homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The State of the Union Show -- does anyone care? If so, about what?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The State of the Union Show -- does anyone care? If so, about what?
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you tune in? Will you be part of tonight's viewing audience that will pale in comparison to the Superbowl's, the Academy Awards', or the Grammys'? Are you interested in The First Lady's dress, her menagerie of feel-good guests, or perhaps a (any) policy directive? Will you laugh? Will you cry? Will you think it's better than CATS?

Sound and fury

[ 12. February 2013, 19:50: Message buggered about with by: Gwai ]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GRAM ! GRAM ! EPIGRAM !

You don't get me I'm part of the union ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh, the guests will never get better for me than the year Bush II invited Denver basketball hero Dikembe Mutombo (that was before his conflict gold scandal, and to me, he will always be the finger wagging shot blocker who helped the Nuggets beat the Number One seed in the Playoffs).

"Man cannot fly in the House of Mutombo"

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Will you tune in?

N***, I'll be getting ready to go out and celebrate Mardi Gras -- gotta have something to repent of tomorrow!

Gluttony makes a man gloomy and fearful, but fasting makes him joyful and courageous.
-- ~Saint Nikolai of Zicha~

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched it. It was worth it just to see John Boehner's face while the President spoke.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing beat VP Biden's 'smolder' look (for the ladies?) after the bit re: the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act. That was priceless.

In general, though, it looked as if neither of the men behind the POTUS had ever sat there before, or realized that they were under the public microscope. Cringy.

--------------------

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barry The Cable Guy got a teensy bit hung up on the get er done line. [Smile]

I thought Marco Rubio's response was pretty good overall and I imagine Joe/Hillary are puckering.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard the wind blow before. The bad thing is that he's coming here to Asheville today to ramble on in person.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed Ted Nugent's scowl. He stood out from his fellow Republicans who, with a few exceptions, were much better behaved then they have been the other 3 of Obama's SOTU speeches. They finally realized image counts.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

Sadly, THIS is a foregone conclusion in American politics any more. It's just soooooo precious that anyone would imply that the dress demonstrated bipartisanship. LOL

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sadly, THIS is a foregone conclusion in American politics any more. It's just soooooo precious that anyone would imply that the dress demonstrated bipartisanship. LOL

ISTM that the real disfunction is in talking about the FLOTUS dress instead of the POTUS speech. Alas, I wished that he would have made at least a passing attempt at offering an olive branch to Republicans.

BTW, Frontline had a truly excellent show on the fiscal showdown and what happened when. I was surprised to learn that Boenher was actually telling the truth when he said he had a deal with Obama that Obama walked away from at the last minute -- apparently because a chimerical deal among Dem and Repub Senators looked like it would benefit him more. Of course, that deal never materialized, and the one he walked away from then collapsed, leaving Boenher in a weakened state within his caucus. It's well worth watching.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
Alas, I wished that he would have made at least a passing attempt at offering an olive branch to Republicans.

He did that all last term, and look what it got him. He's finally manning up.
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
quote:
Alas, I wished that he would have made at least a passing attempt at offering an olive branch to Republicans.

He did that all last term, and look what it got him. He's finally manning up.
Again, let me suggest you catch the Frontline special on the fiscal negotiations. It appears that he actually had a deal with Boehner that he walked away from, causing all sorts of problems for everybody involved.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Doesn't it show that the FLOTUS supports the right to bare arms?

--Getting coat.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

I think I did catch the last two minutes of that FRONTLINE program, if it is what aired immediately before the SOTU Show.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was surprised to learn that Boenher was actually telling the truth when he said he had a deal with Obama that Obama walked away from at the last minute -- apparently because a chimerical deal among Dem and Repub Senators looked like it would benefit him more.

I was surprised to learn you found it surprising. [Biased]

Obama has been beyond dispute demonstrated to be a liar on more than a few occasions, and we aren't talking about little white ones (can you say that RE Obama? [Paranoid] ).

Not to mention he increasingly is coming across like one of those who REALLY doesn't do well with power... I remain hopeful however that before it all ends as badly as it might that the 'press' will begin to recover some semblance of their moral duty and begin to hold the guy's feet at least in the same room as the fire.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
I was surprised to learn you found it surprising. [Biased]

Oh, I drank the KoolAid before KoolAid was Kool. But I did expect that the press would do a better job of covering such important aspects of our governance than they appear to have been doing. Well, Mencken said, "No one ever went broke under-estimating the intelligence of the American public." But I didn't think he was talking about me...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016