homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » carolling

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: carolling
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our city shopping centre (what we now have to call a 'Mall', apparently) The Salvation Army band played carols this afternoon for 2 hours. We were preceded by a very good community choir singing to raise money for a sup kitchen; we were followed by a children's choir raising money for cancer research.

Does anyone here get involved in carol singing/playing?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To an extent ... I've done so more in the past. The Baptist church we were part of in a large northern city used to lay on an excellent carols event in a local park - with carols, candles, a donkey, fireworks, tableaux, a short but punchy talk and a smooth jazz version of 'God rest ye merry gentlemen ...'

It was a terrific 'do' and one of the best 'public' events I've seen a church of any stripe lay on. I miss it every year now we've moved elsewhere.

It was a good 'witness' in evangelical terms and very uncheesy. Anecdotally, I know of one person who clearly found faith not long after they'd attended and who later said that the service was one of the main catalysts in the process ... they'd gone back to university after the Christmas break and sought out a church to attend as a result of attending the carol service in the park.

Even if it wasn't for things like that, it was still a worthwhile thing in and of itself.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to organize simple caroling when my nieces were young. Just a few of us in the neighborhood, with the girls carrying candy canes to give to anyone who opened their doors. I had a lot of positive feedback and continued for several years.

One day, two people in the neighborhood inserted themselves into this tradition and caused a lot of discord as they attempted to get our small group to 1)set up practice sessions so we'd sound more like a real choir, 2) limit the places we sang to homes they approved of, etc.

Rather than have a falling out at Christmas time, the girls and I simply offered to let them organize things. For all their attempts to influence this event toward the way they wanted it to be, they had no interest in organizaing. [Big Grin]

So it continued as always until the girls grew older and began to do holiday stuff with their friends.

sabine

[ 03. December 2012, 18:25: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our choir and bellringers go around the nursing homes singing and ringing carols. My favourite time is when we visit the Hospital on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll be heading down the pub for our annual Beer & Carols the week before Christmas. Does that count?
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carol singing in Poland as I knnow it, when not done in church is done at home, around the table on the evening of the 24th. This year I'll be singing with my wife and mother-in-law, both of whom would not describe themselves as believers. I had a strange experience this year for the Epiphany where I did a party and many friends came, hardly any of whom attend church and some who have been hurt by the church. I mentioned to someone that I like a certain Polish carol for the Epiphany and then everyone sung it.

I've done the "go to hospitals/streets/homes and sing carols" thing many times, but sense in Poland that I'm experiencing evangelism of a different nature.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 10-12 of us visit our two parish pubs and one club (i.e. licensed social club - UK shippies will know what I mean) on the Saturday evening before Christmas. We sing carols and collect dosh for our local Hospice.

Seems to go down well - a bit of evangelism and a bit of fundraising for a good cause (and one of the pubs does a wicked home-brewed cider....).

There's not much point singing round the streets in our parish - everyone's either indoors glued to the telly (and not wanting to be disturbed) or down the pub (or club).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Singing Christmas carols at nursing homes is all well and good, the residents do seem to appreciate it. However, what about the rest of the year? We go all out during this season, but the rest of the year not so much.

As much as nursing home residents love to have carolers they would also appreciate an occasional one on one visit, especially if they have no family nearby.

An idea: arrange to take a group of young people (Sunday School kids) to a nursing home at least four times a year, during the "off season," if not once a month. The kids can do crafts with the elderly or read to them (or be read to by them) and even sing a song or two.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Newcastle we play carols in a mall for three saturdays, visit 3 hospitals, 2 hospices, play for two community street carolling sessions and go round two estates from lamppost to lamppost. We will also be playing at an Anglican church, the RC cathedral and an ecumenical service held in a social club.

In October, November and January to April we go to a nursing home every Sunday lunchtime after the morning service, we also visit two hospices, as well as playing for their Easter Sunday service.

From May to September, after the morning service, we play traditional and contemporary hymns on the main pedestrianised shopping street.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We go out carol singing around the parish on the Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the week before Christmas. There may be any number of singers from 8 or so up to 15 or 20. Volunteers from the group (usually the children) do the door-knocking, and we collect money for the local cold weather shelter.

We normally have a good time (ending up with mulled wine & mince pies in the vicarage) and people give quite generously.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Blairgowrie we were taught lots of the Christmas Carols and a big group of us, in secondary school, used to sing carols in several places, lots for elderly and handicapped people, and also including the main place in the centre of the town on the streets, just before Christmas. It was a whole evening/night! And we did enjoy it, and had something to eat at the school head's home.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Unda Maris
Shipmate
# 4983

- Posted      Profile for Unda Maris   Email Unda Maris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We venture out carol singing most years. We take along a piano accordion (me) as it makes plenty of racket with no power supply needed, and can carry on warbling while the rabble move to the next streetlight. Fingerless gloves essential.

Mind you, it is becoming more and more difficult to raise an audience, due to double-glazing and that scourge of carollers, the security-controlled block of flats!!

--------------------
Competence costs extra!

Posts: 66 | From: Solihull - the centre of England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SyNoddy:
We'll be heading down the pub for our annual Beer & Carols the week before Christmas. Does that count?

A priest friend of mine encourages carol singing in pubs on the grounds that it's the only time of the year you can go into a pub and talk about Jesus without getting beaten up.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The past couple years I've tried to round up people to "go caroling" by contacting everyone in every group I sing with. One year I got 5 to join me, the next year 2 joined me (several others said yes but didn't show up).

Some of the churches "go caroling" as an activity of the choir, and their people do show up for that; times past I've done it in family groups. I guess people tend to do what their pack does rather than gather for a specific one-time activity?

This year I'm going to try to gather some to sing along to a CD of Messiah. None of my churches are willing to do that, singing along with a CD just for the fun of singing is not good enough quality music for them, but they don't have enough good soloists to do Messiah as a concert.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
This year I'm going to try to gather some to sing along to a CD of Messiah. None of my churches are willing to do that, singing along with a CD just for the fun of singing is not good enough quality music for them, but they don't have enough good soloists to do Messiah as a concert.

[tangent] Thank you for calling "Messiah" by its proper name! [/tangent]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

One of these years I'm going to draw up enough courage to do this. I might even bring earplugs for those who are "fortunate" enough to end up around me.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been roped into carol singing at a local shopping centre next week, by a friend who has found herself organising the event. I believe it's in aid of a Cancer charity, and suspect that it is more likely that people will pay me to stop than pay to hear more. Should be fun though.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep carol singing on Friday 21st at 5.30pm - a diy nativity for everyone in the streets of briar hill not a zillion miles away from a railway museum and lots of roundabouts.

Start at a pub and end at one too by way of the co-op. Donkeys en route. People encourgaed to dress up.
(pm me for the exact location)

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
... not a zillion miles away from a railway museum and lots of roundabouts.

I didn't know that Hemel Hempstead had a railway museum ... take me to it [Snigger]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Thank you for calling "Messiah" by its proper name!

Sounds very indefinite to me - but you are right!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what's its IMproper name?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
So what's its IMproper name?

"THE Messiah"

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos singing carols in shopping centres.....

If you go to Youtube and enter 'Impromptu Hallelujah Chorus at Macy's', you'll see how Christmas Shopping can give way to God......absolutely breathtaking!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016