homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vivat Ricardus Rex! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vivat Ricardus Rex!
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How fabulous that the human remains in Leicester have been confirmed as those of Richard III. He will be reburied in Leicester Cathedral, probably next year. I am such a happy bunny that I just want to tell the world!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is pretty amazing and very cool.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But will they be burying him according to the rites he would have known in his lifetime, namely a full Latin Requiem Mass?
It just doesn't seem right to send him off with modern Common Worship rites.......... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed! On the press conference this morning the Cathedral man (sorry, can't remember his name) said they are now going to start planning the ceremony, so I imagine that will be one of the things uppermost in their minds...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<=<= I feel my avatar should have a small smile on his face.

It would be really cool if they got the Archbishop of Westminster to do the Requiem.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

It would be really cool if they got the Archbishop of Westminster to do the Requiem.

According to the Medieval Franciscan use?
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing news. I've been fascinated by Richard in the past, due to Shakespeare and that book -- is it The Thief of Time? I wish I could attend the ceremony . . .

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The book is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, which was a pseudonym of Elizabeth Mackintosh. She also wrote plays - notably Richard of Bordeaux - under the pseudonym of Gordon Daviot.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, thank you, loyal Pine Marten. You shall have at least a baronetcy when We take up Our kingdom.

We think We shall have to go about ordering a new crown, though. The current one is soiled for Us by its long association with those parvenus, the Windsors.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

I think they should bring back Viv Faull to do the honours.

[Devil]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Vivat' seems slightly inaccurate though!

For interested people who may not be aware, there's a programme following the archaeologists on Channel 4 tonight. Link (and 4oD is available in Ireland too unlike iPlayer!)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
How fabulous that the human remains in Leicester have been confirmed as those of Richard III. He will be reburied in Leicester Cathedral, probably next year. I am such a happy bunny that I just want to tell the world!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Why is this such happy-making news?

It's very interesting, but the man was a nepoticide, a usurper and by our standards perpetrator of an abounding breach of trust.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

It's very interesting, but the man was a nepoticide, a usurper and by our standards perpetrator of an abounding breach of trust.

Here we go...

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm delighted anyway.

And now we know for a fact that the 'withered arm' legend can be added to the list of More's demonstrable falsehoods.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the man was a nepoticide, a usurper and by our standards perpetrator of an abounding breach of trust.

if you choose to believe the Tudor 'spin' on history

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
quote:

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Deep breath... (the extremely short version follows) well, to be absolutely accurate there is no proof that the princes were murdered by anyone, so to call him a nepoticide is not correct; he had a legitimate claim to the crown; you can't judge somebody of the 15th century 'by our standards' - besides I think he was easily in danger of being executed himself if the Woodvilles got their way. Hindsight from 500 years on is a marvellous thing.

I am a proud member of the Richard III Society [Smile]

--------------------

hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard III was very popular in York, so perhaps York Minster has a claim to be his last resting place. After his death at the battle of Bosworth Field the city fathers placed on record (very bravely, in the circumstances) that 'King Richard ... was through great treason piteously slain and murdered, to the great heaviness of this city.'

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Given the usual modus operandi of medieval monarchs, that's a pretty clean crime sheet. Show me the medieval monarch not guilty of at least one piece of Grade A nastiness.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent //
quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
The book is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, which was a pseudonym of Elizabeth Mackintosh. She also wrote plays - notably Richard of Bordeaux - under the pseudonym of Gordon Daviot.

[Eek!] I'm gob-smacked. "Gordon Daviot" was a former pupil of my school and we had to slog through a dire play of hers - but I'm sure our teacher never mentioned she was also Josephine Tey! I think my English teacher had actually known her.
end tangent //

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
But will they be burying him according to the rites he would have known in his lifetime, namely a full Latin Requiem Mass?
It just doesn't seem right to send him off with modern Common Worship rites.......... [Ultra confused]

Well, I think he was very much a pragmatist, whatever he did or didn't do to his nephews, so any form of decent burial should do.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a Society for many English monarchs?

#aColonist'sQuestion

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather it won't be a funeral, whatever it is, because he already had one. I guess, like being baptized, you can only be done once.

The phrases I saw used in reports were "ecumenical" and "memorial service".

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The book noted above, Tey's The Daughter of Time, makes a pretty good case against these claims, especially nepoticide.

--------------------

SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard III is my absolute favourite king of England so I too am chuffed that he will finally have an identified grave. I'm guessing that it will have to be in Leicester but for choice I'd go with York Minster, if not Westminster Abbey. But I do find the images of the skeletons curved spine very poignant.
Where ever he is buried I hope that he doesn't simply become the focus of the best efforts of that areas tourist information dept.
I was also wondering about the form of a reburial and whether or not it ought to be Catholic. After all Richard predates the reformation by at least one generation.

Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By his own beliefs and the teaching of the church at the time, he presumably ought to be buried in unconsecrated ground as he died without confession ?

Either way praying for his soul in purgatory / hell would seen consonant with the beliefs of the day.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@The Riv ... not really, but those who came to sticky ends or who some believe to have been maligned do attract supporters.

Some very High Anglicans venerate King Charles I, King and Martyr as though he were a Saint.

'George III,' as the Clerihew famously has it, 'Ought never to have occurred. One can only wonder at so grotesque a blunder,' but that hasn't stopped revisionists (and Prince Charles) from claiming that he wasn't a bad old stick after all ...

Actually, the poor chap was suffering from a rather unpleasant condition and, to be fair to him, it often surprises Americans to hear that he actually paid Washington some compliments later on ...

School kids tend not to learn lists of Kings and Queens by rote as we used to ... I could probably reel off the whole post-1066 list even now and also some of the pre-Conquest kings - although it gets a lot messier the further back you go with some kings having a kingdom no bigger than your local parking lot and a few football pitches or two.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
some kings having a kingdom no bigger than your local parking lot ...

As has Richard III for a long time ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:

The book noted above, Tey's The Daughter of Time, makes a pretty good case against these claims, especially nepoticide.
She did make a good case for how nasty Henry VII was, and that it would totally be in his nature to off a couple of kids in his path. But I have to wonder: if Richard III had preserved them and he had not lost to Henry Tudor, what did he plan to do with them when they grew up? It seems to me they would forever be a threat to Richard's reign. Like Mary Stuart, IMO they most likely would have been under indefinite house arrest until the inevitable plot was uncovered and the princes executed for treason.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was sweet how the archaeologist put a royal standard over the box with his bones in to carry it to the van [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some ways the documentary is more interesting as a study of the meaning made of this by Philippa Langley, rather than the archaeology - given we already know the punchline.

I do think the presenter is a bit of a useless herbert. We could have done with a little bit of concise historical analysis - after all they are padding this out to 90 minutes. I can see why they didn't give it to Starky as I think he would have eaten Philippa alive - but the commentary would probably have been more insightful.

(Watching in concert with this thread.)

[ 04. February 2013, 21:19: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(Impressed that More4 are showing Starkey's Monarchy on Richard the third directly after C4 documentary. Slightly forgive dorky commentary on the king in the carpark.)

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

She did make a good case for how nasty Henry VII was, and that it would totally be in his nature to off a couple of kids in his path. But I have to wonder: if Richard III had preserved them and he had not lost to Henry Tudor, what did he plan to do with them when they grew up? It seems to me they would forever be a threat to Richard's reign. Like Mary Stuart, IMO they most likely would have been under indefinite house arrest until the inevitable plot was uncovered and the princes executed for treason.

I don't think anyone suggests Henry VII was a nice, Father Christmas, Bagpuss sort of chap. He seems to have been a cold fish. The difficulty with trying to shift the blame onto him though, is that the public at large were convinced the little princes were dead by late 1483, when Henry Tudor was still in Brittany.

[ 04. February 2013, 21:44: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Starkey argues that the fact that the mother of the princes conspired with the mother of Henry Tudor, to marry her daughter to Henry Tudor, suggests she was convinced by that time that her sons were dead. This conspiracy was supposed to be instrumental in Henry's decision to cross the channel.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I can see why they didn't give it to Starky as I think he would have eaten Philippa alive

Somebody ought to have done.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While not a member of the Richard III Society, count me as definitely in his camp. His taking of the throne was rather out of character, so there must have been something serious that happened.

He certainly wouldn't have had the Obituary from the City of York if he'd been a murderer himself.

The fact that Henry VII didn't get any bad press for the manner in which he got rid of the Yorkists (the ones he didn't marry) while Richard III became a villain and hunchback just shows how winners write history - a significant, if obvious, lesson for students.

But, yes, Richard III was the last medieval King, given his participation in the Wars of the Roses and their aftermath, while Henry opened up the possibility that the Renaissance could happen in England, as well as the not-quite-Reformation brought about by his son, so, on the whole, Henry VII was a Good Thing in the end.

But, then again, Richard showed some enlightened ideas, so he might have been a Good Thing if he had survived.

The "what-ifs" of history! But I'm happy that he is at least now recognised properly.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... as he died without confession ...

I'd be surprised if that were the case. He died in battle: wouldn't it have been the custom to make one's confession and hear Mass before the battle started?

By chance, I've just finished re-reading The Seventh Son by Reay Tannahill, which portrays Richard as flawed, but certainly not the hunch-backed monster portrayed by Shakespeare (who was, after all, writing under the patronage of the Tudors).

I'm coming round to the idea that the killing of his nephews was more likely to have been at the behest of Margaret Beaufort, who it seems would have stopped at nothing to promote the cause of her son (who subsequently became Henry VII).

I'm glad they've found his remains, may he rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'George III,' as the Clerihew famously has it, 'Ought never to have occurred. One can only wonder at so grotesque a blunder,' but that hasn't stopped revisionists (and Prince Charles) from claiming that he wasn't a bad old stick after all ...

Actually, the poor chap was suffering from a rather unpleasant condition and, to be fair to him, it often surprises Americans to hear that he actually paid Washington some compliments later on ...

George the First was reckoned
Vile, but viler George the Second.
And which mortal ever heard
Any good of George the Third?
When from earth the Fourth descended,
Heaven be praised, the Georges ended.

Actually, there is a connection here, because while Richard III was the last king to die in battle, George II was the last king to lead his troops into battle, at Dettingen in 1743.

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
I don't think anyone suggests Henry VII was a nice, Father Christmas, Bagpuss sort of chap. He seems to have been a cold fish. The difficulty with trying to shift the blame onto him though, is that the public at large were convinced the little princes were dead by late 1483, when Henry Tudor was still in Brittany.

I think that's true (though it's not clear Tey knew of the extent of these rumors when she wrote TDOT.

However, it seems odd (as Tey notes) that there was never any mention of the boys' disappearance in the Bill of Attainder drawn up against Richard.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:

George the First was reckoned
Vile, but viler George the Second.
And which mortal ever heard
Any good of George the Third?
When from earth the Fourth descended,
Heaven be praised, the Georges ended.

Actually, there is a connection here, because while Richard III was the last king to die in battle, George II was the last king to lead his troops into battle, at Dettingen in 1743.

What an unspeakable libel on the character of our glorious former Sovereign George III, of late and happy memory! I live on the edge of the Loyalist Tract in a county founded in 1793 by those selfsame Loyalists. No town here is complete without any or all of the following: King Street, Queen Street, George Street or Charlotte Street.

Long may the House of Hanover continue to reign over us!

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is certainly no contemporary consensus that Richard III was innocent of his nephews' murders.

Peter Ackroyd, a serious though not academic historian, wrote in his popular The History Of England Volume I: Foundation (2011), "There can be little doubt that the two boys were murdered on the express or implicit order of Richard III".

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hanginginthere:
Richard III was very popular in York, so perhaps York Minster has a claim to be his last resting place. After his death at the battle of Bosworth Field the city fathers placed on record (very bravely, in the circumstances) that 'King Richard ... was through great treason piteously slain and murdered, to the great heaviness of this city.'

This came up in a predecessor to this thread - apparently Leicester Cathedral (which is walking distance from where he's been these five hundred years and more) was very keen to provide a fitting reburial place and there were no competing claims from either York Minster (probably one of Richard's own top choices) or Westminster Abbey.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know much about C of E burial rites. Do they include a basic "may all his sins be forgiven and may he find light and peace" clause? Seems like that would cover all the possible truths of his life. (If he hasn't already found forgiveness and light and peace.)

Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Channel 4 programme was dreadful - a really good story and an appalling programme. I don't think the osteoarchaeologist was very happy.

Boogie said:

quote:
It was sweet how the archaeologist put a royal standard over the box with his bones in to carry it to the van

If by 'sweet', you mean cloying and sickening, I'll agree.

roseofsharon said:

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see why they didn't give it to Starky as I think he would have eaten Philippa alive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody ought to have done.

Hear hear.

I suppose I feel quite disappointed as I did an MA in archaeology with Leicester and it just feels they compromised rather. I hope it was just that the programme gave this impression.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, anyone whose name is immortalised in Cockney Rhyming Slang deserves a good resting place.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by M.:

Boogie said:

quote:
It was sweet how the archaeologist put a royal standard over the box with his bones in to carry it to the van

No, I mean touching that she had an emotional attachment to the bones, and because of this showed them such respect.

[ 05. February 2013, 07:28: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am a proud member of the Richard III Society [Smile]

Me too! Fabulous news isn't it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
I thought the Channel 4 programme was dreadful - a really good story and an appalling programme. I don't think the osteoarchaeologist was very happy.

Boogie said:

quote:

As Phillipa Langley inaugurated the quest for King Richard's lost grave as part of her ongoing research for a book she is currently writing, and as members/supporters of the King Richard III Society raised much of the money to fund it, there was bound to be some involvement by her. However, I felt from very early in the programme (to be specific, when she could 'feel' Richard's presence under that "R" marked parking bay) that what could have been a serious investigative programme was going to be severely marred by emotional flim flam.

I suppose it was meant to make the programme more appealing to a wider audience. [Roll Eyes]

For the very little it's worth; my preferred villain in the Princes In The Tower story is Margaret Beaufort

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

Boogie said:

quote:

As Phillipa Langley inaugurated the quest for King Richard's lost grave as part of her ongoing research for a book she is currently writing, and as members/supporters of the King Richard III Society raised much of the money to fund it, there was bound to be some involvement by her. However, I felt from very early in the programme (to be specific, when she could 'feel' Richard's presence under that "R" marked parking bay) that what could have been a serious investigative programme was going to be severely marred by emotional flim flam.

I suppose it was meant to make the programme more appealing to a wider audience. [Roll Eyes]

Yep - that's me, a 'wider audience' I wouldn't have ordinarily found the subject even vaguely interesting. I am a republican. As I said, I didn't find it cloying or sickening. I found the respect given to the bones touching.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where was Tony Robinson? I think he'd have made a much better job of marrying the emotional side of the story - the look on the bone specialist's face at times when faced with Langley's feelings about the subject were priceless - with the serious archeology than Simon Farnaby did.
Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

Boogie said:

quote:

No, I mean touching that she had an emotional attachment to the bones, and because of this showed them such respect.
I think it was unfortunate that Philippa came over as a bit... well, bonkers, which is a shame. She spoke at our Society AGM last year, and gave an interesting account of her involvement in the dig.

And if it wasn't for her grit and determination over 4 years this project would never even have been started, so all credit to her.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016