homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Puzzling Quotation

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Puzzling Quotation
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't often venture into Ecclesiantics, but I have a puzzle to solve. A friend is doing research into a Lord Chief Justice called Lord Kenyon, who died in 1802. In his obituary in the Times, his excessive meanness was mentioned, with the phrase "it was Lent in the kitchen, and Passion Week in the parlour."
We can work out Lent in the kitchen - but what on earth does "Passion Week in the parlour" mean?

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A general sense of gathering gloom and impending disaster, perhaps? (Taking 'Passion Week' to mean 'Holy Week', that is).

Sounds a right bundle of laughs.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could it possibly be a reference to lack of fancy decorations (ie when the altars are stripped etc) if it was to indicate his stingyness in home decor.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An excellent thought GR, but at that stage such practices were unknown in the Established church and Roman Catholic practices would *never* have been referenced in the 'Times'. There could however have been a practice for removing home decorations in the run up to Good Friday perhaps?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fast versus feast maybe ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Passion Week (agreed that it's Holy Week) would be a time of solemnity - Passion Week in the parlour would mean that all the conversation was serious, without entertainment or anything like that.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe that until the second half of the nineteenth century theatres in England could not open during Passion week (the rules had been gradually eased - at the beginning of the century the prohibition would have included all Wednesdays and Fridays in Lent, but the restriction became limited to closure on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday).

So 'Passion week in the parlour' would suggest no frivolity in a room where relaxation and enjoyment might have been expected.

[ 22. October 2012, 21:36: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks - that makes sense!
My friend's mind was going along the lines of uncomfortable furniture.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wm Dewy
Shipmate
# 16712

- Posted      Profile for Wm Dewy   Email Wm Dewy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could "Passion Week" have meant the week between Passion Sunday and Palm Sunday? Or not that early in the nineteenth century?
In my memory Passiontide is two weeks before Easter, but since the 1979 Prayer Book Passion Sunday and Palm Sunday are the same day.

--------------------
"And harmoniums and barrel - organs be miserable--what shall I call 'em ? - miserable machines for such a divine thing as music!"

Posts: 216 | From: Indiana USA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Passion Week is traditionally the week before Palm Sunday. Until 1970, the 5th Sunday in Lent was known as Passion Sunday and the last two weeks of Lent were called Passiontide. This is still observed in EF churches and some traditional AC parishes. During Passiontide, statues, images and crosses are veiled in violet, and several modifications are made to the liturgy, such as the dropping of the Gloria Patri wherever it appears.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a great recovery in the CofE. Common Worship
has restored Passiontide, starting the Sunday before Palm Sunday as a time of special solemnity.

Having only one Sunday to sing those glorious hymns of the Passion hymns means that generations now have have gone without them until this restoration.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Chapelhead has got it right. There's not much point in looking at post Oxford Movement ideas to get an impression of the religious assumptions of 1802.

The prayer book in 1801 did not recognise Palm Sunday in the modern sense but did have daily epistle and gospel for what we would now call Holy Week. The gospel readings are very long. It was customary at that period to include Antecommunion even if the Lord's Supper was not being celebrated, and nobody else was attending. So it is possible that these might have been read each day after Morning Prayer.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Thanks - that makes sense!
My friend's mind was going along the lines of uncomfortable furniture.

Since the original question has been answered satisfactorily, it seems reasonable to close the thread.

Mamacita, Eccles Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016