homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Taking the Biscuit - The annual Corpus Christi thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Taking the Biscuit - The annual Corpus Christi thread
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are folk doing on Thursday and/or Sunday this year?

Our regular weekday morning Lady Chapel Eucharist is on Thursdays, which is handy at this time of year. The Sacristan will prepare a white chasuble, and a processional banner from better times will be set by the altar. How much of that preparation remains once the Sacristan has gone to work remains to be seen... [Disappointed]

Qoheleth will be going on a jaunt after work, but where? ASMS is always good value, hopefully with a full outdoor procession? Bourne St and Holborn have featured in the past. I once carried the ombrellino at the Shrine of St Brian (aka the Cosmodrome). The St Magnus website suggests that the congregation was raptured on 16 April last. [Confused]

So, what are the Eccles denizens going to be doing?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall going to ASMS one Corpus Christi a few years ago - a great occasion, with the MBS carried in procession along part of Oxford Street before returning to the church for Benediction.....

....at our modest little fane, we shall have an evening Mass with hymns and incense for the 10 or so faithful souls who will (hopefully) be there.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I expect I shall go to the local Anglo-Catholic shrine on Thursday. Church of the Advent, Boston has a do planned.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, all three of our priests will be away at a meeting in Rome. We'll have a sung mass, (and hopefully) exposition of the blessed sacrament, an act of reparation to the blessed sacrament, and benediction.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My fave was many years ago at All Saints York where they draped the dustbins in damask before the procession of the MBS went past.

Presumably, the incarnate lord and his blessed mother left all the menial tasks like pouting the rubbish out to Joseph, that chaste spouse.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely making even the dustbins rejoice, or at least a sign of rejoicing, at the presence of God Incarnate is the highest possible witness to the dignity of labour?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you put it like that, then, I have to agree.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full sung mass, exposition of TMBBOULJC, procession round the church with flower petals (I think a mixture of rose and others), two thurifers (one going backwards, one forwards) and never-ending hymn.

I just wish I got what it was all about - it seems rather OTT, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corpus Christi is one of my favourite festivals, and for years I have not been able to make a mass with procession.

This year the new Bishop of Croydon, and head bloke of Affirming Catholicism, is presiding at St John's Upper Norwood for mass and procession of the BS and I hope to be there.

For years I've been bitterly disappointed that Affirming Catholicism seems to be affirming academic Christianity or ever affirming liberal protestantism.

I am deeply glad that Aff Cath seems to be getting round to actually affirming catholicism.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

I just wish I got what it was all about - it seems rather OTT, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it...

Try this

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just come from proof-reading the bulletin for next Sunday's liturgy, so I can report that we will have
  • solemn mass in white vestments, using the propers of the feast
  • the choir will sing Richard Shepherd's setting of 'Bread of the World in Mercy Broken' at the offertory
  • the organist will play Messiaen's 'Le Banquet Cèleste' at the first voluntary
  • following the communion of the faithful, the MBS will be en-monstranced (is that a word?) and enthroned for Benediction
  • following the singing of 'O Saving Victim' (to 'Hereford') the solemn procession will go about the church as the choir and people sing 'Lord Enthroned in Heavenly Splendour' (to 'Bryn Calfaria')
  • returning to the high altar for 'Tantum Ergo' (sung to 'St Thomas')
  • and thence finally all exeunt to the parish hall for a festive lunch (The day is kept as our feast of title.)
I've been pushing for a street procession, but 'maybe next year'.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

[*]following the singing of 'O Saving Victim' (to 'Hereford')
[/list]
I've been pushing for a street procession, but 'maybe next year'.

I have'nt heard it sung to this in years, and I love it. [Axe murder]

I'm in the choir, so our music will be:
Prelude: Ich Ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ
Entrance: Deck Thyself, My soul, With Gladness
Mass: Missa de Angelis
Offertory: Sacerdotes Domini, William Byrd
Communion: O Sacrum Convivium, Giovanni Croce
Exsposition:
Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All
O salutaris (Duget)
Tantum Ergo (Dulce Carmen)
Recessional: Holy God, We Praise Thy Name (Grosser Gott)
Postlude: Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWVW 545.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had a last-minute Bright Idea, Father now proposes to have a Procession and Benediction after Mass tomorrow evening. There may be only a few of us, but at least we can show some honour to the Blessed Sacrament - and it's good to sometimes do something a little different from the norm!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

I just got an e mail saying that all the servers are required to attend the noon mass on Sunday, so I guess that means OLASJCITMBS is going for his walk after all.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Having had a last-minute Bright Idea, Father now proposes to have a Procession and Benediction after Mass tomorrow evening. There may be only a few of us, but at least we can show some honour to the Blessed Sacrament - and it's good to sometimes do something a little different from the norm!

Ian J.

I think that sounds lovely - a small intimate bit of time with our Saviour's Presence. Let us know how it goes! [Smile]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the organist will play Messiaen's 'Le Banquet Cèleste' at the first voluntary

I used to think that this was the ideal Corpus Christi prelude, but now I hear it as a Maundy Thursday piece. There is too much suffering beneath the surface.

quote:
Whew, not to the tune St. Vincent. That old whiner could spoil an entire service for me. The tune you are using sounds attractive.

If all goes well, I'll be at S. Clement's and with a friend who has never been there. He's a good Roman Catholic, so I have no wish to convert him. But I hope that he will enjoy the experience.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

dj_ordinaire - I will report back as and when!

Ian J.

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear] It seems everybody around here is transferring to Sunday.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The liberal catholic parish I attend in SE London isn't marking Corpus Christi today so I shall stay up in town for mass. St Alban's Holborn is just a stone's throw away from my office so is a natural choice for Corpus Christi each year.

Always marked with a simple "bible service" as the previous incumbent used to say!! [Biased]

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S Magnus the Martyr for me.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a Low Mass this evening at 19-30 where no doubt the correct propers will be used and the main event takes place on Sunday afternoon ( Solemn Evensong Procession of the Blessed Sacrament and Benediction) where the Bishop of the Diocese will preach. The PP did ask is he wanted to preside but thats been no no'ed ( More out of trepidation than anything I think) If its not raing cats and dogs we shall be processing through the church and round the churchyard as usual, complete with Umbrellino.
Unfortunately we wont have enough servers for 2 Thurifers and I alas am MC so I wont be doing it ( though I shall have to supervise the thurifer very strictly) The jollifications will be concluded with a Parish Tea in the church hall

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
the organist will play Messiaen's 'Le Banquet Cèleste' at the first voluntary

I used to think that this was the ideal Corpus Christi prelude, but now I hear it as a Maundy Thursday piece. There is too much suffering beneath the surface.

quote:
Whew, not to the tune St. Vincent. That old whiner could spoil an entire service for me. The tune you are using sounds attractive.

If all goes well, I'll be at S. Clement's and with a friend who has never been there. He's a good Roman Catholic, so I have no wish to convert him. But I hope that he will enjoy the experience.

Thanks for your reactions.
Interesting response to Le Banquet Céleste: I've never heard the suffering you mention.
I think almost everyone was glad to consign 'St Vincent' to the dustbin. Another parish where I worked used 'Melcombe' for the O Salutaris.
Give us the scoop on St Clement's, particularly your friend's reaction!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll have low masses today, the nearby AC shrine church having their big do tonight (I'll be there). Our parish celebration and procession will be Sunday for the External Solemnity - solemn mass, procession, and benediction - our last Sunday with choir until September.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Our little service went fairly well, though the logistics didn't quite work out - the result of having Last Minute Ideas and virtually no practice!

Never mind - the 11 souls present in our Lady Chapel duly listened to the proper readings and a rather waffly sermon, and sang some nice hymns:
Alleluia, sing to Jesus as the introit
Soul of my Saviour at the offertory
Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour for the procession round the church and back into the Lady Chapel for a few minutes' silent prayer before the MBS, concluding with Tantum ergo, Benediction, and the Divine Praises.

We'll do better next year (and will probably advertise the service more widely as well....)

Ian J.

--------------------

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little smoke, a borrowed monstrance and a procession inside the church because of the rain in this corner of Devon tonight. Of course the state of our roof made that only slightly drier than it would have been outside!

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Give us the scoop on St Clement's, particularly your friend's reaction!

Sadly, he didn't go with me anyway. Called late Wed. night very apologetic, to say that guests were coming over the weekend, the house was a mess, and if he didn't help his wife with the cleaning he'd be in the doghouse for a month. I believe him, but perhaps he is also a bit uncomfortable with the idea of darkening the door of a protestant conventicle, even if once he got inside he'd find Latin, lace, and even the Tridentine canon!

Our guest preacher was Fr. Alton, formerly rector of S. Mark's, Philadelphia, now of S. Andrew's, Stamford, Conn. The music had a French flavor: Vierne Messe Solennelle, prelude and three intense motets by Marcel Dupré, the latter unpublished. Peter Conte told me he was given the music long ago by someone at St. Mary the Virgin in New York (probably McNeil Robinson). In his lifetime Dupré might cringe at the use of Vierne's music alongside his. The two men had a falling out after Dupré's agent or publicist made the mistake of billing him as the organist of Notre-Dame for a British tour, when he was only the assistant. But if they are both enjoying the empyrean realms that their music intimates, they must be reconciled by now. :-)

Peter's hymn accompaniments and improvisations were superlative as always. Hymns included "Clear vault of heaven", which I can never get through dry-eyed. I've never heard of its being used anywhere else, but no Corpus Christi festival at S. Clement's would be complete without it.

Traffic getting into the city was so horrendous that I arrived barely in time and not feeling entirely Christian. But it's the good stuff that one will remember. Thanks be to God.

--------------------

Magic Wand
Shipmate
# 4227

- Posted      Profile for Magic Wand   Email Magic Wand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Alogon I was also at St. Clement's, where I've often gone for Corpus Christi in years past for their lavish and inspiring celebrations of the feast. I had heard that things had changed there lately, but I was shocked to see some of it in person. I recognized very few of the acolytes, and there were rather less of them than in prior years. Almost no one in the chancel seemed to know what they were supposed to do, to the extent of almost bumping into each other several times. There were no relics on the altar, and hardly any flowers. They've given up little things like the paten at Communion, and much more noticeable things like the canopy for the Blessed Sacrament. And there were a whole bunch of other odd minor differences from my previous experiences of Corpus Christi there.

The music is still of a very high standard, but they had fewer hymns for the procession of the Blessed Sacrament, so it was taken at a break-neck speed!

And I thought Father Alton's homily was really good,

All in all it left me with a sad feeling, like an age had passed that we won't see again. I guess that's progress!

Posts: 371 | From: Princeton, NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to mass at the little high-up-the-candle place i go to if i want to observe a weekday celebration such as Ascension or Corpus Christi (My own MOR parish doesn't do Corpus Christi at all) It was a full-fledged solemn mass where the ministers and the choir outnumbered the congregation 11-8. The priest, deacon and sub-deacon had what appeared to be new gold vestments and incense was applied energetically creating a nice slight haze in the smallish church. (No procession with the Blessed Sacrament or Benediction however)

A few years ago I attended a sunday celebration of Corpus Christi at St Mary the Virgin in New York and as part of the congregation participated in their procession with the Blessed Sacrament thru the Sunday noontime crowds in Times square -- a memorable experience, and i'll always recall the sight of the ministers carrying the sacrament under a gold-cloth canopy passing by a woman wearing what appeared to be a very skimpy version of a Wonder Woman costume perched atop a car as part of some sort of promotion!

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Alogon:
The music had a French flavor: Vierne Messe Solennelle, prelude and three intense motets by Marcel Dupré

We also had the Vierne Messe Solennelle, then Franck Panis Angelicus. Can't remember what the postlude was, but I think that was French too.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
There were no relics on the altar, and hardly any flowers. They've given up little things like the paten at Communion, and much more noticeable things like the canopy for the Blessed Sacrament.

You have a somewhat keener eye than I. While I didn't notice uncertain shuffling among the altar party, I regretted the absence of the paten (if that is what we call the spade-shaped tray carried by a server to catch the host in case someone drops it). I also noticed the absence of the relics but thought that this might be due to not wanting to distract from the Sacrament in the monstrance and can't recall whether it was ever otherwise on Corpus Christi. Something certainly sheltered the monstrance in procession. If not a canopy, what is it called? Umbrellino, perhaps? It seemed far too large to describe with "ino" and was no less beautiful than the former canopy.

There is definitely less money to work with than in the past, which is no one's fault: attendance and pledging are up. Although I don't accept the claim that we can't afford a curate, when market conditions have reduced the endowment or the income from it, it would be very foolish not to make adjustments.

--------------------

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an unusual feast for me, but the music on offer was Darke in F, which I find hard to resist.

So I went along to one of my favourite churches in England.

Highlights: music to cathedral standard. Procession. Baroque vestments glittering. Headgear (birettas? Even now?). Two thurifers, two banners, one aparell, lights, and all inside as the weather was so shocking.

Sadly we were fewer than 10 in the congo.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
There were no relics on the altar, and hardly any flowers. They've given up little things like the paten at Communion, and much more noticeable things like the canopy for the Blessed Sacrament.

You have a somewhat keener eye than I. While I didn't notice uncertain shuffling among the altar party, I regretted the absence of the paten (if that is what we call the spade-shaped tray carried by a server to catch the host in case someone drops it). I also noticed the absence of the relics but thought that this might be due to not wanting to distract from the Sacrament in the monstrance and can't recall whether it was ever otherwise on Corpus Christi. Something certainly sheltered the monstrance in procession. If not a canopy, what is it called? Umbrellino, perhaps? It seemed far too large to describe with "ino" and was no less beautiful than the former canopy.

There is definitely less money to work with than in the past, which is no one's fault: attendance and pledging are up. Although I don't accept the claim that we can't afford a curate, when market conditions have reduced the endowment or the income from it, it would be very foolish not to make adjustments.

I assumed the ombrellino was used due to lack of extra servers to carry the canopy. The MC did seem to be herding sheep at a couple of points. Yes the relics were not on the high altar, but of course they must always be covered over when the MBS is exposed so it is rather sensible in my view to put them away for such an occasion. The procession was hardly break-neck as it took four hymns to cover it, but it wasn't the former snail's pace procession either.

The music was ravishing and the homily excellent.

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
S Magnus the Martyr for me.

• About 30 present in the congo
  • About a dozen in the sanctuary party
  • Professional vocal quartet & excellent organist
  • Rheinberger - Missa Brevis in F
  • Elgar - Ave Verum corpus
  • Elgar - O Salutaris
  • Vierne - Tantum ergo
  • Anglo-Papalism at its highest
  • Diminutive celebrant, Deacon & Sub-deacon, and an eclectic bunch of servers
  • No sermon, silent canon
  • Indoor procession with rose-petals, 2 thurifers walking backwards & bells
  • Pizza and wine afterwards

I thought I had seen most things in my travels, but this was new:
quote:
The Subdeacon covers the paten with the right end of the humeral veil in such a manner that his hand does not touch the paten and that both hand and paten are concealed by the veil. Holding the paten against his breast, and covering his right hand with his left, the Subdeacon returns by the shortest way to the center at the foot of the altar, genuflects, and stands there until the consecration. After the genuflection he raises the paten in front of his face, supporting the right elbow with the left hand.
Can anyone tell me, please, of what is this a vestige?

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do the thurifers walk backwards? (I'm guessing it's to not turn one's back on the MBS.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Why do the thurifers walk backwards? (I'm guessing it's to not turn one's back on the MBS.)

That's right. I rather like it, but it's not an authentic old practice and not done at S. Clement's.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Qoheleth - you will find the answer to your question in the instructions for the celebration of High Mass in the Roman rite before Vatican 2
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

That's right. I rather like it, but it's not an authentic old practice and not done at S. Clement's.
This happens in the Byzantine Rite, during the Great Entrance at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts. The deacon censes the Gifts during the procession and, because they have been.consecrated, walks backwards so as not to turn his back on them.

In places where they perhaps don't understand the reason for this, it is not rare to find a server doing the same backward-walk at the regular Liturgy, even though the gifts at this point are not consecrated, nobody below the order of deacon censes anything or anyone liturgically, and the rubrics do not call for any censing of the gifts at this point anyway.

I suppose it's the equivalent of western Christians genuflecting out of habit, even when there is no reservation.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Qoheleth - you will find the answer to your question in the instructions for the celebration of High Mass in the Roman rite before Vatican 2

Thanks. This link offers a convincing explanation, from
quote:
the bowels of the history of the liturgy.
[Eek!]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hooker's Trick mentions the sad fact that there were less than 10 in the congo at the church he visited.

We had 11 all told (but we are a small backstreet parish with an ASA of 30-35), and, on looking back at the registers, I see that our previous Corpus Christi Mass (in 2005, I think) mustered 8.........

We intend, next year, to advertise our service more widely across the Deanery, so that a few souls whose own benighted conventicles don't celebrate CC on the day might be accommodated. Corpus Christi isn't on everyone's radar, I know, but it makes sense in this area for at least one church (apart from the Cathedral - and I don't know offhand what they offered) to make the effort. For all its ragged edges, it was a lovely service.

Ian J.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
I thought I had seen most things in my travels, but this was new:
quote:
The Subdeacon covers the paten with the right end of the humeral veil in such a manner that his hand does not touch the paten and that both hand and paten are concealed by the veil. Holding the paten against his breast, and covering his right hand with his left, the Subdeacon returns by the shortest way to the center at the foot of the altar, genuflects, and stands there until the consecration. After the genuflection he raises the paten in front of his face, supporting the right elbow with the left hand.
Can anyone tell me, please, of what is this a vestige?
The subdeacon paten dance is a vestige of deacons standing round at the bishop's Eucharist, waiting to take consecrated Bread from this Eucharist out to the suburban congregations in which presbyters presided at the Eucharist. The delivery of these consecrated particles from the bishop's mass was to show the unity of the suburban presbyters' masses with the bishop's Eucharist. In the same way, the Co-Mixture - the dropping of a particle of the Host into the Chalice - is thought to originally date from this same era, and is a vestige of the reception of the Bread from the bishop's Eucharist at the offering of the Mass in suburban churches, though the ceremony was later given a mystical re-interpretation.

I don't care for the paten dance myself, though it is done at my current parish church of St Clement's Philadelphia.

[fixed code - preview post is your friend]

[ 09. June 2012, 15:17: Message edited by: seasick ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I attended Mass and Procession for Corpus Domini in the Ambrosian Rite, celebrated by HE the Cardinal Archbishop of Milan, together with what appeared to be all the clergy and religious of the diocese in striking red vestments.

The Mass was celebrated in the church of San Carlo with the doors open so that we who were thronging outside could have a good view of the action at the altar. Then the party, together with various civic representatives, guilds and such like processed through the streets to the Duomo whilst an extended liturgy was read and sang over a special loud-speaker system. This consisted of readings from the Encyclical of Pope Benedict on 'Love', litanies, Scriptural readings, hymns and choruses.

The MBS was carried by the Cardinal under the canopy with thurifer and six lights - I was most disappointed at the lack of rose petals and the fact that the thurifer walked forwards - one would have thought they would have wanted to go the whole hog but no matter!

The only real down side was just how much of it there was... We didn't stay for the concluding liturgy and Benediction in the Duomo because proceedings had already gone on for two hours and seemed to be just over half way. [Ultra confused] Now, I am all for good meaty liturgy but a) there was a lot of catechetical material which was rather dry, and not enough singing for my taste; and b) we hadn't had any dinner...

So that was my Thursday evening anyway! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And dinner in Milan is itself a foretaste of the heavenly banquet. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone manage to get to St Mary's Bourne Street last night? My contact there says that they have started bussing in priests for the procession but I remember the canopy being carried by men in dinner jackets who must have been lay people.
Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our outdoor procession was rained out (though the rain is much-needed here), so we just had the procession of clergy and servers circle around the interior of the church. We used the ombrellino, but not the canopy, which we would have used outside. Naturally, we used two thurifers, neither of which walked backwards. They simply alerntated: One censed the Most Holy while the other took a few steps forward, then vice-versa. The same is done during the procession on Maundy Thursday.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Incensed:
Did anyone manage to get to St Mary's Bourne Street last night? My contact there says that they have started bussing in priests for the procession but I remember the canopy being carried by men in dinner jackets who must have been lay people.

I was going to go, but a last minute swirch drove me to St Barts where a modest-sized congregation was treated to full Solemn Latin Vespers; a wonderful setting of the Magnificat to Marenzio; the sublime O Sacrum Convivium by Tallis' Byrd's Ave Verum. Followed by Benediction and a setting of Tantum Ergo and Salve Regina. Very beautofil but a bit low key as the procession and an earlier benendiction took place during the morning Solemn Eucharist.

I do would be interested to know about Bourne St.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
And dinner in Milan is itself a foretaste of the heavenly banquet. [Smile]

Hehe, thanks, the pheasant dinner I cooked for us afterwards was quite nice I admit!

More relevantly... this page has a picutre from last year which gives a flavour of things...

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously the Ambrosian rite knows how to do things properly. Do you know if CC was observed on the Thursday or the Sunday in the rest of Italy?

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

I do indeed know that it was observed on Sunday (in gold rather than red), as by Sunday I was in the Archdiocese of Genoa and got everything again... [Smile] Just a simple service with no processions this time but very good for my understanding of the Epistle to the Hebrews in Italian!

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

In Genova cathedral by any chance? Great place. [PS I can't understand the Epistle to the Hebrews in English!]

[ 14. June 2012, 15:44: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

No, out in the Cinque Terre. I presume there is a cathedral in La Spezia, which is nearer, but I'm not sure if it is still an independent diocese. How widespread is keeping CC on the Thursday amongst RCs? I know the England & Wales, and Ireland, all transfer to the Sunday, and that Poland keeps the Thursday.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016