homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Rails to the future (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Rails to the future
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
Crossrail actually makes Stratford more convenient to the West End and City than Euston.

'Will'. But I get your point, except that it is not within walking distance. But to add, either way HS2 is going to involve replacing or remodelling Euston, which must be a good thing. It is a hateful place. Bring back the Arch!

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
Last year we went by train from Ebbsfleet in Kent to Regensburg in Bavaria with an overnight stop in Cologne. In fact the fare was only slightly more expensive than flying and of course the train takes you to your destination and not some airport 30 miles away which usually makes it necessary to hire a car or take a bus. I don't know what sort of line Heidelberg is on but it is not far from Frankfurt which is very easy to get to on the ICE train system at 150mph more or less all the way from Cologne.

I'm going to look into it. I much prefer the train to flying or driving (Don't tell my son who is about to become a pilot!)

When we fly to Frankfurt we get the ICE train to Mannheim, then the local train to Heidelberg. So I'm not sure how many changes it would mean from Manchester - but it'd be great fun!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

When we fly to Frankfurt we get the ICE train to Mannheim, then the local train to Heidelberg. So I'm not sure how many changes it would mean from Manchester - but it'd be great fun!

Four changes seems to be the best you can do it, from Manchester. But easily achievable in one day with a not too early start.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can be done with three changes: London; Brussels; Frankfurt; or London; Brussels; Cologne. Leaving at 07.55 from Manchester you can be in Heidelberg at 19.12 (via Frankfurt) or 19.34 (via Cologne). Information from DB online.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't a thread like this tempt all the clerical anoraks out of the woodwork?

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Asperger's Syndrome didn't exist when I was a schoolboy. Apparently now it simply rates as Autism. Either way I never cared for wearing anoraks.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

They weren't invented when I was a schoolboy. [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016