homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » God on trial. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God on trial.
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:

Instead of ranting at God, why not reserve all your anger for those who are heinously evil?

I for one do not rant at God; my ?anger? disgust ? outrage ? is at the twisted idea of God that you are putting forward. If God were as evil as you portray Him to be - wiping out whole tribes of people as "punishment" for disobedience - why would any decent person want anything to do with Him ?

Whereas I suggest to you that the fact that there are so many decent people around is a reflection of Christian influence.

You've now repeated your suggestion that those against whom the Israelites were urged by their priests to commit genocide deserved it because of their heinous evil. But when asked what they'd done, you more or less admit that their supposed crimes are nothing that would justify genocide to any reasonable 21st century person, which unfortunately for you is all the audience you have.

I'd put it this way - to the extent that God is like unto a human being, then his actions can be judged as moral or immoral using exactly the same criteria as we would judge the actions of a human being who lived in this or any other century. Conversely, to the extent that God is strange beyond our understanding, then a human-centred view of what His actions are and of His morality are likely to be inapplicable.

But you want it both ways. You want to be able to say "God is good" but query what moral framework we can possibly have for saying that an action attributed to God is evil. You want to say that God is so non-human that human categories such as good and evil don't apply, and then say that He's so human that we can have a father-son relationship with Him.

Your whole approach seems to be nothing more than special pleading.

Whereas anyone with any insight knows exactly where the impulse to genocide comes from. Not from God, the source of all good desires and all just works, etc. But from human nature. The sort of human nature we see at work in conservative politics - the politics of fear of strangers. The same people who want tough immigration controls, who want people to carry guns, who make a fetish of law and order and then seek to use the forces of law and order to enforce conformity to social norms. Those sort of conservatives - well, genocide is just a little further down that road.

But of course, accepting that would mean that the Bible isn't quite telling the whole truth...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
So far, you haven't answered that.

You likely believe two things. First, that God is bound by your morals. As you can tell me that I'm immoral if I kill someone innocent, so you can tell God that He is immoral if He kills someone innocent. But that is simply a non sequitur. Whether one believes that God is a moral agent or not (I don't, by the way), there simply is no reason why what is good for you must be good for God. If spiders were free and intelligent agents, would it be correct to condemn a female spider as murderess and cannibal if she eats her male partner after copulation? No, that would be imposing morals fit for a human being on a spider. But a spider is not a human being. Much less is God (as God) a human being.

Second, you believe that your morals can limit you even over and against God. Killing an innocent is at least always wrong for you, even if perhaps not for a spider or God Himself. And that remains so even if God says otherwise. But God is not like your boss or commanding officer who tells you what to do in a way that you can refuse (even if it perhaps would cost you dearly to refuse). God can rearrange your moral system as easily as anything else in the universe. And indeed He has arranged your moral system in the first place (by various means). Whatever moral grounds you are planting your feet on now, ready to defy God, it is provided by God. If He really wants to move you, then He's simply going to move both you and the moral grounds you stand on.

Just to pick up on these two paragraphs: I don't buy either particularly, for the simple reason that we humans - uniquely among God's Creation and therefore unlike Ms Spider - are made and formed in His image, therefore something - I would suspect and hope quite a lot if not all - of His moral nature would have rubbed off and been imprinted upon this imago Dei. So, sorry, but if killing an innocent is always wrong for me, then I submit it must be always wrong for God too.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB:
quote:
The baby Amorite was not innocent to Joshua. What evil could that baby have done then? Simple, belonging to the Amorites. This sort of thing has been, is, and always will be a part of the law God has written on our hearts.
With all my many faults, I am glad to say I don't find that sort of thing written on my heart. You and EE seem to me to be making a strong case for atheism here.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Just to pick up on these two paragraphs: I don't buy either particularly, for the simple reason that we humans - uniquely among God's Creation and therefore unlike Ms Spider - are made and formed in His image, therefore something - I would suspect and hope quite a lot if not all - of His moral nature would have rubbed off and been imprinted upon this imago Dei. So, sorry, but if killing an innocent is always wrong for me, then I submit it must be always wrong for God too.

Nobody really knows how many innocents God has killed, but probably billions. (If one believes that human life begins at conception, then many billions.) "But no, He didn't kill them, because He didn't stand there to swing a sword and chop off their heads." [Roll Eyes] We are talking about an immaterial Spirit here, whose "job" is to cause everything in the ultimate sense. Systemic death, like all those zygotes that fail to implant or those newborns that succumb to disease, is on His table. In fact, scripture is pretty clear that He ordered human death as primary punishment for Adamgate.

As for the image and likeness thing: who says that this primarily concerns human morals? It's not like your foot or your bowel movements or even the way you think have been created in His image and likeness. All this is obviously false. And it is pretty damn clear that most of human morals are totally meaningless when applied to God. How could the Creator steal? How could He commit adultery? Etc. The way most people think about God, He becomes a particularly nice and powerful human soul which in the Incarnation made an appropriately embodied guest appearance on earth. But that's just plain rubbish.

But hey, I don't mind in general if people muddle along with an anthropomorphic god. We all muddle along spiritually, just in different ways. But if you put God in the dock, then you are upping the ante. And knowing the true identity of the accused is a prerequisite for any meaningful trial.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I for one do not rant at God; my ?anger? disgust ? outrage ? is at the twisted idea of God that you are putting forward. If God were as evil as you portray Him to be - wiping out whole tribes of people as "punishment" for disobedience - why would any decent person want anything to do with Him ?

Maybe you're right.

Maybe God doesn't punish evil at all, and evil has triumphed. Maybe, like many liberals, he just couldn't give a shit about morality (real morality, that is, not the select few issues that the "criminals first, victims last" brigade champion).

But then, of course, there is the question: but what about the innocent children? Funny, isn't it? I've never heard this plea come from someone committed to pro-life. I don't know where you stand on this issue, but I have found that the objection to God's judgments usually comes from those who really couldn't give a monkeys about 'innocent children' (in fact, the most innocent of children) within the framework of so called enlightened 21st century 'morality'.

OK, what about the children? So their parents are culpable and have committed heinous crimes (including child sacrifice, by the way), so God judges them. But since enlightened liberals tell us that parents are not morally responsible for their children, then, of course, the victims of their parents' evil have a responsibility to make sure all the orphans are given full welfare state treatment, so that such children can grow up to take revenge on their new benefactors. If the victims cannot provide this service, then the children all die a slow and agonising death. A quick death or a slow death: that was the brutal choice facing God, thanks to the evil of these children's parents. God had to take the path of the lesser evil. It's called reality.

The reality is that these parents were morally responsible, and they, in fact, murdered their own children by deliberately provoking God's necessary judgment on themselves and their families.

These judgments are truly vile and disgusting. I think this, and God thinks this as well. But I know who was responsible for them. Not the one who reluctantly had to execute the judgment.

As for the truth of the Bible: if it's a choice between your opinion and the revelation of Scripture, I know what I would rather go with.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin
You and EE seem to me to be making a strong case for atheism here.

If some people want to think that, then so be it. I am certainly not going to dilute the truth and pander to those with a completely amoral view of love, for fear of turning people to atheism. If they turn to atheism, that is their choice. Nothing to do with me.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But then, of course, there is the question: but what about the innocent children? Funny, isn't it? I've never heard this plea come from someone committed to pro-life.

Well, you're hearing it now.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whereas anyone with any insight knows exactly where the impulse to genocide comes from. Not from God, the source of all good desires and all just works, etc. But from human nature. The sort of human nature we see at work in conservative politics - the politics of fear of strangers. The same people who want tough immigration controls, who want people to carry guns, who make a fetish of law and order and then seek to use the forces of law and order to enforce conformity to social norms. Those sort of conservatives - well, genocide is just a little further down that road.

So people who want tough immigration controls may have genocidal impulses??

So it's genocidal to have a decent grasp of geography and demographics, is it? It's genocidal to understand that one of the most densely populated countries in the world cannot just open the floodgates to millions of people, who, after all, have their own (usually much larger) countries to live in? It's genocidal for a government to want to act responsibly to their own citizens (who were the ones who, through the democratic process, entrusted politicians with that duty), by not allowing their country to be flooded with people who simply cannot be accommodated? It's genocidal to want other countries - especially much larger countries - to shoulder their responsibility?

If this really is what the word 'genocidal' is supposed to mean, then I guess I must be 'genocidal'! (Of course, this is far removed from the proper dictionary definition of the word).

But I can understand how well-to-do "progressive types" and liberal intelligentsia, who may hardly be personally affected by mass immigration, and who can theorise from the comfort of their suburban bedrooms, could wring their hands in despair at the 'callousness' of those nasty conservatives! Utopia is so much better than reality. "We have a great team on paper. Unfortunately the game is played on grass", as one wise head put it. "On paper" you may possibly have a point. "On grass" you certainly do not.

As for "law and order", yeah, let's ditch it. Anarchy is so much more progressive...

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The reality is that these parents were morally responsible, and they, in fact, murdered their own children by deliberately provoking God's necessary judgment on themselves and their families.

"Necessary"? According to whom?

quote:
These judgments are truly vile and disgusting. I think this, and God thinks this as well. But I know who was responsible for them. Not the one who reluctantly had to execute the judgment.
"Had to"? Who was forcing Him?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
"Necessary"? According to whom?

Or rather: according to what?

Answer: moral reality.

quote:
"Had to"? Who was forcing Him?
Or rather: what was forcing Him?

Sadly, some evil people are not persuaded to repent by means of argument. So, after much patience, mercy and forbearance, their influence has to be destroyed in the most regrettably extreme way. It's reality, I'm afraid.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Such was one of the arguments of the medieval Inquisition.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What, "moral reality" can constrain God Himself?

quote:
Sadly, some evil people are not persuaded to repent by means of argument. So, after much patience, mercy and forbearance, their influence has to be destroyed in the most regrettably extreme way. It's reality, I'm afraid.
So you're saying that God Himself, the Almighty Most High, who Rules Over All and whose Wisdom knows no end is incapable of persuading a mere human to repent and change his or her ways?

Really?

He managed it for Saul of Tarsus, didn't He?

And even if it was impossible to persuade them, even then total destruction (and presumably damnation) isn't the only realistic solution any more than the death penalty is the only realistic solution to the problem of petty crime.

Besides which, He's fucking GOD. He could just stop them being evil if He wanted to! But no, far better to put all those human beings, made in His image and no different to you or I, to the sword and flame. Far better to extinguish millions of lives than to simply change them.

The Jews quoted in the OP were right. Your God isn't good, you just think he is because he's on your side.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
You and EE seem to me to be making a strong case for atheism here.

Fifth columnists? One could make a strong case.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It reminds me of some capo di tutti capi, who has to make an example of his cousin, who he loves, but who has unfortunately has been disobeying the rules of the family. So instructions are relayed via the consigliere, (who in Job, is Satan), regrettably, cousin X has to be extinguished. Justice and honour are satisfied.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black
Such was one of the arguments of the medieval Inquisition.

I'm sure that is true.

But there is rather a difference between man assuming the role of judge, jury and executioner and God doing the same. God, after all, is not just a glorified Superman (which tends to be the humanistic liberal expectation, hence the constant disappointment at God's 'failure' to live up to this role), who has to obey our rules, but reserves certain activities for Himself, judgment being one of them.

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE,

Do you not realise that the more you "defend" God using every cliched justification for evil that every Hollywood villain has ever uttered, the worse you make Him out to be ?

Seems like you don't worship goodness at all, you worship authority.

I hope something happens to change your heart.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see that anyone who has a problem with authority is going to find it difficult to be a 'person of the Book'. They'd either have to be an atheist or a deist. (We don't hear much about deism these days, do we?) Animism holds that God is Creator but not Judge, so that might be possible.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, glad to see you include yourself.

EE, pity you don't.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I can see that anyone who has a problem with authority is going to find it difficult to be a 'person of the Book'. They'd either have to be an atheist or a deist. (We don't hear much about deism these days, do we?) Animism holds that God is Creator but not Judge, so that might be possible.

That's an interesting point. Maybe I'm an animist then. My own feeble religious experiences never seem to involve a sense of judgement, so I tend to discount it. A lot of the harsh judgement in religion strikes me as a kind of super-ego thing - an internal critic, who gets projected (mafia-boss-like). Oh hang on, what's what Freud said.

[ 16. February 2013, 15:23: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can God be as horribly, terrifyingly violent, as God the Killer from the Tree on, up to taking 33 years off from killing when incarnate and then back on form with a minimalist warm-up with Ananias and Sapphira and Herod Agrippa before getting stuck in to the chest deep blood of the Apocalypse fulfilled in type around 76 AD and variously since and yet to come ... AND be peace incarnate IN THE EXPRESS IMAGE of the Father ?

IF He is justified in His means by His ends. Saving everyone who can possibly be saved.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:
But 'murder' only makes sense if there exists a valid law by which this form of killing is declared to be illegal. According to what you have written (in your earlier response to my post) you admit that your understanding of morality and justice is your own. So presumably your judgment of 'mass murder' is also entirely your own?
No I didn't “admit” it I stated it. Yes to be clear I am personally stating that in my opinion killing children and mass murder is wrong.

quote:
While I accept that the biblical accounts of the so called 'genocides' are difficult, it must be borne in mind that all of them are acts of judgment in response to evil. For example, the Egyptians murdered new born Hebrew children, a fate from which Moses escaped thanks to the cunning of the Hebrew midwives. You seem to have overlooked this particular iniquity.
No I didn't over look it it's not relevant. A commits a crime against B and so in retaliation B commits a crime against C. A's actions do not change the fact that B committed a crime. We are discussing the idea of God on trial not everyone who ever committed a crime on trial. Should we let off a drug dealer because there are other drug dealers?

quote:
In a moral universe, evil has consequences, and widespread evil attracts the judgment of God. Why should God be blamed for these judgments, and not those who provoked them?
You should let me off your Honour I know I killed him but he provoked me.

quote:
We can have some inkling as to the extent of evil of the nations which were subject to so called 'genocide'
Can you elaborate? Or are you working backwards from “God killed them therefore they must have been evil”? Ditto satanic nations.

quote:
We can draw an understanding from these events, but it is mistaken to assume that we must somehow try to replicate them.
I'm really glad to hear you think this. If you could pass the message on to the thousands of your brothers and sisters in the bible belt currently voting for and writing government policy I'd be “eternally” grateful.

quote:
You say: "it seems to me that you must believe that there are crimes for which genocide - the deliberate slaughter of an entire race or tribe of men, women and children - is a morally right, just and proper punishment."

These should be substituted with "were" and "was" respectively.

A morality that isn’t objective but can change over time. Fascinating.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this thread rather scary. EE and IB, you are both intelligent people. To see you using your intelligence to argue that black is white is chilling. It feels as though I've wandered into 1984.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are talking about an immaterial Spirit here, whose "job" is to cause everything in the ultimate sense. Systemic death, like all those zygotes that fail to implant or those newborns that succumb to disease, is on His table.

Yes, this can't be disputed, death is part of life for all of us, not just zygotes and newborns.

So by 'immaterial Spirit' are you saying that God does not care?

quote:

In fact, scripture is pretty clear that He ordered human death as primary punishment for Adamgate.

I can't even begin to believe this. I would rather throw out the whole of scripture than believe that God would re-set the whole system for a failing (our failing) that was within the system.

Death must have been there from the beginning, and it must have been necessary - or we don't have a God of love at all.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:

That's an interesting point. Maybe I'm an animist then. My own feeble religious experiences never seem to involve a sense of judgement, so I tend to discount it. A lot of the harsh judgement in religion strikes me as a kind of super-ego thing - an internal critic, who gets projected (mafia-boss-like). Oh hang on, what's what Freud said.
On the other hand, though, 'God' as perceived by animist spirituality isn't interested in human affairs, and couldn't be said to 'love' us. (I must admit that my knowledge of animism isn't very deep. I'm sure it comes in many varieties.)

In Christianity, God's love goes along with his law-giving and punishment; but also with his mercy. There's no need for mercy if there are no laws to be broken, no need for mercy if there's no judging process.

[ 19. February 2013, 11:24: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
We are talking about an immaterial Spirit here, whose "job" is to cause everything in the ultimate sense. Systemic death, like all those zygotes that fail to implant or those newborns that succumb to disease, is on His table.

Yes, this can't be disputed, death is part of life for all of us, not just zygotes and newborns.

So by 'immaterial Spirit' are you saying that God does not care?

quote:

In fact, scripture is pretty clear that He ordered human death as primary punishment for Adamgate.

I can't even begin to believe this. I would rather throw out the whole of scripture than believe that God would re-set the whole system for a failing (our failing) that was within the system.

Death must have been there from the beginning, and it must have been necessary - or we don't have a God of love at all.

Yes, a Darwinian theodicy argues that death and pain are highly beneficial to animal life, although obviously also not pleasant. But pain is an important warning signal, and probably inevitable within evolution; death is vital as a way of recycling. In fact, probably they are both inevitable within any system of evolution. I'm not saying that God created them, since I don't know, but that they are not incompatible with a loving creator. I guess it buggers up original sin and so on!

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:

On the other hand, though, 'God' as perceived by animist spirituality isn't interested in human affairs, and couldn't be said to 'love' us. (I must admit that my knowledge of animism isn't very deep. I'm sure it comes in many varieties.)

In Christianity, God's love goes along with his law-giving and punishment; but also with his mercy. There's no need for mercy if there are no laws to be broken, no need for mercy if there's no judging process.

Yes, it's as if you cannot have mercy without no mercy. Is that right?

I was comparing it with parenting, where traditionally therapists argue that we need 'good enough' parents, but not too good, as this will wreck the kids. In other words, it's important to fail kids. I guess that's a bad parallel, since God does not fail us!

I suppose the degree of harshness perceived or believed, about God, varies a lot, from the idea of no hell, to lots of hell. This is what is often said to be a projection of my inner critic - so we actually enjoy the spectacle of punishment, I suppose, or we need to see it enacted.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, a Darwinian theodicy argues that death and pain are highly beneficial to animal life, although obviously also not pleasant. But pain is an important warning signal, and probably inevitable within evolution; death is vital as a way of recycling. In fact, probably they are both inevitable within any system of evolution. I'm not saying that God created them, since I don't know, but that they are not incompatible with a loving creator. I guess it buggers up original sin and so on!

They are inevitable in the world as we see it through our own front doors. We have death and pain here and now, they are clearly visibly necessary and inevitable.

It's the explanation as to why we have them that bothers me. Either way it is a painful system, but if it's necessary and inevitable then we can accept it imo - IngoB reckons it was a re-set position at the 'fall'. Which makes even less sense as God could have chosen any number of different 're-boots' for his beloved creation if that were true.

[ 19. February 2013, 11:47: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
It's as if you cannot have mercy without no mercy. Is that right?

I was comparing it with parenting, where traditionally therapists argue that we need 'good enough' parents, but not too good, as this will wreck the kids. In other words, it's important to fail kids. I guess that's a bad parallel, since God does not fail us!

I suppose the degree of harshness perceived or believed, about God, varies a lot, from the idea of no hell, to lots of hell. This is what is often said to be a projection of my inner critic - so we actually enjoy the spectacle of punishment, I suppose, or we need to see it enacted.

Well, I suppose that mercy is only meaningful if there's also the possibility of no mercy. Most of us understand this concept quite well - we have courts of law, and lawyers who accept the notion of mitigating circumstances. After all, what's the alternative to this kind of judging process? Utter indifference? You mention parents, but even parents aren't utterly indifferent to their children's wrongdoing. They may not employ smacking, but good parents who love their children still try to instruct, correct and punish them, as they see fit.

The Bible sees the setting of boundaries, and the dispensing of the appropriate punishment, or of mercy, for infringing them, as the acts of a loving parent, not a bad one. But as with child rearing, we all have different ideas of what's 'appropriate' behaviour for God!! The smackers and the naughty-step advocates are ranged against each other, with accusations of inadequate parenting flying back and forth!

[ 19. February 2013, 11:56: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

They are inevitable in the world as we see it through our own front doors. We have death and pain here and now, they are clearly visibly necessary and inevitable.

It's the explanation as to why we have them that bothers me. Either way it is a painful system, but if it's necessary and inevitable then we can accept it imo - IngoB reckons it was a re-set position at the 'fall'. Which makes even less sense as God could have chosen any number of different 're-boots' for his beloved creation if that were true.

Well, a Darwinian theodicy is certainly incompatible with traditional Christianity, but it also has some interesting features. I think it developed partly as a response to the question of evil, by responding that pain and death are unpleasant, of course, but not evil. They are in fact highly beneficial, and therefore compatible with a loving creator.

Conor Cunningham was working on this, the last I heard, but I don't know if he is going to publish on it.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
It's as if you cannot have mercy without no mercy. Is that right?

Well, I suppose that mercy is only meaningful if there's also the possibility of no mercy. Most of us understand this concept quite well - we have courts of law, and lawyers who accept the notion of mitigating circumstances. After all, what's the alternative to this kind of judging process? Utter indifference? You mention parents, but even parents aren't utterly indifferent to their children's wrongdoing. They may not employ smacking, but good parents who love their children still try to instruct, correct and punish them, as they see fit.

The Bible sees the setting of boundaries, and the dispensing of the appropriate punishment, or of mercy, for infringing them, as the acts of a loving parent, not a bad one. But as with child rearing, we all have different ideas of what's 'appropriate' behaviour for God!! The smackers and the naughty-step advocates are ranged against each other, with accusations of inadequate parenting flying back and forth!

It's an interesting analogy. One of the jokes in therapy, is that just as you need good enough parents, you also need bad enough ones. In other words, it's important that your parents mess up now and again, so that they are seen not to be perfect.

This doesn't seem to work with God, but you could argue that the world is imperfect, and therefore bad enough. I suppose this is used in the arguments for soul-making and so on. Also, a perfect world would be pretty tedious! A fly in the ointment is quite interesting.

That reminded me of the old joke about the fly in the soup, where the waiter says, please could you lower your voice, or everyone will want one. What wisdom!

[ 19. February 2013, 12:22: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
EE,

Do you not realise that the more you "defend" God using every cliched justification for evil that every Hollywood villain has ever uttered, the worse you make Him out to be ?

Seems like you don't worship goodness at all, you worship authority.

I hope something happens to change your heart.

OK, so you want me to have a change of heart which involves coming to the realisation that the Bible is just a load of bullshit, right?

And apparently there is a relationship between ditching the Bible and embracing 'goodness'.

Let's suppose you're right. Please explain the source and justification of your idea of 'goodness', which I am supposed to embrace having had my mysterious "change of heart".

Furthermore, I assume that this 'goodness' that you want me to embrace, does not contain any moral content, and has no relationship with the difficult problems of reality, because morality and reality both lead to necessary judgments against evil.

One more point... you seem to compare my thinking with that of "every Hollywood villain". If that is the case, then presumably you must imagine that my understanding of the Bible is merely a justification for some acts of evil that I wish to commit. Perhaps you would like to reveal to me those acts which you think I wish to commit (especially considering that I apparently do not worship goodness but authority)?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If God exists and materialism applies to the fullest possible extent within Him, then He is still responsible for all suffering, ultimately, but not for Bronze Age barbarism directly. Although way before ultimately He is responsible for not intervening. Even if He is the best-case liberal God, He can't create without everyone suffering. He can't intervene without making deferring worse suffering. And without people making up stories about Him.

So far so good?

--------------------
Love wins

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC....
Although way before ultimately He is responsible for not intervening.

How should He have intervened?

quote:
Even if He is the best-case liberal God
Meaning?

quote:
And without people making up stories about Him.
What stories, and where's your evidence that they were made up?

quote:
So far so good?
Not really.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My small offering.
Any court rules based on facts and law. In this case WE do not have all the facts. The reasons for this are both that we are time bound and we are mutable. God is neither. He is eternal and transcendent. We can at least know that from Biblical records of his actions which show him as both predicting and over ruling.

We do have the 'law', the Biblical statement which tells us that by definition,God is righteous,true, just and loving in nature and that his acts are redemptive. It also tells us that we are sinners. If anyone doesn't like the law,the fact does not exempt them from consequence of flouting it.

The consequence for us is that even if we were not created beings, his workmanship, we would be unable to put him on trial. To the contrary we should fear God. He has in fact got our species on trial. Trying to turn this on its head will not save us in the final round up. We must humble ourselves, repent of our obscene arrogance and throw our selves on his mercy. The mercy he has shown us in Christ's invitation.

Now the Jews had a deal,a special contract.They still do.Israel arose from the ashes of the holocaust something Mr Wiesel could not foresee; but God could and did. He is outside time.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Israel arose from the ashes of the holocaust something Mr Wiesel could not foresee; but God could and did. He is outside time.

That doesn't exactly help the millions who died horribly during the holocaust, does it?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

I would be the first to admit that I don't have a great knowledge of biblical history so please correct me if I am mistaken. A few people have suggested that when God ordered the Israelites to wipe out particular groups of people that this was ok because this was the punishment for their sin. As far as I can remember God gave his law to Israel while in the desert and not to the other groups. How can God punish a group of people for breaking his law when he had not given his law to them (giving it to Israel instead)?

Another thing which troubles me which has been discussed above is God's killing of Egypt's first-born in response to Pharoh not allowing the Israelites to leave. I think I remember verses stating that Pharoh did not let the Israelites go because 'God had hardened his heart'. If this is the case then God appears to be punishing the children for something which He has made Pharoh do in the first place.

Finally, a number of people seem to be saying things along the lines of 'God is above our understanding and the source of our morals, therefore we have no grounds to attempt to judge him'. I agree that my opinion of God is of no consequence what-so-ever in the grand scheme of things. However, simply not questioning God's motives and character as displayed in these issues does not help me to know God better. The Bible states that God is the ultimate in purity and goodness. I want to believe this but struggle to reconsile this with the aspects of God discussed above. I am not trying to put myself above God in order to judge him. I am merely trying to understand him as much as is possible for my feeble human mind.

Thanks,
Erik.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erik
As far as I can remember God gave his law to Israel while in the desert and not to the other groups. How can God punish a group of people for breaking his law when he had not given his law to them (giving it to Israel instead)?

AIUI the argument is that God gave the Noahide laws to all humanity, although the Bible does not say when and how.

Moo

[ 21. February 2013, 12:28: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:

The consequence for us is that even if we were not created beings, his workmanship, we would be unable to put him on trial. To the contrary we should fear God. He has in fact got our species on trial. Trying to turn this on its head will not save us in the final round up. We must humble ourselves, repent of our obscene arrogance and throw our selves on his mercy. The mercy he has shown us in Christ's invitation.

Cruel tyrants are also feared and might even pass laws requiring their people to love them as well as obey them but even those who do love and obey them can be badly treated (see Job). One need not be faultless before opposing them. One need not even have a chance of success (we remember the young man standing before the tank in Tiananmen Square).

If the God imagined by certain people is such a cruel tyrant, then how should others consider his willing slaves? Abraham argued over Sodom; the unnamed Canaanite woman rebuked Jesus (Matthew 15).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So you do agree with 'If God exists and materialism applies to the fullest possible extent within Him, then He is still responsible for all suffering, ultimately, but not for Bronze Age barbarism directly' EE, or hadn't you noticed it?

Because it is the proposition upon which the rest follows.

Criticising the corollaries without the premiss is ... illogical.

[ 21. February 2013, 19:26: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

gel
Apprentice
# 17567

- Posted      Profile for gel   Author's homepage   Email gel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
...one that is perfectly OK with killing whole nations just to make a point or send a message to those who remain.

No, not just to make a point or send a message, but to eradicate evil.

By the way... if God is such a bastard, and if he really doesn't exist and is therefore just a made up concept, doesn't that tell you something about the perverted mind of man? After all, if this is the case, then this "bastard God" must have been a projection of "bastard minds". Doesn't make the human race look much good, does it?

Or if you think that God does exist, but is still a bastard, then that means that we, his creatures, must also be bastards, being the product of a bastard creator.

Whichever way you look at it, if God is guilty, then we go down with him!

And if, perchance, you argue that certain human beings are immune from this judgment, being atheists, then you may like to set out the objectively valid moral code which exonerates such people? A subjective moral code, of course, exonerates nobody, being entirely solipsistic, and certainly cannot be used to pass any judgment on God.

these question of yours really bothered me a lot. I mean most of the people nowadays has been doubting about the goodness of God. A lot of of us are are questioning that if God is really a great and merciful God then why did he permit all of those sufferings here on earth. ? I mean does he really care for his people?

Your questions justifies it all.

--------------------
Churchgoers Children Choir Robes
Churchgoers Women Clergy Rob

Posts: 5 | From: Hampden, ND | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

gel, EE and IngoB are just projecting: denying their own negative attributes, inadequacies, failure to understand God and themselves by ascribing them to others. They speak AT themselves, at their own doubts, confusion, cognitive dissonance by dissonance reduction, not us.

Even if they're right, they're wrong, because they exclude themselves from us. We must NOT make that mistake, THE mistake of excluding them. Which my language does. In the multitude of words, mine as well as theirs, there wants not sin.

This is THE fundamental corollary of the Fall - and I'm happier and happier with that as a metaphor if greater and greater power and validity (even if Eden is all 'true') - Adam blamed Eve for his response to temptation, disbelief, distrust.

This all loops around again and again in ever increasing circles because we are ALL projecting on God.

I awoke two hours ago and in my brokenness I've been praying more and more, in bed, very awake, as cognitive as I can be in my afflictions. I suffer for my sins. And I'm freer than ever before to explore this with God, with our Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

This thread was on my mind. I have badly argued here for years that God outside the incarnation is accurately revealed in the narratives either side of that. A killer in every way. I'm more and more open to postmodern deconstruction of this, but the narrative remains. The possibility of God being THAT pragmatic. And not just the possibility.

I was lying there this morning talking with Him about everything coming in to my mind, on my mind, the brokenness of others I encounter worse than myself and my broken response and the FACT of His perfect love. Of His PERFECT compassion. And insane, meaningless, universal suffering with no sign of Him.

That is the CERTAINTY of our experience. Never mind that God may or may not be as pragmatically violent as the narratives He inspires in our curdled, stunted ignorance.

Even the best case liberal God is a killer. You can see where the Buddha and Muhammad aswell as Moses and Jesus and Paul and IngoB and you and me are all coming from. If God just let us all happen, He is responsible for evil. As Job knew. FULLY responsible and accountable even though He tells us to mind our own business. Which we can't. And He's GLAD at.

We KNOW, we are given that God IS compassion. Allah the merciful uindeed. That Jesus was the perfect embodiment of compassion.

What was He doing until He was 30?

How did He manifest compassion up till then?

After we can see, bringing TRUE, radical, total good news, invoking healing. Where else did His compassion manifest itself? Where did it SHOW?

With the woman caught in adultery. In tearfulness evoking courage and love and wisdom NEVER seen before.

Nothing else comes to mind. NOTHING. Which shows my lack. It is NOT a criticism of Him.

Even the crucifixion. BEHIND which was perfect compassion.

His other discourses and interactions are more complex. One has to put them in the context of perfect compassion incarnate.

Which is a fact that NONE of us barely experiences at any time.

We can try God all we like. But we CANNOT refute His commands to us in Christ.

Be compassionate. Hunger and thirst for COMPASSION. That is righteousness. That IS justice.

Creation is IMPOSSIBLE without suffering. Universal, total, lethal, ruinous, insane, meaningless suffering.

But GREATER than this is love.

gel - struggle to love more - that's me projecting.

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

metaphor OF greater and greater wossname, not IF

--------------------
Love wins

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
I embrace ALL of the above. My response to the sublime Wiesel is that that is a modern, post-hoc response applied inappropriately YET ... with deep, deeper, deepest justification to the, increasingly strange library we call the Bible.

I come from 45 years of justifying the pragmatism/violence of a violent/pragmatic God: His ways aren't our ways, His ends - which are the best case for us - justify His means.

Which, Karl: The Liberal Backslider, would make your response to Zach82 most appropriate.

I have voiced here, in fear believe it or not, perhaps because of my acceptance of the pragmatic violence of God, that in Christ we have the apology of God, if we need it. "Are we even now?".

And weaving back, semi-coherently as is my aging wont, none in the narrative as it developed got to Wiesel. Evidence of his highly evolved, modern view.

And coming back atcha Karl: Liberal Backslider: In that narrative, by the time we get to murdering God in our psychotic fear, it isn't because of any of the points Wiesel makes.

But I have finally all but submitted to postmodernism and am comfortably uncomfortable there.

We cannot know.

I DO know that creation is impossible without meaningless, inappropriate, disproportionate, random, unjust suffering for ALL concerned.

I do know that all will be well and that as those Jews would have said "God is great and God is GOOD". Better than that, which is just SOOOOO Augustineanly heretical, "God is good.". He has NO greatness beyond His goodness and His goodness is only meaningful to those who experience it.

Us psycho monkeys. Which include Sodom and Gomorrah, the Moabites, Amelekites, Jews of 70 AD Jerusalem and 1943 AD Treblinka.

I'd love to believe what you say no prophet, now more than ever as Brian McLaren has made it more, most but not fully credible to me, as credible as it's ever going to get, that God has ALWAYS been like Jesus in all of His dealings with mankind. That our pre- and post- incarnational narratives of a violent God are just that. Ours.

In Job, in Satan, throughout. To be understood postmodernly.

But the weakness of postmodernism is that it INSISTS that God is truly Marcion, as IngoB points out. It insists that we know the Father through the Son. AS the Son. As if He were. Despite the fact that in the post-resurrection apostolic narrative the Holy Spirit assassinates Christian and Jew alike. So only God the Holy Spirit kills ? And what about the Killer God of the Old Covenant, who kills in terribly exquisite detail, YHWH, Adonai, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, I Am That I Am, I Am. Jesus.

The problem with that insistence is that God the Killer is immensely ... credible. And that if the narrative is NOT purely mythological, He is Killer from beginning to end in the name of our salvation. Pragmatic.

And it gets worse. There is no other way. Just as ther obviously isn't to suffering.

Which, of course, which is now why I'm a pacifist. Although I don't know whether God does violence or not, Jesus didn't. Which is affecting me VERY personally and beyond, at the sharp end, right now.

Might start a separate thread on that.

Thank you for this, and for your later post which I haven't got to grips with yet.

Job prostrated himself and said 'The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away.'

It's easy to superimpose our world onto ancient cultures, in the same way as ruins are looked down upon in modern buildings in Jerusalem today. It's not easy to understand the attitudes of people who were ready to sacrifice their children to gods, and who thought that everything was being stage managed by various gods. God met the people where they were.

Jesus drove a stake through the heart of that attitude. He showed us the one living God. He gave us the message which had been repeatedly given before, but the people would not listen. Jesus too said that people will perish. Where do we go with that, when we so don't want anyone to perish? Shaking our fists at God gets us nowhere, nor does denying his existence or worthiness to be loved with all of our hearts. God is able to melt our hearts of stone with his love, if we let it in, and through it we know his goodness. God meets us where we are, through Christ.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

raptor eye - sorry for what I haven't made grippable. Is there anything I can do?

As for people perishing, you need to repent and believe.

Jesus saves.

[ 24. February 2013, 13:15: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC etc....
gel, EE and IngoB are just projecting: denying their own negative attributes, inadequacies, failure to understand God and themselves by ascribing them to others. They speak AT themselves, at their own doubts, confusion, cognitive dissonance by dissonance reduction, not us.

Funny, but I (speaking only for myself) thought I was just elaborating on what the Bible actually says.

Apparently not!

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Happy to alleviate you of your presumption and ignorance, to be used to illuminate you EE. Your colloquial ignorance too perhaps. Concerning your failure of your much self declared intellect and its logical capabilities anadromously.

--------------------
Love wins

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC....
...your much self declared intellect...

[Confused]

Like I said: I am only elaborating on what the Bible says. You seem to have a problem with the Bible. Only you know the reason for that.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Happy to alleviate you of your presumption and ignorance, to be used to illuminate you EE. Your colloquial ignorance too perhaps. Concerning your failure of your much self declared intellect and its logical capabilities anadromously.

[Hosting]
Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard - personal attacks are only allowed in Hell.

quote:
3. Attack the issue, not the person

Name-calling and personal insults are only allowed in Hell. Attacks outside of Hell are grounds for suspension or banning.

4. If you must get personal, take it to Hell

If you get into a personality conflict with other shipmates, you have two simple choices: end the argument or take it to Hell.

So don't do it.

[/Hosting]

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ma'am.

And my unreserved apologies EE for letting your narrative get to me.

I have no problem with the Bible whatsoever EE. Apart from reconciling the narrative of God the Killer with the pacifist God incarnate. Which cannot be done and therefore doesn't have to be.

Which is why I too am only elaborating (no less faithfully than you, no less being met my God where I am than you) the bible.

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard

quote:

I have no problem with the Bible whatsoever EE. Apart from reconciling the narrative of God the Killer with the pacifist God incarnate. Which cannot be done and therefore doesn't have to be.

The way I see it, God is obviously a killer, since we all end up dead! But since he's also a life-giver, this isn't as bad as it seems. This is the crucial difference between God and human killers; they can't give life. They can usually make babies, but they can't give life.

'The Lord gives and the Lord takes away; blessed be the name of the Lord.' (Job 1: 21). Even if we modify, transpose or just do away with the story of the slain Amorite babies, this message remains, ISTM.

(I can recommend Lee Strobel's 'The Case for Faith' on this issue. It doesn't prove God's 'innocence', of course, but it is thought-provoking, and it offers some cultural and historical contextualisation for these violent stories.)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I completely agree Svitlana2. That is inescapable, no matter how pomo and liberal one is, and I'm going as fast as I can, liberalism NEVER addresses the fact that God is completely responsible for suffering. For evil. Contingent AND necessary evil. That He might finish His eternally ongoing creation.

I can't stand ANY apologetics apart from my own. Strobel is an ID'er and a Kalam Cosmological Argument man with Anselm and William Lane-Craig, so multiply invalid. And you can bet he's a damnationist. They all are.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016