homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Saying Grace-what's your take? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Saying Grace-what's your take?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bax:
Benedictus + benedicat

That's the one...thanks. "Blessed One, bless."
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy (or that our culture currently believes unhealthy)? Deep fried chicken nuggets that are mostly breading, sugary sauce, french fries, a sugar drink, and dessert, like God really is honored when we choose this to eat? (A different situation perhaps from when it's the only food available.)

Sometimes I feel squeamish about grace for that kind of "food," feels like when someone thanks God for or asks God to bless an opportunity to do something not exactly loving and moral.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do! I usually used "blessed art thou, oh Lord our God, king of the universe, who bringest forth bread from the earth." Feels a bit awkward when breakfast is coffee and cake. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy (or that our culture currently believes unhealthy)? Deep fried chicken nuggets that are mostly breading, sugary sauce, french fries, a sugar drink, and dessert, like God really is honored when we choose this to eat? (A different situation perhaps from when it's the only food available.)

Sometimes I feel squeamish about grace for that kind of "food," feels like when someone thanks God for or asks God to bless an opportunity to do something not exactly loving and moral.

If you are feeling embarrassed about your food choices, then perhaps God is telling you something. But I don't think gratitude is ever misplaced.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. I think that we are very blessed indeed that we can choose such foods, even if they are bad for us. Because one alternative is that we have no food at all.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Heavenly Father, we thank thee for our food. Grant that we may be strengthen by it to serve thee through thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Or some variance thereof.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New Testament contains plenty of examples about breaking the rules concerning types of food. Simply replace "pork" with "chicken nugget." I'm sure most of us could be doing a better job of being good stewards of the earth, its bounty, and indeed our own bodies, but one of the joys of being a follower of Christ is that we needn't worry about nitpicking every little empty calorie!
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My now grown up children used to say that Mr Cullinane's (head of RE) grace was the best. When pressed they revealed that it was:
Rub a dub dub
Thank you God for the grub.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Do any of you join me in feeling a bit awkward in attributing to God's provision or asking God to bless food that is in fact unhealthy

If you are feeling embarrassed about your food choices, then perhaps God is telling you something.
I don't chose that kind of food, sometimes I'm served it. Sometime I decide I'm fasting. [Smile]

I was raised on "we thank thee for this meal, O Lord." A visiting kid asked "why are we thanking God for the smell? [Smile]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A variant upon the blessing of incense, when the food isn't prepared very well: Be though blessed by him before whom thou hast been burnt.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless us, Oh Lord, and these your gifts which we are about to receive from your bounty, [and make us ever mindful of the needs of others] through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

Preferably sung in Latin.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Bless us, Oh Lord, and these your gifts which we are about to receive from your bounty, [and make us ever mindful of the needs of others] through Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

Preferably sung in Latin.

[Hot and Hormonal] whoops - must have leapfrogged over Trisagion's earlier.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an abhorrence of rhyming graces and of graces that are so long and flowery that the food is spoiled by the end of the prayer. Mine tends to be an arrow prayer: "Thank you, God, for my dinner". Straight, to the point and heartfelt.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
My now grown up children used to say that Mr Cullinane's (head of RE) grace was the best. When pressed they revealed that it was:
Rub a dub dub

Edith, that is an interesting variant, but the canonical form is
quote:
Rub a dub dub
Thanks for the grub.
Yay God!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I have an abhorrence of rhyming graces and of graces that are so long and flowery that the food is spoiled by the end of the prayer. Mine tends to be an arrow prayer: "Thank you, God, for my dinner". Straight, to the point and heartfelt.

I should think God himself would be rather pleased, too. I can imagine God up in the heavens listening to prayers which go onandonandon, rolling his eyes, and thinking 'Get on with it already!' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
Rub a dub dub

Edith, that is an interesting variant, but the canonical form is
quote:
Rub a dub dub
Thanks for the grub.
Yay God!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that last line is properly delivered
quote:
Yaaaaaaaaaay GOD!
One must get the proper rhythm and intonation. [Biased]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, I do believe you are right. After prayerful meditation, here is my second try:
quote:
Rub-a-dub-dub,
Thanks for the grub.
yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAY! GOD!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

That's more like it!

On the more sober side is my Grandmother's (on the Methodist side of the family) grace:

Be present at our table, Lord.
Be here and everywhere adored.
Grace, health, and strength to us accord
Through Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord. Amen.

I learned this as a very little girl and, probably because of that, always recited it in a very sing-song style, and finally dropped it along the way. It is only in recent years that I have regained it and come to realize how elegant the words are. And I believe it was on the Ship where I read that the words are attributed to Wesley -- does anyone know if that is correct?

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Grace chez nous is usually along the lines of "Thank you, God, for the foods" (we is wiv it yoof-types), which sometimes gets expanded into a little spontaneous list of other things of the day that we are thankful for. Other times it gets shortened to "Thank God for pizza/<insert foodstuff of choice here>".

On a youth camp once I learned a grace from a swedish family that translated as "Food! Hallelujah! Amen" and could be sung/chanted to 'shave and a haircut'.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
On the more sober side is my Grandmother's (on the Methodist side of the family) grace:

Be present at our table, Lord.
Be here and everywhere adored.
Grace, health, and strength to us accord
Through Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord. Amen.

Ehem...see the last link. It's not just for Methodists! Slightly different versions, but basically the same idea. I know of two different versions used commonly by Lutherans around here. The other version is basically the same, but ends with "May strengthened for Thy service be."

(I've been checking for a Wesley connection, but have yet to find one.)

[ 03. July 2012, 19:14: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grace for food yet to come was provided last night by granddaughter, staying with me. At Cryptic's suggestion, I've cross posted from AS.

quote:
Miss 7 and her sister Miss just 10 have been here since Sunday. Miss 7 decided she would pray last night at bedtime. Her prayer; Dear God, thank you we are having butter chicken for dinner tomorrow.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be a great way of pressuring the cook to put what you've just prayed for on the menu tomorrow. [Two face]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
That would be a great way of pressuring the cook to put what you've just prayed for on the menu tomorrow. [Two face]

I had planned it. MIss ten always volunteers to say grace but it was Miss 7 who ate the most.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016