homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Religious Collectibles in Rome

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Religious Collectibles in Rome
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am hoping to go to Rome in the new year for a retreat, and I will be staying with some lovely sisters. While I am there I am hoping get as many religious collectibles as possible

I am looking for mainly vestments but also other collectibles, does anyone know of any churches in Rome that are looking to get rid of any vestments and are looking for someone to take them off their hands

Is it still possible for one to acquire relics without having to go through the long process, as I doubt they'd accept a letter from a CofE Bishop as a valid letter in the RC Church

--------------------
+In Nomine Patris Et Filio Sancti

Posts: 38 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

- Posted      Profile for +Chrism   Email +Chrism   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of vestments, items like Pontifical Dalmatics and Tunicles, Biretta's, Roman Chasubles, Dalmatics, Maniples, Lace Albs and Amice, Lace Cotta, Dalmatics with appareled amice and others

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may depend on what they think you want them for ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
It may depend on what they think you want them for ?

I will be taking them back to the parishes with me for our use, we are not a very rich parish so I am looking at alternatives to get vestments and etc

Relics would be used for public veneration in the church

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chrism:
... I will be staying with some lovely sisters. While I am there I am hoping get as many religious collectibles as possible ...

No, Fr Chrism - put Sister Perpetua back in her cell. You can't take her with you, she doesn't like aeroplanes and she's very elderly and doesn't want to be an anchoress ...

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
... I will be staying with some lovely sisters. While I am there I am hoping get as many religious collectibles as possible ...

No, Fr Chrism - put Sister Perpetua back in her cell. You can't take her with you, she doesn't like aeroplanes and she's very elderly and doesn't want to be an anchoress ...
Don't worry I won't be taking Sister Perpetua with me, Barbiconi and Gamerelli only sale and rarely give.

We use to have a huge collection until they were stolen a couple of years back, it would be nice to have our own set again but we are more or less getting back on our feet after many years of opening and closures

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:

Quotes file!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Chrism
Apprentice
# 17032

Pope Benedict XVI would probably pardon me if I did steal Sister Perpetua. Do Gamerelli/Barbiconi give away any old stuff

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pope Benedict XVI would probably pardon me if I did steal Sister Perpetua. Do Gamerelli/Barbiconi give away any old stuff

If you ask for something old in central Italy, they're likely to think "Etruscan"! And no, they don't typically give stuff that old away.

The worst you could do is ask them. They might say no; they might say yes.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016