homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » GIN (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: GIN
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all love it.... favourite GIN based drinks,GIN related stories and anything else...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I'm a fan of a good martini—but "good" does not mean "cold, cloudy gin." Oh no. 3 parts gin (I like the locally made Green Hat for this purpose), 1 part Dolin dry vermouth, a couple dashes orange bitters, STIRRED well with crushed ice, and a good, briny olive. However, if the person behind the stick's really good, it's worth your while to order a 20th Century, especially if they have good creme de cacao:
3 parts gin (try something more full-flavored, like an Old Tom or Anchor Junipro)
1 part Lilet Blanc
1 part white creme de cacao
.5 part fresh lemon juice
Shake with cubed ice, garnish with a flamed lemon twist.

Delicious.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..right, breakfast!

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was why I was always going to be a natural Anglo-********, even an affirming liberal one. Love the stuff. Not an ale man, me.

[let's speak pr***rly]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:52: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to quite like it on those very rare warm summer evenings. Now when was that: 1995? (Oh, and BTW Karl, real ale is the natural drink of Affirming ********s)

[ 11. February 2013, 08:33: Message buggered about with by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funnily enough it's only been while living as an expat that I have taken to drinking G&T. I blame the British Ambassador...
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I've got to quite like it on those very rare warm summer evenings. Now when was that: 1995? (Oh, and BTW Karl, real ale is the natural drink of Affirming ********s)

I do believe we've stumbled on an H&A Randomly Banned Word!

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know how to make a St Mary Bourne St. Pink Gin? I have never tried one but hear they are legendary.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a gin stall on my local market. They keep trying to tempt me to try their gin. I am seriously considering it, maybe after Lent (as i am attempting to give up alcohol)

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brecon GIN, to my surprise, is actually lightly flavoured enough that it is sippable (though a dash of tonic helps).

AG

[ 11. February 2013, 11:44: Message buggered about with by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't like tonic so I have mine with Waitrose's diet cloudy grapefruit. Low in Slimming World syns too [Big Grin]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GIN is the best thing ever!!!!! A poor substitute for it is DUTCH GIN aka JENEVER. If I recall (hazy) days in the Netherlands, there's OUDE JENEVER and JONGE JENEVER, and there's nothing like it to go with apple pie (with cream) and a black coffee and a spl.......oops TIACW........

Ian J.

[corrected vile and wicked errors]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:51: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

No! Nay! Never! Beer is PROTESTANT drink! It came in with the Reformation!

Actually it more or less did - the ale we had in Britain before then was rather different, probabkly opaque rather than clear, very weak in alchohol, usually sweetened, and flavoured with a variety of herbs other than hops. True beer was used in Germany and Bohemia and the Low Countries in the Middle Ages but only came over here with hop culttivation in the 16th century. Bitter beer came in, and those asterised hereticks went out! How blessed was our land in those days! [Razz]

So there!

[ 11. February 2013, 12:43: Message buggered about with by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
Does anyone know how to make a St Mary Bourne St. Pink Gin? I have never tried one but hear they are legendary.

I'd heard it involved equal quantities of gin and sherry. I tried it once using Amontillado and it wasn't half bad.

(None of those words are banned. Ho hum, I wonder if the Anglo********s at Bourne Street could supply us with a definitive recipe. Ah, that got it...)

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GIN is my favourite.

[Adjusted for ethanolical correctness]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:50: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bombay here. slimline tonic, lime.

or Xoriguer Gin. preferably sat in a bar on Mahon Harbour.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, I 'discovered' what I considered to be the ultimate gin cocktail. Half-fill a pint mug with strong, cold, black tea. Add an equal amount of dry gin, and just a dash of fizzy banana (if unavailable, American cream soda will suffice). Stir gently, and then consume.

I recall once being on my second (or, perhaps, my third) of these, when I saw two flies apparently copulating in mid-air. As they passed over my cocktail, they seemed overcome by fumes, and fluttered gently down into (what was for them) an immense vat of gin. I was rather envious. I could think of no finer way to end one's life, than the process they had just demonstrated.

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Real ********s drink Guinness.

FIFY. Round here, anyway.

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GIN: The One True Anglo-Cthulhic Beverage.

Recipe:

GIN & martini glasses (who drinks alone?—well, not very often) straight from the freezer.

Rinse the interior of the glasses with dry vermouth and then dump the excess.

Pour in 1-1/2 ounces of your best GIN into each glass. Measure out by eye; it shouldn't last long enough to get warm. If you want it, there's plenty more in the freezer.

NO olive, NO onion, NO lemon peel in the drink. Leave the fruits and vegetables to the fruit and vegetable eaters. If you must have hors d'oeuvre, that's a separate project.

Haven't got a bottle in the freezer, naughty boys and girls? Use a cocktail mixer/shaker with plenty of cracked ice. Stir or shake, it doesn't matter.

Haven't had the foresight to have the glasses in the freezer? Fill each glass to the brim with cracked ice and water and let sit for a couple of minutes. Then empty and swiftly wipe out the water residue with a clean towel.

[ 11. February 2013, 15:21: Message buggered about with by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, folks. You've inspired me to get the Tanqueray out of the cupboard in the middle of the night.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GIN is a decadent drink, suitable only for louche theatrical types and notorious homosexualists.

Mine's a Tanqueray. Large one. Cheers!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm clearly a high church protestant as I especially love gin and much prefer it to beer.

SS

[Greetings from your friendly neighbourhood inquisition]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:49: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola GIN.

Or maybe with tonic. Or as a martini. Or in a range of delightful cocktails. So much GIN, so little time.

[conformed post to Eccles-think]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:48: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now, a deconstruction of your Sins Against Gins:

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
GIN: The One True Anglo-Cthulhic Beverage.

Recipe:

GIN & martini glasses (who drinks alone?—well, not very often) straight from the freezer.

Rinse the interior of the glasses with dry vermouth and then dump the excess.

HERETIC! The vermouth is absolutely essential to the cocktail; it adds a counterbalancing herbal bouquet, as well as something known as "flavor" from the wine base. Otherwise, you're just drinking cold gin.
quote:

Pour in 1-1/2 ounces of your best GIN into each glass. Measure out by eye; it shouldn't last long enough to get warm. If you want it, there's plenty more in the freezer.

NO olive, NO onion, NO lemon peel in the drink. Leave the fruits and vegetables to the fruit and vegetable eaters. If you must have hors d'oeuvre, that's a separate project.

GET BEHIND ME SATAN! The garnish, in addition to adding a hint of flavor if it's citrus and becoming delicious if soaked in a martini, is what indicates you're having a finished drink, not just some booze someone dumped in a glass without a second thought. The aspect of Perfection is indeed divine, as can be seen:
1. Aristotle defines "being" as the act of all acts, the perfection of all perfections.
2. According to the more eminent theologians (i.e., Scotus), God is maxime ens, the highest of all possible beings, one of pure act with no potency.
3. Therefore, if God is a being of pure act, and the perfection of all beings, then He is the act of the act of all acts, and the perfection of the perfection of all perfections.
4. Therefore, by perfecting our martinis (or, perhaps, by perfecting our perfect martinis, if you've got some Carpano Antico Formula hanging around next to the Dolin), we imitate the Divine.

QED.
quote:

Haven't got a bottle in the freezer, naughty boys and girls? Use a cocktail mixer/shaker with plenty of cracked ice. Stir or shake, it doesn't matter.

YES IT BLOODY WELL DOES!
Okay, this is the big one. Shaking gin with ice clouds your gin—you get microscopic ice crystals and air bubbles mixed into your liquid, yielding a pretty nice suspension that will only come undone once the ice melts—or, in other words, when your drink is no longer cold enough. ALWAYS stir ANY drink made entirely from booze. The clarity is what makes the martini. I know James Bond drinks shaken vodka martinis, but he's James Bond—he's daring you to call him out for intentionally ordering a poorly-made half-assed fake version of a real drink. He has a license to kill; you don't. End of argument.
quote:

Haven't had the foresight to have the glasses in the freezer? Fill each glass to the brim with cracked ice and water and let sit for a couple of minutes. Then empty and swiftly wipe out the water residue with a clean towel.

MILDLY WRONG PERSON! Just give the glasses a quick hard shake well away from any counters; you don't want towels smudging up your glassware that you're serving a nice, clear drink that you stirred, do you?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Beauty of the Solas is that one doesn't have to worry about undue appurtenances to the True Drink (GIN).

Now as so where the True Drink (GIN) comes from, that, that is a matter for Godly reflection and discernment.

[corrected heresy]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:46: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What denomination favors Tiki drinks? That's what I want to be!!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely not a Gin person. Brandy, any day. Cognac, armagnac, calvados - there's nothing like the beautiful amber glow in the glass, the rich scent of it, and the split-second deceptive sweet tang of the taste, followed a millisecond later by a chariot of fire roaring down your throat and that instant glow of warmth spreading everywhere. Brandy is best drunk after a really good meal, as you sit in a comfortable chair by the fire and relax.

None of which is true of gin. Gin is cooling, perfumed, elegant. Gin is for long, lazy summer afternoons on the lawn, under the shade of a leafy green tree. Or featuring in cocktails. Or, as Dutch genever, drunk chilled to almost freezing point on a cold winter's night.

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Brecon GIN, to my surprise, is actually lightly flavoured enough that it is sippable (though a dash of tonic helps).

AG

Brecon Gin is a fine drink, only surpassed by the difficult-to-obtain Hereford Gin, which never gives you a hangover!

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only way that a bottle of gin can be rendered palatable IMO is by the addition of 6oz of sloes, 4oz of sugar, and being left to soak for 4 months while inverting the bottle every day for the first month. There isn't much point using top quality gin, supermarket cheapest unbranded works well. (Maybe this aversion to gin correlates with my below-the-candlestick ecclesiology. But then, I like Scotch whisky... [Big Grin] )
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes but while Gin is talked about in Ecclesiantics, Whisky and Beer gets straight to Heaven.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I love GIN. I renounce my wicked heresy and the unrighteousness of my sledgehammer.

Pass the tonic.

[fixed that for you [Big Grin] ]

[ 11. February 2013, 20:45: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

If anyone say that GIN be not the true elixir of life, anathema sit!

[ 11. February 2013, 20:09: Message buggered about with by: seasick ]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
...you don't want towels smudging up your glassware...

Dunno about your crib, but in the Acolyte Household, we always keep clean bar towels close to hand.

I donwanna ask what you use yours for.

[ 11. February 2013, 20:37: Message buggered about with by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

Brecon Gin is a fine drink, only surpassed by the difficult-to-obtain Hereford Gin, which never gives you a hangover!
Brecon GIN is my preferred day-to-day GIN. It easily stands up to much better known (and more costly) GINs.

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
The only way that a bottle of gin can be rendered palatable IMO is by the addition of 6oz of sloes, 4oz of sugar, and being left to soak for 4 months while inverting the bottle every day for the first month. There isn't much point using top quality gin, supermarket cheapest unbranded works well. (Maybe this aversion to gin correlates with my below-the-candlestick ecclesiology. But then, I like Scotch whisky... [Big Grin] )
Angus

There is another way. Peel of 2 lemons and 2 seville oranges, 10oz sugar and a litre of cheap gin, left for a fortnight and shaken/stirred every day gets you Orange Gin which is a thing of great joy. The longer you leave it the better, but after a fortnight it's pretty good... (I made a second batch today, just in time to get the last of the seville oranges)
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
I love GIN. I renounce my wicked heresy and the unrighteousness of my sledgehammer.

Pass the tonic.

[fixed that for you [Big Grin] ]

seasick, get your hand out of there. [Ultra confused]

Besides, what is a good ********* like you doing drinking anyway? Backsliding, are we?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

You know you love it! [Cool]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

What I love is Gibson's Gold Label 12-year old Whisky, and a Charles Wesley hymn, in that order.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

He writes about the Spirit of life and power and love... just like GIN [Smile]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You're a *********. What is this unnatural obsession with that drink of the Canterbury lot?

Try Church Union: 2 parts Canadian Whisky (Presbyterians), 2 parts Canada Dry Tonic Water (*********s), 1 part Port (Congregationalists, very English, but not that horrid other lot) and a dash of Goldschlager (the EUB).

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a bottle of apple GIN for Christmas which is rather nice. I drink both GIN and beer, but there are times when only GIN will do for example after a certain vote in November. That did slightly confuse the barman as I was at post-ringing pub, and post-ringing is definitely a time for ale (but I'd actually been working and only joined ringers in pub so the two requirements didn't collide)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

GIN is broader than any one interpretation of it. It is not confined to the Church of England, nor yet to the A******* Communion but its glories spread over the earth. As it happens I also like whisky and port and various other things... but that Church Union thing sounds horrible!

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a most excellent Martini or two on Christmas Night in Donegal and it fair cushioned the dramatic climax to Downton Abbey -

* Double English measure of nearly frozen Gordon's GIN

* Double English measure of Martini Extra Dry Vermouth

* Some crushed Ice in the glass, because in buying the Martini glasses I couldn't afford the cocktail flask

* Squeezed lime juice from a slice

* A twist of lime

Venite Adoremus!

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
quote:
Angus

There is another way. Peel of 2 lemons and 2 seville oranges, 10oz sugar and a litre of cheap gin, left for a fortnight and shaken/stirred every day gets you Orange Gin which is a thing of great joy. The longer you leave it the better, but after a fortnight it's pretty good... (I made a second batch today, just in time to get the last of the seville oranges)
Thank you, Scots lass, I'll definitely try that! Now, I saw some seville oranges in the supermarket last Friday, must rush down there tomorrow to see if they've still got some. Otherwise it will be a whole year before I can get any again. [Waterworks]

[bit of a tangent] For other fruit liqueurs (damson/raspberry/loganberry/gooseberry/blackcurrant) I think vodka works better than gin, and for blackberries, scotch is the spirit of choice [/bit of a tangent]
Angus

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have drunk pink GIN in a Cambridge college during the great Bitters Drought of 20**. I've drunk very strong G&T in stylish London department stores with curly-headed FIF ******s in rabat and cufflinks. I've drunk GIN with senior Evangelicals in their clubs, and with bright young scholars of Wesley House and Westminster College. But best by far is the GIN that the landlady of my local hands me when I stick my head round the door of the pub after Evensong on a Sunday in Ordinary Time. Three cheers for GIN, the Focus of Unity!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For blackberries, scotch is the spirit of choice.

I had never heard of blackberry whisky. It's seven months until they come into season here, but then they come into season with a vengeance. I now have a plan!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
For blackberries, scotch is the spirit of choice.

I had never heard of blackberry whisky. It's seven months until they come into season here, but then they come into season with a vengeance. I now have a plan!
I heard Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall enthusing about it on the radio several years ago. As I type I'm sampling some of my 2007 vintage, and it's truly remarkable how it doesn't taste of scotch. According to HF-W, it turns into something very special after 3 years in bottle, if one has the restraint to leave it alone for that long, and I think I'd endorse his recommendation. Here's the recipe from his website. I use 16oz blackberries, 5oz sugar and 70cl scotch (you wouldn't want to use a single malt, Bells seems to work OK) and then I add more sugar to taste depending on how sweet it has come out.

The webpage also includes a recipe for elderberry GIN that I haven't heard of before. Interesting. [Biased]
Angus

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Anglo-C******* credentials have always been questionable, and not only because of the Calvinism. I like dirty martinis, and since I don't have martini glasses I use an old-fashioned glass instead.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Voice of experience here: for most fruit or other liqueurs, you probably want to use the highest-octane alcohol you can find. Everclear (193 proof grain alcohol) is far and away the best potable solvent you can use. Granted, for sloe gin or blackberry whiskey (note the "e"—bourbon is superior to Scotch or even rye in this case, due to its natural sweetness), you'll want, well, gin or bourbon,* but for orangecello, creme de cacao, hibiscus liqueur, or anything herbal, go for the neutral spirits.

*Okay, now that I think about it, coffee and vanilla (and, I suppose, chocolate or even hazelnut) taste good with rum—I've made 'em with dark rum before, and they are quite good, thanks to the natural vanilla notes in aged rums. For chocolate, I like the pure spirit to let the cocoa shine through, but, if your tastes run towards mixing rum and chocolate, more power to ya.

As for bar towels, there's always going to be a bit of dust in the fibers, to say nothing of causing streaking on your glasses. Far better to let them air dry, or just not worry about the bit of water you have in your glass. Stirring your drink with ice introduces water into it anyway, and making your drinks too strong monkeys up the taste.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was introduced to GIN in the churchyard of Downpatrick Cathedral when the Curate produced a bottle along with ice and tonic for the adult singers during the break at a choral festival; although I only drink it occasionally (usually on aeroplanes) I always enjoy it when I do.

Whenever I can get damsons, I make damson GIN - IMHO much nicer than sloe GIN. Fill a large glass jar 5/6 full of damsons that you've pricked with a darning-needle. Add 6 tablespoons white sugar and top up with GIN*. Close the jar and put it in a cool, dark place for at least 6 weeks, turning it about once a week. After 6 weeks, strain it through a cheese-cloth or muslin into sterilised bottles.

It's the most beautiful ruby colour, and deceptively strong (it is, after all, almost neat GIN). Serve it in liqueur glasses as a post-prandial.

* There's no point in using good GIN for this, as the flavour really comes from the damsons, so use the cheapest you can find.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016