homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Every (Yawn) Verse. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Every (Yawn) Verse.
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
The worst to try and cut is 'While Shepherds Watched' as it doesn't make sense if you do. One reason not to sing it to the otherwise fun 'Ilkley Moor' as it goes on for ages.

Sing it to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, however, and it flies by.

I'm also with Chorister on the choruses. There must be a happy medium between the endless dirges of the OP and the endless recycled whoops of "Jesus is my boyfriend tra la la".

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But withput wishing to digress, I'd rather sing 32 verses of ANY carol, than have to sit through more than three minutes of boring, draggy, around the houses intercessions .

At least the Prayer for the Church Militant (and I'm no great BCP fanatic) just got on with it, with the subliminal feeling that God knows anyway.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Quinquireme
Shipmate
# 17384

- Posted      Profile for Quinquireme   Email Quinquireme   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm organist of an Anglo-Catholic parish church in London. If I choose to skip a verse or two, I just have to go up to the microphone and announce it or get a clergyperson to do so. We use hymn books (numbers displayed on boards), and the service sheets do not have the hymn texts.
Incidentally, if you object to certain verses, have a look at this blog, I like it very much:-

http://cathythinks.blogspot.co.uk/

Posts: 56 | From: SE London | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to enjoy Fr Leslie Arnold's regime at SS Mary & John in Cowley where, if the offertory hymn (or whatever) was too long to cover the action then it was cut brutally short by a movement of the MC's hand; and if too short we went back to verse 1 and started all over again.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like singing, even though I don't do so well, so I generally don't like it when an opportunity to do so is truncated.

In a former place the pew sheet specified, "We omit the starred verses from the hymns." Ancient & Modern Revised provides suitable stars; it doesn't, IIRC, cut out parts of a theological sequence when it does so, though I can't remember whether it has all seven (all essential) verses of "At the name of Jesus" to begin with.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I like singing, even though I don't do so well, so I generally don't like it when an opportunity to do so is truncated.

As a member of the committee that produced my denomination's most recent hymnal this was especially the issue for the Christmas hymns.

People like them, so there is great resistance to truncating them.

For the rest of the year, other than the beloved Easter hymns, we easily snipped them all down to three verses with no objections.

We even added a verse back in to "Brightest and best of the sons of the morning" (the one about the "odors of Edom and offerings divine") due to popular request.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the Ancient & Modern custom of putting a goodly selection of "processional" versions of hymns with more verses than you can shake a stick at towards the end of the book, and putting asterisks in the main part to allow selection.

My opinion on trimming verses depends very much on whether I like the hymn in question. I'll gladly trim every single verse of ATBAB, for example.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Trisagion! You've just given me the best laugh I've had in ages [Smile] . I can only imagine what was going through your head when you realized - having begun - that you were committed to your treble solo!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I rather like the Ancient & Modern custom of putting a goodly selection of "processional" versions of hymns with more verses than you can shake a stick at towards the end of the book, and putting asterisks in the main part to allow selection.

'We will now sing hymn number whatever, omitting the starred verses', is a much loved forumula in our church.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
... I'll gladly trim every single verse of ATBAB, for example.

What's ATBAB code for please?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

I'm guessing it's All Things Bright and Beautiful. Sometimes known as 'All things B&B.'
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a practical matter, if I have to sing four or more hymns and every verse of each, I may find my voice deteriorating by the end. If you can offer me a break to get a drink of water, that would be nice.

It seems to me that this is related to the question of how long a service/mass should last. I believe there have been other threads on that question.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
As a practical matter, if I have to sing four or more hymns and every verse of each, I may find my voice deteriorating by the end. If you can offer me a break to get a drink of water, that would be nice.

Carry a bottle of water with you. Or in fact, just a bottle, and fill it up with water when you get to church. This is what I used to do when I was in a (very humble) church choir.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

It seems to me that this is related to the question of how long a service/mass should last. I believe there have been other threads on that question.

Perhaps we were hardier in past years. I remember sung evensong and matins; four full hymns, sung responses, anthem, full complement of sung canticles and psalms. And not even the opportunity to get a polo-mint out of its packet. (Bottles of water in the choir-stalls? We'd've been massacred by the choir-mistress!)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016