homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christingle Service - does it have a future? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christingle Service - does it have a future?
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just putting the finishing touches to our forthcoming Christingle Service. And I'm wondering why we are bothering, if I am honest.

Some years ago, I knew of plenty of churches where Christingle was also a service that attracted lots of people and when the building would be packed. But I really don't know of any church now where that can be said.

Certainly here, no matter what we do, we get a very poor response. We've tried changing the day on which it is held, and the time. We've really pushed it hard by advertising in the local schools and around the local community. Nothing.

By contrast, the Crib Service on Christmas Eve doesn't get any advertising at all and each year the church is packed.

I know of a church not far from here that used to have so many people coming to their Christingle service that they had to use a local school sports hall (and make in excess of 300 Christingles!). They now can use their church building (which takes about 150) and don't get a full house. I'm not sure how many people come to the service who aren't already regular churchgoers.

So.....

Has Christingle had its day? Have other people experienced the same kind of decline in interest?

Do you have a successful Christingle Service, which attracts outsiders? If so, why do you think it is a success? When do you run it? How do you advertise it?

Unless we get a miraculous turnout this year, I'm inclined to stop doing it. We have lots of things happening in December - and lots of them are clearly attractive to those outside the normal church community. Why should we give ourselves extra work and hassle at an already hectic time of year for something that doesn't seem to be meeting a need any more?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Packed with kids at our local shack, which is significant because the normal congo is about 20, nearly all over 65.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it's because 'Christingle' sounds a really silly word, it sounds a bit like you're tickling the baby Jesus.

Have you thought of using a less silly word for your service, like 'Candle Service' or 'Advent service'? I had no idea what it even was until I looked it up and I've been in churches all my life. I remember decorating an orange like that when I was in scouts but had no idea it was called a Christingle. What the man on the street thinks of it I hate to imagine.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its blibsy.

[ 07. December 2012, 15:21: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably just trending the wrong way at the moment. Like church-going itself.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Its blibsy.

Sorry, ken. I've temporarily misplaced my Babel fish. Care to translate into English?

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Packed with kids at our local shack, which is significant because the normal congo is about 20, nearly all over 65.

So when is it held? What seems to be making the difference? And - perhaps importantly - how "Christmassy" is it?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this decline in attendance due to a loss of interest in Christingles per se? Or is it a symptom of a wider malaise of having lost touch with an increasing number of children and families? I suspect the latter.

We have Christingles as part of our Advent Sunday worship and numbers were OK-ish last week - certainly better than a "normal" Sunday.

I think Christingles work best at night (or at least twilight) - it can be magical. I remember going to a 4pm service at St. Paul's Cahedral when our son was small, it was excellent.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My former church held the Christingle service at the beginning of Advent. I can't remember exactly how it was connected, but it always involved the Children's Society somehow. From memory, it was far more about the work of the Children's Society than about telling tales of how the christingle came to be or anything suchlike. Not very Christmassy at all. Little fabric purses were available in the church in the run up, and everyone was encouraged to take away a Christingle purse and return it as an offering in the service.

It was always very full - partly I suspect because we had the uniformed organisations in: Brownies, Cubs, Beavers & rainbows (probably also some Scouts & Guides). Also the church choir and music group were expected to turn out.

We don't do Christingle at my church in Scotland for which I am grateful. But YMMV.

[ 07. December 2012, 15:51: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Christmas Eve, in our city-centre cathedral (not one of the big historic ones, though) the Christingle was packed - standing room only. I think that someone said we printed 500 orders of service, and we ran out of copies.
Agapetheo
Apprentice
# 16908

- Posted      Profile for Agapetheo   Email Agapetheo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent Sunday Christingle - well over 100 Christingles distributed ... whilst it is a parish service, two local schools one a church school, the other not bring children to 'perform'/sing etc so that draws in those children and their parents ... might be worth tapping up your local headteachers!!!
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here they're very popular. My local CoE church (weekly attendance c50) has about 200 attendees, last year it was closer to 250. They certainly don't have that number for any other Christmas Service.

Also, as odd as the name 'Christingle' is, it's immediately identifiable.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the church in the village I live, the Christingle service is so popular that it has cloned itself and there are now 2 services, on Christmas Eve, at 2pm and 4pm. Both attract about 200 people 95% of whom are not regular churchgoers. The rest of the Christmas services (other than the ones attended en masse by the school children) are very poorly attended. It seems that people remember from year to year, and come back. In comparison, the Christingle service at the church I attend is held this Sunday after a craft workshop which includes a kind of Messy Church, and the service is attended by a maximum of 50. However our church has a thriving Sunday club and non-eucharistic Family Service, and excellent links with school and toddler groups. Funny old world.
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the magic thing about yours, is Christams Eve. Most places I know who have a Christmas Eve service of any sort, aimed at children, it is popular service.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Christingle in my present place.

But in past parishes we used to do a Christingle service (Children's Society) round about candlemas time; or Epiphany. We linked in with the local primary schools. Seemed to work well.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have never had Christingle, in fact I had never heard of it until on this site. It sounds a bit like the confectionery we call Fruit Tingles! I hope it doesn't catch on here as to me it sounds a rather strange and a dangerous event with kids playing with lighted candles.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a Christingle Service exactly?

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church doesn't have one but the biggest (in terms of congregation) CoE church in the town had theirs on Advent Sunday and was packed by all accounts - helped by the attendance of uniformed groups and kids from the local church schools.

I have never attended a Christingle service since I wasn't brought up in a churchgoing family and became a Christian as an adult, but all the churches that do Christingle services are packed when they have them - and I've been to some very poorly-attended crib services.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
What is a Christingle Service exactly?

As far as i have experienced it consists of a whole lots of words, some sung, and then the distribution of a whole lot of oranges with candles stuck into them. But I fear I may have missed something. The inimitable wiki is of course a more reliable source of information.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still a very popular and by all accounts packed out service round here. Most popular time seems to be 4pm on Sat or Sunday.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too get the feeling that enthusiasm for Christingles has waned. Once the risk-assessment people decided that sweets and candles were off-limits it became decidedly less fun.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have sweets and candles on ours ... and they get lit (the candles, not the sweets).

Although I did change the rather disorganised way we did it to make it both safer and more effective.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think local school involvement is key - we use the choir and hand-chime group from our primary school & have a packed church.

Oscar - re risk assessment. I often wonder how the Children's Society came up with a service so obviously likely to cause damage to children - sugar rush, sharp sticks and fire!

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
re last post - sorry Amos not Oscar!

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every church I've been part of has always had a well attended* Christingle. But, I'd never heard of a Childrens Society connection.

The current church held their first Christingle last year. On Christmas eve at 7pm. This year it'll be a bit later as the minister is also leading a Christingle at 6.30 at the other church she has charge of.

* 'Well attended' meaning many of the children associated with the church present - the children who come every week with their parents and about 30-50% of the grandkids of the older members. Often some members of the uniform organisations, but not the whole group turning up. I've never known kids without any church connection at all, eg: pupils at local schools.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the various churches I've been a member of the popularity of christinlge has varied.

They have tended to be well attended to start with and then to wane as people get used to them - after all how many ways can you explain what a christingle means....

ONe of the churches stopped doing them and one has started doing them in the school during the day, therefore guaranteeing a whole school attendance..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a huge fan of Christingle as its performed locally. Although I did turn out to help ram fruit and sweets onto several hundred cocktail sticks. My lack of enthusiasm stems from the very overt fundraising element, there is almost a `trade in your filled cardboard candle here in return for a pimp ed up orange" feel about the whole thing. No doubt that cause is very worthy and deserving but I'm uneasy about effectively charging families for possibly one of their very seldom experiences of 'church'.
But maybe that's just me.

Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

If the Christingle service is on Christmas Eve, it is bound to get a good turn out, I think. We do a simple Crib Service in the afternoon of Christmas Eve and the church gets packed. But there is no place really, for the Christingle at that service, with confusing the two and making the whole thing much longer.

I do agree with the comments about how you can't really keep on explaining what a Christingle is. I think it has lost its novelty value.

We still have cocktail sticks, sweets and candles. To have a Christingle without those is daft. H&S reqs don't preclude such things - simply that you know that you have taken suitable precautions to minimise any danger.

It was the Children's Society that really introduced the Christingle into the UK, so to have a Christingle Service WITHOUT reference to the Children's Society seems a little wrong to me. Having said that, I do think that their worship resources and suggestions are pretty stale.

As for getting involvement from the schools. We have tried - believe me. But I think (around here anyway), we struggle against the fact that it is no longer "new" or interesting, and also there is a growing wariness from school staff about too much church involvement. I certainly now find it harder to go into schools regularly to take assemblies than I did 5+ years ago.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christingle services have gone a bit stale I think. There was a glut of them about 10 years ago here, and only a few places keep up the tradition now. Part of it is that it centres around the idea of a procession in the church and kids generally do it under duress of their parents who want to see the pretty procession. I've seen it done well in a service of twenty minutes where the sweets on four sticks were explained as the Gospel going out to the four corners of the world rather than the seasons, which I think is a slightly better metaphor for the kids. But I've also seen it done over the course of an hour, which was terminally dull.

Crib services on Christmas Eve, where the children actually play a role in the creation of the crib with bits of the story read for each item put in it and a short prayer at the end and maybe two hymns seems a far better and more atmospheric service - partly because it's interactive in a way that the kids want to interact.

Generally, I think if you can do it well in about 20 to 30 minutes, the kids stay engaged and enjoy it. Too many times I've seen kids sitting bored out of their tree by endless hymns, long readings and intercessions aimed at the adults rather than at them.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We never used to have a Christingle service, but our Cubs/Beavers leader requested one a couple of years ago, and we have had a congo of about 100 adults + kiddies for those years (our ASA is 30-35.....).

Ours is on a Thursday evening at the end of the Scouts/Cubs/Beavers term, IYSWIM. We use the material available in Common Worship,
and this year I have altered the service slightly so that the Christingles are not lit until towards the end of the service (thereby reducing the fire risk......!). The appropriate Advent Candle will, of course, be lit at the beginning.

I gather that the service is also to be used as the occasion for investing some new Cubs/Beavers, which ISTM is a Good Idea (in that it brings the parents along as well).

We value our links with the uniformed organisations, given the disastrous mess our last priest-in-charge made of them, so we pull out all the stops for this service.

To be liturgically correct, I have no doubt that Father will wear his purple stole....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double-post, but perhaps I should just say that we also have a Crib Service (with ad-hoc Nativity Play this year!) on Christmas Eve. Perhaps aimed at a slightly younger age-group, but nevertheless popular (50 or so adults and kiddies last year, IIRC).

Our Carols & Lessons, BTW, is very trad. - well-known (I hope) carols and 7 readings from....* gasp*..... the KJV ( [Eek!] )

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish it would die out - it's tacky.

However, while the Children's Society promotes it, it will probably last.

The pavement down the hill from one of our churches is always awash with discarded oranges afterwards. We tried to abolish the 'service' but the old people in the congregation liked it and wanted back. So is it for the kids or for nostalgic grown ups who haven't quite grown up?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
The pavement down the hill from one of our churches is always awash with discarded oranges afterwards.
Perhaps you should create a ritual blessing of the Christingles. Blessed items are not so easily tossed away. I still have a small box of religious tat from my childhood, which I fear to dispose of because I have feeling that they were blessed.

[ 08. December 2012, 17:42: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And that poses a question which could derail this entire thread: what does it mean to "bless" something and is an ontological change thereby caused?
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I did not mean either to raise a serious religious question or to derail the thread when I posted about blessings. I should certainly have ended my previous post with a [Biased]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The pavement down the hill from one of our churches is always awash with discarded oranges afterwards. We tried to abolish the 'service' but the old people in the congregation liked it and wanted back. So is it for the kids or for nostalgic grown ups who haven't quite grown up?

That, of course, is always the fine line you tread with children-focussed liturgy, not just at Christmas!
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:

My theory is that the people who are most demanding it are indeed nostalgic - looking back to the days when you could run a service like this and have the church packed with people who otherwise didn't come to church. Keeping the service going gives them a good feeling that they are - somehow - reaching out into the local community. They just haven't noticed that outsiders (on the whole) stopped being interested some years ago.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch.
My theory is that the people who are most demanding it are indeed nostalgic... They just haven't noticed that outsiders (on the whole) stopped being interested some years ago.

The extremely popular service I mentioned is mostly non-churchgoing children and their families.
This is clearly very variable from church to church. Someone mentioned cubs and scouts upthread; the above church has uniformed organisations. Could that be something to do with it? Not just school involvement, but the family and siblings of scouts and guides?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

My theory is that the people who are most demanding it are indeed nostalgic - looking back to the days when you could run a service like this and have the church packed with people who otherwise didn't come to church. Keeping the service going gives them a good feeling that they are - somehow - reaching out into the local community. They just haven't noticed that outsiders (on the whole) stopped being interested some years ago.
Far from it. It's the only service in the year where the local gaff has standing room only and is packed with outsiders. It's been held all sorts of times from early December to Christmas Eve; always packs them in.

The only factor I can think of that might explain the popularity which is clearly not universal is that the local school (CofE) hands out the candle collection boxes a couple of weeks before which are then collected in during the service.

[ 09. December 2012, 07:40: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:

That, of course, is always the fine line you tread with children-focussed liturgy, not just at Christmas!
Yes - you might get kids there and they might behave like kids. Not necessarily good kids, either.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Children's Society Christingle

Amongst the resources there is usually some note on the origin of Christingle - Moravian Church tradition, I think?

I like the Children's Society approach, firstly because it raises funds for a good organization, secondly because you get loads of great materials and information for a service with substance, as well as oranges. We always found the service was definitely the one that attracted whole families and non-family people across the age ranges. The making of the Christingles was also part of the annual fun; maybe an afternoon at school with the kids, or in the church hall with a group of volunteers, spearing dolly mixtures and jelly babies onto cock-tail sticks. Oranges usually donated by local grocers.

It is a rather labour-intensive service, as you can imagine, but it can be very special and lovely. (With the right supervision!)

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Link to Moravian Origin of Christingle (Scroll down a short way.)

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Children's Society Christingle

Amongst the resources there is usually some note on the origin of Christingle - Moravian Church tradition, I think?

I like the Children's Society approach, firstly because it raises funds for a good organization, secondly because you get loads of great materials and information for a service with substance, as well as oranges. We always found the service was definitely the one that attracted whole families and non-family people across the age ranges. The making of the Christingles was also part of the annual fun; maybe an afternoon at school with the kids, or in the church hall with a group of volunteers, spearing dolly mixtures and jelly babies onto cock-tail sticks. Oranges usually donated by local grocers.

It is a rather labour-intensive service, as you can imagine, but it can be very special and lovely. (With the right supervision!)

In my aunt and uncle's church, the leftover/used oranges get made into marmalade which then gets sold at the church's Christmas fair, which I think is a lovely idea.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

We had our Christingle Service tonight with our Scouts/Cubs/Beavers in attendance - 60 adults and 65 kiddies. We ran out of service sheets and Christingles - the leaders having miscalculated slightly......

Never mind - a mixture of the formal, informal and chaotic, but none the worse for that (and all the better for the mulled wine that followed - for the adults, of course).

This has become a major item in our annual programme. We value highly our links with the uniformed organisations, whose leaders work extremely hard, often with little support from parents.

Ian J.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
In my aunt and uncle's church, the leftover/used oranges get made into marmalade which then gets sold at the church's Christmas fair, which I think is a lovely idea.

That's what Mrs Mark has just done - we welcomed over 100 people last Sunday afternoon. That's in an inner city multi cultural area.

[Edit: UBB]

[ 16. December 2012, 09:20: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It still seems to be popular at our place, especially amongst young families. Although it is true that the crib service is MORE popular still - for the last few years we've had to put on two to fit them all in. There's something very special about going to church on Christmas Eve with young children....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hear hear, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My children went to a CofE school and parents were always asked to attend a christingle service at candlemas (for a change). I hated it, but the children loved it - especially toasting the sweets over the candle. I can't describe how relieved I was when they left that school and I didn't have to listen to that ghastly description of what all the bits of the orange represented, as though it was some ancient tradition shrouded in mystery. In reality it's just a modern invention made up to look like some meaningful ritual. [Projectile]

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
quote:

Hear hear, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My children went to a CofE school and parents were always asked to attend a christingle service at candlemas (for a change). I hated it, but the children loved it - especially toasting the sweets over the candle. I can't describe how relieved I was when they left that school and I didn't have to listen to that ghastly description of what all the bits of the orange represented, as though it was some ancient tradition shrouded in mystery. In reality it's just a modern invention made up to look like some meaningful ritual. [Projectile]
That might be because it's a children's service explicitly intended to appeal to children. You (I assume) don't like Waybuloo or In the Night Garden for similar reasons.

--------------------

Ophicleide16
Shipmate
# 16344

- Posted      Profile for Ophicleide16   Email Ophicleide16   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because it's primarily a service for children, I expect it's often looked down on by the 9 Lessons crowd. As far as the man on the street goes, Carols by Candlelight and Midnight Mass are the interest-generating events.

Christingle can be dreadfully tacky when done wrong. The priest at one of my previous churches used to make a giant christingle with a pumpkin, a paschal sized candle and packets of Fry's Turkish Delight on Barbeque sticks.

Posts: 79 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I like the pumpkin idea! Maybe we'll do that next year, and use it to light all the little Christingles from......

[Two face]

Ian J.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016