homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New ++Armagh, old wine in old wineskins

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: New ++Armagh, old wine in old wineskins
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rome has appointed Msgr Eamon Martin, currently Diocesan Administrator of Derry as Coadjutor ++Armagh, assisting ++Sean Brady and will succeed him on whenever Rome deems he can retire.

Early last year I was in Pennyburn Church in Derry with my parents, and it was interesting to hear Msgr Martin's homily. If his homily is anything to go by, Rome has decided that a competent manager of men leavened with a folksy nostalgia for the Ireland of large families, obedience to authority and the family Rosary is the way to navigate out of the self imposed troubles of the Catholic Church in Ireland over the last twenty years, which were essentially the outworking of its abuse of its absolute authority.

So, to paraphrase the late ++John Charles McQuaid after Vatican II, no change will trouble the tranquil Christian lives of the Catholics of Ireland.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
So, to paraphrase the late ++John Charles McQuaid after Vatican II, no change will trouble the tranquil Christian lives of the Catholics of Ireland.

The turf still simmers in the hearth, Mrs Doyle is plying Father with tea, and every evening Pappy entertains his 11 rosy cheeked children with his trusty fiddle. Is that a true picture of C21 Ireland, and if so, do you prefer it that way?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:

The turf still simmers in the hearth, Mrs Doyle is plying Father with tea, and every evening Pappy entertains his 11 rosy cheeked children with his trusty fiddle. Is that a true picture of C21 Ireland, and if so, do you prefer it that way?
I certainly don't.
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even though non-diocesan bishops often go to Armagh (William Conway went from auxiliary in 1963, Tom Fee aka Tomás Ó Fiaich from Maynooth in 1977), and Irish shipmates are likely better-informed than I, but it initially looks like a vote of non-confidence in the existing Irish hierarchy. Some news reports suggest that some candidates had declined consideration.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have known Mgr Martin well for five years now, Ronald, and I can assure you that he is not Sean Brady redux, let alone one given to nostalgia for a supposed past. Neither, unsurprisingly, does he believe in the brave new world of secularised post-Catholic Ireland.

His appointment indicates to me that the Holy See, at least in the person of Abp Brown, is deadly serious about reforming the Irish Hierarchy both in kind and number.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope you're right Trisagion, but what I've seen and heard bears an uncanny resemblance to De Valere's dream of a 'Catholic' Ireland theme park [shudder]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Trisagion is correct in that the Vatican (as well as the Irish) feel that things need a change in direction. The Irish hierarchy's credibility, in part due to their own failings during the child abuse crisis, is at a low, and changes at the top are a good place to start. What is less clear is the direction of these changes. Even if the Vatican and Irish church figures are in agreement, it will takes time to change a large ship's direction. What would concern me is the possibility that personnel and structural changes alone would be deemed to be sufficient.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
Neither, unsurprisingly, does he believe in the brave new world of secularised post-Catholic Ireland.

Which is as well as such a place - as we know - doesn't exist. It's much more complex and challenging than mere secularism! I'm sure there'll be a lot of good will towards him and his new role. I wish him well.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
I have known Mgr Martin well for five years now, Ronald, and I can assure you that he is not Sean Brady redux, let alone one given to nostalgia for a supposed past. Neither, unsurprisingly, does he believe in the brave new world of secularised post-Catholic Ireland.

His appointment indicates to me that the Holy See, at least in the person of Abp Brown, is deadly serious about reforming the Irish Hierarchy both in kind and number.

Thank you Trisagion, you have given me some hope that Msgr Martin won't be what I feared, another ++Armagh in the mould of ++Brady. In that case I join with Anselmina in wishing him well and sincerely hope that the next twenty years of the Church in Ireland will not be as defensive as the last.
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Which is as well as such a place - as we know - doesn't exist. It's much more complex and challenging than mere secularism!

I agree but I do sometimes get the feeling that such a place is part of the desiderata of the Dublin 6 based authors of op-ed pieces in the Irish Times and the Irish Independent,

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
then, there's the cowardly old world of lazy 'thinking'

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dublin 6 is still going to church! It's not as clear cut as you might think.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

I thought that they were in Dublin 4.
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Ok, I'll be a little clearer - it's certain churches that have seen a rapid decline, not areas, and I can understand it. It can't be easy to continue to worship in a church where a former priest was an abuser or where abuse by that priest actually occurred. There are people who went to other churches and some that didn't go anywhere else, but overall there isn't the mass exodus to secularism that the press would have liked.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016