homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Carol Services 2012 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Carol Services 2012
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is a Christmas Carol service a significant feature of your church worship schedule?

I've been thinking about the format and the readings of community carol services. Most churches can't copy Kings Cambridge, and nor should they.

In particular the readings sequence could vary a bit. I have no problem with the traditional sequence, but on the whole we don't have nine lessons but six. I don't go that much with the serpent story from Genesis.

And do non scriptural readings feature in your order?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remember that the King's service itself includes loads of music, sometimes a couple of carols between readings, with weighting towards choir pieces.

I've compiled a carol service that follows the King's pattern with readings, bidding prayer and blessing as are (virtually) scripturally ordained. We had seven congregational carols, three pieces by the 'Singers' (they didn't view themselves as a fully-fledged 'choir') and a couple of poems. The length worked well.

I'm in favour of well-chosen non-scriptural readings. Poems are normally a good bet, though we've also used readings such as Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Episcopal Church's Book of Occasional Services includes a form for a service of Lessons and Carols, which is based on the King's College service. They give you a few options for readings, but at least in American Episcopal churches, the expectation is that your Lessons and Carols service is going to take that format.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well we're doing a service in the middle of a local park, complete with stage and big PA system. There are a mixture of readings and poems etc. Music is a mixture of normal carols and jazz arrangements, with a choir accompanied by a band. At the end we have fireworks [Smile]
Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, in the park sounds fun!

I find the kings service long and a bit static. I enjoy it on tv, when you can get up and make a cuppa!

But I think it can be a basis for a local service with maybe more involvement, and variety.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post 
We did 7 carols & lessons yesterday as a service celbrating Advent. Doubtless we will do the 9 lessons & carols for Christmas in the future. [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Wow, in the park sounds fun!

I find the kings service long and a bit static. I enjoy it on tv, when you can get up and make a cuppa!

But I think it can be a basis for a local service with maybe more involvement, and variety.

I've experienced a service with the same outline as King's but with the people singing the carols from the Hymnal. Wow, was that tedious. Used to do that in a previous parish on the First Sunday After Christmas, as the main morning service. So for the following few years that was a Sunday to go visiting elsewhere for Mass.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haven't got one per se, but there's a sort of metally outfit that does an annual Christmas Carol gig (yes, really).

I don't usually go for trad stuff done contemporary, but these guys are IMO very, very good.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Yes that would be both tiring and weary. That is why I think a more varied liturgy is appropriate for a local community.

I also think a different sequence of readings for a change would help - me at least.

In one parish I knew different singing groups, including a children's choir, offered an item in the programme.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christian Union at my uni have theirs (I am a sort-of member) tomorrow in one of the coffee shops on campus. I may or may not be planning on having my rosary prominently about my person.

I am going home before my church has theirs [Frown]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago, the CU at the university I was at was asked by the chaplaincy to provide a choir for the university carol service, on account of the fact that they knew that they liked singing.

I was asked to organise this, on the basis that I was an organist and singer myself.

So I got out the hymns A&M and asked the assembled masses who knew whether they were S, A, T or B.

Blank looks.

So I asked them leading questions about whether they tended to find hymns too high (that finds the potential A and B, I find). Then they realised where we were heading.

You'd think singing in harmony was the sin against the Holy Ghost, the response I then got.

They sang in unison. What's the point?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had someone in the choir once who I moved from soprano to alto for various reasons, including being of the view that this suited her voice better. She left shortly afterwards because God wanted her to sing soprano. Clearly the good Lord doesn't like his faithful singing underparts [Big Grin]

[ 11. December 2012, 08:57: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I had someone in the choir once who I moved from soprano to alto for various reasons, including being of the view that this suited her voice better. She left shortly afterwards because God wanted her to sing soprano. Clearly the good Lord doesn't like his faithful singing underparts [Big Grin]

Ha. I'm reminded of the old joke: how many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?
Three. One to go up the ladder and two to bitch that it's far too high for her but they could do it easily.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

We have a very trad Carols and Lessons (this coming Sunday, so as not to overload just before Christmas) - Isaiah's prophecies x 2, the Annunciation, the Birth, the Shepherds, the Wise Men, and the Johannine Prologue as a liturgical Gospel (i.e. with Alleluias and incense [Big Grin] ). We begin with Eric Milner-White's now rather old-fashioned Bidding Prayer, and include well-known (we hope) hymns and carols to be sung by all.

Mulled wine afterwards, of course!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Unda Maris
Shipmate
# 4983

- Posted      Profile for Unda Maris   Email Unda Maris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Order of Service for Kings 2012 has been revealed to us!

--------------------
Competence costs extra!

Posts: 66 | From: Solihull - the centre of England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Unda Maris:

I observe that the congregation have the dots for the bits they should sing. Would that it were ever thus; ironically it's probably the one service where they don't really need them [Biased]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:

Ha. I'm reminded of the old joke: how many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?
Three. One to go up the ladder and two to bitch that it's far too high for her but they could do it easily.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

/alto

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a soprano who gets bored singing the tune, so always sang alto in choir. Our school choir master always got the altos to sing the descants with the sopranos, which made it the best of both worlds to me.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Circumventing the choir issue, in answer to the OP: yes, the carol service (Carols by Candlelight in our shack) is an important part of our worship schedule over Christmas.

In response to the ever-lower numbers we were getting to it in its traditional slot (6:30pm Sunday), one of our deacons suggested moving it to late on a Saturday afternoon (normally the Saturday before Christmas Day). Our numbers doubled and the event had a much better feel to it - like we were part of something special, rather than just doing something we'd always done for the sake of it.

Then, two years ago, some children from our local Infant School came and sang some songs as part of the service, which they did again last year and are doing again this year. Which again has boosted the numbers to the point where we have pretty much a full house how. But more significantly, it feels a bit like a community event now, like a section of the community, believers and non-believers, are coming together to hear and tell the Nativity story and, maybe, hopefully, if I manage to string a coherent sentence together, perhaps hear something of its meaning for us.

Many of them won't come back to our church again till next year, but that doesn't matter (at least not to me) - there's been a wonderful sense of people coming together these last couple of years, which to the sentimental part of me feels "Christmassy".

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
Is a Christmas Carol service a significant feature of your church worship schedule?

Whilst not being Kings, we do the Nine lessons and carols, with Choir anthems interspersed and it's quite a big deal, it's probably the most popular service we do as a Church (or it certainly has been in the three years I've been in the Church I attend) bigger than midnight mass I guess.

As a proper 'by candlelight' thing I get to go over the top with candles, and is the one time of year I'm allowed to indulge my aesthetic side at the behest of my Priest in the rather MOTR CinW Church I attend... candles galore, and the way I do it, it would probably make for a really impressive twighlight Pentecost service with the reredos a flame with candles...

I've been meaning to suggest we get a tasteful nativity icon to make as the centre piece on the shelf of the reredos for 9 lessons, since my candles are laid out to lead the congregation to focus on the Altar, but didn't this year, will save up and suggest it for next year.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here, in a city and region where everyone heads south to escape the oppressive heat and humidity at Christmas, and in a faith community that is tiny anyway, we will just have a skeletal form of 9L&C ... probably about five people sweltering under the night sky. But it will be fun, and while we won't have the choir pieces we will sing and read the other items with gusto and aplomb.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
Whilst not being Kings, we do the Nine lessons and carols, with Choir anthems interspersed and it's quite a big deal, it's probably the most popular service we do as a Church (or it certainly has been in the three years I've been in the Church I attend) bigger than midnight mass I guess.

Same here. We stick fairly closely to the Kings structure. A part of me wants to shake things up a bit, but then the other part of me says "don't change something that is loved and popular".

We certainly get far more to this service than to midnight communion on Christmas Eve. The only other services in the year that "compete" with the Carol Service in terms of attendance are the Christmas Eve Crib Service and Remembrance Sunday.

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
As a proper 'by candlelight' thing I get to go over the top with candles, and is the one time of year I'm allowed to indulge my aesthetic side at the behest of my Priest in the rather MOTR CinW Church I attend... candles galore, and the way I do it, it would probably make for a really impressive twighlight Pentecost service with the reredos a flame with candles...

Again, we have OODLES of candles. And very atmospheric it is, too.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes we do the Sunday after Christmas. I always plan to be out of town. Lessons and Carols sung by a small handful of elderly people and an organist who is old and often missing notes. It is bad enough with the three hymns on a regular Sunday, but a whole morning of it is more then I can stand. Spoken by an old lady who can not sing well herself.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must say I do like this year's music selections better than last year's. I may get Dr. Mr. the Ferret to listen to it with me this time around.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was fortunate to serve for a number of years as Parish Musician for an ECUSA Church outside of Cincinnati, OH where there was a Choir of Men & Boys, a la King's et al. In additon to quarterly Choral Evensong, a Service of Nine L&C was an overwhelmingly popular service each December. At it's high point, we emulated the King's service completely, with two carols (or cong. hymn & carol) after each reading. Having moved on from that Parish, as well as church music service (temoporarily, I pray), I miss it intensely. I also find it very difficult to be in the congregation instead of in front of the choir, but that's another issue entirely! YES, candles a-plenty, YES, community/town involvement, yes, yes, yes. Love it all.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So as not to single sopranos out for obloquy, here is an old joke about tenors (which when I was involved in planning a carol service, were the voice we couldn't find).

"A lack of tenors produces an aching void, but a large tenor section fills the void without removing the ache."

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
A part of me wants to shake things up a bit, but then the other part of me says "don't change something that is loved and popular".

This.

We have a short 'carol service' before Christmas Eve Mass; a bit of a sing-a-long of the carols that don't fit into the other two masses. Very much not correct in any way, and a bit tired, although enjoyable to play at.

I try to pick hymns in a logical sequence that lead up to the beginning of mass, but the lack of available bodies to help with anything revolutionary is noticable. I swear, next year, that I'll put more preparation into it and rejig the format I inherited completely, but then I've sworn that the last couple of years. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the four churches in our parish is used to some sort of carol service on the morning of Advent 3, but they don't like it to run too long. Since I'm organising it I'm going down the route of 5 carols + 4 lessons = 9. Works for me!
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Panda - or others- what is the first scripture reading used at your carol service?

I ask because in a way it sets the tone, and also I don't like the fall story!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our fancy carols and lessons service is our Advent Carols and Lessons service which features many choral goodies. And a very nice and tasty reception afterwards, including several types of wine. (It took place this last Sunday evening, but unfortunately I missed it.)

On the Sunday after Christmas we have a shortened Christmas carols (all congregational) and 5 lessons which leads into the Eucharist. There is no sermon (as per the Book of Occasional Services guidelines), the choir has the day off after its Christmas efforts, although there is usually a solo, and the Bidding prayer at the beginning (as per the Book of Occasional Services) takes the place of the Prayers of the People. And again, as per the Book of Occasional Services guidelines, there is no sermon. So it is not tedious in length. It gives priests and choirs a bit of a break after all their Christmas efforts, and it's a way of extending Christmas beyond Dec. 25 (since I am glad to report that we are firm in not doing Christmas music before Christmas Eve). And it is done in conjunction with our annual Christmas breakfast. (I'll be reading one of the lessons. Lesson 4 is the Luke 2 account, and Lesson 5 is John 1:1-18 -- this last reading gets the usual liturgical treatment for the Gospel, i.e., Gospel procession and candles)

[ 13. December 2012, 04:32: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Lesson 5 is John 1:1-18 -- this last reading gets the usual liturgical treatment for the Gospel, i.e., Gospel procession and candles)

I always remember this being entitled, "St John unfolds the mystery of the Incarnation" in the order of service for our school carol service (and I'm sure elsewhere, too). It definitely deserves special treatment.

I think the ASB had it as the midnight Gospel, which I much prefer to a birth narrative.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
GordonThePenguin
Shipmate
# 2106

- Posted      Profile for GordonThePenguin   Email GordonThePenguin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My school used the same title for the last lesson and we always stood for it.
Posts: 401 | From: Heidelberg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I think the ASB had it as the midnight Gospel, which I much prefer to a birth narrative.

The ASB did not specify anything for midnight - it just gave a number of options (ie John 1 and Luke 2) for Christmas, whether in the day or night. CW in effect does the same.

The missal gave John 1 for Christmas Day (which is why it is the only Christmas gospel in the 1662 BCP) and Luke 2. (There are two sets of readings in the 1549 BCP, but not 1552.)

I can see the thought that you get grown ups at midnight and children in the morning when Luke 2 is more appropriate. I came across that transposition years ago in a C of E church that rigorously followed Roman usage (with imagination and pastoral realism.)

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have three sets of readings for use on Christmas Day (including midnight) and can choose which to use at which service. I always use the John 1 at midnight - somehow that seems to me to be the supremely appropriate moment to be proclaiming that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The parish church has an evening 9 lessons and carol formal format and at chapel we offer an afternoon less formal occasion. This year between carols we have a group of young people singing, and children delivering brief dramas about the gossips in Nazareth, the debate about whose turn it is to change the baby's nappy and a puppet play imagining how one wise man explains to his wife where he is off to...

This way in a small community the churches offer different styles of carol service to meet both traditional expectations and the family friendly option.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our vicar prefers that we do 7 alternative readings (all from Luke, except lesson 7 from Titus) for some reason. It is pleasant enough, but not quite as atmospheric. We usually alternate traditional congregational carols and traditional choir items, ending with a fun carol item with something surprising in it (eg. shouting, whistling, very fast singing).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I always remember this being entitled, "St John unfolds the mystery of the Incarnation" in the order of service for our school carol service (and I'm sure elsewhere, too). It definitely deserves special treatment.

You're right - though in my school it was "unfoldeth". Problem was, we always held our service in a well-knwn London church; the Vicar who read the lesson clearly didn't want to be there and so rattled off the lesson thus:

"In the beginning was he WORD and the Word was GOD the same was in the beginning with GOD in him was LIFE and the life was the light of MEN ..." (I may have got it slightly muddled, forgive me).

Fr seven whole Christmasses, nothing much unfolded for me at all! I love the reading now but it is treacherous for readers.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
IceQueen
Shipmate
# 8170

- Posted      Profile for IceQueen   Email IceQueen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunday last was a very trad Nine Lessons by candlelight after the King's College pattern, at the parish where I'm dragged in to help out by a relative.

We used the set readings as ever, framed with nine congregational carols and two choir numbers. To further the King's comparison we opened with the solo first verse of Once in Royal, although sung by an alto in lieu of a chorister, and finished with O Come All Ye Faithful, and Hark the Herald. Sadly, any resemblance to the King's service was purely structural; the less said about the choir the better. However, the parish loved it.

This coming Sunday, at my own parish, all bets are off, apart from the certainty that there will be candles. There will be trad carols, and fairly standard readings - it's probably the most trad service we do, but all I know of the order so far is that I've been asked to sing that Kendrick classic, Like a Candle Flame as a duet with one of the basses...

Posts: 209 | From: Warwick | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I must say I'm grateful to see the exclusive use of scriptural readings.

I was involved for some years in planning a carol service for a secular group.

Before I was involved there was only one scriptural reading (Luke) and all the rest were secular pieces, often comic, with tangential reference to the Christian faith, if any.

I caused outrage by suggesting that all the readings should be scriptural, but managed to convince the would-be luvvies involved there was sufficient dramatic opportunities in the Bible to show of their fine voices.

When I suggested John 1, the other main organizer said she had never heard of it.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I guess it goes without saying that this service is heard and loved everywhere that I have ever lived. Here on the U.S. East Coast we hear it while driving around in the car or wrapping presents.

We have a somewhat similar service on the first Sunday in December, but it is usually more focused on some important choral work (i.e. The Messiah or Magnificat) than purely lessons and carols.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:

I guess it goes without saying that this service is heard and loved everywhere that I have ever lived. Here on the U.S. East Coast we hear it while driving around in the car or wrapping presents.

We have a somewhat similar service on the first Sunday in December, but it is usually more focused on some important choral work (i.e. The Messiah or Magnificat) than purely lessons and carols.

Be about 10am if it's live, by my reckoning - am I right?

It marks the beginning of Christmas as far as I'm concerned. It means "finish off what you're doing and get ready to turn the computer off as soon as you're allowed at 4pm and GO HOME, where are to be found stilton, port, walnuts and beer."

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

Before I was involved there was only one scriptural reading (Luke) and all the rest were secular pieces, often comic, with tangential reference to the Christian faith, if any.

I caused outrage by suggesting that all the readings should be scriptural

That is interesting, because I have taken the opposite tack. In our service, I always include one or two non-Scriptural readings which reflect on the Christian story of Christmas, together with a short "Thought for the Evening". Most people like this, although my organist is not keen.

Although I love the Bible and do believe that the Holy Spirit can speak to people through its public reading, I also feel that the regular Christmas passages have become so familiar that they just flow over people rather than being properly heard. Given that quite a number of non-churchgoers come to our service, I would like to present something that engages with them and hopefully makes them think a bit.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It marks the beginning of Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

That's right. It sends chills up my back.

What I and others find especially wonderful are the voices and pronunciations of the readers. Most people around here don't talk like that. Are the readers chosen for their mellifluous voices, or is common to be able to speak like that. [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Are the readers chosen for their mellifluous voices, or is common to be able to speak like that.

Of course it's Reading under bright lights in front of cameras not just speaking. I'll bet the readers are rehearsed almost as as much as the choir!

Mostly I find the BBC broadcasts so formulaic that the readings and most of the music just pass me by. I record - except when I forget [Devil] - and fast forward to the next interesting bit.

My AS son just loves the annual repetition though. In fact, he will to the repeat as well.

[ 13. December 2012, 17:11: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

I was involved for some years in planning a carol service for a secular group.

Last year we managed somewhere inbetween, neither scriptual nor secular, we had a piece written by...the Venerable Bede!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Glad you liked it. I wrote Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as well, but the Anglo Saxon original has been lost.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

It marks the beginning of Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

That's right. It sends chills up my back.

What I and others find especially wonderful are the voices and pronunciations of the readers. Most people around here don't talk like that. Are the readers chosen for their mellifluous voices, or is common to be able to speak like that. [Biased]

Well, within Oxbridge. It tends to attract people with posh voices; at least that's how they sound to me having lived north of Watford Gap for nearly all my adult life [Biased]

I think eyebrows would rise at "In th' beginnin' were th'Word, an' th'Word were wi' God, and th'Word were God."

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, within Oxbridge. It tends to attract people with posh voices; at least that's how they sound to me having lived north of Watford Gap for nearly all my adult life [Biased]

It's an odd one, that. In my case, it caused the vowels to travel very notably southwards, by a form of osmosis. I can still "do Cambridge" if required, even 20 years later.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
[QUOTE]I can still "do Cambridge" if required, even 20 years later.

Which Cambridge tribe would that be Town or Gown?

Being a native east Anglian speaker (Cambridgeshire dialect), I can speak in either and also cross translate.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016