homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is high Anglicanism still allowed to be fun? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Is high Anglicanism still allowed to be fun?
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Isn't part of the problem that the Evangelicals have most of the young 'uns

Nope.

More likely that Evangelicals have most of the money. And in the larger Anglican communion the Evangelicals have the larger provinces. So it doesn't matter where the next ABC's sympathies lie. He won't be able to go about pissing off the Evangelicals in the same way that an Evangelical is, regrettably, able to piss off the catholics or liberals.

Rowan was never as liberal as his detractors made out anyway, I've noticed some Evangelical sympathies in his speeches. He is as close to the centre of Anglicanism as any Archbishop has been. There's nothing to be alternative to.

I was thinking in terms of the fun element rather than the ABC element when I made that comment.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent Alert
It's a long term pity, and a mark of one of the CofE's failings, that people think it's more important that the next Archbishop belongs to the same faction as themselves, than that he is a person who combines in the same person, wisdom, leadership and holiness.

By the way, according to Radio Bristol yesterday, the name of the new Archbishop is to be announced tomorrow.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Tangent Alert
It's a long term pity, and a mark of one of the CofE's failings, that people think it's more important that the next Archbishop belongs to the same faction as themselves, than that he is a person who combines in the same person, wisdom, leadership and holiness.

By the way, according to Radio Bristol yesterday, the name of the new Archbishop is to be announced tomorrow.

I think there are significant numbers of people, in all factions, who struggle to believe that he could combine those qualities if he's not of their faction. After all, all people who are right, wise and holy agree with me by definition, don't they? [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How can this be, since the Crown Commission meets on Wednesday and Thursday this week to do as last bit of praying before deciding?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

How can this be, since the Crown Commission meets on Wednesday and Thursday this week to do as last bit of praying before deciding?
No idea. I was only half listening with the programme on in the background, when I suddenly heard this odd statement, and thought, 'how do they claim to know?'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Indeed. I suppose I can see why they do it, and on the whole the results have been acceptable - with the glaring exception of George Carey, though IIRC there wasn't really anybody very obvious, Evangelical or not, in the frame when ++Runcie went- David Hope was a bit young (and A-C), John Habgood a bit old. Was David Sheppard considered? There was some talk then of ++Robin Eames (Armagh), but I don't know how serious a possibility this was.

In my fantasy alternate universe Jim Thompson was appointed in place of George Carey, but that's doubtless rather implausible as he was only a diocesan Bishop after the latter was appointed to Canterbury.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Returning from the misty Isles of Tangent, in my benefice one of the retired clergy wishes to have a requiem for a recently, and dearly missed, departed relative. He fondly remembers the excting days of the late Canon B F Brindley, but feared that the days of Anglo Catholic ebullience had passed, to be replaced with euro tat.

Since a good number of the clergy, retired, NSM and otherwise, are of the High persuasion, this has led to much joy; surprising perhaps in what could be a dismal time?

The fraternal nature of the clergy chapter has led to a steady stream of those who want to help, with increasingly excited ideas with regard to ritual and ceremonial.

This could be vacant, vain and empty, but here it just isn't.

The desire is very much to support and to serve our friend and to worship our God, both with joy in times of hardship. This has put a smile on the face of the bereaved and reinvigorated the elderly retired who are looking forward to donning the black requiem vestments with much glee.

Daft? You might think so, but it's good, old High Anglican joy which filters through. We now have a queue for the sacred ministers...I'm going to MC so steaming handbags at the ready, here we come!

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

No idea. I was only half listening with the programme on in the background, when I suddenly heard this odd statement, and thought, 'how do they claim to know?'.
Well, it's past 1100, when such announcements are made.

Radio Bristol isn't the most prestigious of outfits - after all, they've had me on it several times over the years!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
I started attending an AC church about 7 or 8 years ago because of its liberal theology, being tired of the Jensenite agenda on offer nearly everywhere else. I must say I don't see fun being had at all in my AC parish, they take themselves very seriously and IME are actually much less fun than many of their con-evo counterparts.

I had noticed, over the years, both in Sydney and up here, an almost complete lack of any sense of humour in these circles.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Evangeline and Sir Pellinore:

You should come down south, where we will give you all the bells and smells, sound preaching, warm acceptance and laughter that you could possibly want.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
To Evangeline and Sir Pellinore:

You should come down south, where we will give you all the bells and smells, sound preaching, warm acceptance and laughter that you could possibly want.

Oooh that sounds very enticing, Melbournians are often telling me I should move south, perhaps they're onto something.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you can't get to Marvellous Melbourne at the moment, keep the liturgical flag flying in whatever Catholic oasis you can find in the desert.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having grown up and been educated in Melbourne and visiting occasionally I am unsure whether, beneath the pizazz, the same sort of deep malaise may not exist.

The Anglican Communion is going through a difficult time and I think that uncertainty is evident in ordinary people.

Christians are not necessarily meant to be happy in the normal 21st Century sense but to experience the deep, abiding Joy that Easter represents. I think we sometimes confute the two.

--------------------
Well...

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

It is true that Anglicans have much to be concerned about at international, national and even diocesan levels, but I think that in the parishes we can have some relief. Certainly we are Easter people, and the joy of the Resurrection informs – or should inform - all that we are and all that we do.

I don’t mean that we should go about like Pollyanna - we may still grumble about schismatic dioceses and weak bishops and tedious synods - but at least in contributing to the life of the parish we should be cheerful in doing what we do, remembering that ‘God loveth a cheerful giver’ (and – I hope – a cheerful and loving clergy and people).

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is true that Anglicans have much to be concerned about at international, national and even diocesan levels, but I think that in the parishes we can have some relief. Certainly we are Easter people, and the joy of the Resurrection informs – or should inform - all that we are and all that we do.

I don’t mean that we should go about like Pollyanna - we may still grumble about schismatic dioceses and weak bishops and tedious synods - but at least in contributing to the life of the parish we should be cheerful in doing what we do, remembering that ‘God loveth a cheerful giver’ (and – I hope – a cheerful and loving clergy and people).

Quite so, if we can't be joyful as we go about celebrating the resurrection and "being Christian" in our daily lives then we might as well give up altogether. It's easier said than done though, but I'd like to see "us" try.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

I think, Evangeline, sometimes "we" try too hard and erect a false front which might be so convincing we even deceive ourselves. Self-knowledge is a dangerous thing. As T S Eliot said "Human kind cannot bear very much reality".

Certainly, when I was in Sydney at the parish now christened St Doc's, there seemed to be an undercurrent of unease. Given the parish and parishioners' odds with the archdiocese that was no shock but most of them - a generalization I know - seemed not to be genuinely happy.

In my penultimate parish up here the emphasis seemed to be a sort of surface "pastoral care" which didn't really touch the depths of people's needs.

One of the problems Australian Anglo-Catholics - another broad generalization - seem to have to me is a penchant for concentrating on externals and a total ignoring of their Shadow side, which I think needs to be brought into consciousness for them to be fully alive and function as a genuine human beings with depth and feeling.

I think this search eventually has to become an individual one: one I think many people are unwilling to take because it appears too frightening. Sadly there are few genuine mentors around. The genuine, deep, feeling Christian mystic tradition appears all but lost in contemporary Australian Anglicanism. The Christian Meditation Movement, often substituted for it, is a shallow and unsatisfactory one.

Group worship is necessary but no substitute for working quietly on oneself. They both need to come together for a church or Church to be alive.

--------------------
Well...

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Interesting and thought provoking post Sir P, I think you may be right I have found a certain aridity about St Docs, hard to put my finger on but I think perhaps it is that focus on corporate worship and symbols etc at the expense (rather than in conjunction with) of quietly working on yourself and your relationship with God. It seems to flow on to relationships within the church too...

I too long for somewhere to engage in the mystic tradition, I don't see it anywhere in Australian Christianity, perhaps we're all just too much into instant gratification.

PS. For interests sake, how long ago were you at St Docs?

[ 27. September 2012, 23:50: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

I was at St Doc's when Michael Nixon was Rector, Evangeline. That's going back a good 20 years.

--------------------
Well...

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

Quoting Sir Pellinore:

‘. . . a sort of surface "pastoral care" which didn't really touch the depths of people's needs. . . .. . . most of them - a generalization I know - seemed not to be genuinely happy. . . . for concentrating on externals and a total ignoring of their Shadow side . . .’

I do note that you are talking in general terms, and I am very much aware that I am limited in personal experience, because my commitment for more than sixty years – apart from occasional overseas jaunts - has been made to the one parish. I can only suppose that my fellow parishioners and I have led something of a charmed life.

Much further up the thread Leo wrote:

I am still wondering what the connection between high anglicanism and 'fun' is. 'Fun' strikes me as being about 'entertainment' or of 'making light of' something. . . . The catholic tradition might have flashy robes but it also invites us to regular self-examination and confession, fasting and almsgiving.

Well, if ‘fun’ is too flippant a word, how about ‘cheerful enjoyment’?

Admittedly I would prefer to describe our vestments as ‘not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy’, and I don’t know that we would be highly rated for fasting, but we do attend to self-examination, and very much – I believe – to almsgiving and other works of charity.

I don’t want to labour the point, but for at least some Anglo-Catholics it is by no means either a butterfly existence or a life of gloomy disillusion.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

Our reactions to most things tend to be entirely subjective, Laud-able. "One man's meat ..."

Whilst not gainsaying anything you've said I think there are many who keep on moving out of the revolving doors of various churches determined not to return.

I do think there is an enormous lack of genuine spiritual depth in Anglicanism in this country. It's that spiritual depth which breeds saints and grows churches. On current figures I think Anglicans are maintaining the situation with the laager.

--------------------
Well...

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

With regard to the 'revolving doors', is it perhaps that some people look upon the church (whatever it might be) as a kind of shop - that is, a place to be avoided if it doesn't answer their immediate needs - rather than a community to which they must commit something before they can hope to receive anything in return?

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

I think people often come, or come back, sometimes for a considerable time, Laud-able and somehow (rightly or wrongly) find it isn't quite their cup of hemlock.

--------------------
Well...

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given my location, it is almost compulsory for me to be interested in the mystic tradition. I duly am, being a regular reader of and meditator on the Revelations of Divine Love. The question is how to join that up with the rest of life, within the church and outside.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive the double posting, but my previous one has another half, which it almost implies. For me, the drama of liturgy and the deep calm of the mystic tradition are like inhaling and exhaling: neither lives happily without the other. If I go too long without contemplative prayer, I become spiritually undernourished, or the spiritual equivalent of diabetes sets in, owing to an excess of sugar with nothing to create balance; if I go too long without the beauty and drama of liturgy, everything starts to feel dull and excessively worthy.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Much further up the thread Leo wrote:

I am still wondering what the connection between high anglicanism and 'fun' is. 'Fun' strikes me as being about 'entertainment' or of 'making light of' something. . . . The catholic tradition might have flashy robes but it also invites us to regular self-examination and confession, fasting and almsgiving.

Well, if ‘fun’ is too flippant a word, how about ‘cheerful enjoyment’?

Admittedly I would prefer to describe our vestments as ‘not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy’, and I don’t know that we would be highly rated for fasting, but we do attend to self-examination, and very much – I believe – to almsgiving and other works of charity.

I don’t want to labour the point, but for at least some Anglo-Catholics it is by no means either a butterfly existence or a life of gloomy disillusion.

Good - I agree with this.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

I think FOS all traditional Western Christian mystics have been fully practicing members of the Church: Theresa of Avila; John of the Cross; Francis of Assisi etc.

It goes without saying.

My stated "worry" is that conventional Anglo-Catholic religiosity is not engendering this.

--------------------
Well...

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
Returning from the misty Isles of Tangent, in my benefice one of the retired clergy wishes to have a requiem for a recently, and dearly missed, departed relative. He fondly remembers the excting days of the late Canon B F Brindley, but feared that the days of Anglo Catholic ebullience had passed, to be replaced with euro tat.

Since a good number of the clergy, retired, NSM and otherwise, are of the High persuasion, this has led to much joy; surprising perhaps in what could be a dismal time?

The fraternal nature of the clergy chapter has led to a steady stream of those who want to help, with increasingly excited ideas with regard to ritual and ceremonial.

This could be vacant, vain and empty, but here it just isn't.

The desire is very much to support and to serve our friend and to worship our God, both with joy in times of hardship. This has put a smile on the face of the bereaved and reinvigorated the elderly retired who are looking forward to donning the black requiem vestments with much glee.

Daft? You might think so, but it's good, old High Anglican joy which filters through. We now have a queue for the sacred ministers...I'm going to MC so steaming handbags at the ready, here we come!

My God, is it possible for you to write a sentence not in the passive voice?
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  1. one wishes
  2. he remembers

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the sentences in that post seem to be in the active voice.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by sydney:
I find these attitudes to the English Missal incredible some would say ignorant. The English Missal was the old Tridentine Rite in English. If that is not centuries of use based on trained and schooled good taste I don't know what is.

I don't know what 'good taste' has to do either with liturgy or the subject of this thread. The 'fun' of anglo- (and most other sorts of) catholicism has always been its over-the-top-ness and exuberance which is miles apart from cathedral dignity. Both have their place of course.
. I'm afraid, however, that there is much A-C fun that is little more than bitchy, queeny, campy, elitist excess. I hope that strain is going the way of the Dodo, frankly.
Queeny and campy need not be synonymous with elitist or bitchy. It is that prejudice that I frankly wish would go the way of the Dodo

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore:
I think FOS all traditional Western Christian mystics have been fully practicing members of the Church: Theresa of Avila; John of the Cross; Francis of Assisi etc.

It goes without saying.

My stated "worry" is that conventional Anglo-Catholic religiosity is not engendering this.

The latter part of that chimes with my experience; sadly, therefore, it doesn't go without saying in the circles in which conventional A-C religiosity is practices.

--------------------

BulldogSacristan
Shipmate
# 11239

- Posted      Profile for BulldogSacristan   Email BulldogSacristan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At first glance, I don't see any sentences that in the passive voice?
Posts: 197 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016