homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tat on Tippets (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tat on Tippets
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On another social media site I got into a bit of a scrap with a priest of TEC over a photo showing seals/crests sewn onto the cleric's tippet high up at upper chest level. During the ensuing discussion, this cleric further informed me that there were two more crests sewn onto the ends of the tippet.

I realise that the seal of the institution where the priest received his/her theological degree is sometimes sewn onto the end of one side of the tippet, and you occasionally see seals on both ends. I don't believe IRL I have ever seen seals at chest level and certainly never four seals adorning the tippet (in this case the two upper ones were of the priest's parish church and diocese, and the two at the ends of two different academic institutions.

My own impression: that makes for a tacky tippet. The tippet isn't a scout sash for the display of merit badges, for goodness sake. IMO it looks best as a somber black scarf contrasting with the pure white of a full English surplice. Seals break up this somber, classic colour scheme, which isn't to my mind very desirable aesthetically. I would also think that when officiating a burial in surplice and scarf, one really wouldn't want to be displaying university crests on the scarf.

I know there was an old thread on tippet issues - I reviewed some of it yesterday, and saw references to horrid decorations on tippets.

What do Ecclesianticans think of tat on tippets? Are you for it or agin' it? Should such decorations be restricted to institutional seals on the ends only? One end? Both ends? Put them anywhere and everywhere?

And do any of you blue scarf wearers decorate your reader's tippet?

Finally, let's try to see what practice is most prevalent in different provinces,e.g. TEC v. CofE, etc.

Sadly, St Percy doesn't seem to address this specific issue.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scarves should be plain black or blue - an exception might be a diocesan crest for canons to wear (as i used to see when i lived in Salisbury diocese).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Leo. My view exactly.

I have a bad feeling that tatty tippets may be a distinctly colonial affliction. But let's see.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember somebody (?Sebby?) saying service chaplains are improperly addressed if their scarves do not carry regimental badges and correct medal ribbons. I've certainly seen clergy who have carried this over into civilian life.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

I find the wearing of service ribbons on the upper left side of the tippet, at least outside of a proper military context, rather horrid. I knew one parish priest who did that on the rare occasions he wore a black scarf (same guy who on certain high holy days had the flags of the USA, Great Britain, Texas, and TEC processed up the nave and into the sanctuary where two each of the banners habitually lived on the north and south ends inside the rails). Another priest of my acquaintance who would never dream of doing such a thing recalls his upbringing in a surprisingly low church Midwestern diocese in which his parish priest wore service ribbons on the tippet (which was apparently worn for the celebration of ye Lorde's Supper) on national days. Falls just short of a projectile vomit emoticon IMO.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like a photo I saw yesterday. The cleric was blessing children so the big honking emblems were hanging at the same height as their little faces. It was very distracting. I am only offering an inexperienced opinion on this one, but I think such obvious personalization is out of place. Even if it's a parish or diocesan symbol. It seems, I don't know ... partisan? I can't quite find the word for it but it seems to be making particular in a place that should be about the universal.

(Massive cross-post. I can understand a different need in the case of a military chaplain or perhaps a hospital chaplain, where some kind of identifying emblem may be necessary.)

[ 14. September 2012, 13:37: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I used to know an ex Vulcan pilot who, ordained in later life (not as a service chaplain), wore the RAF badge on his scarf. Can't remember any medal ribbons, but don't even know whether he had any. There's Betjemans' 'Our Padre', isn't there- 'still he has a hearty handshake/ still he wears his medals and a stole'.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May be a pond thing here about medal ribbons, too. After all, most British chaplains/ ex-service clergy would be likely to have perhaps one comparatively discreet row of ribbons, even given the many medal-gaining opportunities that Mr Blair & Mr Brown provided: whereas every US serviceman I've ever seen a picture of who has any medals at all seems to be toting something the size of a 200g bar of chocolate on his left breast.

[ 14. September 2012, 13:47: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a sizeable minority of evangelical clergy here in England who delight in having (usually rather tacky) religious motifs embroidered on their black scarf. It's the sort of thing that would be acceptable, liturgically if not on taste grounds, on a stole but seems quite out of place on a scarf. If they object to the principle of coloured stoles it seems illogical. Anyone care to defend this practice?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thinking about that, if it's not OK to have badges, emblems etc on a black scarf, why is it OK to have them on a coloured stole? Logic would suggest either that a black scarf actually should have a Bible, a psalter or some similar emblem embroidered on the end of it, or a stole should not have a cross, dove, martyrs crown or whatever.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is not my point. Leaving aside the tastefulness or otherwise of such emblems, the fact is that evangelicals have traditionally been resistant to wearing stoles, decorated or not. They have preferred the unadorned black scarf as the ministerial badge of office which does not imply a special 'priestly' status. If some people have now taken to ornamenting scarves to look like stoles, doesn't that blur the distinction?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that I will join in the majority opinion and say that it's a bit silly to put 'stuff' on tippets. Be that as it may, it makes that rather dour item look a little less forbidding and black, so I'm not inclined to become too grumpy about it. Although maybe I'm only saying that because it's a Friday afternoon and the sun is shining!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My tippet is plain black. Some might feel that against a black cassock and black gown, it is too dour but I see no problem. After all I do have bands and the white of my hood to brighten it up slightly! [Smile]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
My tippet is plain black. Some might feel that against a black cassock and black gown, it is too dour but I see no problem. After all I do have bands and the white of my hood to brighten it up slightly! [Smile]

Maybe the darkness of the tippet is God's way of telling His ministers to get PhD's so they can have a nice bit of scarlet to lighten the tone!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

In the debate I had with the cleric in question, they asserted that the tippet is essentially an academic garment and therefore it was no big deal to stick various institutional and academic insignia on it. My understanding, however, is that the scarf may possibly have developed from the wings of old style academic hoods, but this explanation isn't conclusive and besides, tippets are not worn in modern ecclesiastical usage as academic regalia, but as part of clerical choir habit (though you rarely see Anglo-Catholic clergy wearing the tippet for offices). +Robert Mercer, sometime Bishop of Matabeleland, pointed out once that the chimere is thought to have developed from a medieval Spanish riding cloak; I would say, by way of analogy, that we don't therefore add various equestrian bits and bobs to the bishop's choir-and-court outfit. If the chimere was once a riding cloak, that really is irrelevant to its use for the last several centuries -- same goes for the tippet.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly!

ETA: Response to dj_ordinaire

[ 14. September 2012, 15:45: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The older handbooks say tippets should have nothing on them at all, because they are simply an extension of the academic hood. In other words, you shouldn't wear one without a hood.

From a style point of view, where do you stop?! You can't wear badges for every damn thing you belong to, or it becomes a joke.

What I don't quite get is UK cathedral clergy wearing the arms of the diocese rather than those of the cathedral, implying other diocesan clergy are somehow not as good!

Medal ribbons on tippets have a long and honourable history. In the UK, they will tend to be few. Even if not strictly correct, well you wouldn't tell a soldier not the wear them, would you?

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
... I don't believe IRL I have ever seen seals at chest level ...

What do Ecclesianticans think of tat on tippets? Are you for it or agin' it?

And do any of you blue scarf wearers decorate your reader's tippet?

Finally, let's try to see what practice is most prevalent in different provinces,e.g. TEC v. CofE, etc.

Sadly, St Percy doesn't seem to address this specific issue.

The clergy (and lay canons even) of Washington Cathedral wear the seal of the cathedral on the upper left chest of their tippets. I think something similar may be done at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco.

Personally, I detest the practice of affixing
anything to a tippet. It's a horrid custom. Tippets, properly, should be plain black, and that includes those of armed forces chaplains. I don't care what forces regulations say. A chaplain's tippet should properly plain black without any tat or (horreur!) ribbon bars or medals. What is this, the Boy Scouts?!

In the The Episcopal Church, USA, lay readers have generally never worn tippets of blue or any other color. I personally think the blue tippet of C of E readers is a silly custom.

No, no. St. Percy said a great deal if you read carefully. Percy never, even in his wildest nightmares, considered tippets to have tat sewn or pinned on them. I'm sure if he did see such he looked away in another direction in complete revulsion, to avoid an occasion of sin. Actually, Percy did say that tippets should always be folded to fit the neck, He did not approve of sewing down the pleats at the neck. He also said that the plain black tippet of dignitaries, such as bishops, deans, archdeacons or canons, should be of black silk, nine inches wide. The tippets of lower orders of the clergy should be made of black "stuff" (fine wool or serge) and six inches wide.

Tippets are like the little black cocktail dress. Don't add anything and leave well enough alone.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

Bravo Mr Rob! It might interest you to know that I have run across on on-line official document from the Diocese of South Dakota (or North Dakota. - can't recall which) that prescribes black tippets for licensed readers. I know that Percy has a lot to say on the specifications of tippets but he never mentions the issue of any adornment upon them, so you are likely correct that he didn't even contemplate the possibility of such a thing.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
Tippets are like the little black cocktail dress. Don't add anything and leave well enough alone.

Why, Mr. Rob. Every lady knows you wear a tasteful string of pearls with your LBD. Not that I'd sew them on a tippet, mind you.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

Why, Mr. Rob. Every lady knows you wear a tasteful string of pearls with your LBD. Not that I'd sew them on a tippet, mind you.
I had the same thought, but I think that's what the white of the surplice achieves against the foreground of the little black cocktail scarf.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Acn someone help me. Tippets are always black (or blue for readers in the C of E), while the stole is in the colour appropriate to the season. What other differences are there please, and how do they differ to scarves? I think of tippets as being shaped across the back, so that the centre curves down to a point. Is this correct please?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Acn someone help me. Tippets are always black (or blue for readers in the C of E), while the stole is in the colour appropriate to the season. What other differences are there please, and how do they differ to scarves? I think of tippets as being shaped across the back, so that the centre curves down to a point. Is this correct please?

Well first of all, stoles and tippets are different things. Since that is the case, they should not be substituted for each other. As others here have pointed out, tippets are really more in the category of academic regalia formerly worn by a variety of those with learning and academic credentials, of course including clerks in Holy Orders. Tippets are now worn only by clerics and Commonwealth high court judges. They are always black, and there is no "point" at the back of the neck. Also, tippets most properly should not be shaped or sewn flat at the neck but merely folded over for comfort and neat appearance.

A stole is a vestment proper to those in Holy Orders alone as a sign of authority. Deacons wear the stole on the left shoulder, while priests and bishops wear the stole over both shoulders around the neck. It is the stole's placement around the neck of priests and bishops that give it that pendant similarity to tippets. But tippets are a sign of the dignity of Holy Orders or a Commonwealth judge robed on the bench in court. To confuse matters a bit further, ordained deacons wear the tippet around both shoulders, the neck, just like priests and bishops do.

Stoles are properly worn for sacraments and sacramental acts. Stoles, most properly, are made of fine material or silk in the verious liturgical colors. Tippets, always black, are worn as part of choir dress for the divine office and other acts of public worship. Anglican clergy, with some few other robed, English tradition, Protestant clergy, are surely the only ones left in the world who wear tippets .... except for those blue reader's tippets. Who invented those blue things, anyway? Someone at a desk in Church House, Westminster, with nothing better to do?

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Mr Rob, I know the differences in usage etc, and as I said, the colour. But what is the physical difference otherwise? If I see them hanging up on a rack, what's the difference between a black funeral stole and a black tippet?

BTW, judges here do not wear tippets, just gowns and sometimes wigs as well -this depends on the court and the matter being heard.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW, judges here do not wear tippets, just gowns and sometimes wigs as well -this depends on the court and the matter being heard.

Gee D, are you sure about that: the item may be called a scarf rather than a tippet, but I seem to recall that Judges of the Supreme Courts of the States and Territories of Australia wear on formal occasions a red scarlet robe with white fur facings, bands or a jabot, a black scarf and girdle and a scarlet casting-hood, with a full-bottomed wig.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] this thread could almost be called tippety tat - oh and tatty tippet is quite a good tonguetwister [/tangent]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Thanks Mr Rob, I know the differences in usage etc, and as I said, the colour. But what is the physical difference otherwise? If I see them hanging up on a rack, what's the difference between a black funeral stole and a black tippet?

Yes, I should have said tippets (black scarf) are still worn by judges in some Commonwealth countries.

You know Gee D, Google is your friend, and most all of the information you want about stoles v tippets can easy be found on the web. Wikipedia is a great source of information on such things.

Begin here with Wikipedia on Stoles. See the tippet link. There are lots of photos.

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

I had the same thought, but I think that's what the white of the surplice achieves against the foreground of the little black cocktail scarf.
Exactly!

A nice, white surplice provides the same contrast as the nice, white pearls. As the clothing catalogs say:

"Timeless. Traditional. Classic. Elegant Simplicity."

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plain, with nothing on them. If possible, they're worse than "personalised" stoles.

Once, I saw someone wearing a tippet with an amice, a real alb and a girdle.

I myself have had to catch myself from kissing it when donning and doffing it.

For some reason some priests seem to like wearing them for blessings or for ecumenical dos where nothing more than a clerical suit would suffice. I just have to roll my eyes, take a breath and move on when I see things
Iike that.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

... Once, I saw someone wearing a tippet with an amice, a real alb and a girdle ...

I've heard such tales.

I think it was someone on the Ship who mentioned a tippet worn with a cassock alb, and I know I've heard here of English lay readers wearing those awful blue tippets with albs.

Unless I take one of my magic pills I won't get good rest tonight at the recollection of such distressful stories.

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

I believe our Ken has been known to mix cassock-alb with blue scarf.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Mr Rob, but well before I posted I had looked at the sites of various clerical supplies in both the US and Uk, as well as Wikipedia; no better informed than I had been before looking. Alas, there are no suppliers in Sydney where I can see the items side by side and compare.

--------------------

Kayarecee
Apprentice
# 17289

- Posted      Profile for Kayarecee   Email Kayarecee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I see them hanging up on a rack, what's the difference between a black funeral stole and a black tippet?

My understanding, as a non-tippet-wearing Lutheran who occasionally worships with occasionally-tippet-wearing Episcopalians, is that the stole is made of, for want of a better word, fancier fabric - usually damask silk, or a faux version thereof, often has decorative embroidery at the ends and usually a cross embroidered in the middle. It may or may not be tapered and/or come to a point in the middle, so that it drapes better around the neck of its wearer, and often has fringe at the bottoms of the ends. By contrast, a tippet has no fringe, no embroidery,* is made of ordinary fabric (usually either wool or some sort of synthetic blend, but basically of the same kind of fabric a cassock is made of), and is not countoured; it's just a long black rectangular scarf.

*"no embroidery" of course, with the aforementioned diocesan or educational-institution seals notwithstanding, but even if one were to encounter a sealed tippet hanging in a sacristy, the embroidered seal should be fairly easy to distinguish from the kinds of symbols which usually adorn stoles.

Posts: 25 | From: The Cornfields | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Welcome, Kayarcee, to the Ship of Fools and to the Ecclesiantics board. There's a general Welcome Newbies thread in All Saints if you feel so inclined. In any case, enjoy sailing with us.

Mamacita, Ecclesiantics Host

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alas, there are no suppliers in Sydney where I can see the items side by side and compare.

Gee D, Church Stores in George Street have both tippets/scarfs and stoles on display or in stock for you to have a look at.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thank you both, Kayarcee and Emli, that's the info I was needing. It's the sort of difference between my stuff gown, and a QC's
/SC's silk. But of course, neither of them is embroidered with anything.

--------------------

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Thanks Mr Rob, but well before I posted I had looked at the sites of various clerical supplies in both the US and Uk, as well as Wikipedia; no better informed than I had been before looking. Alas, there are no suppliers in Sydney where I can see the items side by side and compare.

Not true Gee D, it took all of two minutes for me to find a photo of a tippet (scarf) worn with with a cassock and surplice in the CM Almy catalog.

CM Almy tippet - $89.00USD

Stoles took another minute.

CM Almy clergy stoles - various prices

If you want to buy any of this stuff, Almy ships world wide.

As shipmate Emendator Liturgia, suggests, stop by Church Stores, 2nd Floor of the Dymocks Bldg, 428 George St., Sydney. Phone: (02) 9233 2268. Toll free: 1-800-656-483. They will help you with both stoles and tippets (scarfs). There are also photos in their catalog website linked below.

Stoles and tippets (scarfs) at Church Stores, Sydney

Best of luck!

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Mr Rob, I had seen the Almy site, as well as Zeigler and others, and seen the sort of photos you note. But I could not see in them the sort of difference so well described by Kayarcee. Thos descriptions are what I had been seeking.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
...I've heard here of English lay readers wearing those awful blue tippets ...

What do Readers wear in the US then? Or doesn't it have them?

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wouldn't be too worried about blue scarves with cassock-albs in those places where cassock-albs are ubiquitous, but I have seen that plus an academic hood at Eucharistic services.

I believe that I have only seen Diocesan crests and military medals on tippets in Anglican environments, but I'm pretty sure I've seen more variety among non-conformists.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

"Lay Readers", as they have traditionally been called here, or "Licensed Readers", normally just wear cassock and surplice without a scarf. However, a few dioceses do authorise the tippet for readers. As I reported above, I've seen guidelines on-line from either North or South Dakota that mandate a black tippet for readers, and IIRC I've also seen or been told that at least one diocese in the Deep South (maybe an Alabama diocese)authorises tippets for lay readers. Readers would naturally be permitted use of the academic hood to which they would be entitled if they possess a post-graduate degree, though it is unusual to possess such an item unless one is on the faculty of a university and hence needing a hood and gown for the occasional academic procession and convocation. I'm not sure if blue readers' scarves are in authorised use anywhere in America. I am also aware from direct personal communication of an incident years ago in the Anglican Catholic Church in which +James Mote's representative to a congregation (Salt Lake City IIRC) ordered the congregation's reader to desist from use of the tippet, rather erroneously telling the reader that the tippet was "a priestly vestment". The tiff had a great deal more to it than tippets, but I relate it as an example of confusion over what in America is a little seen bit of ecclesiastical vesture.
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's what we do here. The vicar usually grumbles about it when he is in blue of Mary's colour and the Reader looks like a concelebrant.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

I remember from my year in the US deputising in the choir for a nearby Episcopal Church for a special Evensong (I forget the occasion now) and was surprised to see the seminarian assisting (whom I knew) in cassock, surplice and tippet. I asked her about it afterwards and she said that the rector had told her to as it looked better!

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:

And does the scarf look like this ?
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
quote:

That's what we do here. The vicar usually grumbles about it when he is in blue of Mary's colour and the Reader looks like a concelebrant.
I do not know why the vicar cannot be cornered in an alleyway and reminded that rose is Our Lady's colour in England, with the exception of a few RC outlets which enjoy the Spanish privilege of blue. While it might take a few blows to persuade him or her of the truth of this, it is surely better spiritually to be freed of a sentiment of resentment toward the reader.

If the reader only has an alb and cannot obtain or afford a cassock and surplice, would it be better for them to wear their alb/cassock-alb ungirdled and unamiced and unapparelled?

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Our vicar now wears a cassock-alb. When I dress up its black cassock and white surplice. With the scarf of course. A big baggy surplice with big baggy sleeves and a hem down by my ankles. Because I am a big baggy sort of bloke and would look even sillier in a little surplice.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

The 2009 edition of The Episcopal Church Canons, Title III, Canon 4. Of Licensed Ministries, has a long list of different licensed, lay ministries which can be performed. Among such is "Worship Leader." So the old term "lay reader" or "licensed reader" is no longer officially found or used in the USA national canons.

No mention in the national canons has ever been given of any particular vesture for these licensed lay functionaries. Black cassock and surplice have always been normally used by the licensed worship leader. The C of E blue reader's tippet has never been adopted by readers in the USA. Tales you may hear by Shipmates of allowed tippet use by licensed readers in the USA are, in my experience, quite exceptional and possibly apocryphal. Most Episcopalians would tend to view the use of a tippet, especially paired with an academic hood, as quite uppity for readers, to say the least.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
If the reader only has an alb and cannot obtain or afford a cassock and surplice, would it be better for them to wear their alb/cassock-alb ungirdled and unamiced and unapparelled?

Scarves look silly on proper albs, with or without apparrels. I wear mine with a cassockalb for the eucharist, with surplice and hood for offices.

As for what is affordable, we are expected to wear surplices and scarves in the cathedral - they wouldn't let us in with albs (or hoods if it is a sacramental service).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

Here are guidelines advocated by the US-based Society of St Vincent, the traditional guild for servers at the altar. Sorry the pdf was awkwardly posted turned sideways, but the bit on readers' vesture isn't very lengthy.
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

Diocese of Mississippi Guidelines for lay worship leaders licensed at the diocesan level. The black tippet is authorised for them and they are (horrors) to ornament the tippet with the crest of the diocese on the upper left side (over the heart).

I'm sure further searching would turn up more North American examples.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016