homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » erroneous first impressions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: erroneous first impressions
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll admit it. when I first came to the Ship forums, Left at the Altar and Corpus Cani both had nun icons.

I thought they were both actual nuns.

for, like, months.

anyone else have mistaken assumptions they want to get off their chest? come on, confession is good for the soul.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first joined, I had the definite impression that §Andrew (later El Greco) was thoroughly big-O Orthodox, but that impression turned out to be somewhat suspect when he later renounced his belief in a personal God of any sort. [Biased]

Also, when I first joined, I assumed that it would be possible to carry on an extended, thoughtful discussion about reasons for being atheist vs. theist, with each side trying to understand the other's point of view. That assumption has also turned out to be somewhat suspect.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For reasons I can't explain, it's taken me rather a long time to work out that Ariston's a bloke. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Trisagion was an Archbishop at least.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
For reasons I can't explain, it's taken me rather a long time to work out that Ariston's a bloke. [Hot and Hormonal]

She is ?????!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
Also, when I first joined, I assumed that it would be possible to carry on an extended, thoughtful discussion about reasons for being atheist vs. theist, with each side trying to understand the other's point of view. That assumption has also turned out to be somewhat suspect.

[Killing me] Likewise for any point of significant disagreement between (or even within) denominations.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I thought this was a Christian website" [Biased]
(Flounce)

I thought Ariston was female too. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Presbyterian who grew up with the notion, I assumed I understood Predestination until I joined the Ship.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Sioni Sais was a catholic and chive a ministry student.

I still think they're lying when they tell me they aren't.

I also thought I knew it all.

[ 07. March 2013, 11:41: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

yeah, me too. boy was I wrong.

that revelation has been a bit rough at times. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I thought Sioni Sais was a catholic and chive a ministry student.

I still think they're lying when they tell me they aren't.

Close. I was baptised RC and AFAIK, Rome never lets go.

There used to be some out there who thought I was female. Mind you, I used to think my avatar depicted Lenin!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
There used to be some out there who thought I was female.

That's where it's helpful to be able to speak a little bit of Welsh!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would say that this is misleading. I think the majority (of regular posters, at least) would indeed be able. There are a few, very vocal, exceptions who make this more of a challenge. ETA: and they bring out a more vociferous response from the potentially more reasonable opposition.

[ 07. March 2013, 18:52: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On topic, I admit to having difficulty accepting female icons/names for male posters and the reverse.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hands up anyone who didn't think Mama Thomas was a woman...
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first impression of erroneous (*) was that she was a man (an anonymous man), but she turns out to be a woman.
(* erroneous monk)

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

I would say that this is misleading. I think the majority (of regular posters, at least) would indeed be able. There are a few, very vocal, exceptions who make this more of a challenge. ETA: and they bring out a more vociferous response from the potentially more reasonable opposition.
Yes, exactly. The effect seems to be that it makes extended, thoughtful discussions on the topic virtually impossible. But I appreciate the attempts that you and others make to contribute to the cause of thoughtful discussions.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mind you, I used to think my avatar depicted Lenin!

No - it's Tom Wright, isn't it? [Big Grin]

quote:
On topic, I admit to having difficulty accepting female icons/names for male posters and the reverse.

That's really interesting, and almost worth a Purg thread in its own right. (My next comment needs to be understood in the light of my understanding you to be female...) I thought that women were in general more comfortable with gender ambiguity than men are.

Angus (An unmistakeably gender-marked name [Biased] )

P.S. I could add something on-topic regarding my first impressions, later changed, about a shipmate, but my comment would probably be rather un-Heavenly.

[edit to re-phrase]

[ 07. March 2013, 19:58: Message edited by: A.Pilgrim ]

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I think he explained the meaning of "Mama" in his first post. But it still threw me for quite a while.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I think he explained the meaning of "Mama" in his first post.
I think I had already heard of Mama as a title.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mind you, I used to think my avatar depicted Lenin!

I initially thought it depicted Freud.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... female icons/names for male posters and the reverse.

Although my avatar's a man, I was quite surprised when someone referred to me as "he"; I sign off with my RL name, which I think is fairly unambiguously female.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
quote:

That's really interesting, and almost worth a Purg thread in its own right. (My next comment needs to be understood in the light of my understanding you to be female...) I thought that women were in general more comfortable with gender ambiguity than men are.
It has more to do with the visual cues. I have difficulty when people change avatars as well.
BTW, of all the adjectives applied to me, typical has never been one of them. [Biased]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to say this Piglet but I thought you were male to begin with.
When I've played mafia on here, I often pick a male character, people then seem to assume that I'm male IRL too.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still get pulled up short when people comment about their age - I suppose taking part in a discussion board always seems such a young thing to do.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought you were male for ages. Buddha.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:

I think Gwai thought I was a woman at one point as well, so that's four.

I'll take the compliments where I can get 'em.

Of course, now I'm wondering why everyone thought I was female—granted, "Ariston" (or AA) are only gendered names if you're not up on your semi-obscure ancient Greek names, so the non-classicists in the audience have a 50/50 shot of getting it right. Still, it seems I'm with lB on the list of most consistently regendered Shippies . . .

Of course, I always thought lilBuddha looked something like this...

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] The Squee! factor on that one!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as long as nobody actually thought that I have three [or four or, originally, five] heads!

I got enormously confused about gender when I was first here and was another one convinced LATA was a nun - but then Glenda Jackson's Nasty Habits is a favourite movie.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:

I think Gwai thought I was a woman at one point as well, so that's four.

I'll take the compliments where I can get 'em.

[aside] I was actually joking. Ariston I always had labelled as male, my biggest confusion - along with several other people - was Kingsfold who actually turned out to be female, not male.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add me to the list Ariston, I had you as female until three minutes ago!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still a fairly common mistake...

I don't mind. It probably didn't help that I was Cadfael for a brief while...

(And yes, we do have another shipmate by that name who is male, but since it wasn't the name either of us registed by, it didn't register as a "taken" name once I reverted to kingsfold.)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, now I'm wondering why everyone thought I was female—granted, "Ariston" (or AA) are only gendered names if you're not up on your semi-obscure ancient Greek names, so the non-classicists in the audience have a 50/50 shot of getting it right.

Well, that's my claim to erudition put firmly in its place. I thought you were a washing machine. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:

[Big Grin] [Overused] Snap!

(@ orfeo: The buddhahood of women is finally revealed in the Lotus Sutra, btw. Sorry if that constitutes a spoiler to anyone who hasn't got to that chapter yet [Biased] )

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I first joined, I had the definite impression that §Andrew (later El Greco) was thoroughly big-O Orthodox

So, I think, did he.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
(@ orfeo: The buddhahood of women is finally revealed in the Lotus Sutra, btw. Sorry if that constitutes a spoiler to anyone who hasn't got to that chapter yet [Biased] )

[Killing me] Put that in your myriads of kotis and smoke it. [Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's okay. Fortunately I finished reading the Lotus Sutra last year. But just don't tell anybody the surprise ending!!!!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made a long post to Anselmina , convinced in my head that she was from across the Pond . That pond turned out to be the Irish Sea .

The reason being that I had previously clocked 'The Munster Wilderness' as her location and had thought it was one of those silly ones which referred to the American TV show 'The Munsters'.

Doh ! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nearly ten years here and my impression that everyone looks like their avatar is still going strong.

It can get very confusing sometimes.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
< Wanders casually in front of Adeodatus' mind's eye >

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Nearly ten years here and my impression that everyone looks like their avatar is still going strong.

It can get very confusing sometimes.

Speaking personally, that's kind of disturbing.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

my avatar is a photograph of me.

no, really. [Biased]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you really think I look like a mountain?

Granted I have a weight problem, but it's not that bad.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

You're ... scenic.

comet's avatar is obviously a photo, just like mine is.

John Holding scares me a bit - what nameless horror is hiding behind that mug?

And Doublethink ... hm ... don't take this the wrong way, but the expression "mind bleach" comes to mind. I'm a delicate soul.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Trisagion is really Q from Star Trek The Next Generation? And I definitely look just like my avatar [Biased] .
Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embarrassing mistake made at work, not on the ship. A young physiotherapist who has very short hair and is skinny with no female curves can easily pass for a male. The trouble is, I encountered her for the first time in the ladies' toilets and I'm afraid firmly pointed out to her that this was a female establishment and that the gents was next door. I still cringe with embarrassment whenever I see her.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Embarrassing mistake made at work, not on the ship. A young physiotherapist who has very short hair and is skinny with no female curves can easily pass for a male. The trouble is, I encountered her for the first time in the ladies' toilets and I'm afraid firmly pointed out to her that this was a female establishment and that the gents was next door. I still cringe with embarrassment whenever I see her.

That's on a par with asking "when are you due?" to someone who is not pregnant at all.

I'm much holier than my avatar shows. [Biased]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

That's okay. Fortunately I finished reading the Lotus Sutra last year. But just don't tell anybody the surprise ending!!!!
As a Bodhisattva of the Earth, I'm afraid I'm mission-bound to do just that! [Biased]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My avatars have consisted of a black hole, a ship of fools logo and a flaming lyre.

Whatever Adeodatus thinks I look like, it can't be good.

PS Okay, the black hole was probably, technically, speaking, an eclipsed sun. I'm not sure that helps.

[ 12. March 2013, 01:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

[serious moment]
in my mind you don't actually look like a mountain, obviously. but you DO bring to mind calm, soothing, cool-headedness from getting away from chaos and embracing the simple truth; which to me is perfectly expressed in the shades of green and blue and the soft mist.

so yes - in my mental landscape, your avatar is perfect for you.
[/serious moment]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by bib:

hey, I once seriously mistook someone for a dog. no shit. I feel your pain.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016