homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Personal jewelry on clergy when serving (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Personal jewelry on clergy when serving
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

My bracelet reference finds its origin in a visit to a TEC outlet in Florida where an assisting priest had at least two or three bracelets, all fairly large, sliding down her arms and requiring frequent adjusting. The bracelets matched her earrings. The difficulty comes when we have to decide over what is large and gargantuan. Judging by this cleric's Tammy Bakker-like approach to makeup, she likely felt that her jewelry was subtle and restrained. Wondering if a bit of gilt and carved plastic will be shooting into the chalice distracted me-- but I have a notoriously rickety attention span.

This may just be a cultural difference -- in the South folks tend to expect their women of God to dress like that (as they expect their men of God to dress like Mr. Bakker). Kind of like how here in Oregon we expect our ordained leaders to be wearing messenger bags and vegan shoes.

The only place I've ever been where jewelery on the worship staff was not only approved, but encouraged, was amongst our siblings in Christ who followed a Name It And Claim It theology. There, they were judged not to be worthy if God hadn't blessed them with an abundance of gold, diamonds, and expensive timepieces.

Most of those commenting here (I presume) are from the kinds of churches where a preacher rolling up in a brand new Mercedes Benz (or even a slightly newer station wagon) is greeted with suspicion and a suggestion the parish Treasurer take a look at the books. Ostentatiousness isn't exactly what we look for in our clergy.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my case that would be turn up on a new push bike!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
[QUOTE] a preacher rolling up in a brand new Mercedes Benz (or even a slightly newer station wagon) is greeted with suspicion and a suggestion the parish Treasurer take a look at the books. Ostentatiousness isn't exactly what we look for in our clergy.

I'm the owner of the oldest rustist car in the car park (17 years old). Does that fit the bill?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
[QUOTE] a preacher rolling up in a brand new Mercedes Benz (or even a slightly newer station wagon) is greeted with suspicion and a suggestion the parish Treasurer take a look at the books. Ostentatiousness isn't exactly what we look for in our clergy.

I'm the owner of the oldest rustist car in the car park (17 years old). Does that fit the bill?
I don't honestly care what you drive, whether you're the President or the preacher. I have heard others get sniffly about the priest's mode de transportacion, though, at which point I usually play my Portland trump card, "I don't own a car."

(Really, though, when your priest has kids, I'd rather the priest be driving something new-ish because, you know, airbags.)

[ 03. September 2012, 05:32: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016