homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Carol Services 2012 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Carol Services 2012
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
As long as you keep the Christmas carols out of the Sunday morning services, I think you're on solid ground.

At my church Christmas carols are sung at every service in December.

In fact almost a quarter of all the songs in the hymn book are Christmas songs, so there is a large supply.

People would be quite unhappy if we did not sing them throughout the month.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
The trouble with Christmas Day carol services, and indeed with Christmas Day worship, in some places is the total lack of public transport.

Or draconian yellow line restrictios and exorbitant 24/7 car parking charges. One of my members actually came out of church a couple of years ago and found that her ar had ben ticketed. She had assumed that charges would not apply. It did rather spoil her Christmas.
That would be awful - I am glad to say that in London, as well as the congestion charge being suspended from Christmas Eve until January 2, parking restrictions are also lifted and not enforced from Christmas Eve until 27th, and on all Sunday and Bank holidays, which makes driving in to attend a special service very pleasant and stress-fress.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
As long as you keep the Christmas carols out of the Sunday morning services, I think you're on solid ground.

At my church Christmas carols are sung at every service in December...
People would be quite unhappy if we did not sing them throughout the month.

The 1940 Episcopalian Hymnal puts Joy to the World in the General Hymns section. The 1982 moves it to Christmas. But that does raise a question which hymns are Christmas by secular expectation instead of by actual words? A song that goes from birth through crucifixion through resurrection and possibly also coming again does not need to be limited to Christmas even though the first verse is birth related.

In the local Methodist church the new pastor allows one Christmas song (or 3 hymns total) each Advent Sunday, the old pastor banned Christmas until the 24th. I can see arguments for both sides. They do the doxology to "O Christmas Tree" all of Advent.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
In the local Methodist church the new pastor allows one Christmas song (or 3 hymns total) each Advent Sunday, the old pastor banned Christmas until the 24th. I can see arguments for both sides. They do the doxology to "O Christmas Tree" all of Advent.

I've really relaxed "in old age" on the point of Christmas hymns in Advent. On Advent 4, for instance, the First Reading was from Micah ("But you, O Bethlehem"), so we used "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "Once in Royal David's City." A cheat perhaps, but given that it was December 23 and some of the people there were invariably counting that as "Christmas Church," we thought it to be a decent pastoral compromise. "Joy to the World" is in the Advent section of our hymnal, so we used that somewhere in Advent, too.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With some Anglicans keeping Christmas / Epiphany to 2 Feb...when was latest Carol service encountered?

A friend said they had a Christingle at Candlemass...

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
With some Anglicans keeping Christmas / Epiphany to 2 Feb...when was latest Carol service encountered?

I don't think Christingle services are specifically meant as carol services,they can be held any time.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But they are strongly associated with Christmas I think.

However I don't know a lot about their history. I thought they were a mid European Protestant Christmas event.

I personally have not come across Christingle services away from Christmas or Epiphany. They do seem moe to do with darkness than a summer evening may permit.

If Carols are in some ways about folksy lighter traditional religious songs then maybe an Easter Carol Service is not a daft idea !

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Percy B:
[qb] With some Anglicans keeping Christmas / Epiphany to 2 Feb...when was latest Carol service encountered?

I don't think we've ever had a carol service as such after about 6pm on Christmas Eve. Carols are sung on Christmas Day, and perhaps on any Sundays that come between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve. After that its wise men and candles for a bit, but not actually babies in mangers.

quote:
If Carols are in some ways about folksy lighter traditional religious songs then maybe an Easter Carol Service is not a daft idea !

Well, there are Easter carols. Quite a lot of them. But most congregations won't know them.

It does give you the chance to use both Love is come again (which also works at Advent and Christmas) and the Best Traditional Carol Of All, Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day which works at almost any season of the year. Unfortunately the wonderfully bouncy tune just demands to be played in a morris dance style with whistle (or recorder) and drums. And an electric bass. Sorry.
[Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure that the Introduction to the (original) "Oxford Book of Carols" included a plea for Easter carol services.

Anyway, here is something relevant, albeit from a Reformed viewpoint.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... the (original) "Oxford Book of Carols" ...

[Overused] to Percy Dearmer, Martin Shaw and Ralph Vaughan Williams for their wonderful book, which might not be much use in churches but is one of the greatest contributions ever made to the folk music revival (and perhaps early music as well) Everyone shoudl have a copy [Cool]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Well, St Albans Abbey had what they describe as an Epiphany and Candlemas Carol service on 3 February. And St John Chipping Barnet (surely one of the last parish churches with an exclusively male choir?) have an annual Easter Carol Service. I have the service order of hymns and anthems if anyone is interested.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016