homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Random Liturgical Questions (answers on a postcard, please) (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Random Liturgical Questions (answers on a postcard, please)
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After 27 years living with Jews including 3 children going through kindergarten each doing the Hannukka Play at least twice (they sing and act it all out with elephants and a tiny child finding the unbroken flask of oil)...
I can assure you Jesus would not have celebrated Hannukka; neither as a child nor as an adult.
Even in the past it was not a major festival in either Israel or the Diaspora.
Since the "establishment" of "The State of Israel" the "military victory" of the Maccabean freedom fighters is the focus of it.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Bostonman and others:

Please keep the discussions civil. As the Commandments have it: 'Don't offend; don't be easily offended'.

Your cooperation is as ever appreciated!

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

Sorry! Was not meaning to offend. I apologize.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Two posters above (at least) mention Jesus having celebrated Hannukah. What have I missed in Scripture? Is it called something else?

I'm pretty sure there are no dreidls or latkes anywhere therein.

John 10:22 Feast of Dedication = Hanukkah
Wasn't that all about bowls of water in those days?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I think the water might have been part of Tabernacles, hence this .

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By Jesus celebrating Hanukkah, I don't think he celebrated *modern* Hanukkah with dreidls and fried food and what-not, but surely Hanukkah existed then in some form if it's actually in John? Having said that, I don't see the point of Christians celebrating it as it's not a major Jewish festival or one we can learn from (and it doesn't help us to evangelise to Jews). Seders have an obvious connection to Easter, Hanukkah and Christmas not so much. Modern Judaism is so different from Jesus' Judaism anyway (although let's not totally remove Jesus' Jewish heritage from Christianity).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

I think the water might have been part of Tabernacles, hence this .
Oh yes - I wondered about that after I'd posted.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
I don't see the point of Christians celebrating it as it's not a major Jewish festival or one we can learn from (and it doesn't help us to evangelise to Jews).

We could learn a lot about martyrdom and resistance to despotic goernments.

Why would we want to evangelise Jews? They have their own covenant.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely the Christian equivalent of the festival of the Dedication of the Temple, is the Dedication Festival of your own church?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In some quarters of Protestantism, infant baptism is held to be wrong (they go for believers' baptism). They do, however, dedicate babies (taking a page from the prophet Samuel's mother). St. Paul wrote that our bodies are a temple. So then the "Dedication of the Temple" should be the day when our babies are dedicated.

I'll get my coat....

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
In some quarters of Protestantism, infant baptism is held to be wrong (they go for believers' baptism). They do, however, dedicate babies (taking a page from the prophet Samuel's mother). St. Paul wrote that our bodies are a temple. So then the "Dedication of the Temple" should be the day when our babies are dedicated.

I'll get my coat....

That's quite interesting. To me, it says something about the (innate is a tricky word, but "innate") human need to have ceremonies marking certain transitions. We fill the spaces up even if particular ceremonies get shifted around.

Something like...
Dedication <=> Infant baptism <=> Circumcision
Adult baptism <=> Confirmation <=> Bar/bat mitzvah (?)

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, I didn't expect my comment about Hanukkah to generate so much discussion! For the record, I don't think we should be aping modern Jewish Hanukkah traditions which are almost all post-second Temple. I do, however, believe the miracle happened and that God should be praised for it. The question is, when (given it never occurs in the lectionary)?

I'm intrigued by the idea of mentioning it at a baptism (dedication of our bodies which are Temples) or at the feast of Dedication of our Church (which I have to admit Anglicans often do a better job marking than Catholics.) Certainly, the focus this Sunday should be on the Second Sunday of Advent. (Or rather, on the saving work of Christ in our lives, as focused through the Second Sunday of Advent). But, can't we spare one intention of our Prayers of the Faithful? As leo says, there are fitting themes for actualization today, such as behavior under persecution.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the very least, this sir hallel could be included in our private devotions!

[ 06. December 2012, 14:34: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
I don't see the point of Christians celebrating it as it's not a major Jewish festival or one we can learn from (and it doesn't help us to evangelise to Jews).

We could learn a lot about martyrdom and resistance to despotic goernments.

Why would we want to evangelise Jews? They have their own covenant.

For the same reason we should want to evangelise all who are not believers in Christ?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Well, the so-called 'good news' of Christianity is very bad news for Jews. It has led to pogroms and mass slaughter.

Current Jews reckon that attempts to convert them to Christianity has wiped out more Jews than Hitler did.

As for their not 'believing in Christ', why should they. Jesus did not fulfil the messianic prophecies of the Tanak.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangent city here, which is quite an achievement for a random questions thread!

Christian-Jewish relations in general, including the holocaust and historic anti-semitism belong in Purgatory.

Whether and how Christians should celebrate Hanukah could be its own thread here in Ecclesiantics.

Given those directions, can we please return this thread to its proper use?

Much obliged.

seasick, Eccles host

[ 07. December 2012, 11:50: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopefully obliging, a probably v simple question:

My vicar was asking the name of a vestment she saw, like a hooded cloak with a "Venetian blind" effect down the back.

Any thoughts from knowledgeable shipmates?

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ButchCassidy:
Hopefully obliging, a probably v simple question:

My vicar was asking the name of a vestment she saw, like a hooded cloak with a "Venetian blind" effect down the back.

Any thoughts from knowledgeable shipmates?

I checked Wippells but didn't see anything that clearly fit the description. There are cloaks but no photos of the back. Wonder if it was a cope?

I imagine the "Venetian blind" effect as horizontal pleats of some sort. Perhaps it was vertical pleats, in which case I'm thinking a monastic cowl or cuculla.

[ 08. December 2012, 23:46: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where and when did she see it?
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what colour was it?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm afraid I don't know a lot - she was shown it by a curate who described it as 'ecclesiastical fancy dress' (tho our shack is lib cath itself so must be fairly quirky). Think it was black, with a hood, and she gestured it with the bands going horizontally down the back, literally like a Venetian blind.
Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I imagine what is being described is a ferraiolo.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

wiki article

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Triple T - in the last of the pics you posted - the person holding the end of The bishop's train has a cord hanging down his back, attached it seems from his sleeve: what in the name of whatever is that and what is it for?

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't that one of the new lifesize RC Action Man dolls- the deluxe model? Eagle eyes, gripping hands, and when you pull the string hanging out of his back he says three Hail Marys. I want one for Christmas.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I want one. Though perhaps not in Darwin. I do have a cappa nigra that I wear occasionally - but again not in Darwin.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Triple T - in the last of the pics you posted - the person holding the end of The bishop's train has a cord hanging down his back, attached it seems from his sleeve: what in the name of whatever is that and what is it for?

It's the loop that prevents the fascia from slipping off, as any fule kno [Biased]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup, as Trisagion says. I haven't been able to find any pictures that show it clearly with a fascia (or band cincture) in place. But if you look carefully at some pictures of bishops in their cassocks you will see the string loops. Not sure what an attendant was doing wearing such a cassock though.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Isn't that one of the new lifesize RC Action Man dolls- the deluxe model? Eagle eyes, gripping hands, and when you pull the string hanging out of his back he says three Hail Marys. I want one for Christmas.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Not sure what an attendant was doing wearing such a cassock though.

Yes, that is what sparked my question - fair enough for senior prelates, but why did he have one?

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Me too! [Devil]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Yes, that is what sparked my question - fair enough for senior prelates, but why did he have one?
Maybe he was cold?

I shouldn't jest - when I went to my former parish in NZ there was a full set of vestments. I was told they were for use in the winter.

The problem where I am now is it's too hot to wear clothes, let alone vestments!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in Canberra one Ash Wednesday, with the midnight temp well over the 30 mark. The priest at the evening eucharist I attended apologised for not wearing a chasuble, on the basis that the Lenten purple one was just too hot.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Harold Darke's setting of "In the bleak mid-winter", beautiful and much sung now-abouts, is dedicated "To M.A.C."
Who he/she?

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post 
Margaret Agnes Calkin - a friend of the compsoer, identified in the Winter 2010 edition of The Bell - published by Stainer and Bell
Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Very many thanks, AAC.

I get S&B's The Bell and should've remembered. [Frown]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Hoping this is an appropriate place to ask - any Catholics or Anglo-Catholics here have personal shrines/devotional areas in their home or even office, or have links to good examples of them? Preferably to Our Lady but interested in seeing examples of personal shrines to other saints too.

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Because the cassocks of those attending senior prelates are, in origin and theory, the livery of those prelates. Therefore, it is entirely correct that he should be dressed as he is. Whether it is considered "over the top" these days is quite another matter and the answer depends to large extent on one's attitude to tat.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hoping this is an appropriate place to ask - any Catholics or Anglo-Catholics here have personal shrines/devotional areas in their home or even office, or have links to good examples of them? Preferably to Our Lady but interested in seeing examples of personal shrines to other saints too.

Here's ours, in an oldish photo...there's a bit more on the wall now, and the books are more neatly arranged, but this gives an idea. It's an old butcher-block table that used to be used as a sideboard-slash-wine-rack.

There's a link near the photo for a gallery of other Christian home altars.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

Here's ours, in an oldish photo...there's a bit more on the wall now, and the books are more neatly arranged, but this gives an idea. It's an old butcher-block table that used to be used as a sideboard-slash-wine-rack.

There's a link near the photo for a gallery of other Christian home altars.

Excellent, many thanks! I love your idea of using something you can store Bibles/other Christian books in.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

I've got a Buddha in mine.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone recommend a vestment maker who makes reasonably prided high mass sets, or at least dalmatics / tunicles.

Nothing ornate needed.

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure where Melanudrigill is, but Stateside Davis D'Ambly is good when Watts is not affordable.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry should have said I am in the UK.

I understand there may be some suppliers from Eastern Europe or Asia who do simple high mass sets.

Anyone know, please?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Sorry should have said I am in the UK.

I understand there may be some suppliers from Eastern Europe or Asia who do simple high mass sets.

Anyone know, please?

Rather surprisingly have a look on ebay... I have seen some very cheap vestments advertised by a maker in Poland (I have never seen these vestments up close though so have no idea about quality etc. - but the patterns used are fairly simple but effective.)- I believe I've come across a company in India which also advertises on Ebay... I can't remember the company name, but let me have a look and I'll post abck if I find anything.

[ 19. December 2012, 12:18: Message edited by: Sergius-Melli ]

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We obtained a very nice white High Mass set (chasuble, dalmatic, tunicle, stoles and maniples) for around £500 from:

http://www.catholicliturgicals.com

This may, of course, be the Indian company Sergius-Melli is thinking of. We are currently enquiring about a red High Mass set, but our churchwarden hasn't had a reply yet to his e-mail - they might be on holiday.......(and if you phone them, they're 5.5 hours ahead of GMT, I am told).

eBay is also worth exploring - we have a couple of Polish-made chasubles - though the Indian firm seems to be the only one offering low-priced dalmatics etc.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
We obtained a very nice white High Mass set (chasuble, dalmatic, tunicle, stoles and maniples) for around £500 from:

http://www.catholicliturgicals.com

This may, of course, be the Indian company Sergius-Melli is thinking of. We are currently enquiring about a red High Mass set, but our churchwarden hasn't had a reply yet to his e-mail - they might be on holiday.......(and if you phone them, they're 5.5 hours ahead of GMT, I am told).

eBay is also worth exploring - we have a couple of Polish-made chasubles - though the Indian firm seems to be the only one offering low-priced dalmatics etc.

Ian J.

Yep, that's the one!
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Thanks. I can't see high mass sets though Bishops Finger.

They don't have tunicles. Did they make them special for you?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a low mass set (including maniple) for mum's priesting from Luzar Vestments and they also do High Mass sets. Based near Oxford. I couldn't remember the name of the company, but near Oxford stuck and googling Vestments Oxford brought success.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Percy B - their range may have changed (we bought our set in 2011), but IIRC we did indeed have the tunicle made to order (at very little extra cost).

Or, to put it another way, you can ask them to provide chasuble, priest's stole, dalmatic, deacon's stole, tunicle (which can match the dalmatic), and 3 maniples. I think that's what our churchwarden did when he contacted the company.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Elsewhere there is a thread touching on various candles found in church. This prompts me wonder on the significance of candles regarding Churchmanship: Why do 'high' churches have a whole battery of candles on the alter while 'MOTR' churches have just 2? Plus, why the differences of advent wreath candles, purple/pink/white vs red/white or any other variations?
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SyNoddy:
Why do 'high' churches have a whole battery of candles on the alter while 'MOTR' churches have just 2?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If they are 'high' in the sense of wanting to outdo the Rome of 50 years ago their altars will look like Santa's grotto; if they are 'high' in the sense of Anglican sobriety ą la Archbishop Laud or Percy Dearmer, they will have two tasteful candlesticks; if they are 'high' in the sense of following the minimalist taste of Vatican 2 they will have one or two stubby candles placed asymmetrically (and possibly balanced by a pot plant at the other end of the altar). MOTR meanwhile will just go for what looks nice or maybe not even notice whether there are any candles there or not.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016