homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglo Catholic Church in Atlanta

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglo Catholic Church in Atlanta
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, everybody.

I plan to be in the Decatur (Atlanta) Georgia area next weekend and wonder if any shipmates could offer a suggestion of an Anglo Catholic Church in the neighborhood. Thanks for your help.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a few years since I lived in Atlanta, but in my day the only Anglo-Catholic TEC church was the Church of Our Saviour in Virginia Highlands. The situation may be different now.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry if I killed your thread. Where did you end up going to church?
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to my parish at home where we use incense twice a year, like it or not.

Actually, I’m planning the trip and it’s evolving. I’ll likely find myself in Atlanta next weekend, July 8. The city is unfamiliar to me and I wondered what other shipmates knew about places to go to church there. The Anglo Catholic place I’m looking for doesn’t necessarily have to be in the Episcopal Church; it might be some other Anglican body.

Thanks, New Yorker, for the suggestion. The Church of Our Saviour looks like a good choice. How do you go about choosing a church to visit when you’re away from home?

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

If I am going to be away over a Sunday church planning is a major issue. If I'm in a familiar city, then chances are I repeat what I've done in the past. If an unfamiliar city I scour the Ship and the internet for info about various parishes. I try to find one with orthodox teaching and good music. Alas, often travel arrangements dictate finding a parish that is near an airport and that is the main criteria. This often leads to no thrills early Sunday morning Masses.

I lived in Atlanta for many years, although I've been away for 8 or 9 years now. I lived near the Church of Our Savior. If I recall correctly, it was a small but committed parish worshipping and teaching in the Anglo-Catholic mode. If I also recall correctly, some of the parish left at some point to enter into full communion with the Catholic church. (Maybe even the rector?) It's also in a nice neighborhood with several nice restaurants nearby for lunch afterwards!

I don't know much about the Episcopal scene in Atlanta anymore although when I lived there All Saints and St Luke's among others had decent if not great music programs. I know nothing of the parish(es) in Decatur. A good friend is in one of the Continuing Churchess, but it is very small as far as I know.

Hopefully, others will be along to discuss the Atlanta TEC/Anglican scene.

Finally, it is summer. Some parish choirs may be on leave until the fall.

I hope you like Atlanta; I have fond memories of it - not including the traffic of course!

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wm Dewy:
The Anglo Catholic place I’m looking for doesn’t necessarily have to be in the Episcopal Church; it might be some other Anglican body.

I will admit that this part surprised me.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When visiting a place whose church scene we are unfamiliar with, I normally do an internet search for "Episcopal churches in..." and then browse the websites of ones that are in a convenient part of town or just look at all the sites if it's a smallish city or town. Alternatively, I sometimes look at the diocesan website and use the links to parishes in the specific place we'll be visiting. You can also try searching for "Anglo-Catholic parishes in..." specifically, although this may not prove productive unless there are parishes in the locality that strongly self-identify as Anglo-Catholic.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the relative small-ness of the Episcopal Church (compared to some other bodies), I've always just asked my priest. It seems that all the A-C clergy pretty much know each other and what their parishes may be like.

That is, of course, presuming that you have an A-C priest handy!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From New Yorker: "... This often leads to no thrills early Sunday morning Masses. ... "

Did you mean "frills"?

Wait a mo; I think I see what you mean.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:

I lived in Atlanta for many years, although I've been away for 8 or 9 years now. I lived near the Church of Our Savior. If I recall correctly, it was a small but committed parish worshipping and teaching in the Anglo-Catholic mode. If I also recall correctly, some of the parish left at some point to enter into full communion with the Catholic church. (Maybe even the rector?) It's also in a nice neighborhood with several nice restaurants nearby for lunch afterwards!

Finally, it is summer. Some parish choirs may be on leave until the fall.

Yes, the former Rector - Warren Tanghe - left for the Catholic Church, I believe to serve a group of Anglican nuns near Baltimore; I think a rector before him, Thad Rudd, also left for the Catholic Church. This parish was, for some time, out of step with the Diocese. Our Saviour was always smallish, and the choir and music program fairly modest. I lived there 1996-2001, and there simply was not a strong Anglo-Catholic presence in Atlanta.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of an Anglo-Catholic parish in the Diocese of Atlanta. [Big Grin]

I can't remember the church's name. [Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry [Frown]

[ 26. June 2012, 22:35: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

I appreciate the comments of shipmates.

I have a fine priest, but I wouldn’t call him Anglo Catholic. And searching the web is a nice idea, but too many congregations have cobweb sites for that to be my principal resource. So I turned to the Ship for advice and guidance and I thank you for your input.

--------------------

Country Teacher
Apprentice
# 17082

- Posted      Profile for Country Teacher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in the Diocese of ATL, but way out on the periphery. I'm afraid that means I don't know much about specific parishes in ATL. As has been mentioned, All Saint's is a very respectable parish. I enjoy going to the Cathedral of St. Philip from time to time.

I can tell you the diocese is largely a broad church. Sonata3's observations are still accurate from what I know. That may not be much help. Best of luck, safe travels, and welcome to Georgia.

Posts: 8 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one I'm thinking of is a recent church plant.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The website of Church of Our Savior says that it was intentionally established as an Anglo-Catholic parish in the 1920s, in what was at the time a uniformly low church diocese. Exploring the website, I would surmise that Our Savior is what I would classify as a moderate A-C parish rather than as an advanced A-C shack. Seems a nice enough place, in any case.
Country Teacher
Apprentice
# 17082

- Posted      Profile for Country Teacher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
The website of Church of Our Savior says that it was intentionally established as an Anglo-Catholic parish in the 1920s, in what was at the time a uniformly low church diocese. Exploring the website, I would surmise that Our Savior is what I would classify as a moderate A-C parish rather than as an advanced A-C shack. Seems a nice enough place, in any case.

Seeing some of the photos from the diocese's volunteer photogropher, Bill Monk, I'd say you are on point there.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about out in the suburbs, bur Our Saviour is still what i'd call the trademark Anglo-Catholic parish in the city. They not only have smells but the bells as well. It is a cozy little paish that is consciously Anglo-Catholic, but apparently quite happy to be in the Episcopal diocese. Those who wanted to leave i guess did so en masse as described above. I don't know the details. It is in Atlanta's Virginia-Highland neighborhood, not too far from Decatur.

The current vicar is Fr. Bolton who hails from the Episcopal Church of Scotland. I've had a few conversations with him, he is a good pastor. A couple of my good friends are parishioners.

I am a happy member of St. Luke's, which is what Eccles folk would call MOR i guess, but on occasion like to go to Our Saviour for weekday Holy Days not covered by my parish, e.g., Ascension, and Corpus Christi, (i described this year's mass in the Corpus Christi thread). I also go to the occasional weekday low mass in the ultra-tiny Lady Chapel.

They use Rite 1, never 2 as far as I know, augmented with propers from the missal -- which missal i don't know) At sung masses the missal propers such as the introit are chanted by the whole congregation. They also chant the gospel at solemn masses.

A couple of years ago i saw what i had only heard of before, on eccles of course -- the thurifer was doing 360s!

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Country Teacher. There's a general Welcome thread over on the All Saints board if you feel inclined to introduce yourself to the crew. Otherwise, enjoy your journey with us.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading the above, let me make a clarification. The congo sings the introit and other chants -- but it's the deacon who chants the gospel, not the congregation!

[ 27. June 2012, 03:13: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

On the assumption (no pun intended on this thread) that there are no Anglo-Catholic parishes of major note in Atlanta* and with the caveat that my knowledge is dated, I recall All Saints and St Lukes as having good music. I also recall a church on Lavista (St Bartholomew's?) as having good music, although on a small scale. Also a parish on Ponce de Leon (the road from Atlanta to Decatur), I believe that it is Epiphany parish, had a good music program on a small scale. Most of this knowledge was based on attending concerts or Lessons and Carols services rather than Sunday services.

If you are so inclined to cross the Tiber, the Cathedral of Christ the King has a wonderful music program, is a lovely art deco* building, and is generally middle of the road RC. The choir may be in recess and parking for the Sunday Masses is a challenge as is finding a seat in the pews.

*I think it's art deco. My knowledge of such things is very limited.

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

Sorry. The first * was to say that I do not mean to discredit Our Saviour.
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the Diocese of Atlanta for a long time, and Our Saviour is definitely the only actually Anglo-Catholic Church in town and always has been. HOWEVER, St. Philip's Cathedral, St. Luke's, and All Saints' (sort of the big three in town) all do broad, highish, "cathedral style" worship very well with excellent music programs. Out of the three, I would recommend St. Philip's; it's one of the largest parishes in the whole Episcopal Church, and you'll definitely get a grander mass there than anywhere else.

In summary, Our Saviour is a fine little place, but if you're looking for something a little more, I would most certainly go to St. Philip's Cathedral. (I believe they even regularly have incense, but don't quote me.)

Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

Of course, we've been chatting away about parishes in Atlanta rather than Decatur!

Depending on where you are in Decatur, from there to St Philips Cathedral could be a 20 minute drive more or less. And parking! You'll be battling all those RCs, Baptist, and Methodist parishoners at nearby churches. Peachtree street becomes a partial parking lot on Sunday Mornings.

There is, I seem to recall, one Episcopal church in Decatur itself, on the edge of downtown. I know nothing about it. The RC Parish in Decatur is St. Thomas Moore. It's on the low end of things or normal for small town RC parishes.

BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a point of reference though, Atlanta is a driving city, and Decatur is considered Atlanta proper sort-of by most Atlantans, as it's "ITP" or inside the perimeter of Interstate 285.

Also, on a Sunday morning it won't take you 20 min. to get to Buckhead from Decatur. Any other time, however. . .

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

Actually Decatur is closer to the centre of Atlanta than many actual city of Atlanta neighborhoods themselves, e.g. Buckhead. For practical purposes it can be considered a city neighborhood, less suburbanised that many or most Atl neighborhoods. Downtown Decatur is a short hop by subway from downtown Atlanta. Virginia-Highlands, the city of Atlanta neighborhood where Our Saviour is, is a quick car ride away. (But by public transit not so great as it involves buses, taking more than one bus route -- and for the most part Atlanta's buses' frequency and routing are quite horrible. The train is decent but doesn't cover most of the city)

I think there are 2 Episcopal churches in Decatur. One is in downtown Decatur and there is another one in a Decatur neighborhood. But I am not familiar with either.

As an aside, the city of Atlanta (and of Decatur) are quite small parts of the overblown sprawling suburban cancer that is metro Atlanta.

--------------------
God = love.

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

My brief comments on this year's Corpus Christi celebration at Our Saviour.

[ 27. June 2012, 15:45: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

the Ænglican
Shipmate
# 12496

- Posted      Profile for the Ænglican   Email the Ænglican   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

You're probably thinking of St. Columba then. I haven't been in town since it was established so I haven't visited but as I recall it was in the further northern suburbs a ways from Decatur. Check the website to properly calculate directions. (And of course I love their Daily Prayer link! [Yipee] )

--------------------
The subject of religious ceremonial is one which has a special faculty for stirring strong feeling. --W. H. Frere

Posts: 177 | From: Baltimore-ish | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Yep, that's the one, I recognize the priest.

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by the Ænglican:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

You're probably thinking of St. Columba then. I haven't been in town since it was established so I haven't visited but as I recall it was in the further northern suburbs a ways from Decatur. Check the website to properly calculate directions. (And of course I love their Daily Prayer link! [Yipee] )
They look very nice indeed!
BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

I admire them too. How many other recent suburban Episcopal Church plants have full high masses with sacred ministers in birettas.

On the other hand, how many recent church plants are Anglo-Catholic at all? Weird how this model seems to work, isn't it?

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

The rector planted a church that was radically different from all the other churches in the area. Problem is the method he used won't work outside of a large city. My diocese has only two areas where his method could possibly work.

--------------------

Country Teacher
Apprentice
# 17082

Well, how did you fare? Which, if any, parish did you go to, and how was it?

ed. Spelling

[ 08. July 2012, 23:31: Message edited by: Country Teacher ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016