homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Glory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » AS: Remembering Miss_Molly...a Decade in Heaven

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Remembering Miss_Molly...a Decade in Heaven
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ten years ago today, the Ship lost one of our funniest, sweetest, wisest (and most wicked!) Shipmates. Miss_Molly (AKA Sophie Aubrey) had a magnificent heart that held all of us close.

In June of 2002, while I was recovering from surgery, Miss_Molly was in the hospital with what the doctors thought was pneumonia. We called each other frequently during that time, laughing and talking and getting to know each other IRL, as many other Shipmates did at that time.

Sadly, the doctors were very mistaken about Molly's diagnosis. Who can blame them? She had never smoked or been exposed to excessive amounts of carcinogens, yet she had lung cancer. We were gifted with six months of her presence after the true problem was discovered.

The Ship had sekrit meetings to figure out something we could to to help and comfort her, beyond the phone calls and cards and pictures we sent. So, we created a Quilt for her! In order to keep it secret, we referred to it as the Hamster Ball when it was necessary to mention it on the Boards. So, folks from around the world made one or more squares, and teams in Great Britain, and the US each put half of the quilt together. I had the great honor of joining the two halves and adding the binding.

You can see pictures of Molly with her quilt here. There are several pictures. Click the photostream to see them all. The last photo shows Molly's computer on the Ship page after she had passed. Many grateful thanks to St. Sebastian who took the pictures, and delivered the Hamster Ball. He was a faithful IRL representation of the Ship to Molly during that difficult time. He is indeed a Saint, IMHO.

Molly's thread Fields of Gold will give those who didn't know her an idea of her heart and mind. I still cry when I read it. I suspect those who never knew her here will cry, too.

On that thread, you will see other very missed Shipmates.

This scene in the Nativity Play happens just after we heard of her passing. Reading it again, there are tears streaming down my face. The memories are just as powerful today as they were a decade ago.

Miss_Molly, you were a vital and lovely part of this Ship of Fools. We miss you and love you still. Rest well, sweet friend. [Tear] [Votive]

[ 15. February 2013, 03:07: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for this.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my goodness! Thank you Jedijudy for posting this. It may seem strange to newer shipmates but Miss Molly always somehow seems to be part of the Ship still. She was such a blessing to the Ship. [Votive]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every time I hear Fields of Gold, I mentally say hi to Molly.

That heavenly Shipmeet started too early and is already too big. But it's nice to think that someone is saving a seat for us.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems impossible that it has really been ten years.

... let us remember before God all those who rejoice with us, but upon another shore, and in a greater light ... whose hope was in the Word made flesh, and with whom in the Lord Jesus we are for ever one. [Votive]

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it's hard to believe it is 10 years ago now. I was thinking of her only yesterday - I didn't know her that well but she certainly made an impact on the Ship. I'll always remember her graciousness.

Good to see the quilt again, too. It was a lovely piece of work with such varied contributions from everyone.

May she rest in peace, and [Votive] for you too JJ. It can be hard to lose a friend.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, I am surprised it's 10 years! I remember when she 'joined' us at a Shipmeet in Exeter - it was at Sean and Bronwyn's house and someone phoned her so she could talk to us all and join in the fun. [Yipee]

I don't quite remember how we got her to join in the 'suck up the tea through a Tim Tam' jape, perhaps it was one of those newfangled 'interactive' phones? [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is very pre-emptive, but my partner and I have discussed names for our potential children (he only likes very specific names, and the ones we agree on form a very short list), we came to the decision that our first girl will be called Molly. I've been waiting for a nudge to print out fields of Gold and gather some bits for her when she's old enough to know of the wonderful lady who shares her name.
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read that thread about this time every year and every year it makes me cry. Remembering Miss Molly indeed and those other Shipmates with her.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly, I do remember the night I got the call from Erin, that they were shutting down the ship and turned it all to black print. She, Simon and others had prepared the site beforehand. It was one long night 10 years ago and it still makes me cry. [Tear]

I remember talking to Miss Molly on the phone quite a bit, and now I wish I would have taped some of them, they were priceless. We laughed, we cried, we were silly.

I have the tape of Miss Molly's favorite songs that Dolphy sent me. I need to be alone when I hear it because I am a crying wreck. Well, that's happening now, so I better get a Kleenex.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Molly's thread Fields of Gold will give those who didn't know her an idea of her heart and mind. I still cry when I read it. I suspect those who never knew her here will cry, too.

That's me.

I have copied the print version of the thread, and with an addendum of avatars and signatures plus other things I may find I am printing it out as a gift to my supervising Chaplain and the Tweed Hospital Chaplains as a Christmas gift for their support when I was a Chaplain in training. (They are not much for using the internet)
I realise that by now people's signatures, and even names may have changed, but will have to accept that.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
I've been waiting for a nudge to print out fields of Gold and gather some bits for her when she's old enough to know of the wonderful lady who shares her name.

I can send you a doc copy of mine if you would like it.
At the moment it is about 480 pages long. I may be able to shorten it by removing some spacing, as long as the pages still look OK for reading. The major thread I will print in B/W, but the avatars will be in colour.

There is also an account soemwhere about her funeral and her parents' reaction to the SoF support. I think that may be in a MW report.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
There is also an account soemwhere about her funeral and her parents' reaction to the SoF support. I think that may be in a MW report.

It's here.
[Tear]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Thanks
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the link to the MW report, Pigwidgeon. In it is this link.

It is not lost on me that the author has been on her own Heavenly Adventure for almost two years, now.

In my heart, I know it's inevitable that a certain number of people from any community will die. It just seems so strange how often it is that the larger than life people go to Glory soonest.

[ETA Pigwidgeon's name]

[ 19. December 2012, 13:31: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I still have saved MSN messages from her somewhere. Can't believe it's been ten years. How well we are all aging... (one good thing about avatars!)

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't believe it's been 10 years ... She was such a lovely person, with a wicked sense of humour.

For Molly and everyone who knew and loved her [Votive]

Tubbs

[ 20. December 2012, 14:44: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10 years! I didn't know Miss Molly - but couldn't be unaware of her and her presence. [Votive] for Miss Molly, Gambit, Erin and all our other beloved Shipmates.

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow. Where did those ten years go?

I guess they brought us ten years closer to Molly...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016