homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very, very grateful that there is no snow here. My sister near Atlanta told me it was snowing there this morning.

But that's not what I wanted to tell y'all. Guess what I have? A bottle of Ribena! After more than ten years of being on the Ship, and reading many times of the mysterious Ribena, I will now get to try it myself! Curiosity will be satisfied!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had flurries here in NYC today but nothing stuck. Pretty cold though.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm tired of being cold...I'm on the Gulf Coast, it's not supposed to be freezing!!

It's going to warm up, otherwise I'd wonder. I wouldn't mind more rain though. (It's supposed to be coming, but lately I've bet against it and won most of the time.)

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Houston when the temps start flirting with freezing and the chances of rain go up you no what season it is? Soccer season, the time when I get the pleasure of being outside all the time. But wait you may say how can you play soccer in the rain and mud. Our home field is made of artificial turf so is never to muddy to be played on.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There isn't any snow here in Denver either, other than on the mountain peaks. Who knew this would happen in January?

There is snow in Colorado, along with Taos and Santa Fe are skiing. Looks like PA and NY might have some snow now, too. Good for them if you like the white stuff. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We volunteer for the Meezer Express, which is
Siamese Rescue's way of getting rescue cats to their new homes. Drove 138 miles today, with 2 cats, both good travelers, thank God. One of them is going to Bayonne, New Jersey. That's over 8 hours away, with a total of 6 drivers.

The way it works is that the trip is broken into several legs. We picked the cats up at 0730, then drove to a rendezvous point north of Richmond and handed them to the next driver in the chain. He drove one of them to its new home in Northern Virginia, then handed the other to the next driver; and so on till little LuLu gets to her adopter in New Jersey.

I am in awe of the (volunteer) transport coordinators, who set these runs up. Having to find volunteer drivers all over the East Coast who are willing and able to be at a certain place at a certain time, really is like herding cats.

We're home now with a fire in the fireplace and a cat on every lap. I believe hot cocoa is indicated---as soon as the cat gets off my lap.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's cat mating season, and we are continually being awoken in the middle of the night by yowls of passion (and our dogs' reaction). I caught a couple in flagrante in our neighbor's driveway this morning. Doesn't anybody around here get their cats fixed?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Projectile] 49'ers.

[Projectile] Patriots

My least favorite teams, That's all I have to say.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I celebrated my birthday by observing New Year's Day watching the Rose Parade, thinking back to the micro-brews I enjoyed two nights earlier and eating a sumptuous dinner cooked by my sister whom we were visiting.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've already forgotten what I did on my birthday... If I ever develop a dementia-type forgetfulness, no one will be able to tell. It won't look like anything new. [Roll Eyes] I should read up-thread & see if I wrote you guys about it.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Water pipe coming into the house froze this morning. We have some stored water but sure glad I took a shower last night before going to bed. In fact I did it to warm up. No laundry, no doing up the breakfast dishes, no watering the house plants, just sitting here waiting for the sun to warm things up. If it takes to long, Mr Image may have to take me out for lunch. [Snigger]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I left the house at about 9:30 this morning, the temps were in the low 70's [Eek!] NOT a good thing in TN in the middle of January. Then temps dropped quickly, and a fun-fill rain/windstorm blew through. We were lucky at the house, but it got pretty bad in some places near here. While I don't particularly crave cold weather, I just wish it would settle down and get on with being winter already.

On other, non-weather related news, I spent the morning treking around gathering information on a possible new business venture. My partner, bless his heart, is worried about whether to use tables with simulated maple or walnut laminate tops while I'm the one trying to round up insurance quotes and generate financial projections. I know he's like this, and I know that I will be the nuts and bolts person, and luckily he also knows he is like this, but if he texts me one more time asking my opinion on the color of the chair cushions I just may scream. However, I really think this thing could work.

Watch this space. In a couple of months, I may actually be in business for myself, with all the headaches and anxiety that entails. I want it, I want it, I want it! I'm not getting any younger and if I do fail completely, then I still have time to pick myself back up. But if I don't fail... [Yipee]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oscar P.
Shipmate
# 10412

- Posted      Profile for Oscar P.   Email Oscar P.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Winter in Missouri:
Jan. 16-High of 68 degrees, thunderstorms and hail
Jan. 17-High of 35 degrees, dropping into the teens overnight.

Maybe I should be wearing my t-shirts and shorts underneath my winter coat?

Posts: 93 | From: Gateway to the West | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bess Higgs, How nice to hear of someone starting a new business now. Thanks for the share of the happy thought that there is still hope in the crazy economy. Best Wishes and Prayers for successes.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess the lack of a "like" button is all that separates the Ship from the lower animals.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay, BessHiggs! I'm always happy to hear about new businesses. If your locality is like ours, whenever we see another storefront boarded up our hearts sink, but when we see new construction or a "Now Open!" sign we feel more encouraged.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good for you, BessHiggs! I hope things come together in your favor.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Taking a drive down from Denver Monday was interesting. We encountered wind gusts that tried to knock you off the road, rain, snow, and hail. Another wonderful winter driving experience! [Help] Good to be home.

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hi all,

What can anyone tell me about Austin? I shall be visiting the US for the first time in May for a work conference there and am clueless!

Thanks!

Jenny Ann

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably my favorite city in Texas. The UT campus is very nice, and the bats are awesome. Never lived there, so probably nothing helpful to say unless you have questions, but I've always enjoyed my visits.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gwai, did you mean bars?

I've heard that Austin has great music, and not just C&W.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Gwai, did you mean bars?

I've heard that Austin has great music, and not just C&W.

Bats

Mexican Free-tailed Bats, to be specific.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oddly enough, I actually did mean bats. Austin has a giant bat population, and since bats are harmless,* and the bats by Congress Bridge are generally considered beautiful to see when they fly, they are a tourism draw.

*I'm sure you knew that, but there are always people who don't.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh! I love bats, fantastic!

The ship is amazing.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Oddly enough, I actually did mean bats. Austin has a giant bat population, and since bats are harmless,* and the bats by Congress Bridge are generally considered beautiful to see when they fly, they are a tourism draw.

I have always wanted to see the Austin bats. We have bats here (we once had one get in the house by way of the fireplace, but finally managed to get him outside again), but not in huge colonies.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a slogan you see in Austin on bumperstickers, t-shirts, etc.

KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think anyone stayed to see the Bat Flight at Carlsbad Caverns this summer.

As I recall, most of the shipmeet participants were tired out after wandering through the cave.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Bats are as harmless as... foxes, weasels, 'possums, whatever. I mean, if they find a way to move into your house and deposit 50 pounds of poop between your walls, and if they routinely accidentally blunder into your living room and orbit around, frightened, until you catch them & toss 'em out, and if they leave fleas all over the place...

But, yeah, bats are harmless. [Smile]

They say Austin is no good for surfing... but I bet someone somehow surfs in Austin.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
I don't think anyone stayed to see the Bat Flight at Carlsbad Caverns this summer.

As I recall, most of the shipmeet participants were tired out after wandering through the cave.

Pata, Belle, and I stayed for the bat flight from Carlsbad. The bat flight in Austin was more impressive last summer. The bats must of been coming out for a good 15 to 30 minutes. While in Austin I suggest going to only local places. If you stay through the weekend Pata and I can come up for a quick meet.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lived in Austin for 8 years, still have many friends (and one ex-husband) there. Send me a pm or message on facebook, and I can connect you with people there, if you like.
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There is a slogan you see in Austin on bumperstickers, t-shirts, etc.

KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD

Moo

that is just AWESOME.

my musician friends all say Austin is the go-to place for independent music. I'd take in the scene if I was going there.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Well, yeah. Austin City Limits, festival and/or TV program. A city that grows that should grow a nice variety all over the place.

[ 19. January 2012, 03:40: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All sorts of wildlife, and not just at the bars [Biased] . A friend of mine who lives in Austin has a backyard owl. (And I suspect not too many mice in her yard.)

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

There's a great horned owl living around here. Sometimes he sits on the roof of the house.

The first time I saw one, I called the fish & wildlife folks and asked them if great horned owls ever get cats. (These are seriously large owls.) They told me that sometimes they do. I was all worried about my (now deceased) cat Gus. The wildlife guy asked me how big the cat was. When I told him "24 pounds" he told me Gus was probably safe.

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a trio of Bald Eagles who regularly fly over the field containing our duck blind. It is amazingly cool to stand there on a cold winter morning and watch them soaring around. We always try to make the young 'uns hunting with us how lucky they are to be able to see Bald Eagles in the wild doing eagle stuff.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter-Unit and S-i-L have burrowing owls living very near to them. They sometimes sit on their house. But being only five or six inches high, no cats need worry. They are terribly cute, though.

Aren't we lucky to see wild creatures? Well, most of them. The pythons in the Everglades need to go away.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Speaking of bird neighbors, there is the local roadrunner, actually a pair of them.

JB says "Beep Beep" whenever he passes. "Zippy" appears unimpressed. The dogs ignore the roadrunners; they must have an agreement - or an experience.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

*I'm sure you knew that, but there are always people who don't.

Wow, how cool is that?! I had no idea. My son's Eagle Scout project was making bat houses for a nature learning center in one of the Lake County forest preserves, so I've been lectured many times about how harmless bats are. My daughter, on the other hand, is terrified of the critters, and since she is planning on visiting her best friend who has moved to Austin, I will definitely have to tell her about the Austin Bats. [Two face]

eta: I would love to actually see an owl in "real life" (as opposed to seeing one in a zoo or nature center). That would be awesome. I grew up hearing screechy barn owls late at night at my grandma's farm -- that sound will give you chills.

[ 20. January 2012, 02:56: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

What an awesome picture!

If you start seeing a lot of empty boxes in your yard that have ACME printed on them, you'll need to have a chat with the dogs.

New Mexico has way cooler critters than most places.

[this was in response to MoBo's post]

[ 20. January 2012, 02:57: Message edited by: snowgoose ]

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

jedijudy

# 333

Well, I had heard about the famous roadrunners, but never saw one while at MoBo and JB's digs last summer. So, they do exist?

Another critter story:
Wednesday of this week, the staff ate lunch outside. A honeybee (you know how I love the little things) kept landing on the bread, which had a honey glaze or some such on it. The other ladies don't like bees very much and one of them was pretty scared of our personal bee, so I tried to keep it near me. We were under a tree, and a leaf fell onto the head of the lady to my left. She thought it was the bee. She let out a whoop, flailed her arms, and neatly karate chopped the water goblet so that the base and stem was in the original spot, and the goblet part shattered and fell into my plate! [Killing me]

So, now I ask if she's been attacked by any leaves recently. [Two face]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

eta: I would love to actually see an owl in "real life" (as opposed to seeing one in a zoo or nature center). That would be awesome. I grew up hearing screechy barn owls late at night at my grandma's farm -- that sound will give you chills.

I've had a number of close encounters. They don't get old - owls are really extraordinary; other worldly.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

[Digression] Have you all seen that news clip of Obama doing the Rev Al Green impression at his Apollo Theater event? He really nails it!
[/digression]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I saw the teensy clip of him singing a few words, but nothing of the context. Maybe he can do that more often. [Smile]

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been a rough couple of days here. I've been looking for the perfect bird to join our family, bought a huge cage and everything. And then our parakeet sneaked out when she wasn't supposed to through a tiny crack, and the dog, who thinks he is in charge of telling her what to do, bit her, and she died in my hand. The dog is still alive. But now I feel like we've lost two birds because why bring a new bird into this kind of a situation. Just pets, but a sad household.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Rough, dear, so sorry. I bet the dog was ashamed, if you showed him the bird and projected "disappointed in you" at him.

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scruffy knew right and well that he'd done wrong. But the kids forgave him quicker than we did. Still, I figure they're watching us, and if we don't forgive the dog, then how will they be sure we'd forgive them if they mess up really bad some day. I guess it's good we get practice, hard as it seems.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Oh, there's no question about forgiving an animal. He's just being himself. The making sure he knows he did wrong is to teach him, not to wreak Mommy's vengeance.

I'd say, get whatever birds your heart desires. Make sure of your cautions about cage doors & whatnot, and go for it.

I might do the same sometime -- I'm saving it for an other type of vengeance, though. I like finches, but the FG is driven mad by their chirping. Heh heh heh heh.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

file under Random Observations: there's nothing quite like doing an Oblivion Search to rediscover what a complete dickhead one has been in the past. sometimes I wonder why you all still give me posting privileges. [Hot and Hormonal]

I was very ignorant (and obviously loud about it) when I came to the ship. I do appreciate this place - more than any other reason - for opening my eyes to there being a whole world out there, and I'm not nearly as special as I think I am.

so, thanks, folks. sorry for my big mouth.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Quite frankly, Comet, I love your big mouth a whole lot.
You are very special to me, missy.
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
file under Random Observations: there's nothing quite like doing an Oblivion Search to rediscover what a complete dickhead one has been in the past.

I was fortunate enough to make my worst mistakes in the days when old threads were deleted, rather than sent to Oblivion.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016