homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » vicar shopping - funeral (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: vicar shopping - funeral
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

- Posted      Profile for JJSchmidt   Email JJSchmidt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My grandmother has just died. She was active within her community and had lived in the same place for all of her long life.

Until a few years ago she also went to church every week.

Unfortunately the current vicar of her local church is someone whom she did not like. As I understand it the vicar had also managed to alienate many of her friends who had gone away to another church a mile or so away. Her attitude however was that if she did not go there she would not go anywhere.

We feel that it would be appropriate to hold the funeral in the local church in view of her connections with the community and the many people who might like to come.

However unfortunately the incumbent vicar is an absolute dealbreaker, in view of her very clear and well-stated views against him. There is no curate there.

I just wonder if anyone has any advice about how to deal with the situation given the strong bond that she had with her community and her clearly stated opposition to the vicar of the parish.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Assuming you're in the UK, is there a licensed Reader at the church who has permission to officiate at funerals? It doesn't have to be a priest......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please accept my condolences.

I wonder if the minister or churchwarden (or whoever at the office hour) would consent to the funeral being held in the church building ?

The yourself and / or her friends could pout together a simple service in tribute to her life; and any other elements you wish.

It is nt as daunting as it might seem; and could be very fruitful for you.

Hope this helps a bit. Do come back on here or pm if I can help.

Cross-posted with bishop

[ 07. January 2013, 14:24: Message edited by: Imersge Canfield ]

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Reader who is licensed to do funerals can still only do so with the permission of his/her incumbent. Even if a priest is brought in from elsewhere, if the funeral is to take place in church, then the incumbant has to agree to it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately from your perpective, the incumbent has the right to say who takes services in their church. Even if there were a curate or reader, the final decicion is with the vicar.

This happened to a colleague of mine, their eldely relative got on well with the curate and requested the curate take the funeral. Parish priest was a touchy sort and felt slighted and insisted on taking the funeral themselves. There was nothing the family could do apart from take the funeral straight to the crem

You have no right to pick your own officiant, if the service takes place in a parish church the parish priest decides.

Neither in the Cof E can you pick any church for the service unless there is some sort of connection.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like you may have to seek another venue for a service--a community hall, maybe. That way you might be able to find a reader or other leader who can do it.

Condolences for your loss.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was assuming that JJSchmidt lived in England as they are CofE?

If that is the case Gramps49, then sadly it may be hard to find another venue for the funeral. As it is not common practice here and a community hall may recoil at the idea fo hosting a funeral.

MAybe a different denomination? Is there perhaps a methodist church locally?

Funeral Directors may be able to help in this, they will be used to all sorts of requests from familiies, sometimes they have access to chapels themselves.

As this vicar is unpopular with your Grandmother's generation then maybe some of them have had experience of gettign around using this vicar?

I hope you fine a solution..

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One possibility is to approach the vicar in question and ask him to arrange for another priest. Unless he is entirely bizarre and egocentric, he will do this. And if he does not respond positively, call up the archdeacon to have him make the arrangement--- the purple sash and piping is to acknowledge their problem-solving role. It's hardly the first time.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

- Posted      Profile for JJSchmidt   Email JJSchmidt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would the Archdeacon be appropriate rather than the Dean?
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Generally, archdeacons deal with disciplinary and regulatory matters in their turf. Deans occupy themselves with the cathedral. Unless you meant rural/regional deans? For that, CoE folk would have more knowlede than I.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Augustine the Aleut, things might be arranged somewhat differently in Canada. But I can't see the archdeacons in the diocese I am in, getting involved in chosing an officiant for a funeral.

In fact they would not be able to do so, as the incumbent holds the license to officiate in that parish church and nobody can conduct worship there without the incumbent's permission.

The archdeacon would only be able to suggest that it might be pastorally sensitve to do so.

While most clergy I know, if requested would allow somebody else to conduct a funeral, it is normally for a reason such as the - clergy person is a friend of the deceased or their family, somthing like that. Not because we don't like you so while we want to use your church we don't want you there.

If this clergyperson is unpopular then the Funeral directors will have had experience of this before and what happened and would be a good place to start. Funeral directors are often good at putting things in the best way to get what the family wants.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I doubt this is something for the Rural Dean they might be able to have an informal chat with the vicar but they have no authority over them in this respect.

Rural deans would chair deanery synods, clergy chapters, oversee interregna, pastoral care of clergy, etc.

Overseeing the day to day in a different parish no...

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you have an alternative priest/officiant in mind? I did assist with one funeral where there had been some pastoral difficulties between the family and the local minister and because of my connections with the care home where the deceased had lived I had ministered to him and his family as he approached death. In that case I smoothed the ground with the minister in question and the Superintendent so that the family's wishes could be honoured. It may be that a conversation priest-to-priest could achieve the desired result. However, if the request is "anyone but the Vicar" then it may be rather more difficult.

[Votive] May your grandmother rest in peace.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

What seasick says smakes sense, you need somebody who can softly, softly negotiate with the vicar on your behalf.

Nobody can force the vicar to let you have another officiant in his/her church, but maybe a third party who can deal with it in a gentle way might win the day.

Good luck

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
One possibility is to approach the vicar in question and ask him to arrange for another priest. Unless he is entirely bizarre and egocentric, he will do this.

If next of kin wish to go to the parish church, this is probably the best first approach. It would take a particularly churlish and selfish incumbent not to say, 'fine, get your own priest and I'll okay it' - however reluctantly. It happens occasionally that one gets requests for other officiants anyway (friends of the family, past incumbents etc), it's not unheard of and not difficult to organise. However, if the incumbent is difficult, I'm not sure appealing to a higher authority is really going to help things.

I would've thought the funeral director would have some experience of options for a case like this, too. If the next of kin are happy to have the full funeral at the crem, any officiant can be chosen; a reader or other cleric if a CofE service is used. I also think most other Anglican churches in the area would be happy to accommodate the funeral. In such cases it's common for the officiant to drop a letter to the original parish, out of courtesy. Preparing the way with a phone call or visit, usually helps, too.

It's hard to imagine a cleric who would determinedly go all out to prevent the funeral of a parishioner just because they're not the preferred minister.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

Unfortunately it is quite sensitive.

The vicar came to visit her before her death about a dozen times as she was house-bound, and he was sent away as she didn't want to see him, always 'asleep' or whatever.

He turned up at the hospital the day before she died, and then came back the next day and performed the last rites as she was dying.

So he has been quite involved but very much against her wishes, e.g., the day before she died she said 'There's a service at the church, why isn't he there?'

He is/was quite determined, as was she.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

As a long standing clergy person Anselmina, will have a lot of experience of this. In the days that I worked in a parish office it was rare for a family to approach the vicar directly unless they already knew him. Most negotiations were done by the Funeral Director, which could take a lot of heat out of the situation.
It would appear that the vicar has been trying very hard to carry out his pastoral duties, unaware that it was because she did not like him that he was not allowed in. So if feelings are running high it might be as well to let a third party still negotiate for you.

But as Anselmina said most clergy (except in the case of my colleague mentioned above) would accept, something like Mrs S has requested that Rev. B conduct the funeral. As he seems to take his pastoral responsibilities seriously he might agree to following her wishes.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another possibility is a compromise position of sharing the service, if that isn't too unpalatable to you. If you have connections with another vicar, minister or lay worker - perhaps a previous incumbent or hospital chaplain or a family friend - then it might be possible to have both presiding at the service.

As a Church of Scotland minister with similar concerns about parish boundaries, I have done this a few times (though not because of bad relations with me, I hasten to add - or at least, not as far as I am aware!). As the incumbent I would usually start and finish the service, but any address/sermon/eulogy or more personal prayer would be done by the 'visitor'. Readings can also be shared out. It can come as a relief to hand over the address to someone who knew the deceased better than I did.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JJSchmidt:
Unfortunately it is quite sensitive.

The vicar came to visit her before her death about a dozen times as she was house-bound, and he was sent away as she didn't want to see him, always 'asleep' or whatever.

He turned up at the hospital the day before she died, and then came back the next day and performed the last rites as she was dying.

So he has been quite involved but very much against her wishes, e.g., the day before she died she said 'There's a service at the church, why isn't he there?'

He is/was quite determined, as was she.

Gosh, he was determined! [Eek!]

Did he feel it was his duty to do for your grandmother impartially what he would do for any parishioner; or was he just being plum obstinate and not taking the hint?! I know myself, that just because one has difficult moments with a parishioner doesn't relieve one of one's responsibility to visit and minister. But if it's out of bloody-mindedness that's another thing.

How difficult for the family, and at such a painful time, it only seems so much more hurtful if things are awkward. I suppose, then, it boils down to whether or not the family wish to go to that incumbent's church for the funeral, as to how tricky it gets with regard to an officiant. I really hope it gets sorted peacefully and with great respect for your grandmother. And I hope the vicar chooses to smoothe the situation, rather than make it worse.

My condolences to you.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

I don't know him personally. I know that he had been involved in some issues with other parishioners, there was something about refusing someone communion or something, and I think he is a bit 'odd'/lacking pastoral skills, so perhaps didn't understand when to back off.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

Well, when all's been said and done I hope your memories of your grandmother's funeral will be mainly positive and satisfactory, and not reflecting difficulties with the clergy. [Votive]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Zacchaeus writes:
quote:
Augustine the Aleut, things might be arranged somewhat differently in Canada. But I can't see the archdeacons in the diocese I am in, getting involved in chosing an officiant for a funeral.

In fact they would not be able to do so, as the incumbent holds the license to officiate in that parish church and nobody can conduct worship there without the incumbent's permission.

The archdeacon would only be able to suggest that it might be pastorally sensitve to do so.

I proposed this in the case that the incumbent was not cooperative-- a conversation with him is best although the suggesteed funeral director approach might well be the most effective, given their experience in the field.

Here, the archdeacon would be the first step in persuading the cleric to be active in finding a solution which would work for the family and the parish, and keeping the bishop out of it. I would imagine that a variety of stratagems would come into play, such as having a clergy friend of the incumbent to have a chat with him, and volunteer to take the service. It also signals to the vicar that he is under oversight.

In almost every Canadian diocese, an incumbent's power to withhold permission is trumped by the bishop's power to grant it. The existence of this rule generally means that it never need be applied.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't know him personally. I know that he had been involved in some issues with other parishioners, there was something about refusing someone communion or something, and I think he is a bit 'odd'/lacking pastoral skills, so perhaps didn't understand when to back off.

Does the funeral have to be in the Anglican church? I've taken a few funerals according to the Anglican Liturgy and I'm far from an Anglican Priest (at least by soem peole's estimation).

A lot of baptist or Methodist churches would be happy to do a funerla for someone in their locality and are genrally happy to be flexible in their approach to liturgy. Some (E-M included) don't even charge ....

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Funeral directors are often allowed to take funerals.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From a legal point of view, anyone is allowed to officiate at a funeral. However most religions (not necessarily Christian) have their own rules about who may do so.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I think the problem here, is that they want the church but not the vicar.

I don't know if they have approached him yet to ask for another officiant, and if so what the resopnse was.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it hopelessly naive and unpastoral to wonder whether the solution is to consider that heaven is a place where earthly dislikes are transcended, and whatever the one-sided human feud between the deceased and the vicar, it is over now, and so why not have the vicar take the funeral?

OK, point out why I'm an idiot.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

my parents approached the Vicar and the Vicar insists that if there is to be a service, then he must conduct it.

This was confirmed by the Area Dean.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

What day is the vicars day off? -

I'm just thinking that maybe if you 'had' to have the funeral on that day, for some reason he would agree to somebody else doing it.

JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

Well there is a cremation booked (very busy at this time of year), so there really is no option to avoid him.

Obviously is causing some conflict obviously between my Grandma's very clearly stated opposition to the man and the desire that she should have a send-off in the church that she spent much longer is than he did.

I have therefore suggested that ultimately it would be unreasonable to allow her dislike of him to exclude her from her final service at her own church and that therefore the funeral service should be conducted at her church, the presence of disliked Vicar not withstanding.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
my parents approached the Vicar and the Vicar insists that if there is to be a service, then he must conduct it.

This was confirmed by the Area Dean.

I am admittedly not knowledgeable about the legalities of C of E pastoral rights and responsibilities, but this this simply sounds a bit stubborn, unpastoral, and egotistical.

That said, it sounds like you made the most reasonable decision given the situation.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I suppose the nearest thing I can think of to explain it is like this.

If you had a one man doctor's surgery in a village and needed a doctor, and saying I want it to be in that surgery in my village. But I don't want the doctor who surgery it is, I want to bring my own doctor in.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
I suppose the nearest thing I can think of to explain it is like this.

If you had a one man doctor's surgery in a village and needed a doctor, and saying I want it to be in that surgery in my village. But I don't want the doctor who surgery it is, I want to bring my own doctor in.

Ah, thanks. I understand it, but (perhaps it's just my own personality) I think it seems to be very impolite to deny the request, especially for two priests who should be a bit "above" this.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Well the area dean can’t force the vicar to allow somebody else to take a service in his church, they would have been confirming the situation.

Most vicars would, if asked the right way, allow somebody else to take a service, but they don’t have to do so, as Parish occasional offices are their responsibility.

I mentioned upthread about a colleague whose relative had left a request for the curate from their church to take her funeral, (and the curate did have a pastoral relationship during the final illness) the vicar flatly refused saying it was their responsibility to take the funeral.

They were insecure and felt authority was threatened by being ‘over looked’ in favour of the curate, the family were gutted and pleaded but to no avail..

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here I sit, shaking my head at the thought that such a pastorally insensitive, obdurate man would allow his own need for control to over-rule any decent, humane response to a time of grief: and some people in the church wonder why others leave/refuse to set foot in a church????

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is obviously trouble that goes wider than this situation. Hopefully the request and the response will be noted by the area dean and, when there is more trouble, be included as one of the indicators that all has not been well for some time.

I agree with the fact that it is his call to do the service and hope that, if his integrity is in tact, that he will find a way to bring people around and do a good job for the family. Charity means that is the only hope for this. If he doesn't find a way, he is only adding another nail to his own coffin.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it's a very sensitive situation and a painful time for everyone involved. But we are being asked to comment and suggest help without perhaps knowing the full story. Are we 100% sure that we have heard the full story and have all the facts? What's the one more fact that we might glean that could change it all?

How long has the vicar been there? Who did he replace and what kind of relationship did he have with the people in the church? Why is the vicar perceived as insensitive? A group of people in the church have left.... who? How many? Why? Friends/part of an interest group? What else is going on in the church/mission community?

Even if there is a bigger question of suitability for this church, it does seem that the Vicar has tried to sort it by trying to get to see the person concerned. She doesn't seem to have responded. He's taken more than a 1st step to resolve it. What kind of hurt might he be feeling?

[ 10. January 2013, 06:43: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My advice would be that clergy in an area do general talk to one another. If you object to one particular member of the clergy, you are not pulling a fast one by seeking out another member of the clergy - they will doubtless be on the phone to one another immediately to find out what the background is.
It is also the case that you can't just "book a chruch" and lay on your own show - if a funeral takes place in a (CofE) church, you are recieving the ministry of the Church, not renting a building.
Of course it is entirely possible that your prefered minister might be unable to take the funeral anyway because of other commitments. In the environment that I work in, it is perfectly usual for a funeral booking to be accepted by the team, and then allocated to whichever member of the team is able to do it. If none of us are then collegues in neighbouring parishes are always happy to cover for us and us for them. Obviously if a particular minister is requested then we will do our best to enable that to happen, but if it is not then another minister will minister to the bereaved family instead.
In this context, the best option in the OPs situation whould be to just be honnest with the vicar about it, who should ensure that appropriate appangements are made.
I work in a very iconic church building that often attracts people for funerals / weddings etc who have not connection to the ministry team. On occasion a funeral has been requested but using a minister from somewhere miles away. I that case we would arrange for a member of the "home" team to also be present - to deal with practical issues, but also to present a public face of the local church, especially to mourners who are from the local community that the deceased was a part of.
It is all about teamwork. Work with them, don't be daft enough to think you can somehow work around a vicar, but still get to use the church building - it won;t work and you will just get their back up.

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

It's very easy to accuse the Vicar of being "pastorally insensitive" but from the description I read earlier of his visits to his parishioner in her last few weeks, It strikes me he was being far from pastorally insensitive and was trying to heal wounds before she died.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Even if there is a bigger question of suitability for this church, it does seem that the Vicar has tried to sort it by trying to get to see the person concerned. She doesn't seem to have responded. He's taken more than a 1st step to resolve it. What kind of hurt might he be feeling?

Many years ago we had a rector my mother couldn't stand. The less she had to do with him the better. He did call around one day, and she did NOT appreciate it. She disliked him even more after that. It was a total clash of personalities, and his "trying to get to see the person concerned" would never "resolve" the situation. Just because the Vicar in this situation visited the woman when she was dying probably made no difference to her at all and may have aggravated her dislike.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JJSchmidt
Shipmate
# 16864

My understanding is that there were a few incidents of unrelated pastoral insensitivity, such inappropriate comments in sermons, and refusing communion to a congregant. As I understand it in his previous role he also lacked the necessary soft skills.

I think you need a certain 'emotional intelligence' to be a vicar, that is perhaps not required from say a theology lecturer, or whatever.

So he might have come to see her, for instance, the day before she died, but her observation (to my mother, subsequently) was 'why isn't he conducting the service, there's a service on every week at this time', so while he might have been there on pastoral duties, for her it just confirmed her belief that he didn't do his job properly; as I understand it he forgot about the service and the congregation were stood up, and not for the first time - I think he is/was often late, and so she would pick up on that rather than thinking 'oh isn't it nice that this person, whom I dislike is here to see me', she would say 'er, shouldn't you be doing your service?'

[ 10. January 2013, 19:22: Message edited by: JJSchmidt ]

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

I sympathize with others here in that the vicar hasn't shared his side of the story, but I still don't think it matters. He's a priest, and his concerns should be the pastoral care of the family at this time of grief. If the family feels it needs another priest to attend to it, then of all people a priest should be able to put aside his ego and allow it to happen, for the pastoral care of the family, secure in his knowledge that he is doing the right thing.

That said, I would expect the family would have to pay the other priest to take the liturgy, where the parish priest might not have to be paid for it.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in Canada where the governance is different. In a somewhat parallel situation when my mother-in-law died, the not-wanted priest quietly facilitated the wanted priest who didn't know the church and hall. It was very fine, though we did end up with a fee from the unwanted priest. Which I paid cash for separately and never told anyone, until just now. I think it was right for me as an in-law and not as her child to be the one doing this bit. Maybe someone in your situation can take such a role? There is so much more that's important at this time. Condolences to you.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It does seem that this vicar bent over backward to heal whatever rift existed with the dying lady before her death. His apparent perseverance is admirable, and it seems unfortunate that whatever had gone so wrong in the pastoral relationship could not be set right.

However, to my mind that has very little to do with who should officiate at the funeral. The vicar really should find some way to accommodate the family's wishes, unless it is just completely unfeasible (and it well may be; not knowing the situation/locale well, I don't care to speculate). I fine Codepoet's approach above to be quite sensible.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It may vary according to geography, but in Australia funeral arrangement are almost always made using the funeral director as a go-between. So, even for funerals of regular members of the congregation, I would sort through the logistics with the funeral director first before looking at detail with the family. If there is any sensitivity, the funeral director will sound out the clergyperson discreetly.

For example, a colleague of mine was asked by the funeral director if he was available to conduct a funeral, and agreed to do so. Evidently there was some negative history between a family member and this priest, and the family asked the funeral director to find another. My colleague was uncertain what the issue was, but did not have to engage with the family at all.

All this is a roundabout way of saying that perhaps the funeral director could be the liaison with the vicar, and gently raise possibilities by 'playing dumb'.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

The fee is not an issue in this case, as stipendiary clergy in the CofE do not recieve the fee, it is paid to their diocese.
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First of all, my condolences on the death of your grandmother.
Going back to the OP, and looking again at your other descriptions of the offense caused by this priest, it looks to me as if there has been what one might call a feud within the church.
One party to the feud has left and is attending church elsewhere.
Your grandmother decided that, if she wasn't going to attend her own church, she wouldn't go anywhere, stopped going to church at all, though she made sure she was kept informed right up until her death about things the priest did wrong (coming to see her instead of taking a midweek service---someone had to have told her that the congregation was left waiting).

You are seeking to continue this feud after her death. This seems to be exactly what your grandmother would have wanted of course.

If this clergyman is so objectionable---to you, not to your grandmother and her friends--then you should arrange for her funeral to take place elsewhere. If she is going to be buried, there may well be a chapel at the cemetery. The priest at the church attended by her friends might be willing to take the service. It can't be a million miles away.

If you really want to have the service in the church your grandmother left, then you ought to sit down with the priest and discuss all of this with him. He may agree to your having someone else take the service. However he may not. It's his call.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

I did wonder reading the OP wether the priest is aware of the dislike to which the grandmother held him.

When he visited he was denied access because she was 'aleep' or other such reasons. He may have been a bit slow to catch on but was he ever told that he was not wanted by her.

I was also very sad that she denied herself spiritual sustenance because of her dislike of one priest

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This all seems to have been blown up out of all proportion. It is time all the parties involved sat down over a coffee and talked out some resolution. Despite the sad fact of the lady's death, it is not really going to affect her now where she is given a funeral service. There is no real need for the family to maintain her 'rage' and maybe they should negotiate honestly with the vicar concerned or else see the funeral director to arrange the service take place elsewhere.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An afterthought: The first question the Rural Dean or the Archdeacon will ask you is, 'Have you discussed this with Fr X?' If you have to say at this point, 'No, we've never spoken to him, (because grandmother and her friends couldn't stand him,)' or words to that effect, with the suggestion that you are hoping that the Rural Dean or Archdeacon will arrange things so that you never have to speak to the priest in question, then the rest of the conversation is not likely to go well.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016