homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Too intimate?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Too intimate?
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know there's a 'crappy choruses' thread within which there will be a number of references to the 'Jesus is my boyfriend' type of song. I don't like them either and I wondered if we could specifically discuss that particular 'romantic' genre (or we could revisit an older thread). Here is one of my 'favourites' that I can't imagine any truck drivers wanting to sing:

quote:

What a friend I've found,
closer than a brother;
I have felt your touch,
more intimate than lovers.

Martin Smith 1996 Curious? Music UK

Anyway, with that foundation of rather too intimate language used in modern worship, I wondered what to make of verses I read this morning in my morning devotions. They're from a Wesley hymn which is well-loved in Salvationist circles as well:

quote:

O disclose thy lovely face!
Quicken all my drooping powers;
Gasps my fainting soul for grace
As a thirsty land for showers.
Haste, my Lord, no more delay;
Come, my Saviour, come away.

Dark and cheerless is the morn
Unaccompanied by thee;
Joyless is the day's return
Till thy mercy's beams I see,
Till thou inward light impart,
Glad my eyes and warm my heart.

It struck me that we have here something that sounds like eighteenth century love poetry - quite florid and romantic - asking our lover to haste and 'come away', our lovely-faced lover who 'glads my eyes and warms my heart', and whom I long to see when the new day arrives and my joy can be restored.

I just wonder whether, with this example, sometimes we protest too much about modern 'love songs' to Jesus. It seems that in the 'ecstatic' tradition of the church, this kind of romantic language has a long pedigree.

[ 10. January 2013, 11:40: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say it's even older than that - the Church is the Bride of Christ after all.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog, sung to Ratisbon, at my staid anglocatholic shack, "Dark and cheerless is the morn" is a staple, joined to the verses "Christ, whose glory fills the skies" and "Visit then this soul of mine." The 1940 Hymnal leaves out "O disclose thy lovely face!" I dunno what the 1982 Hymnal does with that "Quicken all my drooping powers" verse.

Ole Chuck sure didn't pull his erotically ecstatic punches,
quote:
Those dear tokens of his passion
still his dazzling body bears,
cause of endless exultation
to his ransomed worshipers;
with what rapture, with what rapture, with what rapture
gaze we on those glorious scars!

Talk about the Cult of the Five Wounds!
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's an interesting one, Mudfrog. As best I can tell (which in this case is about 51% certainty), the version you sing is a mash-up of two separate hymns by Wesley (probably combined by him later). The version I have here - which claims to be the original - says the words were-

1 O DISCLOSE thy lovely face!
Gasps my fainting soul for grace,
As a thirsty land for showers;
Haste, my Lord, no more delay,
Come, my Saviour, come away!

2 Well thou know'st I cannot rest
Till I fully rest in thee,
Till I am of thee possessed,
Till from every sin set free,
All the life of faith I prove,
All the joy and heaven of love.

3 With me O continue, Lord!
Keep me, or from thee I fly;
Strength and comfort from thy word
Imperceptibly supply,
Hold me till I apprehend,
Make me faithful to the end.

The other ones are from "Christ whose glory", as The Silent Acolyte pointed out.

A quick Google suggests that the first verse was popular with at least one Victorian sentimental novelist.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I would say it's even older than that - the Church is the Bride of Christ after all.

We also have John Donne Holy Sonnet 14

quote:
... Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
That's an interesting one, Mudfrog. As best I can tell (which in this case is about 51% certainty), the version you sing is a mash-up of two separate hymns by Wesley (probably combined by him later). The version I have here - which claims to be the original - says the words were-

1 O DISCLOSE thy lovely face!
Gasps my fainting soul for grace,
As a thirsty land for showers;
Haste, my Lord, no more delay,
Come, my Saviour, come away!

2 Well thou know'st I cannot rest
Till I fully rest in thee,
Till I am of thee possessed,
Till from every sin set free,
All the life of faith I prove,
All the joy and heaven of love.

3 With me O continue, Lord!
Keep me, or from thee I fly;
Strength and comfort from thy word
Imperceptibly supply,
Hold me till I apprehend,
Make me faithful to the end.

The other ones are from "Christ whose glory", as The Silent Acolyte pointed out.

A quick Google suggests that the first verse was popular with at least one Victorian sentimental novelist.

Yes it's true. They started out as two separate hymns but John Wesley combined them into one for his 'A Collection of Hymns for the Use of The People called Methodists' in 1780.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mudfrog and all,

Yes, an interesting topic and definitely suitable for Eccles!

Just two Hostly nudges to keep in mind though...

i) As Mudfrog notes, 'Crappy Choruses' is a Dead Horses thread. I would suggest this thread should be for serious discussion of how such sentiments arise, and what their place in modern Christian worship is. Comments that simply dismiss hymns or composers without further explanation will not help this, so please avoid!

ii) Please do not post hymns in their entirety (or even majority)... Even if the hymn was originally an old one, subsequent revisions to the text may mean it remains under copyright (although the original of the Wesley is probably okay). Cite the relevant passage and, if you want people to read the whole lyric, provide a link to it.

Your cooperation as ever is appreciated...

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'O disclose thy lovely face' verse sounds a bit like a nod to the Song of Songs, especially the last line.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Jesus tender lover of my soul is a Salvation Army song from 1920 that was originally written as a choir song but has long since passed into the congregational sing book. It is a much loved 'devotional' song.

Again, it reflects a more romantic sentiment in worship.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Wesley apparently had reservations about some of his brother's 'fondling' verses. This hymn is probably a good example of such things!
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
John Wesley apparently had reservations about some of his brother's 'fondling' verses. This hymn is probably a good example of such things!

And yet he included them in his official compilation.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ii) Please do not post hymns in their entirety (or even majority)... Even if the hymn was originally an old one, subsequent revisions to the text may mean it remains under copyright (although the original of the Wesley is probably okay). Cite the relevant passage and, if you want people to read the whole lyric, provide a link to it.
That must be me at least in part. Sorry!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Anima Christi is a bit over the top. Sanguis Christi, inebria me. i.e. Blood of Christ, inebriate me is probably the most emotionally baroque line but not by a long head. Yet that was selected by St Ignatius to go in the Exercises, and he was an ex soldier.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think of better metaphors for God's unconditional love (as it is sometimes experienced) than some kind of transcendentally pure sexual ecstasy or chemically-induced euphoria. Then again, calmer, stiller metaphors are sometimes more appropriate. I know that Christianity is largely about moving beyond sensual desires to the more important things in life, but since grace and eternal life are abstract concepts, although we can experience them somewhat in this life, we still have to compare them to worldly things when using language to describe them. Of course, drawing closer to God has none of the negative side effects that sex sometimes has and alcohol and drugs usually have - other than the pain that accompanies being alienated from and by the "world" in the bad sense of that term.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
The Anima Christi is a bit over the top. Sanguis Christi, inebria me. i.e. Blood of Christ, inebriate me is probably the most emotionally baroque line but not by a long head. Yet that was selected by St Ignatius to go in the Exercises, and he was an ex soldier.

The English translation of the Anima Christi into 3-verse hymn form (by Anon, who gets about a bit) tones that line down somewhat to "blood of my saviour, bathe me in thy tide". Even so, it still makes a great communion hymn. Here's a link to Truro Cathedral Choir singing it, with the words obligingly printed across each frame.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
I know that Christianity is largely about moving beyond sensual desires to the more important things in life, but since grace and eternal life are abstract concepts, although we can experience them somewhat in this life, we still have to compare them to worldly things when using language to describe them

I have no experience to suggest that sensual desires are not part of the most important things in life...

[deleted duplicate post]

[ 10. January 2013, 23:16: Message edited by: seasick ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

We also have John Donne Holy Sonnet 14

quote:
... Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

I love John Donne, although in fairness his secular work goes along those lines too [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

The English translation of the Anima Christi into 3-verse hymn form (by Anon, who gets about a bit) tones that line down somewhat to "blood of my saviour, bathe me in thy tide". Even so, it still makes a great communion hymn. Here's a link to Truro Cathedral Choir singing it, with the words obligingly printed across each frame.
That's me humming for the rest of the day...

JH Newman's translation of the Anima Christi (which the Leeds diocese is reciting prior to Mass for the the Year of Faith) has this phrase as "Blood of Christ, fill all my veins" which I quite like as a compromise. Am not so sure about the translation for the rest of the prayer though, as "Water of Christ's side, wash out my stains" strikes me more as a request for laundry services than anything spiritual.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know we all seem to say 'Jesus this' and 'Jesus that' these days, although in my childhood we used to refer to 'Our Lord', and slightly bow at every mention of the Sacred Name when it occured in the liturgy, but apparently there is a 'worship song' ('worship song' haha) that has:

'Jesus I want your tongue in me.'

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think any of the older examples quite get to the level that some more recent material does. I'm ok with intimacy in liturgy and hymnody but some things do seem to go somewhat beyond that.

quote:
Kiss me with Your healing touch
Take me to the heat of the fire
Bathe me in your liquid love,
Oh, saturate me, saturate me.

I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean!

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is sebby thinking of Ian Smale's masterpiece, 'Lord, You Put a Tongue In My Mouth'?

All these 'intimate' or 'erotic' devotional hymns have their origin in the Song of Songs and the notion of the desire of the individual soul for her Lord. Some of them are more successful than others in expressing the soul's longing.
St Robert Southwell, famously, wrote, 'Loves I allow, and passions I approve; only I wish that men would alter their object and better their intent.' He aimed to take the Elizabethan love lyric and turn it to a devotional end. Exactly like Ian Smale---only better (understatement of 2013)

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no problem with intimacy in private devotion (though lousy writing is lousy writing), it's the communal nature of hymn singing that makes me more squeamish. Apart from anything, in prayer, God knows what you meant to say in your heart, whatever sniggering is going on in your head.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I know we all seem to say 'Jesus this' and 'Jesus that' these days, although in my childhood we used to refer to 'Our Lord', and slightly bow at every mention of the Sacred Name when it occured in the liturgy

Some of us still do those things...
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
I know we all seem to say 'Jesus this' and 'Jesus that' these days, although in my childhood we used to refer to 'Our Lord', and slightly bow at every mention of the Sacred Name when it occured in the liturgy

Phew!

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I don't think any of the older examples quite get to the level that some more recent material does. I'm ok with intimacy in liturgy and hymnody but some things do seem to go somewhat beyond that.

quote:
Kiss me with Your healing touch
Take me to the heat of the fire
Bathe me in your liquid love,
Oh, saturate me, saturate me.

I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean!
Judging by the tone of the whole song I'd say that it means that the author has a lot of, um, yearnings which may not be being fulfilled. (Or they are being fulfilled so much that she can think of nothing else.)

[fixed broken link]

[ 12. January 2013, 16:58: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... we used to refer to ...slightly bow at every mention of the Sacred Name when it occured in the liturgy

When the priest does this during reading the Passion, it can look like some kind of nervous condition, as in some parts the Sacred Name occurs every couple of lines. A former incumbent whre I now attend bowed and crossed himself at every single one of these.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always interpreted the head-bowing to mean when a relevant name appears in the missal, not in the lectionary, or hymnal, or other text.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

love poetry - quite florid and romantic - asking our lover to haste and 'come away', our lovely-faced lover who 'glads my eyes and warms my heart', and whom I long to see when the new day arrives and my joy can be restored.

I just wonder whether, with this example, sometimes we protest too much about modern 'love songs' to Jesus. It seems that in the 'ecstatic' tradition of the church, this kind of romantic language has a long pedigree.

Not just in English, but in German too, judging by some of Bach's cantatas. Perhaps Bach and those who wrote the words for his cantatas were influenced by the same Moravians who so impacted John Wesley? Or perhaps romantic language for religion was widespread among Germans of the time, Lutherans and Moravians alike - I'm sure there are people on the ship who know more about this topic.

Eg here is a translation of the well-known "Jesu joy of man's desiring":

quote:
Well for me that I have Jesus,
O how strong I hold to him
that he might refresh my heart,
when sick and sad am I.

or from cantata 159

I will still embrace you on the cross, I will not release you from my breast

or from cantata 154

Who will show me the way that my soul's most burning desire, my Saviour, has taken?

These are only short examples for copyright reasons, but in general the libretti of Bach's cantatas express a great range of emotion, including Song-of-Songs-style passionate love, and the intimacy of "my" Jesus, "my" soul's lover.

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HenryT:
quote:
quote:
... we used to refer to ...slightly bow at every mention of the Sacred Name when it occured in the liturgy

When the priest does this during reading the Passion, it can look like some kind of nervous condition, as in some parts the Sacred Name occurs every couple of lines. A former incumbent whre I now attend bowed and crossed himself at every single one of these.
I limit myself to 3 'Jesus's in a text, e.g. the Gospel - then stop. I think that has been standard practice since the days when we removed birettas and put them on again.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some commentators say that the romance or sentimentality you sometimes get in church music (e.g. some Edwardian hymns, worship songs and maybe even the odd C. Wesley number) is one of the factors in making church a less comfortable environment for men than for women. Not all men, obviously, but apparently certain kinds of men find it awkward to talk about another man, even Jesus, in this way:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known. (1912)

There's a short conversation on Youtube about this romanticising phenomenon in worship songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFljv_wit4k

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Some commentators say that the romance or sentimentality you sometimes get in church music (e.g. some Edwardian hymns, worship songs and maybe even the odd C. Wesley number) is one of the factors in making church a less comfortable environment for men than for women. Not all men, obviously, but apparently certain kinds of men find it awkward to talk about another man, even Jesus, in this way:

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known. (1912)

There's a short conversation on Youtube about this romanticising phenomenon in worship songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFljv_wit4k

Oh good grief. I occasionally receive that particular hymn as a request. One time I just had to take a deep breath and make it so, although there is plenty of precedent to not allow it in a Lutheran church.

When I pointed out (from a male perspective) the sappy refrain, she did understand some of my hesitance to use it.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vertis
Apprentice
# 16279

- Posted      Profile for Vertis   Email Vertis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As part of the 'worship group' in my own church, there are some songs I cannot bring myself to voice. Not all of these objectionables are simply 'Jesus is my boyfriend': I have profound theological disagreements with some of the statements made in the lyrics of some songs.

Happily I don't lead worship, so I can hum or 'aah' a harmony rather than vocalising lyrics that both make me profoundly uncomfortable and/or seem to show quite the wrong understanding of the God-man who will judge all souls. I feel I still contribute to the worship, but certainly not of one mind.

In my particular Anglican charismatic context, the repertoire of worship songs are all from the 1970s and later. One thing I find sincerely lacking (and this can be said of hymnody as well) are songs of praise to the Holy Spirit. So often I find myself wanting to worship that member of the Holy Trinity, and without the material to do so.

You may be able to tell, I wouldn't describe myself as a charismatic Anglican.

Posts: 14 | From: Monmouthshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Vertis

That's interesting. Why would charismatic Anglicans lack songs about the Holy Spirit, I wonder? I thought that charismatics, with their Pentecostal heritage, were particularly focused on the Holy Spirit.

Vertis
Apprentice
# 16279

- Posted      Profile for Vertis   Email Vertis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why indeed? If our God is a co-equal Trinity, why are our hymns of praise overwhelmingly directed at one of the Persons? Perhaps a more profound question than this thread was meant to address!
Posts: 14 | From: Monmouthshire | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

That's a good question. My Methodist Hymns & Psalms has a section on 'The Eternal Spirit', but it's much shorter than the sections on 'The Eternal Father' and 'The Eternal Word'.

It would take close study to establish whether Holy Spirit Hymns are less or more 'intimate' than others. Most of them are probably written about God the Son - Jesus. But it's easy to see how Holy Spirit references to 'consuming fire', 'panting', etc., could merge into a romantic idiom, if the author isn't careful. (Or that might be the author's intention, of course.)

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

My last paragraph wasn't too clear. What I meant to say was:

It would take close study to establish whether Holy Spirit hymns are less or more 'intimate' than others. 'Intimate' hymns or worship songs are probably mostly about God the Son - Jesus. But it's easy to see how hymns about the Holy Spirit, if they refer to 'consuming fire', 'panting', etc., could merge into a romantic idiom, if the author isn't careful. (Or that might be the author's intention, of course.)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With worship songs, it's not just the words, but the combination of those with the style of singing which can lead to accusations of inappropriate intimacy. When the songs are sung by people with popular love-song voices (sounding flirty, breathy, vulnerable and helpless femme fatale-like) then the words take on an additional meaning, not entirely pure and holy!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
With worship songs, it's not just the words, but the combination of those with the style of singing which can lead to accusations of inappropriate intimacy. When the songs are sung by people with popular love-song voices (sounding flirty, breathy, vulnerable and helpless femme fatale-like) then the words take on an additional meaning, not entirely pure and holy!

Nothing new there then; wasn't passion chorale once the tune to a love song that a minstrel would play on a lute to a maiden?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read so far and found myself humming

Jesus, lover of my soul
Let me to thy bosom fly...

In fact the subsequent words of this hymn do not strike me as erotic – for me it's the magnificent music of Parry's setting that moves me. Sad that with our current mix of older and contemporary hymns (no, not 'worship songs') I may never again join in singing the harmonies of Aberystwyth. I don't even know how many of our younger congregtion would know it.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016