homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Taking the Biscuit - The annual Corpus Christi thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Taking the Biscuit - The annual Corpus Christi thread
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corpus Christi is called popularly in Italy 'Corpus Domini' or more correctly in modern Italian 'Santissimo Corpo e Sangue di Cristo.
For about 40 years now Corpus Christi is celebrated liturgically on the Sunday following the traditional date in Italy.There are a few very local exceptions,such as Orvieto where the 'miracle of Bolsena' is commemorated by a historical pageant with the liturgical procession of the Blessed Sacrament following on the Sunday.

One shouldn't forget that the Vatican is NOT in Italy and it celebrates liturgical feasts on the traditional days.

The Holydays of Obligation in Italy,apart from Sundays, are Epiphany(6th Jan)Assumption(15th Aug),All Saints (1st November)Immaculate Conception(8th December) and Christmas (25th Dec)
All other traditional festivals are either transferred to Sunday or ar not considered as of obligation.

In addition there will be local holidays of religious significance and public holidays such as 7th Dec.(Milan) and 10th August(Perugia).

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

One shouldn't forget that the Vatican is NOT in Italy and it celebrates liturgical feasts on the traditional days.

Quick question to which you or someone might know the answer: are there any parish churches within the Vatican? I imagine there are various convent chapels and that sort of thing (little shacks with ceiling paintings by Michelangelo spring to mind), but otherwise presumably St Peter's is the only place where those feasts are publicly celebrated on their correct days.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The parish church is Sta Anna, by the St Anne's Gates and the Swiss Guards barracks. Then there is the Abyssinian Church, St Stephen's, where Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, was married.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
The parish church is Sta Anna, by the St Anne's Gates and the Swiss Guards barracks. Then there is the Abyssinian Church, St Stephen's, where Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, was married.

Does this mean that Lord Nicholas is now an Ethiopian Catholic?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The parish church is Sta Anna, by the St Anne's Gates and the Swiss Guards barracks.

What a curious and charming hybrid of everyday inner-city parish and high-profile bastion of the Vatican!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Triple T well knows, those reconciling to themselves to the Catholic Church may do so through any of the churches of that communion-- I know two Melkites and a Coptic Catholic, who onced graced Anglican pews. But a bit of research shows that my post was perhaps too flippant-- Lord Nicholas was received into the Latin church in 2001 and he is now an honorary vice-president of the Friends of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham.

Apologies to other shipmates for the tangent.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Vatican state includes various other churches such as the Patriarchal basilicas of Santa Maria Maggiore,San Giovanni in Laterano and San Paolo fuori le Mura,which are all extra territorial to Italy,as well as the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo.Whether they celebrate liturgically on traditional days or not, I don't know.

Ss Peter and Paul is one of the days dropped from the festal calendar of public holidays about 40 years ago (on the 100th anniversary of the Breach of Porta Pia and the incorporation of Rome into the Italian state).The day passes by unnoticed now by most Italians but the pope still celebrates a Solemn Mass at which he distributes the pallium to new archbishops appointed during the previous year.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
The parish church is Sta Anna, by the St Anne's Gates and the Swiss Guards barracks.

What a curious and charming hybrid of everyday inner-city parish and high-profile bastion of the Vatican!
[Smile] [Angel] [Votive]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016