homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christmas decorations (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas decorations
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A colleague in work saw a house with Christmas deorations and a tree yesterday. A Facebook friend has put her decorations up already. Anyone else seen "trimmed" houses? It's still only November for goodness sake!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen any decorations yet, but I'm hearing Christmas music and Christmas commercials. The U.S. Thanksgiving Day is next Thursday (22 November), so retailers are trying to get shoppers in the mood. Thanksgiving weekend a LOT of people put up their home trees and decorations, and some of the radio stations play All-Christmas-All-the-Time. [Mad]

(I decorate on 24 December, and I listen to Advents CDs during December!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A house across the street from me has had Christmas decorations up for nearly a month.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm somewhat traditional: Christmas decorations up beginning of Advent, and down again on 12th night,i.e. Epiphany.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, EL, although as our house looks like a building site at the moment, the question may be somewhat academic ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
A house across the street from me has had Christmas decorations up for nearly a month.

Moo

Apartment upstairs has had a Christmas wreath on front door for at least six weeks, possibly more. Mine go up after last Sunday in Advent and down at Epiphany.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only are the Oxford Street lights on in all their Marmitey glory, but Regent Street lights are lit, as of yesterday, 13 November (weren't on 6 November)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been winding up a friend on Facebook who has already decorated her salon. Advent Santa, full of lollies, will be hung up on 1Dec, and the Advent candles will come out, but no decorations for as long as possible.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many houses here put up outdoor decorations in early November for Health and Safety reasons. Most have the decency not to turn on the lights until December.

There are some who use generic (icicles, for instance) decorations and leave them up all year.

If I remember I might put out my Nativity scene. I think I have a small tree somewhere. But normally I don't bother. It's a lot of work, and just me to irritate.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We begin hauling everything out on Thanksgiving weekend (United States). As Thanksgiving is a Thursday, and we have Friday off work, that Friday is spent hauling out box upon box of decor.

Then hopefully one of those days is suitable for getting the outside stuff put up. It takes my dear beloved about a week to complete the changeover from late fall/Thanksgiving decor to the full Christmas regalia, and then we take a weekend to do the tree. So from the Friday after Thanksgiving on, some various degree of Christmas decor is evident. It comes down (or starts to) over the New Year's weekend - my dear beloved can't wait for the 12 days of Christmas.

Music is a different story, though - she's been playing is since just before Halloween!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just have a (real) Christmas tree, put up and decorated the first weekend in December.

Nothing else.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just today I saw the Christmas decorations going up downtown. It always looks very festive, but is it really time to decorate? Isn't it only September or something?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, for one, am super excited to decorate my house. BECAUSE I OWN A HOUSE! [Big Grin]

However, I will be decorating the weekend of 1 Advent and the lights should be coming down sometime around Epiphany. First, though, I gotta buy a ladder...

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
November, JJ - doesn't time fly?

We saw our first fully-lit house of the season this evening on the way to the pub after choir practice.

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Bradford, they turned on their town lights early to cover Diwali (this week, incidently). Obviously the homes with giant inflatable santas do not have this excuse.

I consider homes covered in outdoor lights and hideous decorations in November just a seasonal fixture, after Bonfire Night and before Advent. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just received my first Christmas Card. [Disappointed]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We go out and "hunt" for our tree, bring it home, and decorate it (and the house) on Christmas Eve. That way Christmas morning everything still feels all magic and stuff. And the tree comes down in only 12 days so I'm not swimming in wicked little spruce needles. On Epiphany we host a bonfire party for everyone's trees and wreaths. It's great fun.

Yes, some folks are already decorated up, but I havent seen any really trashy displays yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I just received my first Christmas Card. [Disappointed]

My deepest sympathies. [Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the Xmas lights in Dublin (on the street) were turned on yesterday. Cork is turning theirs on today. (Several big trees appeared last friday, the lights across the street appeared over the last week)
Surely it'd save the council money to put them up/turn them on later? Or do christmas lights/decorations encourage people to spend more money, or something?

The decorations inside our house will go up at the beginning of December (actually it's just a tree really, and any cards we get sent). The outside of our building has had santa and wreaths on it since last Monday (5th november!). Our landlord obviously loves christmas.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DIL has had her's up for some weeks despite FB mockery from friends.

I have refrained from comment in thre interests of family harmony [Biased]

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just walked home from friends and we saw a house with the Christmas decorations up..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw my first house. Why is it almost always the really cheap, tacky ones that go up first?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw a tree with lights in a window tonight on my way home.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's outrageous! Santa decorates the tree on Christmas Eve!

Hmph! I bet it is an artificial tree to boot. Santa does NOT decorate artificial trees.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would much rather have Christmas decorations up instead of several my neighbors who have yet to take down the skeletons, plastic jack-o-lanterns, and gruesome severed head which I had to tresspass to ensure was plastic and not flesh, which are still cluttering their front yards.

I would also like to mention I received my first Christmas card from a vendor on October 15th, and pitched an ever-loving fit in the middle of my office.

[ 20. November 2012, 01:41: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't seen anything in the neighbourhood yet, but the restaurant we went to on Saturday night had the decorated tree, tinsel etc. I always wait till Advent when my young grandchildren come and decorate my artificial tree - I don't like killing a real tree for a few weeks of frivolity. I'm afraid the decorations tend to be down by new Year, although my Christmas cards are around for much longer.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First decorated tree of the new season yesterday [Roll Eyes] on the way home from work - a village near ours is always plastered with lights at Christmas. And then later, going out to a friend's, I saw one house with illuminated ladder and Santa*, and goodness knows what-all else - I think my optic nerve shut down in disbelief. [Eek!]

*I nearly wrote 'flashing Santa' but thought better of it...

Mrs. S, shaking her head

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

Like this ?
[Snigger]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There would normally be lots of Christmas lights already around here, but the snow and cold started early enough to stymie most people's decorating efforts.

Except for the folks at this house.

Oy.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

Like this ?
[Snigger]

[Killing me]

Mrs. S - looking for the brain disinfectant

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
There would normally be lots of Christmas lights already around here, but the snow and cold started early enough to stymie most people's decorating efforts.

Oy.

That household must have an insane electric bill.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:

Oy.

I assume the background music is "Silent Night"?
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very simple system for making the outside of my house look festive. I have candle-shaped plug-in lights which go on automatically when it's dark and go off when it's light. I put them on the windowsills, and they look very nice from outdoors. It takes me less than twenty minutes to get them from their storage place and on the windowsills.

I'll put them up in a couple of weeks

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have our family celebration of Thanksgiving early, so on Thanksgiving I get out the first part of our Christmas decorations: my St. Nicholas collection, the Nativity set my mother made, and a stack of children's Christmas picture books.

That's all the Christmas decorating we'll do until Christmas eve, when we put up the tree and the outdoor lights along the eave of our house.

Apparently a few folks in the neighborhood started decorating last weekend -- walking home from the train earlier this week, I could see trees in some of the living rooms as I passed by, and there were lights adorning a few of the houses. I understand that not everyone wants to wait until Christmas eve, but it seems like you ought to at least wait until Thanksgiving!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I was stunned by a handwritten blackboard in our local supermarket reminding us to

'order your turkeys for xma's '

[Ultra confused]

In the words of the immortal Victor Meldrew, I simply could not believe it. Sadly the board itself was out of reach or a wet finger could have delivered any other passing pedants from its malevolent influence.

Mrs. S - I may not know much but I know where the apostrophe should go AND IT IS NOT THERE!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

We decorated the office the other day - which means, I took two small ready decorated trees from the floor by the cupboard and stood them ON the cupboards; a friend draped two large garlands along the top of the screens; and I (defying any H&S committees about) stood on the desks and hung clusters of baubles like bunches of grapes, made using paperclips and elastic bands, from the suspended ceiling.

VERY classy! [Angel] (that's the best I can do for a festive smilie!)

The Festive Mrs. S [Killing me]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me, Mrs S, as I have been away but I thought you could try:

"order your turkey's for Xmas"

Your turkey's what can be left unexplained.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Forgive me, Mrs S, as I have been away but I thought you could try:

"order your turkey's for Xmas"

Your turkey's what can be left unexplained.

Demise, possibly? [Two face]

Mrs. S, snickering quietly to herself...

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Snowman is back! (No, not the Raymond Briggs one.) The Snowman is an big, illuminated snowman who lives in the garden of a nearby house, along with his friends Little Snowman and The Robin. We have been known to take detours past The Snowman's house, just to see him lit up - despite his street being littered with horrible speed humps. We also stopped once to take photos, being careful not to appear like insane stalkers (if that's possible when you're taking picture of a stranger's front garden).

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have a local Snowman too - a house on the other side of the road (luckily not opposite, so we don't have to admire its flashing lights from late November onwards) used to have a large inflatable one in the front garden. Unfortunately it developed a slow puncture, and one morning when I went past it was slumped over their wheelie bin in an attitude which suggested it had just had a VERY heavy night out.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live near some “chavvy” estates and me and the kids deliberately start driving through them in November to see if we can spot some trimmed up houses. There are always one or two!

If it’s left to me the trimmings will go up on the 22nd and be down on the 27th! If it was up to the kids we would put them up when the first ones are spotted on the Chav Estate! The Mrs brings a proper sense of balance to it all and we will put ours up probably on the 15th and they will be down on the 3rd Jan most likely.

We don’t do the outside thing though, apart from a string of multi-coloured lights that go over the garage canopy. Very tasteful in a middle-class way.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some rather OTT friends of mine in New England go the whole hog with an illuminated Santa on a sleigh with reindeer and all sorts - they sent me a photo one year but we decided not to emulate them. Himself has today hung our illuminated Christmas Star over the balcony. We may add some fairy lights later.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Before I moved here, I used to put up a Moravian star outdoors on the first Sunday in Advent and take it down on Epiphany. Unfortunately, it's too windy where I live now.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tree in my neighbours front garden is garlanded with flashing blue lights that shine down the hall into my kitchen. Every time I catch a glimpse I think the rozzers have finally caught up with me, which they may well be called on to do if I succumb one night and sneek out to sabotage the offending lights.
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I would normally put something like this on the sitting-room window-sills at the start of Advent, but they haven't got sills at the moment, so I can't. [Frown]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, who's got the decorations up and who's planning to do it when? [Big Grin]

We're trying to do Christmas slightly differently this year as Nenlet1 is now married so to do exactly the same as we've always done would make us miss her too much. To this end we're having a real tree instead of our usual artificial one and Nenlet2, who works at a local arboretum, is going to be bringing it home today. We're planning to decorate it and the rest of the house on Tuesday evening. I'm so excited! [Big Grin]

Mr Nen and I have just been away for a couple of days and the hotel was decorated for Christmas so our house now feels very naked and plain.

Nen - kid at Christmas.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree was put up this arvo. Earliest we've ever done it. We did it to stop the 'can we put the tree up yet?' from the small person.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
So, who's got the decorations up and who's planning to do it when? [Big Grin]

I leave it until it gets dark on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My urge to decorate is rising...

Of course I didn't bring any Christmas decorations in my suitcase when I moved over here (we bought one in Poland a few months ago) and your average tree seems to be about 15 pounds so I've been too skinflint to buy a tree and trimmings so far. The urge is rising, though...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caved in and bought an artificial one a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. It cost less than a tenner and even sheds needles on the carpet, just like a real one.

I also used to leave putting up the decorations until Christmas Eve, but the sight of the tree with the little lights glowing amidst the branches, gleaming off the red and gold decorations, is such a pleasure that I now put it up at the start of Advent so I can enjoy it for the entire Christmas season.

I don't really decorate anything else, but it's not a big place, and there are usually flowers in seasonal colours.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016