homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglo-Catholic or High Church churches in Rome?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglo-Catholic or High Church churches in Rome?
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any Anglo-Catholic or High Church churches in Rome? I'm going there this weekend, and would love to go to a Mass were I can partake of communion.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican services of any kind are limited. St Paul's Within the Walls is TEC and All Saints is CoE. There is a Swedish Lutheran church too, if you are in the mood for Porvooing it.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints (near the Spanish Steps) is rather remarkable - one walks into the red-brick neo-gothic interior and suddenly one is transported to an unassuming English parish church. It seemed eminently MotR with its embroidered kneelers and memorials to dead colonels. It is quite a surprise to leaf and find oneself back in the Eternal City rather than, say, Northampton.

So not, perhaps, what you are looking for!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been to Rome, but according to the pictures St Paul's is very beautiful. It's a little Italian Romanesque number with lots of Pre-Raphaelite mosaics.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two Anglican Churches in Rome are beautiful buildings,and the Sung Eucharist is the main sevice in both of them.
Chasuble,acolytes,good choir,what else can you want.
Rome is not London or New-York, where you can find many Anglican Churches of different traditions,certainly in the British Capital.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
All Saints (near the Spanish Steps) is rather remarkable - one walks into the red-brick neo-gothic interior and suddenly one is transported to an unassuming English parish church. It seemed eminently MotR with its embroidered kneelers and memorials to dead colonels. It is quite a surprise to leaf and find oneself back in the Eternal City rather than, say, Northampton.

I think if I was in some corner of a foreign field, that is probably exactly what I'd be looking for.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Saints (the C of E one) and St Paul's within the Walls (the TEC one) are both beautiful buildings designed by the well-known English architect G E Street, though in very different styles. The former is reminiscent of All Saints' Margaret Street; the latter could pass for a genuine Italian basilica.

The liturgy in both could be described as 'sunny side of central' ; all the catholic essentials but probably no incense (though I imagine it is used occasionally in both churches). The last time I was at All Saints they used the 'traditional' language CW rite whereas I think St Paul's uses 1979 BCP rite 2.

If you're looking for exotic liturgy there are plenty of places in Rome to find it! If you want to worship, and receive communion, as an Anglican I can't think anyone would be offended by either of these two.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

I think if I was in some corner of a foreign field, that is probably exactly what I'd be looking for.
I imagine it is a similar feeling to that of a Roman visiting the Brompton Oratory, but in reverse!

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
If you're looking for exotic liturgy there are plenty of places in Rome to find it!

You think? I always find it hard to find anything exotic. I would say, to use Anglican terms, most of Rome is Low Church dressed in baroque vestments.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On reflection, you're probably right, TT. But I am assured (by a former director of the Anglican Centre) that central Rome is very much pukka by-the-book liturgy (and attitudes), whereas suburban parishes, like most of continental Europe, are much more laid-back.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

The Lateran Basilica have a rather grand sung Mass at 10 on Sundays with 'all the trimmings', I think.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried to google times of Masses at St. Peter's Basilica but so far, without success. We can try doing the same for St. Mary Major, St. John Lateran and St. Paul's outside the walls, where we are sure to discover at least one Solemn Mass on Sundays and solemnities - maybe daily.

Regarding the two Anglican churches of All Saints and St. Paul's within the Walls, the websites show times of early morning Sunday Eucharists and the main Sunday service (nowadays always a Eucharist - Matins having disappeared, apparently) at 10.30. All Saints has Choral Evensong on the first Sunday in the month at about 5 o'clock as an additional service. St. Paul's has a Eucharist in Spanish each Sunday at 1 o'clock, as well.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On my one trip to Rome, the Low Masses at St Mary Major were quite, erm, something. Whether they had priest visiting from the suburbs (pace Angloid's source, I'm not sure...

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I tried to google times of Masses at St. Peter's Basilica but so far, without success. We can try doing the same for St. Mary Major, St. John Lateran and St. Paul's outside the walls, where we are sure to discover at least one Solemn Mass on Sundays and solemnities - maybe daily.

Regarding the two Anglican churches of All Saints and St. Paul's within the Walls, the websites show times of early morning Sunday Eucharists and the main Sunday service (nowadays always a Eucharist - Matins having disappeared, apparently) at 10.30. All Saints has Choral Evensong on the first Sunday in the month at about 5 o'clock as an additional service. St. Paul's has a Eucharist in Spanish each Sunday at 1 o'clock, as well.

I thought you needed a ticket to get into St. Peter's for a Mass. The place is just that popular.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only for large events. Sunday Mass is not usually that well attended. Several hundred but no more.

And to avoid confusion, a ticket is free for the large events.

[ 12. October 2012, 19:32: Message edited by: Triple Tiara ]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, the director of the Anglican Centre of Rome will be visiting my shack, next week.

The Anglican Centre does have a Eucharist on Tuesday:

http://anglicancentre.churchinsight.com/

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sunday High Mass at St. Peter's Baslca is celebrated at the altar of the chair, which is behind the high altar. The Mass (10:15 or so) is the conventual Mass for the canons.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use to live in Rome and worshipped at All Saints and occasionally St Paul's. I think if I lived there now I would go to the Caravita (I am still an Anglican).

[ 13. October 2012, 18:05: Message edited by: Corvo ]

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
DitzySpike
Shipmate
# 1540

- Posted      Profile for DitzySpike   Email DitzySpike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
I use to live in Rome and worshipped at All Saints and occasionally St Paul's. I think if I lived there now I would go to the Caravita (I am still an Anglican).

Thank you for the link! Great pictures and the write up from John Allen is moving.
Posts: 498 | From: Singapore | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DitzySpike:
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:

Thank you for the link! Great pictures and the write up from John Allen is moving.
I get back to Rome now and then and was last at the Caravita in July. I hope other SofF subscribers might visit and report back. I would love to find somewhere like it in London.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that link! I was delighted to see Mother Temp there in the photo gallery and if I am ever in Rome on a Sunday, that will be near the top of my list!

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016