homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best Criticism of RCL

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Criticism of RCL
Wyclif
Apprentice
# 5391

- Posted      Profile for Wyclif   Author's homepage   Email Wyclif   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been studying the RCL again (cards on table: our parish uses the original Lectionary bound with the 1928 American BCP, not even the 1943 revision).

It's very frustrating on a number of levels. One of the big ones IMO is the OT readings. Now, it's very revealing to me what the RCL committee chose to use and what to leave out in regard to texts— I think many of us, no matter where on the theological scale we fall, realise that academics have their fave OT texts but others are deeply unpopular and therefore not used.

Since many shipmates have lived in RCL-land for years, I thought here would be as good a place as any to ask the following question:

What is the best critical piece you've seen on the RCL? I'd prefer an academic treatment, but in lieu of that I'll read anything. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
No trees were harmed in creating this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posts: 36 | From: Safely in Lutterworth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am particularly interested in antisemitism around Lent and Easter and Frank Henderson has a practical paper here.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wyclif:
What is the best critical piece you've seen on the RCL? I'd prefer an academic treatment, but in lieu of that I'll read anything. Thanks in advance.

Not academic, but thoughtful, is this piece by Fr. Stephen Gerth.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit dated - and he doesn't appreciate the importance of the OT in the liturgy so he doesn't like stories about King David sinning - this is the priest whose first task was to turf out a social action scheme on his premises at SMVTS in favour of a club for rich children.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Everything I have to say is about the Roman Catholic Sunday mass lectionary, but I gather the RCL is almost the same]

I'm someone who's very appreciative of the lectionary. The more I study it (generally practically, through preparing to preach it), the more I see the thoughtfulness with which it was prepared. I'm slightly disappointed that the only good pieces of writing that tend to come out concerning it are critiques. Maybe I'll right the balance some day!

That said, I recognize there are some valid critiques that can be raised. In the 2nd readings, there's an over-emphasis on parenetic material over anything else. The way OT and Gospel readings are paired can sometimes be problematic. A helpful article on this is Do we Share a Book? by Michael Peppard.

Still sitting on my shelf unread is Fritz West's Scripture and Memory: The Ecumenical Hermeneutic of the Three-Year Lectionaries (Lit Press: Collegeville, 1997). At least if the blurb is to be believed, this is an exploration of the lectionaries as serious works of interpretation in their own right.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016