homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Smartphones (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Smartphones
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got upgraded a few months ago. There must be all sorts of stuff I could do on my phone, but mainly I text e-mail and talk. For anything else, like trying to read the Ship, the screen is so small it's frustrating. Certainly I wouldn't want to try to read a book on it, assuming I knew how to try.

However, I would like to ask a question to all of you who understand these things. I was given a Blackberry, and it looks pretty nifty to me. But I'm led to believe Blackberrys are now very last decade. What's seen as the problem with them, and why are other phones meant to be better?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still use a four year old Blackberry. It works well and I dread the day that I will have to learn how to handle a different phone. The learning curve was steep as I didn't know much about cell phones when I got it.

The are many more apps available for iPhones and android phones and people seem to like that. They also like touch screens. I have never been very comfortable with those and I like having the keyboard.

[ 17. February 2013, 22:27: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's that new BB which just came out. I switched fromBlackberry into iPhone and though I clearly remember hours learning the BB and the Android, the iPhone was easy. It doesn't even come with a manual! It really is intuitive, so don't worry about the learning curve (well, unless you go to an Android).

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert,
BlackBerry once had huge market share,from inventing the smartphone, more or less. They've had lots of bad press, only some of it justified.

As a software development manager, I had to recommend against developing for BB because they didn't really have a platform. You didn't develop for BB before 10; you had to develop for particular devices. Thereby they substantially missed the boat for a lot of apps.

I think they started to get their act together with BB 7; they had to fire the founders todo it.

I carry a version 7 BlackBerry and it's pretty capable.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No smartphone. Just a very basic, pre-paid phone. Doesn't even have a camera. I have it mostly for running-late calls, emergencies, and a backup for my landline. (Yes, I still have one!) Suits my needs.

I rarely text. I keep in touch with friends by e-mail--from home, using a desktop PC.

I'm not against smartphones, but I tend not to adopt new technology until I both need and can afford it. Plus they don't usually have keyboards; I'm not overly fond of touch screens; I get a little motion sick from even a regular computer screen, and all that touch-scrolling... [Paranoid] and I suspect smartphones break easily if dropped.

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not important enough to have smart-phones, but apparently my brother is: he is self-employed and is nearly always on the go! He virtually never answers his land-lines; nor do I unless I know who it is and just want to speak to them. Mostly, my lowly Kyocera Virgin Mobile flip-phone is for emergencies, calls about work and in lieu of hotel telephones. It costs me only five cents a minute!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
However, I would like to ask a question to all of you who understand these things. I was given a Blackberry, and it looks pretty nifty to me. But I'm led to believe Blackberrys are now very last decade. What's seen as the problem with them, and why are other phones meant to be better?

I was given one too - I love it! (Granted, part of why I love it is that I didn't have to pay for it.)

I would never have bought one myself, but as it turns out the physical keyboard is quite good, though the tiny (in comparison) screen means that general web browsing is not as good, say, an iPhone/Galaxy/etc that have a larger screen. Also there is not the wide variety of apps on the BlackBerry. I've heard reports that installing too many apps make it a bit crashy, so I don't have any extras apart from what it came with in the box.

Its proprietary messaging system (between BlackBerry handsets only) used to be a big seller, as it was secure and free, however nowadays I think you can get pretty much the same thing using various instant messaging apps. Plus most phone tariffs now include unlimited texting.

However. The poor web browsing experience has meant that I don't use it for general surfing, but instead only use it for email, text, Twitter & Facebook (er, and voice calls). As it turns out, this is the ideal balance - I don't waste lots of time idly browsing the net, I only use it to communicate with actual friends, and the battery doesn't get drained in half a day.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I don't take the tablet to church, so use the phone to look up bible texts during the sermon (contextualising the lectionary selections, for example)

It's interesting: I'm a very heavy smartphone user (indeed, my job is writing iPhone apps), and I use it all the time in public to do things like manage my calendar and keep up to date with social media, but I would never use one during a church service. I think it's because I'd be worried other people might think I was playing games, or would find it distracting.

But then, I was one of the ones who objected to using laptops in lectures at uni, while my housemate made a point of always having his laptop so that if the lecturer was going too slowly for him, he could do something else (send email, play a game) to keep his brain from going to sleep.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loathe people texting in church. That scene from Gran Torino with the girl texting at her grandmother's funeral is very real. I've seen a few people following the service on tablets, but it seems a bit like showing off, to me at present. But reading the lessons, or indeed the whole service off a smartphone, tablet or ereader is something I've done in emergencies a few times. I honestly expect it to become more and more familiar.

Soon, I hope there's an app that will show the whole service, including all hymns and lessons and prayers by just a tap on an icon. Say, a priest feels the King James is perfect for the Xmas Gospel, or a mid-20th century Ancient & Modern hymn inexplicably missing from subsequent hymnals will tie in perfectly with the sermon, etc-all going with Common Worship Supplement Prayer K, all easily chosen from an office computer or tablet.

When worshipped come in, they tap there phones or tabs and off we go! Hope there will soon be an app for that.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have ipads (school ones) in our classrooms now. Not log before the phone version arrives I'll be bound.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

Soon, I hope there's an app that will show the whole service, including all hymns and lessons and prayers by just a tap on an icon. Say, a priest feels the King James is perfect for the Xmas Gospel, or a mid-20th century Ancient & Modern hymn inexplicably missing from subsequent hymnals will tie in perfectly with the sermon, etc-all going with Common Worship Supplement Prayer K, all easily chosen from an office computer or tablet.

When worshipped come in, they tap there phones or tabs and off we go! Hope there will soon be an app for that.

Goodness, that sounds completely alien to me. And our current priest is as dense techy-wise as I am. Even the geeks we do have in the congo don't bring their things to church, though some of them use them in PCC meetings.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very telling photo re: smartphones!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Yes, a sign of the times. Mr Nen and I usually go to the pub once a week and we're amused to see a crowd of lads sitting round a table, not talking to each other or making a row, just playing on their smartphones. [Eek!]

Nen - now the proud owner of an ipad. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have one. I use the computer a lot and it is quite refreshing to leave the house (for the day, or when I go on holiday) and leave it all behind, to do something quite different.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I completely understand your POV, but, for me, a smartphone is liberating. I can wander, free from any schedule. If what I decided to do falls short, I can find something else easily. I have always liked exploring, my smartphone makes this easier, it expands my world.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

It wasn't comparing like for like though:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/about-those-2005-and-2013-photos-of-the-crowds-in-st-peters-square/2013/ 03/14/aaf1067a-8cf9-11e2-9f54-f3fdd70acad2_blog.html

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I think it was - in the (comparable) 2005 photo people had cameras and camcorders. In the 2013 photo smartphones are everywhere.

You only need to go on a train to see that.

[ 26. March 2013, 12:01: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

It depends how you define 'idiots' but here is another telling photo!

We were having a meal at home with my son and GF yesterday evening and I was struck by the fact that, during conversation, where (in the past) we would be rushing for the maps and encyclopedias - now we just get the phones out to Google the info we need. Smartphones don't prevent conversation in our case - they enhance it.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016