homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » erroneous first impressions (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: erroneous first impressions
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Holy shit, comet, so did I!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
... I thought you were a washing machine ...

Me too - have you any idea how much better that makes me feel? [Killing me]

I, too, thought Kingsfold was a bloke until I got a PM from her - and I don't even have the excuse of remembering her as Cadfael. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 12. March 2013, 03:18: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Holy shit, comet, so did I!

the Twins Neurotica...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not saying you two need help or anything, cough, intervention, cough but clean out your PM box for numbers of organisations and people who can reduce the chances of this occurring again.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hey, mine was legit! his wallet chain sounded exactly like a clanky dog collar. and the boy NEVER bathed. I have no idea why he was on the floor, though...

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Nearly ten years here and my impression that everyone looks like their avatar is still going strong.

It can get very confusing sometimes.

Well, yes - particularly when certain people change theirs. I won't be reminded of you at any future performances of 'Sunday in the Park with George' as I was a few years ago!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nearly ten years here and my impression that everyone looks like their avatar is still going strong.

Yes, I have that too. And for ages I thought TonyK's avatar showed a man holding up over-large trousers. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
hey, mine was legit! his wallet chain sounded exactly like a clanky dog collar. and the boy NEVER bathed. I have no idea why he was on the floor, though...

Alaska: Where men are men, but behave like dogs.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually do look fairly like my - obviously male - avatar, which is why I find Piglet's so confusing. (Though as she says she does sign off with her RL name, which helps). But I'm still puzzled by Mousethief and Cliffdweller, who (after some years of thinking the other way, I now think of as female.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:

Yes, I have that too. And for ages I thought TonyK's avatar showed a man holding up over-large trousers. [Hot and Hormonal]
[Killing me]
But I get the picturing people as being like their avatars thing, I'm glad piglet has her name in her sig or I'd be very confused.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I always read your name as Heavenly Arachnid.

erk!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say about my avatar is that I won't be drinking absinthe again.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
And I always read your name as Heavenly Arachnid.

erk!

Generally I leave the spiders to my sons but I admit the last tarantula I met was very beautiful.
But my name does match my avatar.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
I actually do look fairly like my - obviously male - avatar.

Me too, obviously.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll admit it. when I first came to the Ship forums, Left at the Altar and Corpus Cani both had nun icons.

I thought they were both actual nuns.

for, like, months.

[Big Grin]

I am rather nun-like. As is Corpus. Gosh, I miss her.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's more than a little disingenuous LATA. Do you mean you miss the nun avatar or you miss Corpus?
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You mean it doesn't? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I am not saying you two need help or anything, cough, intervention, cough but clean out your PM box for numbers of organisations and people who can reduce the chances of this occurring again.

In my case, since you very well know my neurosis is incurable, this is sweet of you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I selected my avatar thinking it was a good likeness .
Mrs R put a pin to that particular bubble when I mentioned it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... And for ages I thought TonyK's avatar showed a man holding up over-large trousers. [Hot and Hormonal]

But ... what is it then?

And it took me till about a year ago to figure out Eutychus's avatar. For a moment it almost made me think I should read the Acts of the Apostles more often.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
... And for ages I thought TonyK's avatar showed a man holding up over-large trousers. [Hot and Hormonal]

But ... what is it then?

Yeah, what is it, the- Oh! it's some schmuck standing in a pulpit!

[Exact transcript of what just went through my head.]

[ 12. March 2013, 22:31: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

But ... what is it then?

Yeah, what is it, the- Oh! it's some schmuck standing in a pulpit!

Up until you said that I saw the headmaster flexing a cane a la Jimmy Edwards in Whacko
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Chive and Amos were both blokes and that Firenze looks exactly like Marilyn Monroe.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I made a long post to Anselmina , convinced in my head that she was from across the Pond . That pond turned out to be the Irish Sea .

The reason being that I had previously clocked 'The Munster Wilderness' as her location and had thought it was one of those silly ones which referred to the American TV show 'The Munsters'.

Doh ! [Hot and Hormonal]

I originally thought Munster referred to Munster, Germany, and as there's an army base there, I thought Anselmina was an Army Chaplain for quite a while.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
and that Firenze looks exactly like Marilyn Monroe.

Nothing erroneous about that. That's a real photo of actual me. (And diamonds are a girl's best friend).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adeodatus, are you really a robotic chimp?
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

repeat;
print "ADEODATUS WANT BANANA";
until (gotbanana:=TRUE);

(or something like that. And I get TonyK's avatar now!)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
quote:

repeat;
print "ADEODATUS WANT BANANA";
until (gotbanana:=TRUE);

[Big Grin] I thought so.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first arrived on the Ship, I thought it was a website for a group of friends from Swansea University. Well, there was a rather strong Welsh influence back in those days.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that Doormouse's avatar is a sketch of a mouse, but I always see a bald man in profile!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm worried by the amount of people who apparently think I look like a planet.

I may not exercise as much as I did in my youth, but I'm not that fat!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no. You are The Man in Mars. You can just see your face in the shape of the shadowy bits. no, tilt your head and squint.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I may not exercise as much as I did in my youth, but I'm not that fat!

No, that would be ridiculous. You look like a little short guy with a green helmet and a fondness for disintegrator rays.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I assumed it was the stump of a severed limb until I thought more deeply about how it may relate to your name.

[ 15. March 2013, 18:54: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

actual photo of Marvin

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
actual photo of Marvin

I had wondered what happened to my favorite scrub brush.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know that Doormouse's avatar is a sketch of a mouse, but I always see a bald man in profile!

Looking a bit like one of the Moomins?

Chive's avatar still looks like a conch shell to me, even though I know what it's supposed to be.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] Hedgehog is male! [Eek!]
I had to read the post on the singles thread three times for the message to sink in completely.
Good grief!
Not that it's a bad thing, I hasten to add - just so totally unexpected.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oooh Fame at last! Mentioned on a thread!!

I think (tho I'm not sure) it was Marvin who suggested the image as an avatar. I like its bald simplicity

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

I think (tho I'm not sure) it was Marvin who suggested the image as an avatar. I like its bald simplicity

[Smile] [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a big Bob Dylan fan I always read Zappa's post's with interest, even though I *know* he isn't really Bob in disguise.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Shhhh! You know, I know, but I am not so sure he knows.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Being a big Bob Dylan fan I always read Zappa's post's with interest, even though I *know* he isn't really Bob in disguise.

I used to always picture him as Bob Dylan, even though I knew I was making that up.

Note to the multitudes: he is WAY cuter than Bob Dylan. Miles cuter.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Without at all doubting the radiant beauty of our Zappa, that is not a very high bar to set.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fair point, but still, he's really cute.

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Originally posted by ariel:
Chive's avatar still looks like a conch shell to me, even though I know what it's supposed to be.

Whereas I keep telling myself it's a conch shell even though I always think it's something else, and haven't the nerve to ask what it actually is.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

It's a leg and knee - what else could it be for the Ship's Nude?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
quote:

Originally posted by ariel:

Whereas I keep telling myself it's a conch shell even though I always think it's something else, and haven't the nerve to ask what it actually is.
Are y'all Georgia O'Keefe fans? Just wondering.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought chive's avatar was a chive, folded over. What am I missing?
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

S/he is nekkid! A bare leg, its all very naughty.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016