homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Parish Notices (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Parish Notices
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
Our congregation is twice the size by the Gospel than it is at the end of the introit hymn.

Same here. I've counted sometimes - usually less than half the eventual congregation will be seated in the pews when the service starts. Most will arrive in the first five minutes but quite large numbers will still be turning up after fifteen (often including me), and a few at thirty.
I simply don't get this. If I'm more than about five minutes late I'll be reluctant to go in at all. And what is this regular lateness thing?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I used to show up late to skip the announcements when we used to start with them! [Razz]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our place, announcements only occur in the bulletin or at coffee hour (if vitally important). It is absolutely heavenly.

If you must have announcements, then between the prelude/voluntary and the beginning of mass is the best.

If this results in people intentionally coming late to mass, consider the possibility that they are intentionally coming at that time in order to miss the announcements. Perhaps you should take the hint.

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This late arrival business is getting annoying. Our congregation is small enough at the best of times, but last Sunday there were only about a couple of dozen people in church as we processed in during the introit hymn. By the time we got to the Gospel, the other 13* had all arrived.......all with young children, so I can't get too cross (it does take time to get kids moving sometimes, no?).

This coming Sunday, we have a rousing introit hymn (to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, no less), and I would really, really love to have more than a handful there to sing it......

Ian J.

*37 in church is a little above average for us - there were a few Mispers, as usual, but if they all came every week, we'd have an ASA of 40-45.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
I don't get this being late thing. I've never been to a church where more than the odd person slipped in after the service had started. Is this a London thing?

Not in South West Ireland, no.

Here it's allegedly related to milking cows. Allegedly. Being late is in fact an accepted tradition in this part of the country, apparently.

In the South and West of Ireland folks only take notice of the hour hand on a watch. In which case there is not much difference between 10.48am, 11.00am, and 11.12am.

PD

Actually, that really makes a certain sense of what I've noticed here.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
This late arrival business is getting annoying. Our congregation is small enough at the best of times, but last Sunday there were only about a couple of dozen people in church as we processed in during the introit hymn. By the time we got to the Gospel, the other 13* had all arrived.......all with young children, so I can't get too cross (it does take time to get kids moving sometimes, no?).

This coming Sunday, we have a rousing introit hymn (to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, no less), and I would really, really love to have more than a handful there to sing it......

Ian J.

*37 in church is a little above average for us - there were a few Mispers, as usual, but if they all came every week, we'd have an ASA of 40-45.

The odd thing at my shack yesterday was that I did not have anyone dragging in late! That was a pity as I could have done with a few more, as it was a little thin. Our ASA runs about the same as yours, and we also have the habitual latecomers. As a result I tend not to schedule real stompers for the first hymn for fear that it will fall flat when there are only about 22 people in there.

PD

P.S. If the Battle Hymn of the Republic was scheduled in our shack I would turn up late just to miss it, though I am not sure how a celebrant can miss the first hymn! For some reason I absolutely loathe it!

[ 16. July 2012, 23:30: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And what is this regular lateness thing?

Does it really cause anyone any real problems? Its not like being late for some personal appointment, the worship will go on without you.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is not too bad in our present building, though high heels on the steps make a stealth approach difficult for some folks. It was a different story in the old church as there was no way of discretely getting in and out. In that building late arrivals were a bit of a problem, as one was treated to the groan, clip-clip-clip, squeak and bang everytime someone tried to creep in. However, as they had less "cover" in the old church there tended to be fewer of them.

The first chapel I served had carpet nailed to the edges of the doors so that anyone turning up late could get in without alerting the whole congregation. I used to have the sidesman leave a few pew doors open so that late arrivals would not have to wrestle with them.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And what is this regular lateness thing?

Does it really cause anyone any real problems? Its not like being late for some personal appointment, the worship will go on without you.
Indeed - and given how poor public transport on a Sunday is in this city, lateness if inevitable for some people unless they can afford a taxi every week.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having tried a few alternatives over the years in different places, I can agree with the view that there is no clear BEST or even RIGHT place to put the notices.

At our Communities, the notices have been moved from after the blessing and 'May the divine assistance remain with us...'. That way they are considered important but don't interrupt the flow of the liturgy. We then have our recessional hymn, the Angelus and then, picking up on the community aspects of the notices, the 'Sending Out of God's People' (never a dismissal, which either has or could be another thread):

Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.
In the name of Christ, Amen.

to which we have added, thanks to the British Baptists (from memory)

Our worship may now be over.
But our service now begins. Immediately!

Neat, flowing and picks up key aspects.

[ 31. July 2012, 08:15: Message edited by: emendator liturgia ]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016