homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » C S Lewis (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: C S Lewis
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been re-reading A. N. Wilson's Lewis biography and during the process (Wilson PROVES Romans 2:1 [Big Grin] ) read how he had reconverted to theism.

It made me glad, somehow.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably odd in that I'd never heard of his fiction (Narnia, etc.) but somehow knew of him via his apologetics.

The dear man was very helpful to me during my big life crisis (repentance, conversion, ???). The Problem of Pain was revolutionary to me, and answered a lot of questions. But it should never be read without also reading A Grief Observed, IMHO.

I love The Great Divorce not so much for its depiction of the afterlife, but as a parable for the here-and-now. I wonder if that wasn't really his aim; in the The Weight of Glory he notes that we've never met a mere mortal; everyone we meet is to be, one day, either an everlasting splendor or a horror surpassing our worst nightmares, and in our every interaction with them, we push them toward one destination or the other.

It's those thing which ought to be so basic to us as people that I had to learn. And now I use them to try to keep my rudder straight!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Izdaari
Apprentice
# 12432

- Posted      Profile for Izdaari     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the most enjoyable of his books or the best written, but Surprised by Joy is the most important to me because of the role it played in leading me back into the Christian fold after straying from it into near-atheism in my teens. Lewis' account of his struggles in trying to avoid conversion made me think about my own, and wonder "...maybe it is true after all". [Eek!]
Posts: 19 | From: Pacific NW, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016