homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Irn-Bru Special (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Irn-Bru Special
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been lovely, such a shame to have to go to work! Yes, Aberdeenshire broke the all-time March temperature record today (the previous record was set yesterday).

A couple of days ago on blipfoto there were some absolutely cracking haar photos. We're enough inland that it's dispersed before it reaches us, luckily.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it was glorious here in Aberdeenshire, though I gather it was hotter further inland.

I overheard one woman remarking that the past week had been like summer "except summer doesn't usually last this long."

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hairy dog was pretty much cooked as we walked around Fyvie Estate today. I was out in a strappy top, and I was roasting!

Cattyish, sunscreen out already.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It doesn't seem to be summery now! What do you think of these pictures? Taken early in the morning? Snow!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have about an inch of snow here.
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
there I was with pal strolling along Portobello Prom on Sunday, watching children splash in the sea, seeing the occasional smoke from a beachside barbie. Such a different story as I struggled through the sleet and high winds into the burgh today firmly wrapped up and be-gloved... brrrr!!

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gotta love Scotland. [Axe murder]

(Substitute snow flakes for the hearts, and that is where we're at out my window right now.)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A week on from Cottontail's post, and guess what is still falling past the windows...

It's a day that would win prizes for vileness, even in December: in well-into-April, it is just Wrong.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I've just had a message from one of my friends (we were at school together in Blairgowrie) who lives in Edinburgh now, that she dislikes the "snow" today...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No snow over here in Cumbrae where I am currently ensconced for the week... but 'tis cold.

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do they still paint the rocks to look like crocodiles?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't understand the kind of weather we're getting - it's not just on your side of the Pond. On Palm Sunday we had snow, and today, just over a week later, it was 14°C (the average temp. at this time of year in St. John's is 5°C). Further west it's been even sillier; on the prairies they were having temperatures in the high 20s a couple of weeks ago, and by last week they had over a foot of snow.

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Confirmed crocodile sightings only last summer!
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

They certainly do!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And another piccie

(ps, that's mine and Ken's Mum, her first visit to the rock in over 70 years).

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by busyknitter:
And another piccie

(ps, that's mine and Ken's Mum, her first visit to the rock in over 70 years).

[Smile]

I don't think it can be 70 cos I think I remember going there once when I was a kid, so I'm sure Mum must have been there. Could be going on fifty years though...

I spent two weeks there in 2001 or so, on a Marine Microbiology course. If you think the big creatures look scary you should see the small ones!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

Nope, I checked with Mum. You are remembering a trip to Dunoon when you were 3 (so I wasn't even on the scene).

Before last year's visit she hadn't been to Millport since 1939.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And what is the weather like today? It looked bad on the news - loads of rain? Any snow apart from the mountains?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not as wet as forecast today (but there's always tomorrow). What peeves me is the cold - bar that one freakish week in March, it's been around 10C at best, and frequently just a few degrees above freezing overnight. I'm fed up of socks and jumpers and cardies and fleeces.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Busyknitter, are you the Family Date Rememberer? I recall once my sister and my dad phoning me to settle an argument about what year the family went to Cornwall for a holiday. I said I understood it was 1959, but as I hadn't been born at the time I couldn't be absolutely sure ... [Big Grin]

We're heading to Irn-bru land this weekend (sadly, it's for my mum's funeral), but going to Orkney is always a Good Thing, even when it's for a Bad Reason.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

May it go well in your sadness, and those of others too.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I have to say, it's blowing an absolute hoolie here, and there's been a fair amount of water falling out of the sky. Clearly normal service has been resumed. [Big Grin]

How are the rest of you doing?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

I managed to have the washing out for an hour today before the grey clouds made me too nervous. Of course, since bringing it in it hasn't rained once.

We're OK, enjoying Stirling, and I start my new job in Edinburgh next week (eek).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Scotland! [Big Grin]

I thought y'all might like to see some of your own at the Scotland-Florida mini meet!

See ya later!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had mostly not bad weather at all while we were in Scotland, although our ferry back from Orkney was delayed by five hours through a combination of high-ish winds and a buggered bow-thruster. However, that delay meant we discovered a really good eatery called the Shandwick Inn just off the A9 not far from Tain. If you're ever travelling that way and find you're hungry, it's what the restaurant guides would describe as "worth a detour".

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry for double-post, but having thought about it, that restaurant doesn't really need a detour - you take the turning on the main A9 for Logie Easter Church.

That sign puzzles me: I wonder what it is for the other 364 days of the year? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Sorry for double-post, but having thought about it, that restaurant doesn't really need a detour - you take the turning on the main A9 for Logie Easter Church.

That sign puzzles me: I wonder what it is for the other 364 days of the year? [Big Grin]

I assume the name is about the location of Logie rather than the festival. Somewhere in the other direction there may be a Wester Logie.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry - I was being facetious ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How very out of character!

[Razz]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Sorry - I was being facetious ... [Big Grin]

And I was being pedantic (I can be, you know).

1 May marginally less grim weatherwise than 30 April. I haven't been out betimes to see any Beltane stragglers coming home from Calton Hill. They'll have needed the fires (and the pagan woolly underwear).

[ 01. May 2012, 10:26: Message edited by: Firenze ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Beautiful day here, first lovely day in ages.

Skipped out onto our lawn to wash my face in the May Dew this morning, then remembered about the moss killer I'd put down on Sunday.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Skipped out onto our lawn to wash my face in the May Dew this morning, then remembered about the moss killer I'd put down on Sunday.

Is there something special about May Dew?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Before the advent of modern cosmetics, it was your one hope of a successful skin care regime ( other than painting your face with white lead).
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In Kirkwall the tradition is to climb Wideford Hill, which is a couple of miles outside the town, and wash your face in the May dew to make you beautiful. I've never done it (although D. has); an old school friend of mine said on Facebook today that she'd done it for the first time in her life. Maybe now she's turned 50 she reckons she needs it, but I saw her last week and she looked just fine ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in the Burgh, one is supposed to climb Arthur's Seat on May morning to wash one's face in the dew. I've never done it, but my mother did when she was a student here in the 1960s, and she looks fabulous at 68.

In defiance of David Hume, I thereby infer cause-and-effect, and conclude that there is something magical in the May-dew.
[Angel]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

quote:
In Kirkwall the tradition is to climb Wideford Hill, which is a couple of miles outside the town, and wash your face in the May dew to make you beautiful. I've never done it (although D. has); an old school friend of mine said on Facebook today that she'd done it for the first time in her life. Maybe now she's turned 50 she reckons she needs it, but I saw her last week and she looked just fine ... [Big Grin]

When I was at school a youngster, I always went up the hill, mini-mountain, where we lived and washed my face on the 1st May - and then I'd take some special flowers to my mother - I can't remember which ones, but some were ones we never took indoors, something about them always living in the outdoors, by farms etc.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've always washed my face in the May Dew, (I need all the help I can get!) but I've never gone further than my back garden to do so.

I used to give my daughter's face a quick swipe with a dew-wetted hanky as well, but she's a teen and [Roll Eyes] about it these days.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Moo, I believe it's specifically related to the festival of Beltane.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Yesterday was sunny! And warm! Spent the whole day trying to catch up on a Springsworth of gardening (and I have the terminal exhaustion to prove it).
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Hailstones yesterday, snow today. However, since the snow stopped, the grey clouds have vanished and the sky is a glorious clear blue.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Another (!) sunny day - but temperature still in single figures. Gardened until I reached my puggle threshhold - which sets in after one vegetable bed and a couple of border plants.

However, that is more than 50% of the patch planted up.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I got the grass cut, but was then sent fleeing indoors by large hailstones stotting down.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... my puggle threshhold ... sets in after one vegetable bed ...

[Killing me] I reckon mine would set in after one vegetable ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

On the strength of early sunshine, girding myself for another spell of digging when stuff starting coming down that was indisputably sleet.

May glut the gardening instinct by going out and buying plastic chairs instead.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
May glut the gardening instinct by going out and buying plastic chairs instead.

How about a beautifully bound notebook from a nursery etc which sells gift items. Then you can plan your garden to your heart's content and make lots of lists re jobs to be done and plants to be bought etc. All inside out of the sleet and wind.

That should glut the gardening instinct and give pleasure to the eye and hand. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Foolishly cycled to church this morning with a jumper not a coat. It rained on the way home [Disappointed]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Here, it snowed.

Briefly, admittedly. But snow nevertheless.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
Foolishly cycled to church this morning with a jumper not a coat. It rained on the way home [Disappointed]

I cycled with neither coat nor jumper, as we had yet another morning of glorious sunshine. The wind was little cool, but once I'm moving I don't notice it.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to The Irn-bru thread Arethosemyfeet, We're all mad but friendly!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016