homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » April Fool's pranks spotting

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: April Fool's pranks spotting
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC Radio 4's Today Programme has just run a story about train companies who are now putting bar codes on their locos: with a new specially designed smartphone app train spotters can now get all the information on that engine they want. They can also help train companies by spotting speeding trains with the app, which then automatcially uploads onto Facebook and Twitter. [Killing me]

In some local rag I noticed that apparently the new Pope is coming to town to visit an old friend, and that they're doing an 8am mass this morning. [Smile]

What did you spot, fellow Shippians?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the item in question:

quote:

0844 - Could trainspotting provide the key to the future of the rail network? The BBC's Nicola Stanbridge discovers that numbers on the side of trains, traditionally noted down by enthusiasts, are being replaced by bar-codes which spotters can more simply photograph on their smart phones and upload online.

A lovingly crafted report, with several people being 'interviewed', and pros and cons. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking it might be a good day to finally start blogging. Not sure I'll get around to it, though.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Guardian is in fine form.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like this mode of transport.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This page fooled me - I posted it on the White Smoke thread. [Help]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Here's the item in question:

quote:

0844 - Could trainspotting provide the key to the future of the rail network? The BBC's Nicola Stanbridge discovers that numbers on the side of trains, traditionally noted down by enthusiasts, are being replaced by bar-codes which spotters can more simply photograph on their smart phones and upload online.

A lovingly crafted report, with several people being 'interviewed', and pros and cons. [Smile]
Audio available here. Sweet. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one was my favourite. One for the sarf Londoners [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually got fooled by this at first, and was rather excited to buy it. (for the children of course)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f487/

[ 01. April 2013, 12:47: Message edited by: nomadicgrl ]

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
iwantoneofthose.com has sent out advertising mail, offering free invisible gift with every order today only ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this on the BBC web-site this morning and was convinced it was an April Fool, but apparently it is not. (The final sentence wasn't in place earlier. I suppose too many people thought like I did [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone went to a lot of trouble for this one, unless it is real [Eek!]
Only in Canada you say....

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like the Red Bull F1 issues can finally be laid to rest.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A plane with a glass floor actually sounds a good idea!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe no one has posted Google's annual prank yet. They may have others, as well, but I thought this was pretty funny.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A ministerial colleague told me that Giles Fraser is top be the nexy Bishop of Durham.

Great, I texted back. He is well qualified as an academic priest.

Hang on, i later thought. they always an ounce bishops on Tuesdays.

Google helped me find the source:
here.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:
I read this on the BBC web-site this morning and was convinced it was an April Fool, but apparently it is not. (The final sentence wasn't in place earlier. I suppose too many people thought like I did [Roll Eyes] )

The BBC have now rounded up some more too-good-to-be-true-but-true-anyway stories.

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a few more that you may not have spotted, courtesy of the Telegraph.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Hang on, i later thought. they always an ounce bishops on Tuesdays.

Sounds like some of their candidates may be a bit lightweight.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
I can't believe no one has posted Google's annual prank yet. They may have others, as well, but I thought this was pretty funny.

You may want to check on the new feature of Google Maps. Arrrrr.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link there.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

This one is brilliant! My only quibble would be that Pam Anderson should not be the first image. Makes the joke too obvious.

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:

You may want to check on the new feature of Google Maps. Arrrrr.
The main page joke was too obvious. Love the map link, though I believe they have done this before.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, with the CofE one can never be sure quite what is an April Fool story and what, apparently isn't.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My alma mater has transformed itself into "Meowberlin". I know we have a couple more Obies on board- hope you guys have enjoyed this too.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one by commander Chris Hadfield at the International Space Station.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one sounds like it should have been an April Fool - the Lake District is moving to Croydon. [Devil]

Sadly, the report that St. John's College Choir, Cambridge, will be accepting Female Tenors and Basses - which mysteriously appeared on April 1st, although dated to several days previously - has now equally mysteriously disappeared, so I can't link to it. But you get the picture.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. said the other day (I can't even remember if it was on Monday or not) that he'd seen something on t'interweb about King's and St. John's college choirs in Cambridge admitting female tenors and basses ...

It wasn't until today that I thought, I suppose that must have been an April fool.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
However, there is some suggestion that Vivaldi's choir at the Pieta did have female tenors and basses - I remember seeing a BBC programme on this a year or two ago But some musicologists such as Andrew Parrott (Taverner Ensemble) argue that the parts were transposed up an octave.

But this is getting too serious - we want the Grauniad to bring back San Serriffe!

[ 05. April 2013, 08:51: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NPR (murikan) interviewed a man in charge of the new retirement pool complex built for retired military dolphins. They had been trained to plant mines, and do other undersea nasty jobs.

The guy was most excited about decoding dolphin language, in hopes of finding out what they talk to each other about: "well, where do you want to eat tonight?"

The line at the end of the interview clinched it, in case anyone was still thinking it was serious: "Also, funding is being sought for a suitable site for Rescue Bunnies, veterans of the Korean War."

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fell for The Malta Times story about bringing back the old buses and getting rid of Arriva with it's bendy buses. Always been a hater of bendy buses and know there's a lot of opposition in Malta so publicly welcomed this idea.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
St. John's College Choir, Cambridge, will be accepting Female Tenors and Basses

Not necessarily an April Fool - i know a female who sings tenor.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I. But not bass.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am one dozy piglet.

I've only just now read Chorister's post, which was written several hours before mine ...

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

I've been known to sing tenor when necessary, but not bass.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not rule out females singing bass. The only time anyone tested my range, it not only went into bass but went lower than a decent bass. I am not sure I can still reach there, as a female I do not get much opportunity to try. When I am in a choir I have usually sung the lowest Alto part but even that is decades ago now and I know my voice is different.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
I fell for The Malta Times story about bringing back the old buses and getting rid of Arriva with it's bendy buses. Always been a hater of bendy buses and know there's a lot of opposition in Malta so publicly welcomed this idea.
[Hot and Hormonal]

The old Malta buses were the original bendy buses! They had built in flexibility like modern manufacturers can only dream of. OK the chassis may have been rigid but everything else was variable, especially the maximum capacity.

It's been a while since I was there but unless the routes and roads have changed out of all recognition the bendy-buses aren't going to last long.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016