homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » St Catherine for small children

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: St Catherine for small children
latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This month's family service falls on our patronal festival - St Catherine of Alexandria. Does anyone have any good resources to help make St C a suitable subject for very young children? I'm not sure torture and mystical marriage will work too well!

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably unhelpful, but Kuruman and I have just laughed out loud at the concept of
quote:
torture and mystical marriage
for young children! Beautifully put [Overused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of being flippant, why would torture be a major issue? Presumably the children are familiar with the idea of Christ being nailed up on the Cross?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole fictionality thing might be an issue too...

If you gave each saint a rating for fame, and another for historical evidence for their existence, I suspect St Catherine would be near the top of the fame/evidence scale.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That hymn that contains the phrase, "when her head from her body was separated, outwith milk did flow" (or phrasing to that effect) is most jolly for the wee ones.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When her head was amputated,
Milk flowed forth instead of blood:
Then her body was translated
By the angel multitude,
And on Sinai's Mount located
At its highest altitude.

I can just see the looks of delight on the faces of my little ones now. And the questions we'd have over Sunday lunch following...

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

- Posted      Profile for ardmacha   Author's homepage   Email ardmacha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had better be careful here.
Can anyone give me the source of this hymn ; is it a send up ?
Remembering how close fact/fiction in hymns can be: e.g.

Blest is the man whose bowels move
And melt with pity for the poor
His soul in sympathising love
Feels what his fellow saints enure

Posts: 56 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A brief google uncovers this;

I don't think it's a spoof.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something to do with wheels and fireworks?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

[Killing me]

(I don't see the feast of St Guy and St Catherine catching on).

[ 12. November 2012, 15:39: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I thought that fireworks were for Saint Barbara?

Well, little girls love princesses. And since she was known to be particularly smart, and someone tried to marry her off against her will, Belle of Disney's Beauty and the Beast comes to mind. Frankly, both girls and boys would probably like the whole milk-from-the-neck thing. And you don't have to explain how a breaking wheel works, just that it was miraculously broken.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

If you want to push the volume up to 11 as regards saints and fireworks...

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

I thought that fireworks were for Saint Barbara?
So why are they sold as 'catherine wheels'?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hymn is not a send up. We have sung it at St Clement's Philadelphia, whose minor patron Catherine of Alexandria is.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

You have to respect something that rhymes "amputated... translated.... located" for 1,3 and 5, with "blood.... multitude.... altitude" for 2,4 and 6.

They don't write them like that any more.

It has all the ingredients of a St Catherine's Gangsta rap.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say (without a hosty hat on) that we're not helping Latecomer much [Disappointed]

That said, the bowels-moving line is one I use quite often, to remind peeps the degree to which we sanititize the bible. JC was forever being splagnidzomai-ed - moved to the bowels. Hats off to the hymn-writer who recognized that visceral response in the Incarnation to human poverty.

All of which does little for the OP.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thanks Zappa, but actually being made to giggle about it IS helping (and I'm conscious this was very close to being a homework thread too).

I can feel a game coming on here - which saint would you least like to deliver a child-friendly talk on?

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Digging through my copy of Seasons, Saints & Sticky Tape

In fairly garbled paraphrase, suggestions for children's activities for All Saints:

1. chain of saints - concertinaed paper to make four shapes of people holding hands, first is saint of church dedication, second is a saint they particularly like, third is someone they know who is a good example, fourth is a picture of themselves.
  2. Saints lantern, glue the chain around a clean jam jar and place a candle inside - use to light the parish party celebrating your saint!
  3. skipping lightly over the paper flags with a saint drawn on each side;
  4. A Woven Banner - use a large bamboo cane top and bottom and tie warp threads between them, make a hanger using a loop at the top, weave a banner out of fabric strips, using paper chains of saints as above from 4 colours of sugar paper, put Jesus at the top, 11 disciples, then the people who found the church, saints, patrons, etc, then last row is the people of the church. It's to show how all Christians are knitted together in God's family.

The Patron Saints ideas suggest you do an ecclesiastical "house that Jack built" and suggests that you've started a couple of weeks in advance making t-shirts, ten people help narrate this one, giving the first couple to give a flavour (copyright, pm me if you want more):
  1. This is the church where we go
  2. This is the lady who cares for the church
    where we go (brush)
  3. This is the person who visits the village/town
    who thanks the lady who cares for the church
    Where we go (camera)

Children make their own patronal t-shirts using symbols of the saint. (You can see why I look at All Saints - it's John the Baptist here, beheading is the usual date)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooo! Good game! If you start it in the Circus, I'll come and play. [Big Grin]

ETA: For latecomer, of course. Although I'm enjoying Curiosity killed...'s ideas, too.

[ 13. November 2012, 07:24: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] - are you helping me play thread bingo - see if I can start a thread on every board?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

[Snigger]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help feeling that one's Patronal Festival
(especially if it's of an....er.... awkward saint) is a time, not for a Family Service, but for a full-on Solemn High Mass (preferably with a tame Bishop celebrating) with children being deputed to do lots of jobs before, during and after said Mass............

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ardmacha
Shipmate
# 16499

- Posted      Profile for ardmacha   Author's homepage   Email ardmacha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks fot the link mdijon, a really good hymn.
Posts: 56 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly had St. Catherine explained to me as a young child in terms of the Catherine Wheel firework. It made perfect sense in that context (perhaps we were more au fait with those sort of fireworks back in the 1960s, as our dads used to set them off in the back garden and children were therefore able to see them close up).

Since then, when visiting churches and cathedrals, I have seen many stained glass windows and other pictures portraying St. Catherine, which usually have the wheel symbol somewhere in the portrait. Perhaps a google of those examples could bring up some you could print off for the children to find the symbol?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I certainly had St. Catherine explained to me as a young child in terms of the Catherine Wheel firework.

I generally think visual aids are over-done, but in for a penny in for a pound... a Catherine wheel at the front in the family service would definitely be memorable. Or if health and safety insist at least a sparkler or two. That would make the children sit up.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
I generally think visual aids are over-done

Now that is a very interesting statement in itself. Perhaps some of us are more visual learners than others, but I do remember as a child finding the visual symbolism in any school lesson or church sermon so much more meaningful than words alone. Some concepts are so difficult to understand and, as children don't normally become abstract learners until at least the age of 11, pictures and objects are so important.

(But maybe a detailed examination of that would belong on another thread.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

A St Catherine pageant might be fun. Like a church Christmas pageant, but with devices of torture and damsels in distress.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016