homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christingle Service - does it have a future? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christingle Service - does it have a future?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just back from a lovely Christingle service at our (Methodist) Church. The candles were all on the communion table - and each child was given a 'Christingle kit' to take home so that they could make their own.

One of the highlights was a children's choir who all sang beautifully.

[Angel] [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Small rural chapel, held at the end of a weekend Tree Festival. We ran out of seats with some faces new to church.

For the pst few years we have done self assembly Christingles during the service - keeps people engaged and saves all the prep beforehand or tensions about how many to make.

We don't have the physical space to light them but we give out glow sticks for the lights down bit at the end of the service, and they can light them at home later.

It is a chapel that has a very informal tradition and this service fits in with that. It is the only Christingle service I take as what is appropriate is different for each congregation and context.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
I hated it, but the children loved it - especially toasting the sweets over the candle. I can't describe how relieved I was when they left that school and I didn't have to listen to that ghastly description of what all the bits of the orange represented, as though it was some ancient tradition shrouded in mystery. In reality it's just a modern invention made up to look like some meaningful ritual. [Projectile]

Rather sad that the 'children loved it' but it remained meaningless to you. Do you think it's possible to find value in something that children enjoy even though we grown-ups would rather be doing our own naturally more 'meaningful' stuff instead?

If I hated Christingle as you do, I'd be glad, too, that there were no more opportunities to suffer it. But I think I would also feel sorry for the children missing out on what had obviously given them pleasure.

By the way, if you read the link I gave above as to the origins of Christingle you'll find they go back a few hundred years. Of course, I'm sure then it wouldn't've looked much like it does now. But I'd take a bet that the better proportion of all church worship doesn't much look now like it did 'then'.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are having a DIY Christingle on Christmas Eve...I thought I had been innoovative and we were doing something new!

So, all ye who have been this way before, have you any tips or hints for DIY Christingles?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
We are having a DIY Christingle on Christmas Eve...I thought I had been innoovative and we were doing something new!

So, all ye who have been this way before, have you any tips or hints for DIY Christingles?

1.Precut crosses in the top of oranges for pushing candles in.
2. have plenty of sweets and raisins as not all will make it to top of the cocktail sticks!
3. We use red tape rather than ribbon
4. have as many sets of stuff as suits your layout and size so that things can be passed around efficently
5. Enjoy, go with the flow and don't worry about dropped raisins, cocktail sticks etc - there is a time to tidy up and a time not to stress about it!

ETA: There is nothing new under the sun, and all the best ideas are thought of lots of times by different people!

[ 16. December 2012, 18:54: Message edited by: Avila ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Rather sad that the 'children loved it' but it remained meaningless to you. Do you think it's possible to find value in something that children enjoy even though we grown-ups would rather be doing our own naturally more 'meaningful' stuff instead?

If I hated Christingle as you do, I'd be glad, too, that there were no more opportunities to suffer it. But I think I would also feel sorry for the children missing out on what had obviously given them pleasure.

The children loved it because they got to play with lighted candles and toast little jelly sweets in a flame. They get the same pleasure from toasting marshmallows on a barbeque; and they probably learn more about the love of God in doing so than they do from an orange with a bit of red ribbon round it.
Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do self-assembly during the service. Carols and readings are interspersed with explanations of what each stage means.

Our normal church layout is cafe-style anyway, so it's easy to put the stuff on each table.

It's not aimed specifically at children in our church, more an all-age thing. We do seem to get more people than normal, as we did at the carol service yesterday , but that is probably because at this time of year more regulars will be willing to invite people, and more guests willing to accept.

Then again, we meet at 4.30 pm in a building with big windows right on the high street, so we often get people randomly wandering in (not much to do round here after tge supermarket closes!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The children loved it because they got to play with lighted candles and toast little jelly sweets in a flame. They get the same pleasure from toasting marshmallows on a barbeque; and they probably learn more about the love of God in doing so than they do from an orange with a bit of red ribbon round it.
Misery guts. It's their annual reward for sitting through the usual tedious Sunday morning ritual borefest.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And?

When some people go to church they love it because they get to see how many candles are lit up in the sanctuary this morning, what colour the fipperies on Father's frocks are; or how slick the power-point hymnal is running; how high they can raise their hands, how offensively radical the sermon gets, or how many tongues they can speak; or how many dark, nasty critical thoughts they can think about their neighbour while shaking hands with them during the Peace!

At least a kid innocently enjoying itself (albeit at some risk of setting the place alight) is more likely to bring a smile to God's face than a lot of the usual crapulous self-absorbed half-hearted bosh that's on offer in a lot of 'proper' worship.

And if they're learning more about the love of God by toasting their sweeties on the Christingle (and where is their supervision, may I ask?) then they're probably doing better than the average 'bah, pooh, humbug' Scrooges surrounding them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I wish it would die out - it's tacky.

However, while the Children's Society promotes it, it will probably last.

The pavement down the hill from one of our churches is always awash with discarded oranges afterwards. We tried to abolish the 'service' but the old people in the congregation liked it and wanted back. So is it for the kids or for nostalgic grown ups who haven't quite grown up?

Oh yes, I agree. Perhaps that is the meaning of Ken's 'blipsy', a combination of tacky and temporary intrusion from a slightly different culture? (That might be said of Benediction in the CofE also, but unusually I don't want to be naughty today).

And the Children's Society is particularly good at self promotion.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:

And the Children's Society is particularly good at self promotion.

Isn't that a good thing? [Confused]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is all at odds with the season of goodwill to my mind.

I've never been to a Christingle in my life, but I'm not the proposed constituency. As an Anglo Catholic I'm perfectly happy with outrageous camp in church, provided their is some serious dogmatic rationale, and you can't get more serious than the dogma of the Incarnation. A Christingle service would seem to meet both criteria.

Maybe hairy biker went to a particularly wet and unfocussed service - it has been known.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016