homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » This is the Word of St Paul

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: This is the Word of St Paul
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might it not be argued that in those traditions where it is routine to say 'This is the Word of the Lord' after a reading - including Pauline epistles - the phrase 'This is the Word of St Paul' might be substituted instead?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a good idea! Not established as standard normal practice; also, the reader may be slow to recall that the passage is attributed to St. Paul. Consistancy would then be needed to name similarly books of the Bible not attributed to St. Paul.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following that "logic," one would never say, "The Word of the Lord," but always, "The Word of St. ______," "the Word of Holy Moses," "the Word of Holy Daniel," etc., as every book of scripture is historically attributed to a human author. (And even the identity of said human author may not be completely that of the named individual, but that is another story...) The result is chaos and confusion.

To me it sounds like an attempt to downgrade the status of scripture to merely human authority--particularly portions of scripture that one finds inconvenient or uncomfortable to apply.

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oxonian Ecclesiastic
Shipmate
# 12722

- Posted      Profile for Oxonian Ecclesiastic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a liturgical gathering, what is relevant is not a quasi-archeological concern for the identification of the human author of the verses read, but that God speaks through them. If these words are being read in the company of the baptised as part of the liturgical celebration, they cease to be simply the words of S. Paul (or whoever), but are, for us, the word of God – however much we may find ourselves recoiling from the words themselves!

Is this not the normal understanding, or am I being naïf again?

Posts: 174 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
... as every book of scripture is historically attributed to a human author...

Is it? Who wrote Hebrews, Ruth or 2 Kings?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Might it not be argued ... to say [rather] 'This is the Word of St Paul'...?

One could and one would be wrong.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Latin of the Roman rite says 'Verbum Dei' (or Domini?); I believe the latest English version simply says 'The Word of the Lord' without the 'This is.' It is a very subtle change but it somehow (to my mind anyway) takes the focus away from those particular words we have just heard, to the whole Bible in the context of which they need to be understood. Hence an improvement.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Operating under the documentary hypothesis, would we have to say "This is the Word of P" when reading the first chapter of Genesis?

I guess the congregation would get puzzled looks while thinking "Who the heck is P"?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
The Latin of the Roman rite says 'Verbum Dei' (or Domini?); I believe the latest English version simply says 'The Word of the Lord' without the 'This is.' It is a very subtle change but it somehow (to my mind anyway) takes the focus away from those particular words we have just heard, to the whole Bible in the context of which they need to be understood. Hence an improvement.

I gather some denominations use the words "For the word of the Lord ..."

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Correct, though saying only "The Word of the Lord" is not a result of the recent new translation; it came into effect in 1994.
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Well, Hebrews was St. Paul's epistle to that group. Ruth has traditionally been attributed to the prophet Samuel, and 2 Kings to the prophet Jeremiah. We realize that these may not be completely that, but these are the traditional authors. [Angel]
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard, 'This is the Word of St. Paul', used after a reading, but only when the the reader is female and has been landed with I Timothy 2:11-15.

I may have been that reader.

Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that in the lectionary?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Hebrews was St. Paul's epistle to that group.
Er, debatable?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did wonder when it was given to me, but my then vicar did have a very individual sense of humour.
Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've regularly heard "For the word of the Lord ... Thanks be to God" at one Anglican church with a liturgically minded priest and member of the Fed of Cath Priests.

I'm not sure what I think about it.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

quote:
quote:

Well, Hebrews was St. Paul's epistle to that group. Ruth has traditionally been attributed to the prophet Samuel, and 2 Kings to the prophet Jeremiah. We realize that these may not be completely that, but these are the traditional authors. [Angel]
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever happened to "Here end(s) the lesson."?

The Prayerbook has much to recommend for the sake of simplicity. When the reader ends the reading, I don't think it is absolutely necessary to make an emphatic statement about the authority/lack of authority of a given text. All that is needed is a signal that the reading has concluded.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I've regularly heard "For the word of the Lord ... Thanks be to God" at one Anglican church with a liturgically minded priest and member of the Fed of Cath Priests.

I'm not sure what I think about it.

That's wrong.

What I've heard is "For the gift of the Word ... Thanks be to God"

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
All that is needed is a signal that the reading has concluded.

Which can just as easily be given by the reader stopping reading and walking away from the lectern.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whatever happened to "Here end(s) the lesson."?

I'm not sure whether all non-Gospel books are lessons.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am trying at our place to inculcate the practice of a brief pause at the end of the readings, i.e. before the reader says 'This is the Word of the Lord'.

I am also trying (subtly) to introduce brief periods of silence elsewhere in the Mass, but that's another story.......blame my reading of The Blessed Richard Giles' various books..... [Devil]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Which can just as easily be given by the reader stopping reading and walking away from the lectern.
They do that at a monastery I visit, at least for the readings at the Offices. I like it: the final words of the reading can resonate in the church and in our minds. They do say "The Word of the Lord/Thanks be to God" at Mass as required.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

Not for mass but it is in the C of E Evensong lessons - I preached on it once and tried to show how Paul was ahead of him time in asking husbands to love their wives and parents to respect their children.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
Might it not be argued that in those traditions where it is routine to say 'This is the Word of the Lord' after a reading - including Pauline epistles - the phrase 'This is the Word of St Paul' might be substituted instead?

If calling it the Word of the Lord is too problematic, why not use "Hear what the Spirit is saying to God's people"? IMO, this actually says the same thing: the Word of the Lord is Jesus, but also what God speaks to the assembly through the Holy Spirit when the Scriptures are proclaimed. But if wording it that way ("Hear what the Spirit...") presents less of a stumbling block to a particular congregation, it will help them to open themselves to the text. IMO, Scriptures are like Jacob's angel: we wrestle with them until they bless us, and we walk off with a limp (but also a transformed identity).

quote:
quote:

Even if we don't know who the authors are, we still can safely assume them to have been human, I should think!

quote:
[qb]They do that at a monastery I visit, at least for the readings at the Offices. I like it: the final words of the reading can resonate in the church and in our minds. They do say "The Word of the Lord/Thanks be to God" at Mass as required.

This is our practice precisely at the cathedral where I work.

It's not clear to me, though, which ending should be used in a wedding or funeral that does not include Communion. Any suggestions?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"The Word of the Lord" is a direct translation from the Latin which is what the revised English text in the Roman Rite is all about. It also exactly translates with the French, German, Italian & Spanish texts, etc. Thus (quoted from memory) "Verbum Domini" is the Latin translation.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

To amplify what I have said above, the versions of "The Word of the Lord" in other languages (quoted from memory) are as follows:-

"Parole de Dieu." (Fr.); "Wort Gottes." (Ger.); "Parola di Dio." (It.); "Palabra de Dios." (Sp.).

It will be seen that "This is..." does not occur.

BTW On my travels overseas, I have heard in English-speaking Anglican churches, "Hear the Word of the Lord." as translated locally.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

So is the original Domini (the Lord) or Dei (God/Dieu/Dio etc)?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Latin of the Roman Rite is "Verbum Domini" (Lord). I can't verify the versions in other languages, I'm afraid.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

The revised English-vernacular translation as adopted in the Roman Rite last year, was a "tidying-up" process to get back more accurately to the authorised Latin text. It was felt that the English "free" rather than "literal" English translation had served us well in the decades since Vatican2, but that the time had come for a re-think.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

How about "For cutesy tinkering with the liturgy...Thanks but no thanks."

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
To amplify what I have said above, the versions of "The Word of the Lord" in other languages (quoted from memory) are as follows:-

"Parole de Dieu." (Fr.); "Wort Gottes." (Ger.); "Parola di Dio." (It.); "Palabra de Dios." (Sp.).

It will be seen that "This is..." does not occur.

Of course, these all are "The word of God" (or the necessarily more direct German "God's word), even though all of those languages do indeed have words for "Lord."
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

I am open to correction but so far, no shipmate has done so; though I am virtually certain that these are the correct versions in each of the languages, as far as my information goes.

"God" versus "Lord" - again this is a matter of "free" or "literal" translation in each of the languages.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

I have now done my checking up from my printed versions of the texts in other languages. With otherwise no corrections to make, I see the text in German should read as follows:-

"Wort des lebendigen Gottes" - Word of the living God.

I have never come across that in this context in any other language. This is a new point of consideration if there are any takers.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I have now done my checking up from my printed versions of the texts in other languages. With otherwise no corrections to make, I see the text in German should read as follows:-

"Wort des lebendigen Gottes" - Word of the living God.

I have never come across that in this context in any other language. This is a new point of consideration if there are any takers.

I've experienced this while watching televised Masses on zdf.de - and I like it. My initial thoughts were that it gives the versicle some length. "The Word of the Lord" by itself would be simply "Wort des Herrn." Might be missed if someone coughs.

But I do like the content of the German version as well.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The phrasing "this is the word of the lord" strikes me a problematic, just as at communion if it is said "this is the body of Christ". There is something wrong with both in my view, with the "this is". It makes it specific and almost an idolatry, but I don't know how to quite name the problem.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
[QUOTE]"The Word of the Lord" by itself would be simply "Wort des Herrn." Might be missed if someone coughs.

Some of us can't tell the difference between a phrase in German and a cough. [Biased]

--------------------

uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I have understood the function of the lessons at worship is as a living address by God to each individual. An address which calls for a response. That's why one person might "hear" something in a reading that someone else doesn't hear.
Kind of along the lines of Hebrews 4:12

"Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword."

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016