homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pillar lectionary: unfit for purpose

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pillar lectionary: unfit for purpose
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Pillar lectionary is designed for churches and cathedrals (mainly the latter) who have occasional visitors.

An agnostic friend of mine likes church music and turns up to cathedral choral evensong occasionally. the last time he went, the second lesson was from Titus 2, all about wives being submissive to their husbands.

It's all very well for me to explain that this is a deutero-Pauline passage and draws on Roman household codes but I wonder what view of Christianity get from such readings as this.

Such passages can be explained by preaching but there is rarelyu preaching at daily evensong.

Shouldn't the Pillar lectionary leave out difficult passages?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or you could lay the blame at the feet of whoever decided not to preach (which may be a decision left to prevailing ecclesial culture rather than anyone's direct decision -- a structural sin). I do think there are some passages which simply demand preaching whenever they are read. This would be one (as would any account of genocide from the Former Prophets). My preference would be not to critique the lectionary for including them, but the clergy for not preaching.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is never a sermon at ferial cathedral Sung Evensong, and this extra lectionary has been devised specifically to meet the requirement.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a Pillar lectionary ? I've never heard of it before.

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have the C of E red booklet, the Lectionary, it is at the back of the book. It is a series of one OT and one NT readings for each day of the weekday of the year other than festivals.

The usual lectionary reads through the books of the Bible more or less continually (we skipt from Isaiah 14 yesterday to Isaiah 17 today). I imagine the idea of the pillar lectionary is to avoid odd bleeding chunks, and is meant to be used for cathedral evensongs and the like.

Leo is suggesting it is not doing what it sets out to do. However, I've just looked at the pillar lectionary for the last six months, and I can't see any readings from Titus. I've checked the three readings from 1 & 2 Timothy, and they have no reference to married life whatever.

Cathedrals can be surprisingly wayward at times. Are you sure it was from the pillar lectionary?

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I've just looked at the pillar lectionary for the last six months, and I can't see any readings from Titus. I've checked the three readings from 1 & 2 Timothy, and they have no reference to married life whatever.

Cathedrals can be surprisingly wayward at times. Are you sure it was from the pillar lectionary?

Yes - Wednesday 14th November

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks very much venbede. I had never heard of the term 'Pillar' lectionary before

[ 27. November 2012, 19:35: Message edited by: Imersge Canfield ]

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo

There is a link here to the Pillar Lectionary for Common Worship. There are two passages from Titus in the whole thing, one in a couple of weeks time and one during Easter. There is nothing from 2 Titus.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I've just looked up the pillar lectionary and leo is quite right: Titus 2 on that date. Pity.

--------------------

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Leo

There is a link here to the Pillar Lectionary for Common Worship. There are two passages from Titus in the whole thing, one in a couple of weeks time and one during Easter. There is nothing from 2 Titus.

Jengie

I don't know when the lectionary was changed, but that version dates to 2010. The current version (in the Advent 2011-Eve of Advent 2012 book) includes Titus 2.1-10 for 14 November.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did we have this thread a month ago?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Try looking on page 6.

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is Titus Chapter 2 not 2 Titus and it is in Advent, hence mentioned in the above post!

Sorry using the search facility is so much easier than checking individual pages!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I'm confused. There is only one letter to Titus and its has a second chapter. In the pillar lectionary for this year verses 1-10 occur on the Wednesday of the Third Sunday before Advent.

And leo and I think it is a bad choice.

What's 2 Titus?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Titus 2, as I said in the OP.

Anyone know how we can 'complain' to the lectionary compilers and ask for a change?

It's not that i want to dilute The Word but i want to encourage 'milk' as the scripture says, for newbies.

[ 28. November 2012, 20:12: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
It's not that i want to dilute The Word but i want to encourage 'milk' as the scripture says, for newbies.

For "milk" read "cop out" perhaps?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the tendency for cathedral congos to include people dropping in on spec - is there any recap-type exposition given around stuff like the passage quoted? Stuff that covers the whole "only one side of a conversation in correspondence" aspect?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very easy for the reader to say a few lines that give a little context; I've heard that a few times in cathedral services. I'd have thought it was a good idea if you look round and see mostly tourists. There are a lot of passages that need a little help to stand on their own, as it were.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I'm pretty confident you could read through the entire liturgical books of the Orthodox and Tridentine Roman churches and you'd never find that sort of passage used. The primary purpose of the readings is worship, not social instruction. *

It is certainly to contact the Liturgical Commission - you could always put a letter in the post to Church House if you can't find "contact us" link online.

* Although it would be absurd for cathedrals to use anything other than the structure of BCP Evening Prayer, I think two long readings are far too much and I only use one in my private use of the office.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

If you said that to St Paul, he'd write you an epistle. And you really don't want to be on the receiving end of an epistle.

I'd never heard of the Pillar lectionary. I think it's a fantastic idea. In theory. Right up to the point where somebody sticks Titus 2.1-10 in it. I mean, even the rest of Titus 2 would be an improvement.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the idea of such a lectionary.

Many c of e lectionaries give such huge chunks of scripture. They also are designed for those who say an office day after day after day, I don't, so a stand alone by day lectionaries sounds good to me.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the pillar lectionary was more aimed at avoiding readings which either only made sense if you'd heard the previous day, or if you heard the following day, and to provide readings of reasonable length. I agree that Titus 2 would be unlikely to make favourable impression on a passing agnostic, though I'm intrigued that it was the one verse about wives being submissive to husbands that was picked up on, rather than the verses about slaves being submissive to masters. That said, I think there may also have been a desire not to 'airbrush' less palatable aspects of the Bible.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

If you said that to St Paul, he'd write you an epistle. And you really don't want to be on the receiving end of an epistle.
[Killing me]
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016