homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lent? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Lent?
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm on Sabbatical from the choir, I'm aiming to sing through all the suitable Lenten music I have on CDs at home. Which is rather a lot. And if I run out, there's even more on Youtube. What's not to like - I have some of the best choirs in the world as my backing group and if I make a mistake I'm not inflicting it on anyone else. Only God, and he must have cloth ears by now anyway.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And this is why I'm not giving up chocolate for Lent. Obviously my soul needs healing A LOT!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good one, Chorister [Biased] !

I've just spent some time filling up a charity bag with items, and decluttering is something I hadn't thought of doing for Lent before reading this thread - but what a good idea! You get rid of unwanted stuff, the house is tidier, and the charity benefits, so it's good all round... I like it!

Mr Marten and I are going to go to Stations of the Cross; a study group on Luke's gospel; and I and a friend are going to show a couple of films, so there's quite a lot on. I'm also in the singing group (not big enough to call a choir) so we are rehearsing stuff for Holy Week and Easter.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Most of my self-improvement needs are vaguer, like "exercise more."

I've found that too, which is why I've tried to be specific this year - 20 minutes of prayer, decluttering and walking. I went out for an hour today, which made up for yesterday when I didn't manage it and has also given me a day's worth in hand. [Biased] The walking thing is a new discipline which is going ok. The 20 minutes of prayer/reading comes very naturally and it's hard keeping it to that limit. The decluttering is the real challenge. [Help]

People of no particular faith often think it's a Good Thing to give things up from time to time - maybe just to prove they can, or maybe they feel it's Good For the Soul?

Nen - wondering if soul-sister Mrs S would like to come and stay for a few weeks to assist with the decluttering lark. Refreshments would be provided. No coffee, obviously.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever given up lent for lent? Would that still count?

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Favourite Punch cartoon from he 1920s:

Young Man: 'I'm giving up dancing and cocktails for Lent'.

Young Woman: 'And I'm giving up you.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nen - wondering if soul-sister Mrs S would like to come and stay for a few weeks to assist with the decluttering lark. Refreshments would be provided. No coffee, obviously.

Throwing out other people's Stuff? I like it! [Devil] Nen, I'd love to - much more fun than going to work!

The Regretful Mrs. S

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016