homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Make me feel young again, or the I Feel Old thread... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Make me feel young again, or the I Feel Old thread...
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
Pine Marten, born 1950.

The same year my father was born.

Sorry [Devil]

My (late) father and mother were born in 1923, the year 'Flying Scotsman' was built, and they both served in WW2; Dad in RAF Bomber Command, Mum as a WAAF at a Lincs. bomber station.

I was born in 1966 like Lamb Chopped.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
Some years back, when our office was putting up an exhibition to celebrate the anniversary of the Hit Parade, people were eagerly checking what was top of the charts when they were born. I eagerly checked, too, but was puzzled when I couldn't find it. Then it dawned on me - the Hit Parade started in 1952 ...

Pine Marten, born 1950.

The Hit Parade started long before 1952. I have CDs of the hits of each year. My collection starts with 1941; I don't know whether that's when it started.

In 1950 the songs were
  • Music, Music Music
  • Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)
  • I Wanna Be Loved
  • A Bushel and a Peck
  • My Foolish Heart
  • Play a Simple Melody
  • The Cry of the Wild Goose
  • All My Love
  • Sentimental Me
  • There's No Tomorrow
  • I'll Never Be Free
  • Harbor Lights
  • Hoop-Dee-Doo
  • I Can Dream, Can't I?
  • Mona Lisa
  • Nevertheless
  • Goodnight Irene
  • Bewitched
  • Rag Mop
  • Bonaparte's Retreat
  • La Vie en Rose
  • The Tennessee Waltz
  • Dear Hearts and Gentle People
  • It Isn't Fair

Moo

Sorry, Moo, you're right - I wasn't clear. We were celebrating the anniversary of the first official UK Singles Chart that was started by the NME in 1952. The first no. 1 was Al Martino's Here in my Heart, which was there for about 9 weeks, I believe. Hence I couldn't find a no. 1 for 1950.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm older now than my father-in-law was when he passed away at age 56. I don't feel old. But I'm finding in increasingly irritating to try to keep up with technology, and extremely irritated with the cost cell phones, internet & cable TV, esp. in relation to what you actually get for those exorbitant prices. So I'm becoming ever more curmudgeonly.

Then like (I think) PeteC said: all new teenagers this year were born AFTER 2000. [Eek!] And the fact that my oldest granddaughter turns 16 this spring, and if she follows in the footsteps of her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, I could be a great-grandfather before turning 60! And my mother-in-law, at a spry 76, could be a great-great grandmother before turning 80!

Where did the years go?

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to explain to my flatmates last year, that Michael Palin was not just that bloke who does travel programs. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now older than my mother was when she died [Waterworks] Mind, she was only 52 when cancer took her.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
I'm older now than my father-in-law was when he passed away at age 56. I don't feel old. But I'm finding in increasingly irritating to try to keep up with technology, and extremely irritated with the cost cell phones, internet & cable TV, esp. in relation to what you actually get for those exorbitant prices. So I'm becoming ever more curmudgeonly.

Then like (I think) PeteC said: all new teenagers this year were born AFTER 2000. [Eek!] And the fact that my oldest granddaughter turns 16 this spring, and if she follows in the footsteps of her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, I could be a great-grandfather before turning 60! And my mother-in-law, at a spry 76, could be a great-great grandmother before turning 80!

Where did the years go?

But you're not old! Your father-in-law died a young man, rest his soul.

My great-aunt passed away almost a year ago, the day after her 90th birthday. She had always wanted to make it to 90. Because she had her daughter at a very young age, she lived to see great-great grandkids!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
... when I heard Elvis was dead ... I was 15 ...

We must be about the same age (I turned 51 in February).

I had a few "old-making" moments last year: I turned 50, my mother died (the first of my parents or in-laws) and I became a great-aunt (although it must be said that my sister, the baby's grandmother, is 6½ years older than me).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As per XKCD, the one surefire way of making people feel old is to point out just how long ago something they remember from when they were young (probably about 12ish) really was. Another which always scares me is to work out what year people who have just started university were born in.

I knew I was starting to get old when I had to work out my age from the year, rather than just knowing it. I even know someone who "celebrated" (if that's the right word) her 40th birthday a year early by mistake.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
As per XKCD, the one surefire way of making people feel old is to point out just how long ago something they remember from when they were young (probably about 12ish) really was.

I was eleven when World War 2 ended. That was almost sixty-eight years ago.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I had a few "old-making" moments last year: I turned 50, my mother died (the first of my parents or in-laws) and I became a great-aunt (although it must be said that my sister, the baby's grandmother, is 6½ years older than me).

I've just realised my eldest great-nephew must be 16 now! But I was first an aunty at age 6 [Smile]
It was losing both my parents that made me feel old, I was 29 when Dad died, Mum died 10 years later.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I knew I was starting to get old when I had to work out my age from the year, rather than just knowing it. I even know someone who "celebrated" (if that's the right word) her 40th birthday a year early by mistake.

I have no idea of my age, I know the vague ball park figure, but not my actual age. I have to work it out from the year every time.

In denial, moi?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problem remembering my age this year. Because this year I get the OAP! [Yipee]

I actually never have trouble remembering my age because Wodders, as he is constantly reminding me, is 7 months younger than me.

Also I have a 20-minutes-older twin sister!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have to work it out from the year every time.

Half the time I have to do that as well, and I'm 'only' 34.

(it may not sound old to some of you, but it's the oldest I've ever been in my entire life!)

[ 05. March 2013, 13:45: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I have to work it out from the year every time.

Half the time I have to do that as well, and I'm 'only' 34.

(it may not sound old to some of you, but it's the oldest I've ever been in my entire life!)

[Big Grin]

I think the rot sets in some time in the twenties. You start off with every year, month and day being hugely significant, then by the time you're teenaged you know the only important thing is when you can legally do X, or Y, or possibly even Z if you're lucky enough. But once you've hit 21, what difference does it make? Who cares? There's no functional reason why you need to know.

(Of course, when you're really old, this works in reverse. A combination of last-in, first-out and a strange sense of pride means that doddery old ladies will instantly tell you their age loudly and at length, whether you ask or not. So if you have to work it out, I suppose that makes you middle aged. You're welcome.)

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, when you're really old, this works in reverse. A combination of last-in, first-out and a strange sense of pride means that doddery old ladies will instantly tell you their age loudly and at length, whether you ask or not.

Yes - my Grandma was very proud of her age and often would add a year or two [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our new Vicar starts next week. He's 9 years younger than me [Waterworks]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Liverpool manager is a year older than me. I have never had a manager who's younger than myself. I mean, when the King was our manager first time he was younger than I am now, but still, that's a milestone I haven't passed yet.

Saying that, it's looking more and more unlikely that I'll be discovered playing football in the local park and thrown into a game against the mancs where I come on and score a late winner i front of the Kop.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Are you going to call him 'Father'?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never feel old until I realize a TV channel I sometimes watch is filled with ads selling things like catheters, burial insurance and other old people things! Dang, they've grabbed my demographic.

Every see an old movie or TV show that was made, MADE not set, in the 80s? See the hair, the clothes, the furnishings, the phones, the pop culture references. My, how we've changed.

Was thinking I use words and phrases unknown to the younger set. Said "like having a nic fit." Thank God, most young people have no idea what that was.

I mentioned what I thought was a newish band, Hot Chelle Rae. The teenager said, "My grandfather likes them."

I do enjoy some contemporary music. Really. fun. Mumford. But I really like the old men: Green Day.

Love them all. And THEY are much younger than me, though they are old men to the younger set.

But then, what makes me feel young is working in an Episcopal Church, where I am sometimes thought of as the kid. In the past couple of weeks people have asked me, "What is Facebook?" and "You mean you trust putting your credit card number into a computer?" etc. I frequently hear, "I don't want to know what texting is!" And one a few days ago, "My kids want to get me a cellular telephone and I don't think I can learn how to use it!"

Kennedy: I remember Robert's and MLK assassinations. Me Mum running upstairs screaming "they killed King, they killed King!"

John Lennon: I had just come home from the Mass of the Immaculate Conception (was Episcopal but they weren't doing a thing on that day so I slummed it over to the Italian Mission and it was jam packed and thought, "I could do this") and switched on the TV and was stunned to hear John Lennon had been killed.

Diana: Watching Saturday Night Live when they interrupted the broadcast and said she was in critical condition. I thought it was a joke and kept saying, "this isn't funny."

Also, I have ancient electronic detritus all over the place, old routers, slide phones, cords and plugs for forgotten electronic items. Old junk, but still a decade younger than some of my clothes!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I have no problem remembering my age this year. Because this year I get the OAP! [Yipee]

I actually never have trouble remembering my age because Wodders, as he is constantly reminding me, is 7 months younger than me.

Also I have a 20-minutes-older twin sister!

Pah!

Children.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in John Lewis today, and they were selling Spacehoppers as "Retro toys."
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I am stuck with the name of "young Jengie" in my congregation for ever. There are plenty of other Jengie's (Its a common Scots first name in a certain generation) but all of them are over twenty years older than me.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A scary moment was passing the age my Mum was when she had me... (she was not particularly young at that time).

Also, I have some friends and acquaintances who are considerably younger than me, and it sometimes feels weird to discuss things that happened before they were born (since we all like Doctor Who, this does not happen as rarely as might be expected).

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I have to work it out from the year every time.

I have no problem as I was born in 1950, the middle of the century, so it's easy (even for a maths idiot like me) to work out.

So: 1) I vividly remember the TV newscaster intone solemnly 'Marilyn Monroe is dead', and my mum shouting 'Oh Gawd!' from the kitchen.

2) We were playing records on my parents' radiogram when JFK was shot, and didn't hear about it until later when we turned on to watch the news.

3) I remember hearing about Dr King on the morning news while getting ready to go to school.

4) I was having tea with the cats when I heard about John Lennon - I was on maternity leave, and the news came on the TV.

Some years ago my younger daughter fell about laughing when she realised I knew Nine Inch Nails (not personally) and Busta Rhymes. Can't think why she was surprised, her dad had been a drummer...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realised that I was getting old when Jimmy Connors won Wimbledon - and was younger than I was.

I got a Sinclair Cambridge pocket calculator as a 21st birthday present. It was an amazing device for size and practicality, even though it got confused if you tried to divide by zero.

One significant milestone I was pleased to make was to be older than my father was when he died - but he did smoke heavily and died far too young. I have also achieved one status that he never did - become a grandparent.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Shortly after I moved here, we got a new Dean who's less than a year older than me.

He took evil delight in announcing my 50th birthday to the congregation* and on my birthday this year he came up to me, gave me a hug and said, "you've caught up with me again".

* I produce the Cathedral weekly bulletin - revenge will be mine one day. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Rag Mop done by the late Allen Sherman: what a stupid song, but his version was almost entertaining.

First popular song I ever heard was The Witch Doctor (1959) which Nanny taught us when she was 17: I remember all of the lines but especially the refrain. Oo Ee, ah ah ah. Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang! [repeat with different notes]

We are once again in communication after several decades when she was married to a Scottish football player and lived on the west coast of England: Oh to be in Land's End again, particularly in Sennen Cove where I went surfing for the first time in the Atlantic! She has now returned to Northern Ireland, but not Portadown in the war-torn County Armagh!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:

I got a Sinclair Cambridge pocket calculator as a 21st birthday present. It was an amazing device for size and practicality, even though it got confused if you tried to divide by zero.

I got a Sinclair Scientific in 1975 (because it was cheap, but capable) that I joyfully lent to friends. They were soon back asking "Where's the equals sign?", because it used Reversed Polish Notation, and the natural (rather than base 10) logarithms baffled them too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still keep a couple of slide rules around, and to mess with the newly-hired folks, I even have one that works on my computer screen.

I've had older calculators, but my trusty HP-15C is still on the road - purchased 1986.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

Dang it, missed the edit window and didn't read very well, Sioni-

RPN forever! It saved my hide on many a thermodynamics test.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a Sinclair Cambridge pocket calculator too - loved it. Until then we'd been using tables of logarithms and doing calculations by hand.

I was particularly thrilled to discover that if you keyed in 07734 and turned the calculator upside down the display said hello. [Roll Eyes]

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than fifty years ago, computers were the size of a Buick (or Ford Transit) and Dad designed something for Burroughs called an information drum which was the size of a washing machine.

My wife's university used to have a gorgeous and massive Cray Supercomputer and then replaced it with a series of dreary interconnected microcomputers.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

I don't go back quite that far, but my first programming was in octal code on a Litton/Monroe programmable calculator - you had to punch out these "chads" to represent your instruction. When I started engineering school, the interface to the mainframe was either keypunch/card reader or, for some things, a teletype terminal.

I wasn't quite 14 when Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon. Back then, it was REALLY COOL! I had my 3 ft tall Saturn V model, and the larger scale command/service & lunar lander models so I could simulate every step of the way.

Then, a few years ago, I was flying up the Florida Coast on a clear day, when I looked 'way down there and saw the massive Vehicle Assembly Building, looking very small indeed from 35000 ft. Then I looked 'way up into the deep blue above and thought... [Eek!]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When kids you taught at high school reach 65 and retire...

On the other hand, people say they can't believe I'm 80.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, one of the sudents we have with our team at the moment was impressed when I, the oldest member of the team, described something as being "TMI".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A former rector at my church was surprised to learn that I knew what ROTFLMAO meant.

I've learned a lot on the ship.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearing about people in quite grown-up jobs- professors, government ministers, vicars- having GCSEs. (I don't think anyone got a proper education after O levels were abolished- although no doubt people said something similar after the School Cert., or whatever it was called, went out.)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
I don't go back quite that far, but my first programming was in octal code on a Litton/Monroe programmable calculator - you had to punch out these "chads" to represent your instruction. When I started engineering school, the interface to the mainframe was either keypunch/card reader or, for some things, a teletype terminal.

I wasn't quite 14 when Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon. Back then, it was REALLY COOL!

You are a year younger than me: my second-grade teacher, Mrs. Ruth Shepherd Hunstock was the aunt of the first American in space!

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I had a Sinclair Cambridge pocket calculator too - loved it. Until then we'd been using tables of logarithms and doing calculations by hand.

I was particularly thrilled to discover that if you keyed in 07734 and turned the calculator upside down the display said hello. [Roll Eyes]

heh heh heh

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whereas for precise field work where a slide rule wasn't accurate enough, we used a handheld mechanical Curta calculator along with a book of trig tables.

[Link warning: may be unsuitable for Engineers who have work to do.]

A problem with many of the early electronic Scientific calculators was short battery life, and the fact that, while my employer kept a close accounting on the calculators themselves, the battery chargers would go walkabout. At one point in the late 1970s they couldn't manage to provide a working calculator with functioning charger, so I dug one of the old Curtas out of the supply cabinet. The crew loved it, though it had picked up a bit of debris in the gears from being carried in the field over the years: we gave everybody a chance to run the calculations, and if a majority got the same answer we accepted it.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd forgotten about my very first calculator (which I gained to play with from my Dad.) It plugged in to the mains, it might have at some point been able to charge and not need the mains, but it might not!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Whereas for precise field work where a slide rule wasn't accurate enough, we used a handheld mechanical Curta calculator along with a book of trig tables.

Googled them and they are brilliant! But a grand or better for something my phone can beat?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I remember coming across some story at the time about a calculation that entered some long numbers that were to do with the Arab-Israeli war. The final result was 710.77345. The final instruction was to rotate the calculator 180 degrees to see what had been powering the Israeli tanks.

One advantage of growing old that I am starting to enjoy is concessions for age. Admissions to theatres and other places can be cheaper and prescriptions (in England, this is) are now free!

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

Googled them and they are brilliant! But a grand or better for something my phone can beat?
Remember that your telephone has far more computer power than was used to send the Apollo mission to the moon.

In fact most simple 4-function calculators from the Dollar / Pound / Euro store can run rings around the Curta, though you don't get to hear the gears turn as you turn the crank to add (and especially when subtracting!) But before electronic pocket calculators were available, surveyors had the choice of calculating traverses in the field on the Curta or doing it by hand.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
My father was born in 1899.

Moo

Mine was born in 1901 – you win.

But were we ever TEENAGERS? We didn't disappear from 12 to 20, but the Teenage Culture wasn't really under way, and Mum and I were immersed in classical music, so the names of pop performers don't ring many bells.

I've reached a kind of technological ceiling. I've used a computer for more than 30 years, and for a while had my own company demonstrating Atari computers in schools; I use an Apple Macbook every day for a number of functions, and sort the Grandad out if he gets into trouble with his Macbook. But I don't want to do most of what the younger ones do with their iPods etc; I don't want a phone that takes pictures; it takes great concentration to text my son, and there's nobody else to text among my age group.

Cheers!

GG

I did preview it – but I still missed an ambiguity.

[ 14. March 2013, 20:52: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
But were we ever TEENAGERS? We didn't disappear from 12 to 20, but the Teenage Culture wasn't really under way, and Mum and I were immersed in classical music, so the names of pop performers don't ring many bells.

There weren't enough of us to establish a separate culture. There was a baby bust in the 1930s. Moreover, World War 2 resulted in our interacting with adults far more than later generations. I have heard people talk about how the war broke down the barriers between social classes. People talk much less about the fact that it broke down the barriers between generations. We were all in it together.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I'd forgotten about my very first calculator (which I gained to play with from my Dad.) It plugged in to the mains, it might have at some point been able to charge and not need the mains, but it might not!

You could charge yours? Luxury!

Mine had small vacuum tubes with number shaped filaments. And it was large, and I do mean large. It had a larger footprint on the desk than a 1990's computer.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm doing a teaching degree and today we had student teachers "teaching" us for 10 minutes.

One young bloke (bout 20?) was doing a mini lecture on solids, gases and liquids.

One of the questions he posed was:

"What is matter made out of"?

This ex biological sciences buff (first degree 20 years ago) piped up:

"Atoms"

The kid looked at me blankly.

He turned to the class and said:

"I'm thinking of something starting with a P"

Apparently particles was the correct answer.

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it the answer 'stuff' wouldn't have passed either?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a retired minister doing pulpit supply, and his children's address was illustrated with a nappy pin. None of the children knew what it was, but one speculated that it was "some sort of carabiner." But the retired minister didn't know what a carabiner was. By the time nappy pins and carabiners had been explained satisfactorily to both sides, the point of the children's address had been totally lost.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016