homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hurricane Sandy (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hurricane Sandy
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] prayers for bountiful food and heat and coffee

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is now that the storm has gone and people are trying to recover and more now comes to light i am struck by just how awful the extent of this storm's destruction has been. What an awful night it must have been for the folks in New Jersey and Staten Island. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a lot of sad stories arising out of hurricane Sandy, but this one, in particular, really hurts.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, many people think that the NYC administration has its priorities wrong.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God they've come to their senses. Unbelievable that Bloomberg & co. would even consider letting the marathon go on.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a big fan of Bloomberg and i thought that letting the Marathon go on was a bad idea, but perhaps in fairness, i have to note that while it was evident from the start that things were bad, it seems like it's taken several days for the full extent of how bad they are to come out. It seems like day by day new more catastrophic destruction is revealed. For example, i didn't realise just how extensive the Jersey coast damage was until more news and images came, nor did i realise at first how truly horrible things were in parts of Staten Island, til the couple of days.

Again [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

[ 03. November 2012, 17:07: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but -- Bloomberg is right in the centre of things, and presumably he was getting frequent briefings since Monday directly from emergency services on the extent of the disaster. It was clear by Wednesday that available resources had to be directed to the residents of his city, and not to the visitors who hadn't yet arrived.

He was trying to emulate Guiliani by going ahead with the marathon in the wake of disaster, referring to 9/11 -- but in that case, the marathon was two months after the disaster, and 9/11 didn't have such widespread physical effects on people's homes and neighbourhoods.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

You make a good point Lothiriel. After I posted the above it occurred to me that although I followed the progress of the storm alot on the weather Channel, CNN, MSNBC, etc., the mayor surely had to be privy to more information sources then I would be.

Something that annoys me about coverage of Sandy in the U.S. media. In this case I am not as annoyed as I usually might be since the U.S. was in this case hit particularly hard, but as usual for U.S. media Planet Earth seems to end at U.S. borders. Sandy did terrible damage in parts of the Caribbean, especially poor already-battered Haiti, and little was said in the U.S. media. And while the U.S. media showed the remarkable Sandy-caused turbulence on Lake Michigan in Chicago, I heard not one single word about Toronto, not at all far from the U.S. border, and closer to New York than Chicago is, and Toronto had at least one Sandy-related death, and quite a few people lost power.

But I apologize if the above strays into the Purgatorial realm, so I'll gripe no further.

I will say that when I saw images of the waves in Chicago, it was quite amazing, since I'd never seen waves like that on the Great Lakes, and I immediately thought about Lake Ontario since for an all-too brief time in the 70s Toronto was my home and from that ancient era I have very pleasant memories of the ferry to City Island Park.

[ 04. November 2012, 18:22: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am happy to report that thanks to a team of lovely folks from Florida we now have our power again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are still problems with distributing aid.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016