homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trafalgar Square Passion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trafalgar Square Passion
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody else go to this yesterday? It was cold, cold, cold, but lovely. The actor playing Jesus, James Burke-Dunsmore, was amazing. There was a very good review in the Independant here Sitting on the cold ground was very uncomfortable, I think next time I will stand. At the end the Bishop of Westminster led us all (around 5,000) in The Lord's Prayer. Amazing feeling of witness and fellowship. Just really interested in anyone else's view, or whether there were other outdoor Passions that people went to.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this featured in the papers earlier. I can't find the link I was looking at earlier, but here's one from the Daily Mail with some great photos. It looks amazing. Glad it got a good turnout, they clearly put a lot into it.

[ 30. March 2013, 20:09: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wintershall have been doing this for some years now. They do the same thing in Guildford on the Saturday after Good Friday - I came across it quite by chance a few years ago and deliberately went to see it for the last couple of years (I was with family yesterday so couldn't go). It is amazing and powerfully emotional.

They also do the Life of Christ and the Nativity at the Wintershall Estate at certain times - one day I'll go to one of those.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Life of Christ is well worth seeing. I would warn you though that you need to be well prepared for the weather and sitting on the ground for hours. There is very little shelter and very little in terms of facilities.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago we went to the Winchester Passion - it was amazing, the streets flocked with people as the action made its way down from Oram's Arbour, through the Law Courts, to the Cathedral Green.

One of my 'deathbed memories' is going to be the whole crowd, thousands of us, singing 'Jesus remember me, when you come into your kingdom' at the Crucifixion scene, which took place up above the main door into the Cathedral.

Another year we went to the Southampton Passion, but that failed to move me in the same way and I really can't tell you why.

Mrs. S, still getting the goosebumps

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Some years ago we went to the Winchester Passion - it was amazing, the streets flocked with people as the action made its way down from Oram's Arbour, through the Law Courts, to the Cathedral Green.

One of my 'deathbed memories' is going to be the whole crowd, thousands of us, singing 'Jesus remember me, when you come into your kingdom' at the Crucifixion scene, which took place up above the main door into the Cathedral.

Another year we went to the Southampton Passion, but that failed to move me in the same way and I really can't tell you why.

Mrs. S, still getting the goosebumps

Unfortunately whenever I hear the words Winchester & Cathedral I then get stuck with this for hours.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016