homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Photography during the Service

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Photography during the Service
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does your place of worship handle photography during its services?

Does everybody with a cell phone take pics? Do strobes from flashes go off during the service? Is it par for the course and nothing of note?

Or, do the sidesmen approach folk taking pictures and ask them to stop, or to wait until after the service?

Does the master of ceremonies become apoplectic at the lack of respect?

Does the celebrant stop in the middle of the service until the offending paparazzo ceases and desists?

Is there a policy? Does it matter whether it is a baptism or a christening? A marriage or a funeral?

Does it matter if the photographic device is a relatively silent one? What if it is a DSLR whose mirror slaps noisily with each shot?

Are there only certain folk who are deputed by the Powers That Be to take photographs? Or, can anyone walk to the front and fire off a shot or three?

Are there parts of the service where no one would even dream of taking pictures? During the Gospel or the Canon?

How does the ubiquity of cameras and the modern need to have pictures of everything play out at your worship center?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've never banned photography, but it has never generally happened during a church service, to the best of my knowledge, except during christenings, weddings, or performances (eg the Sunday School nativity play).

During a regular service, it would be seen as a bit odd, but I'm not sure that the photographer would be stopped, unless they were photographing the children.

A couple of times I've taken photos during the service in order to put them on the website to give visitors a feel for what the church is like during a service, but always had permission from whoever was leading the service first.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a service a week ago where one of the parish's assistant priests was taking photographs (using a non-silent iPhone, IIRC) at various points during the service for diocesan publicity.

I don't object to this per se, but I think people should be given the option to object. Moreover, she was taking photographs during the Communion, indeed of people as they received Communion. I strongly object to this.

On the other hand, if there was a visitor discreetly and unobtrusively taking photographs, I wouldn't object in the slightest.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have an official policy that essentially says "No pictures during the service, but we will be happy to stage whatever moment you desire afterwards."

For baptisms and the children's program, we always have people who are ignorant of this, or simply don't care. We just sigh and look the other way.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow my place has been able to avoid a lot of these problems. We don't get a lot of spiritual tourists, having neither status, nor location, nor a noteworthy liturgy. We're just a bunch of pragmatic and polite sort of folks.

For baptisms, our clergy have most likely made the point ahead of time that photos can be taken before or after the service. For the children's Christmas pageant, there are a few -- and I mean only a few -- non-flash shots taken and they aren't really distracting or impolite. Probably the biggest issue was when we hosted the deanery confirmation last year, where clear instructions were given that the bishop would be available *after* the service to pose for photos with each church's confirmation class. Then it was wall-to-wall parents jockeying for position!

In a few weeks one of our parishioners who's in the photography business will be taking pictures during the service, at my request and with the rector's consent. I'm putting together a set of pictures of key moments in the liturgy as a teaching tool for the younger children. We will explain this before the service. We expect to take just a few pictures to illustrate the processions and the congregation standing, the lectors up front, etc. But here's the thing: we will most definitely not take pictures of anyone praying, receiving communion, or during the Canon. These we'll stage with the rector and a few "extras" after the service.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a common question at my church, especially at weddings. We don't allow wedding photographers to place themselves where they can be seen, and notes are placed in the programs asking people not to take pictures.

The same is true at other services, but the question doesn't come up as much. We do have a lot of tourists, and they are the ones who ask.

But when it happens we do nothing about it. It has never been that serious.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my only visit so far to an Orthodox church (the Antiochene Cathedral in São Paulo), there was a vested deacon (?) who apparently had the single liturgical duty of photographing the entire Divine Liturgy. Seeing him, I felt at liberty to do the same. Here's the man. Is it okay/normal in Orthodox churches?

My own shack is not architecturally interesting in the inside. The only reason people draw their cameras and cell phones for photographs mid-service are in perfectly justifiable Special Occasions (TM), such as Weddings, Baptisms, Confirmations, kids' plays, choir concerts and special liturgies*.

________
* This Advent was the first we had a Wreath, for example, which warranted many flashes during their lighting liturgy. Rolleyes at will, but it's an effective way to get Presbies used to liturgy.

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a camera (the official church camera, actually) flashing during the Christmas musical last week. It also came out for the children's program a week or two before. That's about it.

I may or may not get to baptize a few of the kids before long, so I expect some cameras. I'll be watching this thread for ways to ask people to do so discretely.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Episcoterian:
At my only visit so far to an Orthodox church (the Antiochene Cathedral in São Paulo), there was a vested deacon (?) who apparently had the single liturgical duty of photographing the entire Divine Liturgy. Seeing him, I felt at liberty to do the same. Here's the man. Is it okay/normal in Orthodox churches?

He's a subdeacon, not a deacon (you can tell by the way he's wearing the stole). But I have never, ever seen anyone who was vested and serving during a liturgy, not even an acolyte, take a photo, ever. The bishop is there, and it would be his call, I suppose. But, no, that's not normal, and I have trouble figuring out why it would be okay.

That said, people do often take pictures during Orthodox services. The services can be fairly photogenic, and I think, because most everyone is standing, and because it's common for folks to move around during the service, it's not nearly as distracting and disruptive as it would be in a church where everyone is sitting in pews. As long as the folks taking pictures don't interrupt things and stay out of the way of processions and the like, nobody seems to mind.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often take pictures during special services for the congregation's facebook. I see it as a way to promote our congregation. I will usually take the pictures from the back. I do not use flash. And my camera takes a silent shot (no shutter clicking).

I have taken pictures of the children's sermons. I have taken a few pictures of people taking communion. I will take videos of when people join by affirmation of faith and baptisms. Often people appreciate getting copies of the baptisms. There has been one person who asked me not to publish her picture and I have respected that request.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen pictures of the Most Blessed Sacrament and parts of the Mass where it is exposed, and it usually makes a feel a bit uncomfortable. Not sure I could articulate way - more a gut feeling. But in principle I can't see why unobtrusive photography ought to be a problem.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We apply the same rules as schools - permission required and an undertaking that any pics taken will not be posted on social network sites e.g facebook.

Permission can be given for the latter but we have a number of children/abused spouses who would not want their presence advertised to ex partners and/or parents. In previous churches, this has been a legal/court requirement (not to photo) for that very reason.

Photos of an empty sanctuary or of the "action" - fine. People? Very very strong conditions and reservations - vulnerable adults/children issues.

Weddings are ok as long as they don't do it in the prayers, at the actual signing or when we're doing the vows. But, it's subject to my guidance as minister and any infringement results in not being allowed to take pics inside again.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our general rule is unobtrustive, no flash photography during the ceremony (baptism and wedding). It gets a bit more detailed for weddings because the photographer gets his moment during the signing of the book and going up and down the aisle. But it's usually fairly straightforward.

In my last place we had indemnity forms and a list of printed instructions covering the practice of videoing and photography; and also copyright issues for music played during the service. Bit complicated but deemed necessary.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weddings: we allow the offical photographer to take unobtrusively throughout the service. We ask the congregation to respect no flash/noisy photographs.

Batpisms we don't allow at all, they tend to be services on the verge of chaos anyway and flash/noisy photos can disturbe babies and spoil the service for others, but we do allow as much time afterwards for photos and posing as famiies want.

Main services - we are not busy or pretty enough for anybody to have ever asked!!

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not really been something that comes up at my parish, and a general "don't be obnoxious about it" has worked well enough.

When looking for a wedding photographer, my fiancee and I had a surprisingly difficult time finding one that was OK with not taking photos during the service. Very pushy sort of people they are.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wedding will be outdoors, so a bit more photography is allowed. I did tell the photographer, however, that she was not allowed to take pictures during the Communion. We'll stage whatever she wants later.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well here is a concelebrating bishop (Zaragoza, I think) getting a snap.

Compostela

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't normally have anyone taking pictures during Sunday services, but when there are visitors, eg for baptisms or weddings, our priest usually makes a point of saying 'no photography during the service, please, there will be opportunities afterwards.'

Of course there are still people who might take pictures on their phones, but at least they don't flash or make a noise.

Personally I can't abide photography during any service. It's disruptive and annoying. A couple of years ago we went to a friend's wedding, where there was a professional photographer taking pictures throughout with a large clunky camera. He leaned over the ends of pews clicking away, and was told off a couple of times by sidesmen. I really felt like taking his camera and shoving it up his a***, he was so annoying!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any sound theological rationale for forbidding photography during services? Frankly, it seems like stuffiness and another example of the Church failing to come into the 21st century.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is like a lot of things, it is about disruption to services.

There is no sound theological reason for not allowing people to play the radio aloud during services, but it would spoil the worship.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Is there any sound theological rationale for forbidding photography during services? Frankly, it seems like stuffiness and another example of the Church failing to come into the 21st century.

As Zacchaeus says, it's about disruption. I was in the sanctuary for a wedding being 'done' by someone else and the photographer was standing at the minister's shoulder the entire time, right, smack, bang in the centre of everything - closely shadowed by the video-man. My abiding memory of the event is the hulking looming figure of the photographer, active and busy, and somewhere in the background where the priest and bridal couple, like bit players.

What it looked like from the congregation's point of view, must have been even worse. As if the photographer was actually a co-officiant. It was, naturally, the main topic of reflection for the guests.

Bear in mind it is a service of worship. Even at notoriously-photographed events like the school nativity, I'd imagine most people would draw the line at a doting parent getting up on stage to follow around his child with a camera.

A marriage ceremony should be about the marriage and the couple. Discreet photography - no problem. But when the show is all about the video or photographs, it's not an appropriate thing.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The congregation are participants, not an audience. A church service is not a show.

How on earth is it remotely stuffy to pay people the compliment of expecting them to act like responsible human beings?

[ 08. January 2013, 12:28: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We live in a digital age where it is incredibly easy to capture events visually. The wish to capture important milestones in one’s life is understandable. These events include baptisms, confirmations, first communions and weddings. A recreation of these events after the service is a cheap imitation. Unobtrusive photography during the service should be permitted in my opinion, and it is in our church.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The key word is unobtrusive, and nothing the matter with that.

For some of us reality exists in the interaction of living human beings, not in digital images.

The phrase "get real" comes to mind.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Caissa, so in other words you're actually in complete agreement with the stated policy of almost every other poster on this thread. (Bar two, I think.)

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
We live in a digital age where it is incredibly easy to capture events visually. The wish to capture important milestones in one’s life is understandable. These events include baptisms, confirmations, first communions and weddings. A recreation of these events after the service is a cheap imitation. Unobtrusive photography during the service should be permitted in my opinion, and it is in our church.

In which case it is even more important that the photographer is present when the marriage is actually consummated in the bedroom. If you don't have the photos it hasn't happened.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

So it seems, Anselmina.

Have you been readin Plato lately, Venbede?

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The key word is unobtrusive, and nothing the matter with that.

For some of us reality exists in the interaction of living human beings, not in digital images.

The phrase "get real" comes to mind.

Thank you!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the Epiphany service, someone in our choir started taking a video on her smartphone - I was rather surprised, but then realised it was one of her children in the procession to put the three kings in the stable. You should never stand in the way of a proud mother.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
You should never stand in the way of a proud mother.

Well, not for long anyway. Not with two broken legs.... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I encourage somebody to take pictures or videos during a baptism, and ask that someone be sure to bring a camera during the rehearsal. I then encourage the parents to show this frequently to the kid while s/he is growing up and to mark the day as being more important that the birthday.

Weddings and quinceanearas of course have to have photographers! And folks often want their first time serving or reading captured digitally for posterity and Facebook.

I can't see how taking a snap during a service somehow means not participating in that service.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Great Vigil at St. Peter's Basilica is 'wonderfully' interspersed with umpteen different announcements to the congregation via disembodied voices repeating the same message in half a dozen languages or so.

The most annoying instance, in my opinion, is the rather lengthy one immediately before the first Lumen Christi, reminding people not to take flash photos during the procession of the candle. I'm not sure which is more annoying--the flash photos that occur anyway in the darkened church, or the lengthy warning.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One church I attend now and then films the entire service every week. I find it a bit disruptive to have the camera up front swinging from side to side to catch all the action.

I take pictures for our church web site, but never doing the service, we stage afterward. Last week for the first time a visitor with a flash walked up during the service to take a picture of the priest at the altar. Mother was not pleased but did not stop.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The priest at my church tells the congregation in advance at which point of the wedding and baptism services photographs may be taken, with the request that they not occur at other times. This seems to work well. We don't have any problems at ordinary services when there seems to be no desire to take photos, except when there are visitors who don't know what to do in a church.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At weddings our 'instructions' to guests before the service includes the detail that they are free to take flas pictures up until the time that the bride reaches the front pew; then again of the wedding party AFTER the signing of the register; and during the exit from the church. In the case of people 'forgetting', I have a rather good 'death stare', developed from long years as a teacher: seems to be very effective.

In discussions with the official photopgrapher or video person prior to the wedding, I advice that they are free to take pics anywhere during the bridal procession but from when the bride reaches the front peew that they must be in their pre-set places from which they cannot move (definitely not over my right shoulder). These spots give them full access to key moments and even without the aid of flash (again not allowed after the bride reaches the front pew), no couple or photopgrapher have ver said that they were denied the best shots possible.

As for baptisms, if a silent video from a still position is present, I don't mind: continual flash photography would be an unnecessary, and I oftern joke that when the child is placed in my arms by the doting god-mother that I don't think the parents would like me to get distracted by a flash and drop precious Alginon, now, would they?

I've never given thought until this thread that pics by 'amateurs' or professionals could show in the background the images of people who would not wish their images to be made available on social media. No one has mentioned it before (perhaps they tend to sit in such circumstances where they can't be seen?) but it is something to be aware of.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
At weddings our 'instructions' to guests before the service includes the detail that they are free to take flas pictures up until the time that the bride reaches the front pew; then again of the wedding party AFTER the signing of the register; and during the exit from the church.

This is the way I was used to, until joining my present church. I still find it difficult that, now, photos and videos can be taken at any time, often in close-up and in ways which can sometimes feel quite intrusive. Especially when we are singing. However, I have rationalised it that if people really want to have our mugshots, and the sounds of our voices, gracing their wedding videos for evermore, then on their own heads be it. We're not exactly King's College, Cambridge.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerrytheorganist
Shipmate
# 4720

- Posted      Profile for jerrytheorganist   Email jerrytheorganist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do understand about the images of children being not good,,, but

If I want a picture of someones wedding, I actually want to see the WEDDING not some fake posed shot. If I want a picture of a baptism then there better be some water dripping off and not some perfectly posed fake shot.

This is my problem with only allowing fake posed pictures.
They aren't real, they are by their very nature a lie. I would rather remember the real thing, warts and all than have a perfect plasticine posed picture that I know is fake.

Posts: 94 | From: Plainville, Kansas, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, it's far more important to be fully present to the event itself. When I am married, God will be acting in my life to give me a new relationship with my fiancee, and a new relationship with Himself. The event itself is the important thing- not remembering the event.

We won't reenact anything. We will pose in front of the altar, I imagine, and have plenty of photos from the rest of the day. But the ceremony itself will not be interrupted by the photography. We will remember that God acted, and that will be enough.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A priest friend told me of a wedding at which he officiated, during which the photog was quite obtrusive, in and around the sanctuary, and was at one point standing on the altar. I was assured that this meant that the gentleman in question placed both of his feet on the mensa, and stood on top of it to get the shot he wanted.

I am afraid, had I been the officiant, I might have said something uncharitable...

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
The event itself is the important thing- not remembering the event.

Quite. And even more important than having a happy wedding is having a happy marriage.

Something that can't be fixed by the vast amount you spend on the dress, the flowers, the food, the photographs and the rest.

Zach - I wish you and your future partner a very happy life together. And I don't want to see the photographs.

--------------------

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
A priest friend told me of a wedding at which he officiated, during which the photog was quite obtrusive, in and around the sanctuary, and was at one point standing on the altar. I was assured that this meant that the gentleman in question placed both of his feet on the mensa, and stood on top of it to get the shot he wanted.

I am afraid, had I been the officiant, I might have said something uncharitable...

I was at a wedding when the photographer, put a very large lens over the shoulder of the priest during the blessing of the couple, so that he could get great shots of them kneeling.

The vicars's micro phont picked up the rapid clicking of the camera, so not only was it visually disturning but also meant we had interferance to hearing the blessing

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have similar guidelines to most and they work well most of the time. No flash photography during weddings or baptisms - not only is this highly obtrusive, the end result is usually that I (as the one facing the cameras all the time) end up blinded. When you're holding a small baby, this isn't a good thing - and it HAS happened to me!

Most wedding photographers are good and unobtrusive. We arrange before the service where they can stand and where they can move around during the service.

If you say all this with a smile on your face, it generally goes down well. People understand. If you start getting snippy and grumpy, people will just start being awkward for the sake of it. But it is important to give guidelines to all concerned before the service begins. Otherwise people will just assume that it is a free-for-all and chaos will ensure.

The worst experience I have had in terms of weddings was when I found the photographer suddenly appearing next to me as I was about to declare the couple husband and wife. Fortunately (for him, anyway) he moved away just as I was about to wallop him. That was the wedding from hell, anyway, and by that time I would have happily stopped the service, thrown him out of the church and then told the bride what an insufferable, stuck-up, selfish bitch she was.

Like others, we have arranged from time to time for someone to take quiet photos of our main services, for things like websites and leaflets. Very rarely has anyone been critical about this.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016