homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MW2476: Midnight Eucharist: St James's Piccadilly (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW2476: Midnight Eucharist: St James's Piccadilly
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was disappointed at the Mystery Worshipper's downer on what sounded a quite spectacular celebration of the first eucharist of Christmas at St James's Piccadilly.

The music, preaching and liturgy all sounded wonderful. If the Rector has anything to do with it, it would have been magnificent.

The writer was overly subjective from the start saying that 'high Anglican worship does nothing for me'

It led me to speculate whether

(1) the writer was the right person to make the report - although they were clear in stating their prejudice early on.

(2) whether the writer will find that the worship of Heaven (probably quite High), will fit their tastes? One wonders if the incense in the heavenly censors will be less cloying than the sulpher elsewhere?

[added reference and link to report]

[ 05. January 2013, 15:50: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI, MW reports are intended to be subjective - they are that person's experience of that worship on that day.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The irony is that I don't think anyone identifies St James Piccadilly as a particularly high up the candle place and certainly not as Anglo-Catholic. I always thought it was MOTR-modern. The exterior, however, is charming: one of my favourite churches in London from an architectural standpoint.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So someone says generally positive things about an event but mentions that it's not to their taste as an ongoing experience... Doesn't seem overly dreadful of them to me...

(And, btw, on what grounds do you conclude that worship in heaven is going to be high anglican?)

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have they still got those hideous light fittings which look like those on Tube escalators?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:

(And, btw, on what grounds do you conclude that worship in heaven is going to be high anglican?)

Everybody knows that God is C of E, surely? [Biased]

--------------------

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Have they still got those hideous light fittings which look like those on Tube escalators?

Oh, I hope they're like the ones in the St John's Wood and Swiss Cottage stations!
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
So someone says generally positive things about an event but mentions that it's not to their taste as an ongoing experience... Doesn't seem overly dreadful of them to me...

A glance at the Book of Revelation and its depiction of heavenly worship. It sounds very similar to a High Mass with four and twenty concelebrants. Plenty of incense most certainly. And robes. Palms as well.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:

Oh, I hope they're like the ones in the St John's Wood and Swiss Cottage stations!
They look fine on the escalators. Not so much on pews in a Wren church.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
It led me to speculate whether

(1) the writer was the right person to make the report - although they were clear in stating their prejudice early on.

Why not? The MW is partly to highlight what a particular church looks like to an outsider. I often find that reports written by people unfamiliar with the tradition of the church they are reviewing to be among the most interesting and, I daresay, the churches being reviewed find the criticism helpful.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say that I don't really have much of an issue with what the MWer did. He/she was pretty fair throughout; the whole thing really came out more-or-less to, "It was well done, but it's not really my scene."

I'm a high-church partisan; it is where I live and what I do. If I had to MW a happy-clappy praise band service, I'd probably say much the same thing.

And yes, hopefully the incense in heaven will not offend the MW's nostrils when he/she is there!

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

For some reason objection taken to incense in church, reminds me of Queen Victoria when told that she would meet Abraham in heaven, and that he had more than one wife: 'Then we shall not receive Abraham'.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Even more of a tangential connection, but Bishop Mervyn Stockwood, when an evangelical clergyman objected to prayers for the dead, is reported to have said, 'In that case I won't be able to pray for 80% of my diocese.'

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think the lights in the church look more like the ones outside Piccadilly Circus station, not the famous 1930s style you still see on a few escalators (I believe they're listed).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was surprised it got a 1 even though the sermon received a high score and the MW-er praised the organ playing and the nice informal touch with the gathering around the altar for communion.

Given some of the positive comments, I was expecting a 6 or 7. I've done some Mystery Worshipping - many moons ago ... and I don't think I'd have ever given anything a 1, even if it wasn't 'my style' unless it was outrageously bad in some way or other eg, if they'd all started passing poisonous snakes around or if there was some health-wealth style over-the-top appeal for funds.

I think the text/reactions of the MW-er were probably fair reactions given their church background and preferences, but I think a score of 1 is incredibly mean and doesn't follow from some of the positive remarks they'd made.

It's a mystery to me ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I was surprised it got a 1...

Me as well. The report was quite positive, with criticisms only about incense and moderate Latin. I hope that the church does take those issues into account when evaluating herself.

It would not have avoided this circumstance, but I do wish the score question were phrased more specifically, such as "If you lived nearby, how would you feel about making this church your regular?" That would at least eliminate the occasional "3...I'm afraid it's too far away!" that we see.

This is too wordy, no doubt, but I wonder if it could be something along the lines of "If you lived nearby, and belonged to this denomination, how would you feel about making this church your regular?" Perhaps that could be an additional question. [Olaf is just thinking 'aloud']

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please remember that the question reads: "How would you feel about making this church your regular?" Not "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this service?"

The MWer could have thought the service was the next best thing to the celestial banquet itself, but could still not be at all likely to make the church his or her regular.

The rating of 1 means that regardless of how good the service was, the MW is not at all likely to make this church his or her regular. It does not mean that on a scale of 1 to 10 the MWer really hated the service.

We considered changing the wording of the question, but the overwhelming consensus of those who weighed in on the question was to leave it as it is.

[ 06. January 2013, 00:34: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have noticed that in some broad church parishes, Christmas and Easter are the only times when they break out the incense and go "High-church lite." While a lot of people only go to church during these two services, the services of Christmas and Easter don't necessarily reflect the average liturgy week by week.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

It's also the only time of the year when the word 'Mass' can be used without frightening the horses.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's also the only time of the year when the word 'Mass' can be used without frightening the horses.

This is something that puzzles me (and I’m sorry to say, irritates me a bit) very year… that so many churches that never normally use the word “Mass” advertise “Midnight Mass” on Christmas Eve.

My church is consistent – we call it “Midnight Communion”. [Smile]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet it's at 11.30 pm.

When young and self-righteous I can remember correcting my sister who said "Midnight Mass" (she went to a convent school) by saying just that: "It's Midnight Holy Communion".

It was at 11.30.

I'm wiser and kinder now.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
For some reason objection taken to incense in church, reminds me of Queen Victoria when told that she would meet Abraham in heaven, and that he had more than one wife: 'Then we shall not receive Abraham'.

Or the duchess who said to Fr. Sianton, at S. Alban's Holborn, that she didn't like the incense, to which he replied, 'Well, it wasn't being offered to you.'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
December 24th is the only time Holy Communion gets the moniker 'mass' round our way. But in every day parlance we use an Altar rather than a Communion Table, go figure!
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Midnight Mass does not necessarily begin at midnight. In a RC church near me, it began at 22.00 hours and advertised in inverted commas, "Midnight Mass".

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
quote:

This is something that puzzles me (and I’m sorry to say, irritates me a bit) very year… that so many churches that never normally use the word “Mass” advertise “Midnight Mass” on Christmas Eve.

My church is consistent – we call it “Midnight Communion”. [Smile]

The beginning of January a few years back, while taking my daughter and her paraphernalia back to university in London I found myself waiting in traffic in Finchley Road outside S. Andrew's URC (ex Presbyterian, I'm sure). The notice board listed Christmastide services, including, on December 24th, 'Midnight Mass' (sic). That did strike me as a bit startling .... What would John Knox have to say?
[Help]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
Midnight Mass does not necessarily begin at midnight. In a RC church near me, it began at 22.00 hours and advertised in inverted commas, "Midnight Mass".

I know a (CofE) church in Norfolk which more accurately advertises: "'Midnight' Mass". The position of the quotation marks makes all the difference!

And I suspect that the noise of Knox birling in his grave is fairly inaudible there!

[ 06. January 2013, 16:24: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presbyterian or Presbyterian-heritage shipmates may correct me, but I suspect that Knox would have been pretty much as cross about the mention of Christmas as he would have been about the use of the word Mass.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Presbyterian or Presbyterian-heritage shipmates may correct me, but I suspect that Knox would have been pretty much as cross about the mention of Christmas as he would have been about the use of the word Mass.

True. Calvin's wish for weekly communion had of course been frustrated; Knox on his return to Scotland suggested quarterly celebrations on the first Sundays in March, June, September and December so that traditional festivals would be avoided. The June date would, however, have coincided with Pentecost from time to time. Even so Knox's first Genevan service book has details of how to determine the date of Easter and of feasts dependent on its date.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always, charitably, assumed that an 11.30pm start means that's its approaching midnight by the time they reach the communion part - having gone through some carols, prayers and other preliminaries.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Midnight Mass is mass "during the night" - it's not actually essential that it be at 12:00am. Liturgically Christmas begins with first vespers.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... the nice informal touch with the gathering around the altar for communion.

It does sound nice. But I'm having trouble picturing it. If I interpret the MWer's description of the place correctly, it sounds like there were hundreds of people present. I've only done this at smaller services.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't surprised by the 1 because it was obvious that it was not the reviewer's cup of tea. I seem to recall a similar thread to this with another review.

I was surprised at the gathering round at communion as I'm not sure how that would work with such a full church. I've known that work well in small groups (especially at Franciscan meetings when you can assume everyone is communicant) but with a full midnight mass crowd?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to go there, so it's interesting to read the report.

I like the fact that reports are very personal and subjective, so I'm not complaining about this one. I'm slightly disappointed that we aren't having a discussion about the differences between the service style at St James and your typical MOTR-to-high church, but there you go.

A couple of bits of info:

Incense is indeed only used on special occasions. From memory I'm guessing it's used twice a year.
I suspect the 'latin bits' were a Taize chant.

The gathering round the altar does work fine, although I imagine any visiting sidespeople would spend the entire eucharistic prayer worrying about the risks of riots and stampeeds. Basically, once you've received you wait till the chalice is nowhere near the people blocking your exit then barge past them. If there's a mob of people in one place and no-one somewhere else, people will move to fill the gap. All this works with very little explanation, with the (numerous) visitors just following the example of the locals.

I'd say the service is MOTR-to-slightly high, but the serving is done very deliberately and there a few deliberate informalities compared to usual.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and to further clarify on the way communion is done, the pattens and chalices are carried round by appropriately licensed people, not passed from person to person as tends to happen in smaller groups.
Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
I used to go there, so it's interesting to read the report.

I like the fact that reports are very personal and subjective, so I'm not complaining about this one. I'm slightly disappointed that we aren't having a discussion about the differences between the service style at St James and your typical MOTR-to-high church, but there you go.

I'd say the service is MOTR-to-slightly high, but the serving is done very deliberately and there a few deliberate informalities compared to usual.

I agree with you that this is an interesting question for discussion. I must say I reacted with surprise when I saw the MW describe the church as an Anglo-Catholic one when it has never been described as such before, and that impression didn't come across when I visited last year.

Certainly the celebration of communion around the altar suggested a more informal approach than would be evident elsewhere in other MOTR-high London churches - I am thinking here of St Marylebone, St George Hanover Square and St Mary Abbott as examples of churches that would be at a similar place on the liturgical candle. All three use incense on occassion (AFAIR) but have choral rather than congregational mass settings.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to worship at St Jim's now and then and would describe it as having a style of its own rather than fitting into the usual 'MOTR', 'high' etc categories. Rector Donald Reeves created this and it seems to continue.

I remember the church being censed 'non-liturgically' before the service began.

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Marylebone and Hanover Square were far more trad, but not too far away at St John's Wood it was also the custom to stand around the altar (actually a drop-leaf dining-room table) and there to hold hands through the eucharistic prayer.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

quote:
I've always, charitably, assumed that an 11.30pm start means that's its approaching midnight by the time they reach the communion part - having gone through some carols, prayers and other preliminaries.

St Mary the Virgin, Times Square, this year was a good example of how to start First Mass of Christmas at 11:00 p.m. and not reach the Consecration until 12:10 a.m. Long processions with a lengthy station at the crib and another at the rood, full and bombastic hymn introductions and interludes, two chaplains with vimpa following the bishop about to receive, hold, and return his mitre and crosier, etc. On the other hand, with everything else going on, the canon of the mass got rather lost in the two hour liturgy.
Utrecht Catholic
Shipmate
# 14285

- Posted      Profile for Utrecht Catholic   Email Utrecht Catholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was most interesting to read the report on the Midnight Eucharist at St.James's Piccadily.
I love High Anglican worship,provided that the ceremonial is relaxed and natural.
St.James's is certainly not High Church or Anglo-Catholic, it has a central tradition of its own.
The Midnight Eucharists at St.Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Abbey are far more High Church,with a latin setting for the ordinary of the mass and the use of incense,which you hardly smell because of the large size of the buildings,
For smaller churches,I would suggest, use Russian or Greek Orthodox incense,much sweeter than the much stronger product in the western church.
Moreover it will not have a bad effect on your throat.

--------------------
Robert Kennedy

Posts: 220 | From: Dordrecht | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
St Marylebone and Hanover Square were far more trad, but not too far away at St John's Wood it was also the custom to stand around the altar (actually a drop-leaf dining-room table) and there to hold hands through the eucharistic prayer.

Oh yes. I think that St John's Wood do that at their earlier 9.30am service, and follow at 11am with a more tradiotnal (and fully choral) one.
Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I wouldn't criticise the MW-er unduly for making a 'category error' in terms of the churchmanship of St James's. If one is low church CofE and unused to incense that one would automatically assume that anywhere that used incense or a Latin chant at some point MUST be Anglo-Catholic rather than Broad, MoTR or in a category of its own.

I would've done at one time. I'm only aware of the range and nuances within Anglicanism through Ship of Fools ... I've long been familiar with Low, Middle and High, of course, but there are strands and variations within all three broad categories and subsets and shades and all manner of other stuff ...

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"High" is a movable feast. I went to Midnight Mass at the church in my parents' village and dragged them along. It was MOTR to low, albeit following the liturgy, but elderly male parental comment was "too high church for me".

Methodist upbringing, you see.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I have noticed that in some broad church parishes, Christmas and Easter are the only times when they break out the incense and go "High-church lite." While a lot of people only go to church during these two services, the services of Christmas and Easter don't necessarily reflect the average liturgy week by week.

The twice-a-year incense thing is true at our church (sigh)

quote:

One of our priests uses the word "mass" but the word doesn't appear in posted and written announcements of services except for the twice-a-year "Mass on the grass" -- an outdoor and very folksy not-at-all high celebration taking place in the park next to the church. We have it the last Sunday in May and the first Sunday in September as a beginning and an end to the summer. Casualness is emphasized and the priests wear shorts and t-shirts (with stole -- not necessarily in the liturgically correct color [Smile] )

Re midnight masses that don't start at midnight -- it seems to me that if it ends around midnight it could still legitimately be called a midnight mass.

And as Seasick accurately states:
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
Midnight Mass is mass "during the night" - it's not actually essential that it be at 12:00am. Liturgically Christmas begins with first vespers.

[ 08. January 2013, 17:59: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
One of our priests uses the word "mass" but the word doesn't appear in posted and written announcements of services except for the twice-a-year "Mass on the grass"

So I'm guessing he's either rather posh, or from the North of England [Smile]
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
One of our priests uses the word "mass" but the word doesn't appear in posted and written announcements of services except for the twice-a-year "Mass on the grass"

So I'm guessing he's either rather posh, or from the North of England [Smile]
Open air mass in the North of England in May?? I suspect the former. (Oh, just checked, it's North America. That figures.)

[ 08. January 2013, 19:11: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Southern English as I learnt it, mass and grass don't rhyme. In Northern English they would, both with a short "a". (As I speak, mass has as short "a" and grass has a long "a".)

But in old fashioned, posh (I hate using that word) Southern English, they would rhyme, as in John Betjeman's poem about St Barnabas' Oxford: "Where once the fritillaries hang in the grass/The baldachin pillar is guarding the mass", both with a long "a".

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
In Southern English as I learnt it, mass and grass don't rhyme. In Northern English they would, both with a short "a". (As I speak, mass has as short "a" and grass has a long "a".)

But in old fashioned, posh (I hate using that word) Southern English, they would rhyme, as in John Betjeman's poem about St Barnabas' Oxford: "Where once the fritillaries hang in the grass/The baldachin pillar is guarding the mass", both with a long "a".

[Smile] That has never occurred to me! I've always read those lines as I would speak them, i.e.. both short 'a's. I should have imagined Betjeman himself reading it.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always understood that only recusants of ancient family pronounce 'mass' with a long 'a', and that in anyone else, it is an affectation.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Try saying "grass" with a Devon accent - a short "a" sounds pinched and affected by comparison.

I think I have a recording of Betjeman using the recusant pronunciation of mass on some other recording. Nation's sweeetie though he became, a bit of him as a young man was a middle class climber.

[ 09. January 2013, 08:12: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass and Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass

Well, they rhyme [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016