homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » dated advertisements

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: dated advertisements
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shipmates may be amused (or appalled!) by some of the adverts in this collection , which was labelled by the Sydney Morning Herald as "101 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads".

Some of you may want to tell us of other similar sets.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then we snapped.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly - they can't count (several repeats in the set).

Apart from the things would expect to be appalled at I noted the one for a vitamin and food supplement to stop you being scrawny and to get some curves and weight. a bit different to today's diet based ads.

And the claim that weaning tiny toddlers onto sugary fizz gives them a better more adapted happier life... [shudders] an interesting view in light of the fizzy drink tax debate over in purg.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Put the finest label on your table?" Shocking, I tell you, shocking! No self-respecting hostess would ever allow a commercial package to be seen on her table.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Avila:
quote:
And the claim that weaning tiny toddlers onto sugary fizz gives them a better more adapted happier life... [shudders] an interesting view in light of the fizzy drink tax debate over in purg.

Google suggests that one is a fake, and that there never has been a "Soda Pop Board of America"
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the one about 'schoolgirl complexion' - which now comes across as rather creepy.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm intrigued at the claim that women's suffrage would double the irresponsible vote. Surely that implies that men and women are in fact irresponsible in equal proportions?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the lipstick one (the 4th or 5th ad) is offensive, unless I'm missing something..

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the ads I see are not nearly as interesting. It seems most television commercials in the US are for prescription medicines. I am offended by them because we're supposed to beg the doctor to give us those pills and s/he gets a trip to Bermuda after prescribing 100? Health care should not be an industry.

The only interesting ads on TV seem to be from car insurance companies. I never see ads for soaps and other cleansers any more.

But surely, in a few years the Clio winning ads of our days will be as dated as those in the SMH.

I understand the one about getting babies hooked on sugary fizz water are faked ads that were done up to LOOK like 40s advertising and have since gone viral--they never really existed. I don't doubt the other ones. Times have changed!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
I don't think the lipstick one (the 4th or 5th ad) is offensive, unless I'm missing something..

Well, prudish old Miss Amanda has never seen a woman apply lipstick by puckering her lips and bending over an "erect" lipstick tube, although such a pose does suggest certain other things even to her.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, dear, Sabrina and her projection equipment...

This really is a blast from the past. The Coke ad is a bit shocking though - if it isn't a parody.

Somewhere I think I might still have a copy of a book I inherited at one office - "Practice for Secretaries" - which included quite a lot of useful hints, including the advice to "always make sure the seams of your stockings are straight."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Somewhere I think I might still have a copy of a book I inherited at one office - "Practice for Secretaries" - which included quite a lot of useful hints, including the advice to "always make sure the seams of your stockings are straight."

Particularly if you are wearing them on your head during the armed hostage-taking of senior management...
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the projector ad I'm amazed the woman can stand up straight with those 'projections'...

It certainly shows the influence Norman Rockwell had on that generation!

And the Telex - 16bit for only $6800...

And how can one woman break 14 fingernails?

can't believe I looked at all of them...

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Not

Ship's Quack
# 2166

- Posted      Profile for Not   Email Not   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit startled by the obsession with douching - all those pictures of husbands rushing out of the door, lip curled in disgust, because the poor wife hadn't doused herself in Lysol. Extraordinary example of creating a market for something utterly unnecessary out of thin air.

--------------------
Was CJ; now Not

Posts: 600 | From: the far, far West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

That is precisely how all advertising works. Create a need/ problem no one knew they had, and sell the 'solution'.

Unfortunately, as this comparison of then and now ads shows things have not moved on that much as regards sexism.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not:
Bit startled by the obsession with douching - all those pictures of husbands rushing out of the door, lip curled in disgust, because the poor wife hadn't doused herself in Lysol. Extraordinary example of creating a market for something utterly unnecessary out of thin air.

I think I read somewhere that the whole rhetoric about "germs" and "daintiness" was a pointer for the product's use as a contraceptive. I'll try and find the source for that.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just knew the wife being spanked for buying bad coffee would be in there somewhere.....

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lysol Used to be Advertised as a Feminine Hygiene Product and Birth Control

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Well, prudish old Miss Amanda has never seen a woman apply lipstick by puckering her lips and bending over an "erect" lipstick tube, although such a pose does suggest certain other things even to her.
Sometimes a ciagr is just a cigar.
(And a lipstick is just a lipstick) [Smile]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
I just knew the wife being spanked for buying bad coffee would be in there somewhere.....

Given the popularity of "50 Shades of Grey", it's a wonder that ad didn't increase sales of bad coffee!!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:

Ugh, I can't stand that ad. And also the shirt one that has a spanking pic at the top. It gets referenced all the time in the spanking enthusiast forums, which are unfortunately mostly over-run with misogynist old men who would love to turn back the clock to the good old days when it was socially acceptable to casually smack up one's wife. [Projectile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
good old days when it was socially acceptable to casually smack up one's wife.

This was reinforced only a few years ago by the judge in Adelaide whose judgement was that sometimes a bit of biff was necessary to make the wife realise that she really meant yes when she said no.

There was a big outcry over that.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. Just realised I had gone off on a very unheavenly tangent. One close to my heart.

Edit time had passed.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
good old days when it was socially acceptable to casually smack up one's wife.

This was reinforced only a few years ago by the judge in Adelaide whose judgement was that sometimes a bit of biff was necessary to make the wife realise that she really meant yes when she said no.

There was a big outcry over that.

And the outcry was wrong. The judge did not decide that, nor did he make the comments attributed to him. He was summarising to the jury the submissions made by counsel for the accused, as he was required to do. IIRC, the jury did not accept the submission and convicted the accused; the judge obviously did not think much of it either from the sentence he imposed.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fake or not, I have absolutely no idea how those ones count as "sexist". [Confused]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
And the outcry was wrong. The judge did not decide that, nor did he make the comments attributed to him. He was summarising to the jury the submissions made by counsel for the accused, as he was required to do. IIRC, the jury did not accept the submission and convicted the accused; the judge obviously did not think much of it either from the sentence he imposed.

OK. You would have better knowledge of sources etc. I am going on public outcry recollections and what I read in the papers. To get back on a more heavenly note, if it was published, it must be true! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most men ask "Is she pretty?" not "Is she clever?"
Well, that just makes me depressed. It's better than the coffee one though. And I don't have to worry about driving a husband away by not being perfect at all times (just as well [Big Grin] ).
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Fake or not, I have absolutely no idea how those ones count as "sexist". [Confused]
It's not sexist, but "politically incorrect", It's become akin to a baby with a cigarette or a beer in his hand.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not sexist, but "politically incorrect", It's become akin to a baby with a cigarette or a beer in his hand.

But they were in a collection called "101 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads"! They had no place in that collection!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

But they were in a collection called "101 Shockingly Sexist Vintage Ads"! They had no place in that collection!
Oh y'know. Women. Babies. They come as a set.

I suspect the journalist, attempting to hit the 101 before the deadline, wasn't being too particular.

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amusing but not nearly as amusing as this little collection .

Sexist adverts from an even more bygone era.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What will men wear when women wear garishly bright stripy trousers?

Err, I'll stick to my jeans thanks [Biased]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016