homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Egyptian President described Jews as 'descendants of apes and pigs' (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Egyptian President described Jews as 'descendants of apes and pigs'
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this report

So how should Israel react?

--------------------
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Posts: 5018 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing I would observe is that it was not the Egyptian President per se, but the man who became the Egyptian President. Which I think is important because my idea of the appropriate response is affected by that.

Having said that, he should be given an opportunity to respond and apologise.

If there is an Egyptian ambassador in Israel, then it would be appropriate to bring the ambassador in and say that such comments are unacceptable.

If the comments had been made NOW then I would have said pretty well every country that has an Egyptian ambassador ought to be bringing them in and saying that such comments are unacceptable. And if he repeats or confirms such comments now, the same would apply.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to joke around too much, but "descendant of an ape" isn't much of an insult in this age.

You're also misrepresenting what he's said, as far as I can tell from the article, which is that "the Zionists"—the most-common term for Israelis, especially their leaders, among those who reject the Israeli state—are the descendants of apes and pigs, not Jews in general.

Now I'm sure we can debate all the rest of it (one-state solution, etc.) all day, and I certainly don't agree with almost any of what he said. But let's be honest about who he's calling the descendants of apes and pigs.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.

Two things:

--I suspect that's probably a very ancient Arabic form of insult. Not excusing it. But probably long predates Darwin.

--How common is it for Egyptians to believe in evolution?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So we're actually talking about a political insult rather than an ethnic one? Sounds like the Arabic equivalent of calling someone a son-of-a-bitch. Not polite, and not helpful, but it's intemperate language, not anti-semitic hate speech.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

- Posted      Profile for Ender's Shadow   Email Ender's Shadow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Not to joke around too much, but "descendant of an ape" isn't much of an insult in this age.

But the insult 'descendant of PIGS', unclean in both Judaism and Islam, IS a serious insult.
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
You're also misrepresenting what he's said, as far as I can tell from the article, which is that "the Zionists"—the most-common term for Israelis, especially their leaders, among those who reject the Israeli state—are the descendants of apes and pigs, not Jews in general.

Now I'm sure we can debate all the rest of it (one-state solution, etc.) all day, and I certainly don't agree with almost any of what he said. But let's be honest about who he's calling the descendants of apes and pigs.

Except that ignores the allegation of clear anti-Semitism in the last paragraph: 'The Jews, he said, "have been fanning the flames of civil strife wherever they were throughout history. They are hostile by nature.... '

--------------------

Please don't refer to me as 'Ender' - the whole point of Ender's Shadow is that he isn't Ender.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's discussion on another thread of what has been called the 'n' word. If this report is true, this man has used the equivalent and should be judged by all right thinking people accordingly. Otherwise, nobody has any right to condemn anyone for using any term of abuse in any context.

The argument 'he was only condemning Zionists, not Jews in general' is specious, particularly in the context of gratuitous abuse by one Middle Eastern demagogue among many. Would it be equally acceptable or unacceptable for an Israeli politician to describe all Moslems or all Egyptians as 'descendants of apes and pigs'?

I assume in the context that either way accusing a person of having pig ancestors is the real insult, rather than the ape one, but the ape one does convey the accusation of being subhuman.

So much for all the commentators who called the riots the Arab Spring and presented it as the coming of peace, democracy and all forms of loveliness.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Israel should react by blessing and being a blessing.

It isn't, hence the abuse.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being technically a 'half-brother' of the target audience of the president's remark - he has unwittingly labelled himself the same in the eyes that is of the Egyptian electorate, from under whose feet he has pulled the rug, failing to abide by the wishes of the overall Egyptian electorate.
Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to add - I understand though that the remarks were made before he became president.
Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
According to this report

So how should Israel react?

What do you think?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morsi's direct quotes throughout refer to "Zionists". The Jerusalem Post article uses "Jews" and the thread title does so too, which introduces immense heat but no light to the debate.

I think that tells us how the JP expects and possibly hopes Israel to react.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Morsi's direct quotes throughout refer to "Zionists". The Jerusalem Post article uses "Jews" and the thread title does so too, which introduces immense heat but no light to the debate.

I think that tells us how the JP expects and possibly hopes Israel to react.

No - the FINAL quote that I've already repeated once can only apply to Jews 'throughout history'. And the fact that a man who is now president as recently as 2 years ago is a blatant racist in his comments makes his legitimacy in any normal western community negligible. The fact that the response of many of the posters here is to try to shade and ignore this issue is, in my mind, perverse.

As far as the designation of JEWS, not Zionists as the descendants of apes and pigs are concerned, it is very common in Islam; the fact that Morsi transferred the allegation to 'Zionists' is of course the way Islamists try to avoid allegations of anti-Semitism. However the reality is, to any reasonable observer, that this is merely spin. And the fact that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are broadcast on Egyptian TV seems to confirm the real subtext.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he's obviously being inflammatory and trying to get a reaction.

Is the Pope a Catholic?

I can remember a strongly Welsh nationalist councillor in Bangor or somewhere in North Wales referring to Liverpudlians and English people in general as 'rats' and 'pigs'. If he'd have referred to Jewish, black or Asian people that way he'd have received a heck of a lot more censure than he actually received and also the censure he so richly deserved.

There are bozos all over the place. Sadly, and dangerously, there's one who is now President of Egypt.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expect he does mix his anti-Zionism with anti-semitism. It would certainly go with the territory.

So what next? The answer to the OP is "nothing". What would you suggest?

I'm not sure what "legitimacy in Western community"
means in practice. He is currently the elected leader of Egypt, a country where the West previously propped up an unelected tyrant. He's the guy we need to deal with, whatever we say about his racism.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yebbut. It does mean we should be much more outspoken in siding with Copts who have the courage to express reservations about him.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With many Arab leaders, Arafat used to be just the same, it depends on who the audience is, what level of vitreol they will pour over Israel. In a letter written to Israeli President Shimon Peres in October 2012, Morsi called him a "great and good friend" and called for "maintaining and strengthening the cordial relations which so happily exist between our two countries." The previous remarks were probably for his Muslim Brotherhood audience, where the latter are to impress the international community. What's important is what he lives by.

The Peace Treaty of 1979 has brought some stability to the region. I have feared that the Muslim Brotherhood won't want to continue with it, but from Morsi's letter, it seems that he is being a pragmatist and won't inflame further this troubled region. With regards to persecution of the Copts, the new mood in Egypt is not favourable to this ancient community, who should always be in our prayers.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
What's important is what he lives by.

Exactly. We should side with the Copts anyway - they need our support. We should speak out against Morsi if he persecutes them. Whether he is an anti-semite who persecutes copts or an egalitarian persecuter is neither here not there. But when we do speak out against Morsi we should remember our country's longstanding alignment with Mubarak. He really was an illegitimate dictator, and the charges of hypocrisy will stick.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on mdijon.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
There are bozos all over the place. Sadly, and dangerously, there's one who is now President of Egypt.

I would argue that anti-semitic ugliness coming from the leader of a country bordering on Israel is in a different league from anti-English ugliness coming from a Welshman. The act of comparing them is almost insulting.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I would argue that anti-semitic ugliness coming from the leader of a country bordering on Israel is in a different league from anti-English ugliness coming from a Welshman. The act of comparing them is almost insulting.

Just curious to hear the argument: why?
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because Egypt can do a hell of a lot more damage to Israel than Wales can to England.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Precisely.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Because Egypt can do a hell of a lot more damage to Israel than Wales can to England.

and because we are talking about the President, not A Welshman...

My own response to these revelations is to argue that the West should be far less willing to pressurise Israel to lower its guard and give up the things, such as control of the areas taken over in 1967, that offer a degree of security. There really are a lot of people in the countries surrounding Israel who have no compunction about destroying Israel and persecuting Jews.

We often hear cute stories like: 'when Jewish and Arab children get to play together, they get on really well - why can't Israel leave the territories?' This of course ignores the continuing presence of the adults who would intervene when the children fall out. Given the experience of Gaza, where Israel tried this strategy and got rewarded by a steady flow of rockets landing in their homes, the question is: 'who would act as the adults in that scenario?'. Given the failure of the UN to control Hezbullah in Lebanon, that possibility is also apparently a failure.

Does this mean that Israel should get a free pass to do whatever it likes? No, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and be understanding of the pressures and history in the situation. Sometimes there have been stunts that proved to be total lies. Sometimes the story needs context: that a closed checkpoint stops an ambulance needs to be seen in the context of the fact that ambulances have been used for bombs in the past. (google 'palestinian ambulance bomb' for more such stories). And yes, sometimes Israel has got it wrong. But compared with the routine and unapologetic use of terror tactics targeting civilians (bombs on buses) as well as the gratuitous lobbing rockets over the border from Gaza, it's not got a bad record. And so has everyone else: the failures don't totally delegitimate the cause they are fighting for.

So perhaps the follow-up question is: Is it rational to believe there is a solution to the situation in Israel?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So basically, you're saying that because an Egyptian has said bad things about Israelis, those same Israelis should continue oppressing Palestinians?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
So basically, you're saying that because an Egyptian has said bad things about Israelis, those same Israelis should continue oppressing Palestinians?

Never mind oppressing them, the figures for killing them ought to be considered too. I think the ratio of Palestinian:Israeli death due to violent action, whether terrorist or police & armed forces is about 3:1.

[ 07. January 2013, 12:06: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is a lot closer than presented by many.

Not that it's a league table of badness.

Anyway, it's easy for me to say that the Israeli government should react with grace. I'm not facing neighbours who want to kill me. But still.

Even people who lives thousands of miles away who are anti-Israel or pro-Israel can't be civil to each other.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So perhaps the follow-up question is: Is it rational to believe there is a solution to the situation in Israel?

I notice that you never gave your answer to the question in your OP.

Why does the follow-up question require a new thread? Are you no longer interested in this one? Wait - are you planning on opening a new thread every day? (How exciting - it'll be like the 12 days of Christmas!)

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll tell you precisely how Israel SHOULDN'T react. With anything non-peaceful.

Because you're not going to disprove the 'descendants of apes and pigs' part by proving the 'there can be no peace' part.

[ 07. January 2013, 12:22: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:

Nice attempt at spin. No, what I am saying is that this attitude is typical of widespread attitudes in the Arab world which make it deeply unfair to expect the Israelis to be too forthcoming in negotiations. In the interim, the present experience of the Arabs follows directly as a result of the abuse of the previously relaxed situation to carry out the murder of civilians by bombings. Is this ideal? No. Is this the least worst solution for the foreseeable future? Probably.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is this the least worst solution for the foreseeable future? Probably.

I imagine that such a conclusion depends greatly on which side of the wall one sees oneself as being.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Palestinians stopped firing their rockets from installations within residential areas there would be fewer civilian deaths.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Is this the least worst solution for the foreseeable future? Probably.

I imagine that such a conclusion depends greatly on which side of the wall one sees oneself as being.
I agree.

That view could change a little if (hypothetically speaking) Scotland were to become independent...

In a dispute with England over the territory around Berwick, Scotland occupies and annexes England down to a line between Stoke-on-Trent and Scunthorpe. A period of brutal oppression in the cities of Doncaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle follows, after which England (supported by Wales, the Netherlands and Norway) is goaded into starting a war which the Scottish win with the use of undeclared chemical weapons, taking over everything from the Severn Estuary to King's Lynn. Things settle down a bit as those left who didn't manage to escape to Wales or the unoccupied parts of England are deliberately starved by the Scots living off the fat of the land, and anybody remotely suspected of being in favour of English self-determination jailed regardless of whether there's any substance to those allegations. The enforced famine, mass rapes and disproportionate reprisals by the Glasgow-based secret police doesn't manage to completely kill the resolve of the English, some of whom decide to "abuse of the previously relaxed situation to carry out the murder of civilians by bombings" in Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Ender's Shadow - you manage to escape from occupied Manchester and make it to Ireland via Wales, narrowly avoiding a missile strike aimed at you (because a friend was tortured into telling the Scots you were a bomb-maker) which instead takes out 31 civilians near Aberystwyth. In Dublin, a journalist asks you of your opinion about the situation in the Israeli-occupied Palestian Territories. Is your answer still "keep on sticking it to them nasty Palestinians cos it's the least bad solution, nuke them for all I care" or does your experience give you a more rounded view on that conflict?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Whoa, wait, who said that? Tell me, so I can kick their kneecaps.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

Quoth Ender's Shadow:

quote:
My own response to these revelations [namely the Egyptian PM saying bad things about Israelis] is to argue that the West should be far less willing to pressurise Israel to lower its guard and give up the things, such as control of the areas taken over in 1967 [namely Palestinian land, from which the Palestinians are being ethnically cleansed] , that offer a degree of security.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

Quoth Ender's Shadow:

quote:
My own response to these revelations [namely the Egyptian PM saying bad things about Israelis] is to argue that the West should be far less willing to pressurise Israel to lower its guard and give up the things, such as control of the areas taken over in 1967 [namely Palestinian land, from which the Palestinians are being ethnically cleansed] , that offer a degree of security.

Oh, God. Him.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Morsi is historically an anti-semite.

Uh huh. What a surprise.

And Egypt can hurt Israel ? Without committing suicide ? Complete social collapse ? Setting the world on fire ? And if she succeeeds in hurting Israel enough, without WORSE ? A hydrogen bomb or 10 over Cairo and Tehran for nowt ?

WE are the enemy.

[ 07. January 2013, 16:54: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender's Shadow
Shipmate
# 2272

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Is your answer still "keep on sticking it to them nasty Palestinians cos it's the least bad solution, nuke them for all I care" or does your experience give you a more rounded view on that conflict?

The question is properly answered by reference to the Just War theory; given that the Arabs totally fail to justify their resistance in those terms, their behaviour is morally flawed. That their behaviour has resulted in their conditions getting progressively worse is IMNSHO an example of how sin does bring its own punishment.

And it is totally simplistic to be so negative about the present experience of most of the Arabs; by the standards of history they are extremely well off. They don't have a political voice? Neither did most of the people in most of history - and the New Testament doesn't make a big deal of it. Yes, there have been some really bad decisions by Israel in choosing the route of the wall, but I've no doubt they have every right to build it.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I wonder how those arguments would wash with you if the UK population lived under the sorts of conditions that the Palestinians do? You'd content yourself by remembering that we didn't have democracy under the Romans either and some of us are actually quite well off?

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but I've no doubt they have every right to build it.

On Israeli land, certainly. That means the 1948 borders. The location is the entire point.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The question is properly answered by reference to the Just War theory; given that the Arabs totally fail to justify their resistance in those terms, their behaviour is morally flawed. ...

AIUI, Just War theory is a Christian creation. Why would you expect non-Christians to justify their behaviour in Christian terms? Why expect the Just War theory to be universally applicable? ('Cause not everyone agrees with it ... )

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Especially Jesus. But He doesn't count in Christendom.

We are the enemy.

[ 07. January 2013, 17:32: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
The question is properly answered by reference to the Just War theory; given that the Arabs totally fail to justify their resistance in those terms, their behaviour is morally flawed.

Please explain how Palestinian Arab justification for pushing back against the occupiers of their ancestral lands is flawed.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The question is properly answered by reference to the Just War theory; given that the Arabs totally fail to justify their resistance in those terms, their behaviour is morally flawed.

That just tells me that the behaviour of both sides is morally flawed. Which I already knew.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The New Testament doesn't make a big deal of people not having a political voice ...

Ok, so that means its alright to deny such a thing to people then ...

[Roll Eyes]

Last time I looked the NT didn't have a great deal to say about ecology, about art, about ways to organise carnivals or town-councils, how to run the local swimming baths ...

So none of these things are important either ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
I wonder how those arguments would wash with you if the UK population lived under the sorts of conditions that the Palestinians do?

You see we can play this game all day...

How would you feel if you were living in Israel under the terror of indiscriminate bombs raining down on civilian areas - not in the attempt at precision thath te Israeli's aim at, but just freely lobbed into Israeli territory without care?

Also I posit... How do you feel about a terrorist organisation placing missile lauchspots and weapons caches in civilian areas, using people as a human shield and playing one hell of a PR game with the resultant problems they created... a PR game that the left-wing media in the UK at least laps up with great relish and uses to distort facts...

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
The question is properly answered by reference to the Just War theory; given that the Arabs totally fail to justify their resistance in those terms, their behaviour is morally flawed. ...

AIUI, Just War theory is a Christian creation. Why would you expect non-Christians to justify their behaviour in Christian terms? Why expect the Just War theory to be universally applicable? ('Cause not everyone agrees with it ... )
There is a form of Islamic 'Just War Theory' out there. From what Iremember it is not widespread, nor binding... just for people's information...

quote:
Please explain how Palestinian Arab justification for pushing back against the occupiers of their ancestral lands is flawed.

A very flawed argument that requires little response, however, where do you draw the line for ancestral homeland? Surely the Jewish people as an ethnic group can claim the same 'ancestral homeland' defence?
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Why do you play it?

--------------------
Love wins

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Why do you play it?

Im not saying I'm going to play it - I have other games that are much more satisfying to play elsewhere! I was just pointing out the shakiness and circular nature of the arguments normally put forwards in the Israel-Palestine argument. The only way to make progress is to abide by the international legal agreements already agreed to (and broken by both sides) such as the Oslo Treaty (which some have said is undermined by the recent action taken at the UN) and to work from them.

Comments such as those by Morsi given in the OP (whether years ago or present) do not help the situation, and only when Israel's neighbours begin to accept that Israel should have a right to exist in peace then Israel will not settle down because until it feels like it can live at peace without fear of annihilation then nothing lasting will happen...

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

OK Sergius-Melli, despite your 'How would/do you feel'.

Israel's neighbours can and will NEVER submit to Christendom's terms, they are too broken. Christendom must have, can have NO terms.

We must lay our strength down. Before they make us destroy them completely. And ourselves in the process.

God forbid that we should repeat and worse that which was fulfilled in the first century.

Where is the Christian lead in this? Where is our founder in this?

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
A very flawed argument that requires little response,

Ever the claim of the person incapable of arguing their corner. Sure beats putting up a rational case for your point, doesn't it? Bravo.

quote:
however, where do you draw the line for ancestral homeland? Surely the Jewish people as an ethnic group can claim the same 'ancestral homeland' defence?
Seeing somebody else steal your grandfather's olive orchard and drive your family off it is rather a different thing from seeing someone living in an olive orchard on land you read about in a book, that your ancient ancestors may or may not have lived on 2000 years ago.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016