homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Off we go - the new Curacy support thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Off we go - the new Curacy support thread
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed that a lot of people commented that we had lost the Curacy support thread, so I thought I would start one.
Not just for curates though - spouses also welcome.

We are into our third year in curacy. My wife was ordained priest in July 2011. Here we are in leafy suburbia, within my commuting distance of work and in a nice big house where we have hosted two ship meets.
We wouldn't have done this without the vocations thread and other support of Shipmates.
So this is now the place to celebrate where God is leading us and to explore the meaning of, what the vice principal of the college called, 'Expectant Waiting".

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to see this thread- as someone who is just into curacy I can feel the need to post here still!
For instance how do you maintain enthusiasm and consistancy in preaching across 10 different churches? I've to preach on Sunday at 2 churches one a small village one a market town church - therefore numbers at one will be around 6 and at the other 60. I've preached quite a bit in the past but one problem college brought was a reduction in preaching over the two years I was there. Since starting my curacy I'm struggling to put serrmons together which is really frustrating!
Amu hints!!
[Confused]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good - a curacy thread.

I'm also struggling with sermons, not because I'm out of practice, as I did the part time course and continued to preach at my sending church, but because I don't know my new congregation yet and that makes preaching hard as my understanding is that preaching is a two way process and I'm second guessing the congregational bit.

What I've done today for the first time ever in about eight years of writing sermons is to write out a plan of the bare bones of what I'm intending to do in the sermon so that I can see what the flow is like. I'm hoping that by exposing the structure of the piece I can then work out where there is expansion room for a bit more depth in the longer version of the sermon for the bigger congregation and where I can cut back to bare essentials for the smaller congregation who expect shorter sermons.

It is taking much longer than normal to do things in this way but I figure that so much is new at the moment (being ordained, moving house etc) that I need to cut myself a bit of slack.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jante
Have a look at this blog . I have been following this blog since John was a curate in Liverpool. He has recently moved to a very rural situation from an urban one. There is also links to his sermons which he puts on his blog so that everyone in his parishes can see them, which is either good or scary [Confused]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for starting it geroff.

I am loving what I am doing at the moment but I am getting increasingly frustrated by how I am supposed to juggle full time work, parish ministry and IME.

I suspect there may be words yet - there is an obsession with passing more and more exams - whereas I feel formed by the things I have been doing on a practial level like funeral visiting and funerals and want more of this but can't have it as I have to do yet more assignments!

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, 10 years in I can report that preaching does get less intimidating..

Congratulations to you all who have been ordained recently.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks St E- that is comforting [Smile]
Bagpuss I too love what I am doing and I'm fortuinate that our IME doesn't seem to involve more studying, just putting a portfolio together of what we are doing in parish and a mixture of residentials and day sessions for more learning about leadership etc.

--------------------

Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jante:
Thanks St E- that is comforting [Smile]
Bagpuss I too love what I am doing and I'm fortuinate that our IME doesn't seem to involve more studying, just putting a portfolio together of what we are doing in parish and a mixture of residentials and day sessions for more learning about leadership etc.

We have the residentials, day sessions, group meetings, portfolios and refelctive essays to go with it. I already have a related MA but that is not enough!
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

My clergy wife ran her first quiet day today. I am quite relieved because she might get around to some of the everyday stuff now.

My 1000th post!! [Smile]

[ 30. August 2012, 19:16: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you deal with it when you have a noticeable difference of opinion over something from your training incumbent?

I have always understood that differences should not be made public to the congregation, because that is an excellent way of splitting the congo down the middle, and make working together difficult for curate and incumbent.

But then if a member of the congregation who disagrees with your incumbent wants to vent, and then says, 'But what do you think?' it's hard to know exactly what to say. If you say something vague and weaselly, that's exactly how you look. If you give hints without being clear, that's worse.

Any thoughts? I haven't actually encountered this yet, and although I am lucky to have a great training incumbent and a good working relationship, we do differ a fair bit in churchmanship and theology, so I can see it might arise.

[ 01. September 2012, 18:07: Message edited by: Panda ]

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

Panda I am in same situation with my incumbent. We get on famously but do disagree with things as like you are very different in theology and background.

I say my piece very honestly and somdoes she but in the privacy of the study - we NEVER disagree in public.

A couple of times when people have said stuff to me I have just smiled and said it doesn't matter what I think X is the boss and we work together and share the same church
policies and that seems to work for me so far.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Bump.
I know of at least three people here who have now got their own curacy blogs so perhaps we don't need this but lets try again because I know how busy it is for all of you in this pre Christmas season.

--------------------

Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

And there will also be those who are approaching their first curacy who might find it helpful to post.
I'm enjoying my curacy but have been hit by a dreadful cold which is making work feel very hard.
[Waterworks]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also really enjoying being a curate and have just had nearly 2 weeks of being very much below par with a cold [Waterworks] . I lost my voice for 3 days which was rubbish when you do so much talking. I'm meeting my training incumbent tomorrow to talk through the Christmas services and all the other shenanigans that go with the festive season. I need to get well soon to cope with it all.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016