homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » O Oriens: reassessing eastward position (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: O Oriens: reassessing eastward position
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angloid - just had a thought.

Perhaps Philadelphia Cathedral as building faces North or South? In which case the new altar faces East or West.

I doubt it though.

I think I'll give up this board for Lent and study some serious commentaries and theology.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even if it does, it was clearly designed with its own 'internal' orientation as it were. Not a very good reason IMHO for going against that with a re-ordering. Though maybe the good Dean Giles (and I don't share the general distaste of ecclesiantophiles for him and his works) had good reasons of his own.

There was a fashion in a few places some years ago to re-order gothic or neo-gothic churches in a way which violated the structure of the building. Putney parish church did this (though it is a very 'neo' gothic church in that it has more of a classical plan), and I know of a RC church in north Liverpool that did too, though I think they have reverted.) Classical buildings - especially the 'squarer' preaching houses - are often more amenable to this sort of thing. But a basilican type church with an apse, like Philadelphia cathedral, has a very strong dynamic of its own and it is confusing and distracting to go against it.

That said, I like the absence of clutter. And the furniture is movable so no harm done.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
That said, I like the absence of clutter. And the furniture is movable so no harm done.

When I see radical "declutterings" like that one, though, I get a sad sense that "there used to be a lot more going on here" and that all that's left is but a muted remnant.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a season to be cluttered, and a season to do away with all the clutter. [Smile] (or perhaps more to the point, horses for courses or it's a good job we're not all alike)

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Angloid - just had a thought.

Perhaps Philadelphia Cathedral as building faces North or South? In which case the new altar faces East or West.

I doubt it though.

I think I'll give up this board for Lent and study some serious commentaries and theology.

The cathedral is correctly oriented. However, the arrangement in the photograph isn't typical . Generally the (enormous) ambo is at the west end and the (rather tiny) altar is nearer the east end in front of the presbytery. The cathedral has a rather small congregation except for diocesan services.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

When I see radical "declutterings" like that one, though, I get a sad sense that "there used to be a lot more going on here" and that all that's left is but a muted remnant.
I agree.

I am not opposed to the sort of configuration which Dean Giles supports.*

That said, it works best when incorporated into the design of a new church. In Philadelphia Cathedral, particularly in the configuration linked in the above picture, it seems rather empty.

*In fact, I rather like this new-ish Roman Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Chicago.

I also like the very flexible configuration of St. Benedict the African Church, Chicago, which at times has had the altar-opposite-ambo configuration. (This was the best pic I could find.

I even like the octagonal St. John's Lutheran, Atlanta, although I don't so much like the idea of kneeling for prayer while half the congregation is looking directly at me.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016