homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lent? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lent?
Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

- Posted      Profile for Greenleaff   Email Greenleaff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all,

I know this has probably been asked a billion times, but I was wondering if a few of you more experienced Christians out there could share with me what (if anything) your planning for lent this year. I'd love to hear about why are you doing what you're doing, what it means you to, what's been memorable about this season in the past, and anything else you might want to add.
(thanks for considering, and if this too personal of a question then apologies in advance!)

ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will start digging through stacks of music to find appropriate pieces that don't require too much practice.

I will play 2 services on Sunday because my assistant is not available and I will do the Wed. evening Vespers

I will have a 1 1/2hr. choir rehearsal AFTER the Vesper service

I will start to dread the Triduum

I will pray for foul weather and late winter snow storms to arrive on Wed. so the Vespers and rehearsal will be cancelled.

I will be in a panic that I will never learn all the music in time for the Good Friday choral tenebrae liturgy.

I will try to find enough time to practice for each of the above services.

I will dread the Triduum.

I will pray that Pastor cuts down the length of the Easter Vigil.

I will wonder if anyone will notice that I'm using the same piece I played 3 weeks ago if I change he registration and tempo.

I will dread the Triduum.

And then.....eventually.....

I will not fail to be impressed on Holy Thursday with the dignity and solemnity of the Striping of the Altar.

I will heave an enormous sigh of relief as I leave in silence after the Good Friday Tenebrae and feel honored to have participated in it.

I will sit on the organ bench at the Easter Vigil, alone in the nave, and watch as the procession with candles enter the darkened church until it glows, and realize I am the only one who is witnessing the entire thing.

I will enter the nave on Easter Sunday morning, overwhelmed by the smell of lilies, and realize why I continue to be an organist.

Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the first Lent where I'm going to have a Laetare Sunday, which I am very excited about. Not sure what I'm giving up yet - possibly meat.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at work I'd give up reading fiction.

Now I'm not at work, I sometimes try to spend half an hour in silence before the reserved sacrament each week.

I try to limit internet browzing.

Jesus advised we shouldn't let on what we are doing.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

- Posted      Profile for Greenleaff   Email Greenleaff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all your replies!!
Organmeister -- sounds beautiful, I wish I could hear it. What an amazing experience to see the church file in with candles.

Jade, I looked up Laetare Sunday (thanks never heard of that before!) Are you going to do something differently on that day, and if you don't mind sharing more, why is this your first year observing it?

Venbede, I hear what you're saying about not advertising too widely. This is definitely not a competition, I'm just wondering about what this season really means to people... is it a marker on the calendar without much significance, or something more, and what does it mean to the people who do participate? I get the sense in my own church that people don't think about it too much, but maybe they are being quiet about their practice as well.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greenleaff:
Thanks for all your replies!!
Organmeister -- sounds beautiful, I wish I could hear it. What an amazing experience to see the church file in with candles.

Jade, I looked up Laetare Sunday (thanks never heard of that before!) Are you going to do something differently on that day, and if you don't mind sharing more, why is this your first year observing it?

Venbede, I hear what you're saying about not advertising too widely. This is definitely not a competition, I'm just wondering about what this season really means to people... is it a marker on the calendar without much significance, or something more, and what does it mean to the people who do participate? I get the sense in my own church that people don't think about it too much, but maybe they are being quiet about their practice as well.

It's my first year where I'm attending a church that celebrates Laetare - or even knows it exists! I've not regularly attended an A-C church until now is all.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year one of our suffragans came to an event at our church just before Lent. I sat across from her at dinner as we all were talking about Lent and mentioning various kinds of disciplines we kept. She mentioned what she was giving up (I can't remember what), and then said she always permanently gave up whatever she decided on each year.

Whoa! [Eek!]

I guess she figures that if it is something she doesn't need in her life, she really doesn't need it anymore. By the end of her days, she won't have much excess baggage.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Last year one of our suffragans came to an event at our church just before Lent. I sat across from her at dinner as we all were talking about Lent and mentioning various kinds of disciplines we kept. She mentioned what she was giving up (I can't remember what), and then said she always permanently gave up whatever she decided on each year.

Whoa! [Eek!]

I guess she figures that if it is something she doesn't need in her life, she really doesn't need it anymore. By the end of her days, she won't have much excess baggage.

Imagine doing that with an Orthodox Lenten fast! [Eek!]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, Lent is Very Important. It is the preparation for the celebration of the paschal mystery at Easter. The services in church are different with purple vestments (pink for Laetare for some!) and simpler texts.

I use Common Worship Daily Prayer and for years used the Roman breviary - the season is marked out every morning and evening. (I use psalm 51 in full every morning, although CW only give selected verses.)

In the past when I knew a reliable priest, I would try to make my confession at some time.

Practice little bits of self discipline not to feel self righteous, but to try to learn a bit of self discipline.

I have been to church Lent groups in my time.

I try to read something important.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have written a booklet "Pilgrimage through Lent to Easter" with a daily devotion consisting of Reading; Comment; Prayer and Hymn for each day.

Congregations in my 3 Churches will use it and we shall have a weekly get-together to reflect on the previous week's material.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I very rarely mark Lent, but this year I'll be going vegan. Partly as an ethical thing (I'm already a vgeggie) and partly as a reminder of what Lent is.

[ 29. January 2013, 16:04: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This low church chick is not friends with asceticism. [Hot and Hormonal] I find it very difficult to give up wine, or chocolate. [Hot and Hormonal]

I joke every year to myself that I'm giving up sex for Lent. Ho ho ho. [Roll Eyes] (Sorry: long-term singleton.)

What I always do, though, is read a book for Lent. [Smile] My favourite Lent book is When they crucified my Lord, by Brother Ramon ... it's very lovely, very profound and very prayerful.

I always go to an Ash Wednesday service. My evangelical tradition doesn't go in for the 'ashing', which is a shame in some ways, because the symbolism is very powerful. [Smile]

Anyway ... good season of the year. [Smile]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to give up Eating Between Meals. This is because if I give up (say) chocolate, I eat winegums, or crisps, or something else. So to avoid substitutions, I have to give it all up.

This year I couldn't help thinking that making a good habit would be as useful as breaking a bad one - as I have said on the Decluttering thread, I encouraged a friend to adopt a habit of putting her clothes, shoes etc away as she went along, rather than leaving it all in heaps about her house. That was a great success and she is *still* doing it.

I need something like that to take on as a daily Lenten reminder [Confused]

Mrs. S, full of bright ideas for Other People

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta say, I'm more taken with the idea of doing something proactive for Lent, rather than giving stuff up.

Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to 'fast' from the Internets. [Biased]

E.g. Christian Aid's 'Count your blessings' calendar, which has a prayer and a suggestion for practical action against poverty each day. By the end of Lent, you should have saved enough money to give them (or any other charity of your choice) a decent donation. [Smile]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will admit to never having followed it all the way through Lent but I think Christian Aid's Count Your Blessings is a great initiative - giving up and reflecting and giving thanks!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
Gotta say, I'm more taken with the idea of doing something proactive for Lent, rather than giving stuff up.

Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to 'fast' from the Internets. [Biased]

E.g. Christian Aid's 'Count your blessings' calendar, which has a prayer and a suggestion for practical action against poverty each day. By the end of Lent, you should have saved enough money to give them (or any other charity of your choice) a decent donation. [Smile]

That looks really good and something we can do together as a family [Smile] thank you

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a devout Roman Catholic, I actually look forward to Lent: I shall give up orange and other fruit juices as well as other forbidden things as we continue to lose weight the Atkins way.

I like fish and will enjoy eating it every Friday. If my schedule permits, I may even be lector for Ash Wednesday, perhaps an evening or late afternoon mass if I am teaching that day.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lent is not just about "giving up things". It is a spiritual preparation for the Great Triduum and the Easter season. I try to spend more time in prayer and meditation.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For us Orthodoxen, Lent starts late this year. We've got a while yet to get ready for it. And we are as serious about preparing for Lent as we are about preparing for Pascha.

You know that Lent is coming when, on a Sunday morning, you are listening to the Gospel reading, and it's about Zacchaeus. That's the first warning. It's time to start preparing.

The next Sunday, we'll hear the Gospel story about the Publican and the Pharisee. And that week, the week of the Publican and the Pharisee, there is no fasting.

The next Sunday, the Gospel is the Prodigal Son. And we start our journey towards Lent. It's a week of ordinary fasting.

The next Sunday is the Sunday of the Last Judgment, also known as Meatfare, because it's the last Sunday that meat is eaten until Pascha. But there is no fasting the week after Meatfare, except for abstaining from meat.

The next Sunday, the day before we start Lent, is known as Cheesefare, or Forgiveness Sunday. This year, Forgiveness Sunday falls on St. Patrick's Day! It is the last day for us to eat dairy or eggs before Pascha. After Divine Liturgy in the morning, many parishes have a potluck dinner loaded with foods heavy in egg and cheese. And then we go back to the chapel for Forgiveness Vespers. During Forgiveness Vespers, we have the rite of forgiveness: the priest stands in front of the solea, and the deacon steps before the priest, and bows and touches the floor (or, in some parishes, makes a prostration), and asks the priest to forgive him, and the priest does the same. Each says to the other, "God forgives, and I forgive," and they kiss each other on the cheek. The deacon stands next to the priest. Then one person exchanges forgiveness with the priest in the same way, and then with the deacon, as the next person exchanges forgiveness with the priest. Before the end of the rite, everyone in the parish will have exchanged forgiveness.

And during the rite, the choir sings the Pascha hymns. We sing them to tell us where we're going, what the point is of the struggle we're about to engage in. The point of Lent isn't fasting. The point of it is Pascha. And we sing them because someone might die during Lent, and it would just be unbearably sad if they died without having heard the Pascha hymn again: Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life!

And with that, we are ready for Great Lent. During Lent, we abstain (as we are able) from meat and dairy and eggs, fish with backbones, alcohol, and oil. We eat less (again, as we are able). We increase our almsgiving. We increase our prayers.

For us, Lent ends on the Friday before Palm Sunday. Then we celebrate Lazarus Saturday and Palm Sunday before we dive into Holy Week. Holy Week is intense, exhausting, and beautiful. And it culminates in Pascha!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
And during the rite, the choir sings the Pascha hymns. We sing them to tell us where we're going, what the point is of the struggle we're about to engage in. The point of Lent isn't fasting. The point of it is Pascha.

Thanks Josephine, as always, for the insights and understanding into Orthodox ways. And for the reminder that I needed - the point of Lent is Pascha.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

Thank you all for sharing your plans -- it's wonderful to hear all of the thoughtful consideration here and all the different ways people are observing lent. Thank you!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're most welcome, Greenleaff. Do you have any Lenten plans of your own, or ideas you'd like to try?

Mine will most likely include downloading the online retreat from the Sacred Space website at some point, doing the Stations of the Cross, and as for diet, it'll be the usual thing of vegetarian-with-fish. I may also try to get to Tenebrae at a Dominican priory.

Most memorable Lent: attending Tenebrae early one Good Friday morning in the plain, deceptively simple surroundings of Blackfriars Priory. It had been a bit overcast when I went in and the mood was befittingly sombre. The service took its course, we chanted the responses (it was plainchant), and one by one the candles on the altar were extinguished until we arrived at the end. The chant grew more and more repetitive, as if closing down and turning inwards; there was a great cry of "Mortem autem crucis!*", the books were slammed shut with a bang, and there we were in the darkness and the silence. Outside the heavens opened. Rain lashed against the windows. If ever you wanted a sense of the desolation of Good Friday, it was there.

There was also the Easter Saturday Tenebrae another year where on a bright, sunlit day the shadows through the latticed church window threw, somehow, the shape of a cross at the foot of a hill onto the wall. As the service progressed, and the sun moved round, the little cross seemed to journey up the hill to a blaze of light.

I haven't been to Tenebrae for the past couple of years (it requires getting up quite early) but am hoping, as ever, to drop by this year.

* Roughly, "Death on the cross".

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I very rarely mark Lent, but this year I'll be going vegan. Partly as an ethical thing (I'm already a vgeggie) and partly as a reminder of what Lent is.

Great Earwiig. It's great to take Lent into lifestyle I ink.

Any easy vegan recipes?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am giving up Facebook as I do each year for Lent.
I will be doing more Spiritual Reading, not sure just what yet, and I am also going to be doing more art as a reflection on the scripture that I will be reading.
Finally I plan to do one secret act of kindness each day. This usually takes the form of contacting people who are ill or living alone.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I stopped giving things up many years ago. The giving up of things seems to make me resentful and feel rather non-Christian. Two years ago I started instead of adding something versus subtracting.

It seems coincidental that I read this thread after deciding after church today what it will be this year. It will be doing the Order for Compline every night. I'm using the 1962 Canadian BCP version, much the same as the UK and USA, but I prefer the older poetical King James like language for Compline. I can only recommend such prayer and rhythm of language - it really needs to be said out loud.

I've done this before with Compline, and ended up actually doing it for more than a year. The next year, I moved on to working with the Collect for Purity which also stuck with me for the better part of a year.

It seems to me that doing something 'for Lent' is meritorious, but that it is worth considering if what you do lasts longer than just that, and for me this has fit.

quote:
BE present, O merciful God, and protect us through the silent hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world, may repose upon thy eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
It does seem to me that night reflects what all happened at the first Easter.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:

Great Earwiig. It's great to take Lent into lifestyle I ink.

Any easy vegan recipes?

Percy, if you're interested in vegan recipes, we have a recipe thread for questions and answers about recipes - we try to keep them all in one place and not post them on other threads. If you are interested in cooking, perhaps you would like to contribute some culinary ideas yourself to it? You'll find it here.

[ 04. February 2013, 05:06: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In clearing out my mum's house last year I found a copy of "The Road to Emmaus" by Helen Julian CSF and am going to try following that through Lent this year. The daily readings and meditations do seem quite long, though.

Nen - slightly daunted.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plans are to maintain my January discipline of Mass during the week, take up some sort of spiritual reading - Augustine perhaps - ration my internet buying to one item a week and give up chocolates, sweets and/or biscuits since those are a particular vice of mine.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I understand Ariel's wish to keep discussion of food off this thread it does seem to me Lent has become a little cerebral, especially in western Protestantism.

It can so much be - what's your Lent book, do you do stations, etc. Rather than picking up the threads of alms giving, fasting, too.

I used to like the old fashioned Lent boxes that missionary societies offered, like the little land rover boxes of USPG! I think Lent boxes at least drew attention to alms giving in Lent. I know some dioceses have a Lent charity, and I guess some parishes still do too.

Fasting seems to have become rather unpopular, but I have always felt the CAFOD family fast days were a good thing, as it emphasised FAMILY not just me and my Lent. Great to have a simple meal (don't worry I will not share the recipe here on this thread!) and donate the money saved to a charity, or perhaps even do without a meal. Years ago a local Churches Together group had a Lent evening where people were invited to cook a simple dish for Lent, and share the recipe. It was popular, and interesting too. Some traditions have very definite food traditions in Lent, and I think the Orthodox especially do in some countries.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both our clergy have given sermons encouraging doing something good rather than giving up something bad for Lent (although I can't really say that I've taken up the challenge).

I quite like Mrs. S's idea of giving up eating between meals - that might make me a smaller piglet ... [Big Grin]

As I'm in the choir, Lent is fairly busy: Eucharist and Imposition of Ashes on Ash Wednesday, Compline and a sermon each subsequent Wednesday before choir practice, and during Holy Week itself we might as well bring sleeping bags: we seem to be there nearly every day.

Oh yes, and on Easter morning I give up four hours of sleep, as we have a sung Eucharist with the New Fire at 6 o'clock in the morning. It's a lovely service, if only it was at a civilised hour.

[Snore]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, piglet, I am toying with the idea of giving up coffee - which would be a real sacrifice for me, as I don't like tea and coffee is pretty much the only calorie-free hot drink available other than fruit tea. However, I do sleep badly so I wonder whether six weeks coffee-free would prove whether there really is a connection.

And Percy B - I thought the idea was that you gave up sweets, or whatever, and then sent the money you'd saved to a charity? Though one year - being the taxpayer in the family - I sent my cheque and Gift Aid form off, only for the charity to send the thank-you letter to Mr. S!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I was even madder because a) it was a charity directed at women and b) the chief exec was a man! He got a piece of my mind that I could not readily spare at my advanced age ... ah well, I suppose it's all about doing good without expecting recognition *sigh*

Mrs. S, still [Mad] about that

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sympathy, Mrs S, I would be [Mad] about that too!

One of my memorable Lents was 2 or 3 years ago. I found myself more and more prone to 'pedestrian rage', ie I was fed up with shouting at idiot cyclists and drivers who jumped lights, narrowly ran me down, etc etc. It was not doing me or my blood pressure or my charitable nature any good, so I resolved to try and conquer these feelings when incidents happened during that Lent. To my relief it worked, and I behaved myself so much better! It wore off after a while, though, so I may take it up again this Lent [Smile] .

An ex-priest of our church used to say, do things better during Lent, read better books, drink better beer... [Biased]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
An ex-priest of our church used to say, do things better during Lent, read better books, drink better beer... [Biased]

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, thinking what a great plan for Lent ...

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Oh yes, and on Easter morning I give up four hours of sleep, as we have a sung Eucharist with the New Fire at 6 o'clock in the morning. It's a lovely service, if only it was at a civilised hour.

[Snore]

You softie! Until recently, we did ours at 5am - and one year the clocks went forward as well so it was really 4am! Hardly worth going to bed beforehand.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, thinking what a great plan for Lent ...

I'm liking it too - I'm sure we're kindred spirits, Mrs S. I intend to apply it to wine. [Biased]

Actually, I am still trying to think of things to do or not do for Lent - things that are achievable that is. I'd like to think I'd spend an hour each day in prayer and meditation, an hour decluttering, an hour doing some Good Works. Just not realistic, though...

Nen - aware there's less than a week to decide.

[Help]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Actually, I am still trying to think of things to do or not do for Lent - things that are achievable that is. I'd like to think I'd spend an hour each day in prayer and meditation, an hour decluttering, an hour doing some Good Works. Just not realistic, though...

You might be surprised. If you were able to split the prayer and meditation up into two half hour or three 20-minute chunks, you'd have it in more manageable instalments. One advantage of splitting it up is also that it "earths" you throughout the day, rather than having an action-packed, stressful day where at the end you try to do the prayer and meditation all in one go for a solid hour and then fail. If the smaller chunks work for you, they can be built up over a period of time, or brought in as a reasonably regular part of daily life.

Of course if you have small children this is probably all going straight out of the window, but there might be a time when they actually fall asleep...

redderfreak
Shipmate
# 15191

- Posted      Profile for redderfreak   Author's homepage   Email redderfreak   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading the new testament (again).

--------------------
You know I just couldn't make it by myself, I'm a little too blind to see

Posts: 287 | From: Exeter | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two things: living in a town that's very accommodating to the homeless leaves a lot of opportunities for alms and a bit of conversation, so I'll try to keep some change in my pockets. And confirmation class!
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

The Love Life, Live Lent books are good. This year by Paula Gooder, a biblical theologian and Anglican preacher.

Anyone know of a web version of this sort of thing. That is, a thought and suggestion for doing something for each day of Lent?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vow to spend more time at daily mass and not duck out early after communion at weekend mass. I am also going to spend today at a Mens' Group Conference with my friends and try to actually learn something. If I do not attend a daily mass, I shall look up the readings. I vow to pray all five decades (as original) of the Rosary at least once a week, at school if necessary!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Anyone know of a web version of this sort of thing. That is, a thought and suggestion for doing something for each day of Lent?

Just discovered that the Christian Aid 'Count your Blessings' calendar mentioned upthread is available as a free app. Have just downloaded. Looks good.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

You might be surprised. If you were able to split the prayer and meditation up into two half hour or three 20-minute chunks, you'd have it in more manageable instalments. One advantage of splitting it up is also that it "earths" you throughout the day, rather than having an action-packed, stressful day where at the end you try to do the prayer and meditation all in one go for a solid hour and then fail. If the smaller chunks work for you, they can be built up over a period of time, or brought in as a reasonably regular part of daily life.

Of course if you have small children this is probably all going straight out of the window, but there might be a time when they actually fall asleep...

You're right; and I have formulated A Plan. [Big Grin] I'm instigating a Lenten Hour and this is to include 20 minutes of reading/prayer/meditation, 20 minutes of sorting and decluttering my house and 20 minutes of brisk walking. I may pray as I walk as well (might not take my phone with me [Biased] ) and I am not going to get hung up and abandon it all if I miss 20 minutes of something one day. And I may do an hour of decluttering one day and then not feel I have to do more the next day.

This morning I went on a circular walk from home which took exactly 20 minutes, and I need to find a similar one from work. It will be good discipline for me to take a 20 minute break from my desk every day.

And I'm working hard at the decluttering today.

Nen - why wait till Ash Wednesday? [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Excellent idea, Nen, the Lenten Hour sounds like a feasible and useful plan. [Big Grin] I may do something similar myself. The crucial thing is as you say not to feel you've screwed up if you miss any of the chunks, and just carry on. Good luck!

Decluttering is good. I decided not to wait for Lent either and started yesterday. Two bags of books to Oxfam so far and more to go yet. A bag of what Tolkien would call "mathoms" to go to another charity shop. (How on earth can one person accumulate so much stuff??) I want the place to look neat and tidy for the beginning of Lent (which by a strange coincidence is when my landlord comes round to inspect).

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readers of this thread might be interested to hear of a recent Church Times survey on what Lent means to people today. It found that young people are more likely to give up things than older people; women more than men.
There were some interesting answers to what the word Lent means to people - somebody answered 'It is a type of tropical fish'! I'll let you read the (short) article to find out the other answers....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Lent is surprisingly widespread amongst the younger people I know, none of whom are religious, but many of whom will give up sugar, chocolate, coffee or something for the duration.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps younger people are more focussed and have more determination (and possibly have more simplistic goals?). I remember giving up things every year when I was young, and being surprisingly successful at it - not even 'cheating' by having a day off on Sundays, but now my will-power or even my incentive is not that strong and I don't even get around to deciding what to give up, let alone actually starting.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

It's been amazing to read all the responses here! Everything from engaging in music to avoiding the internet to going vegan. After reading several of these and digging around, I'm going to try this:
In the mornings I usually set my alarm early, but hit snooze several times and get up about 30 min after the first alarm. I think I'll get up in 5 min, and do something peaceful with the extra time awake. (This doesn't seem too drastic, but if I can do it will definitely take one little piece of frantic time out of my day.)
Thanks again for sharing what you're doing!!

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

As well as doing my usual thing of not eating between meals, I've decided to give up coffee. I drink quite a lot of fresh (never instant) black coffee during the mornings (I bring in a flask) but avoid it after lunch. I'm hoping that may help my poor sleep - if it doesn't, then so be it.

I'm also going to save the £1.10 per day it costs for my small black Americano from the coffee bar at work, and use to sponsor someone who is attempting to feed himself for £1 a day during Lent in aid of the charity that runs Mr. S's Food Bank. Someone else has to benefit from this sacrifice or it becomes all about me.

What really interests me is why any non-Christians bother with Lent at all. One of my friends thinks younger people give up chocolate as a weight loss thing, but there has to be more to it than that - surely?

Mrs. S, soul-sister to Nenya [Overused]

[ 13. February 2013, 07:50: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Among some other stuff I'm thinking of taking up saying grace before eating, initially during Lent. Not like the outloud, holding hands kind, but just saying a silent thank you prayer. I tried it once before, and for such a small discipline, it's really easy to forget.
If Lent is successful, I'll keep going.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decades ago I heard a sermon that said 6 weeks is enough time to create or change a habit, use Lent to make a permanent change instead of to do a trivial temporary thing like giving up chocolate.

I thought about that and decided to give up swearing. It was hard to change a mindless habit (and not like I swore a lot!), but by the end of Lent the habit was gone although I do sometimes (rarely) use a substitute a word like "oh, rats."

Never again found as precisely focused change to pursue. Most of my self-improvement needs are vaguer, like "exercise more."

Maybe this year (including what I did this afternoon but not because it was Lent) I'll give away one item per day to someone who would like it, I have too much stuff, good stuff but too much.

Or maybe I'll get to bed by 11 PM instead of sometimes staying up til 1 or 2 for no good reason.

Or both.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016